HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[THE INSTIGATOR] Open letter to Geoff Molson

Old
07-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Also when people worry about losing RFAs who are big parts of a teams' future, it is a strong indication of a "worst case scenario" type thinking process. Price is not going anywhere my friend, and it's really not a concern.
The likeliness of Price leaving when still a RFA are pretty slim, I have to admit. What I was saying in the blog though is that with Gorges gone, several players, Price included, could be tempted not to sign beyond their UFA age in order to test the market, instead of signing here long term.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
neofury*

Nice article. I'm 90% certain he gets re-signed. I don't necessarily think it's about the injury though it must play a part. I believe it has to do with Spacek coming off the books along with Gorges, Gill, and then the possible emergence of Emelin/Diaz.

I just think management is keeping their options open, could potentially be a good UFA upcoming defenseman they have in mind and they want to prioritize that over Gorges/Gill hence the 1 year deals.

Who knows. For now I'll chalk it up to trying to keep their options open. I'm sure they know Josh Gorges bleeds bleu blanc et rouge and that he'll re-sign with us. It might be that they told him to show them what he can do this season and that they promised him a big pay day if he performs.

It's a contract year for a few players on our team now

I expect those players to work really hard this summer and perform amazingly. Time will tell.

Maybe this was Gauthiers plan? The right players motivated == gg.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Haha, just posted an entry on this as well. Popular subject it seems.
Wanna read a spectacular blog on the same topic? Marc Griffin tweeted me saying that he like my blog, after I posted it, then showed me his:

Josh Gorges Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

Old
07-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Ummm no... not even close.

Also when people worry about losing RFAs who are big parts of a teams' future, it is a strong indication of a "worst case scenario" type thinking process. Price is not going anywhere my friend, and it's really not a concern.
i've watched Regher since he arrived with the flames, and while he progressed much faster than Gorges, and is physically a bit bigger/stronger (part of why he was more effective earlier), their defensive zone effectiveness and reliability was/is quite similar.

despite being a bigger body, Regher (at his best) relied more on angles and technique to separate players from the puck in the defensive zone, much like Gorges, both have the kind of team first/sacrifice your body mentality that makes them fan/teammate favorites, both are tough-as-nails athletes willing to play through pain/injury.

many similarities, and if Gorges's health is fine and he continues to improve, I could see him get pretty close to the level of effectiveness that made Regher a team canada member in his prime.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:32 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix-blog
Gorges has many friends in this dressing room, his best friend being none other than… Carey Price
I'm curious where this comment came from. From my impressions of last season, Price's best friend on the team has become Subban. When I consider "best" friends, I usually consider it mutually exclusive.

But don't let the haters get to you, at least your out there and getting hits on your blog, they are just bashing on the internet, at least your being proactive.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm curious where this comment came from. From my impressions of last season, Price's best friend on the team has become Subban. When I consider "best" friends, I usually consider it mutually exclusive.
They've been best buddies for years. They work out together here in BC, they've been seen together in the off-season on many occasions. Last summer, Duncan Keith rented some ice in Penticton and both Price and Gorges came to practice, along with Andrew Ladd and a few others.

Some signs are the camaraderie after games. Remember when they changed helmets, when they poke each other in the face, etc? While that doesn't prove friendship, they're little signs adding to what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But don't let the haters get to you, at least your out there and getting hits on your blog, they are just bashing on the internet, at least your being proactive.
I've been around too long to worry about people on the internet. Redux still carries an old grudge dating from almost 10 years ago. I do this for free, don't get paid for "hits". Simply sharing some thoughts, hopefully provoking some kind of reaction by often showing a different angle.

Old
07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Wanna read a spectacular blog on the same topic? Marc Griffin tweeted me saying that he like my blog, after I posted it, then showed me his:

Got a chuckle from it, but not really a big fan of joke articles, especially when they relate a signing and players/management of a team to characters in a film.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:24 PM
neofury*

Quote:
They've been best buddies for years. They work out together here in BC, they've been seen together in the off-season on many occasions. Last summer, Duncan Keith rented some ice in Penticton and both Price and Gorges came to practice, along with Andrew Ladd and a few others.

Some signs are the camaraderie after games. Remember when they changed helmets, when they poke each other in the face, etc? While that doesn't prove friendship, they're little signs adding to what I'm saying.

I've been around too long to worry about people on the internet. Redux still carries an old grudge dating from almost 10 years ago. I do this for free, don't get paid for "hits". Simply sharing some thoughts, hopefully provoking some kind of reaction by often showing a different angle.
In the playoffs last year I remember seeing a clip where Gorges was sitting in the reds and they showed him in Price's corner

Guess he prefers it to the press box.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Here's Eric Engels' take on it.

To answer the Price/Gorges' friendship thing, here's a quote from that blog:

Quote:
The Canadiens have acknowledged Gorges' role as a leader in their room, as a calming influence on best friend Carey Price, as a player who would sacrifice anything for his teammates.

Old
07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Amazing article. Funny too. Of course, it is overblown. Muller nor Martin could be as good or as bad as that. But I could see Gorges crashing the window and leaving on July 1st 2012.

Hopefully the Habs can convince him to take a long term medication/treatment and stay with them in the Cuckoos' nest.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Plante

You guys out east are honestly worried about the western boys moving back? Ho jeez, whats in the drinking water out east? Ol Josh and Carey aren't gonna move so they can play closer to home. And going to anywhere other than the canucks isn't home.

You people are just redonk sometimes. I bet all the other teams are scared of losing their french players to us.... O wait.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
You guys out east are honestly worried about the western boys moving back? Ho jeez, whats in the drinking water out east? Ol Josh and Carey aren't gonna move so they can play closer to home. And going to anywhere other than the canucks isn't home.

You people are just redonk sometimes. I bet all the other teams are scared of losing their french players to us.... O wait.
I'm not sure where you're getting that information from the blog or elsewhere, but that's not the case. What's said though is that by signing Markov, who came out of two major injuries including two to the same knee, to a shiny 3 year deal and denying Gorges of the long term security when the guy has been a work horse all those years, playing on one knee since his days with the Rockets, could very well open the door for him to free agency next summer. And if that happens, it may not be well taken in the dressing room, most notably by his best buddy Price.

No mention of the Canucks, out west, more than anywhere else. Could be Columbus as far as I know. He may go where the money is instead, as while he has too much class to say it publicly, it must feel like a slap in the face. Time will tell...

Here, he spoke to CJAD Radio today: Audio

Old
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're getting that information from the blog or elsewhere, but that's not the case. What's said though is that by signing Markov, who came out of two major injuries including two to the same knee, to a shiny 3 year deal and denying Gorges of the long term security when the guy has been a work horse all those years, playing on one knee since his days with the Rockets, could very well open the door for him to free agency next summer. And if that happens, it may not be well taken in the dressing room, most notably by his best buddy Price.

No mention of the Canucks, out west, more than anywhere else. Could be Columbus as far as I know. He may go where the money is instead, as while he has too much class to say it publicly, it must feel like a slap in the face. Time will tell...

Here, he spoke to CJAD Radio today: Audio
The thing people need to realise is there is a big difference between Markov and Gorges and it's based on talent.

Markov was a UFA and Gorges a RFA. Had they not offered good terms for Markov, he would of just up and left where the terms were good.

Gorges couldn't do that, that's why they didn't shell out the big contract yet. Pretty sure he'll be re-sign long term before July 1st.

It's not*

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-25-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: merged posts
bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:58 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i've watched Regher since he arrived with the flames, and while he progressed much faster than Gorges, and is physically a bit bigger/stronger (part of why he was more effective earlier), their defensive zone effectiveness and reliability was/is quite similar.

despite being a bigger body, Regher (at his best) relied more on angles and technique to separate players from the puck in the defensive zone, much like Gorges, both have the kind of team first/sacrifice your body mentality that makes them fan/teammate favorites, both are tough-as-nails athletes willing to play through pain/injury.

many similarities, and if Gorges's health is fine and he continues to improve, I could see him get pretty close to the level of effectiveness that made Regher a team canada member in his prime.
I respectfully disagree. Regher is a much better defenceman than Josh Gorges. As much as I love Yoshi, he'll never be at the level Regher was in his prime. Regher is a dominating physical presence, and literally a deterrent to carrying the puck across the blueline. The rest of their respective games is fairly similar, with Regher edging in most categories, but you can't discount being one of the most imposing defenders as if it's minimal.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I can ONLY see the following players in Montreal that can be built around:

Pacioretty - Eller - Kristo
XXXXX - Leblanc - Palushaj
Conboy - Bournival - Gallagher
XXXXX - White - XXXXX

Subban - Weber
Tinordi - Yemelin
XXXXX - Beaulieu

Price
XXXXX

XXXXX = Players we need

So by the looks of it we still need depth on the left wing (scoring wingers with size) and third/fourth line grit, toughness and size to play, fight and add energy.

On defense, we have a great group of young talent in Subban, Weber, Yemelin, Tinordi and Beaulieu but if Mitera does not pan out, we need a defensive defenseman with size, grit and toughness, a player like Phaneuf.
Ridiculous post if I've ever seen one.

Kristo, Yemelin, Bournival, Conboy, Leblanc, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu can't be relied upon to build around they're complete unknown at this point and it's likely most of them will never amount to anything but a brief stint in the NHL.

And then you ignore Plekanec who's a BEASTLY 2nd line center and pretty good first line center, still young, has played his whole career here and likely will stay until we don't want him anymore. And you do the same for tons of veterans like Markov and Cammy.

I'm probably mistaking the intent of the post... if so then just ignore me...

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
The thing people need to realise is there is a big difference between Markov and Gorges and it's based on talent.

Markov was a UFA and Gorges a RFA. Had they not offered good terms for Markov, he would of just up and left where the terms were good.

Gorges couldn't do that, that's why they didn't shell out the big contract yet. Pretty sure he'll be re-sign long term before July 1st.

It's not*
Talent only means more dollars committed, which makes the contract a bigger gamble, a bigger risk, as the Canadiens have more to lose.

As for the UFA/RFA difference, I fully agree... but Gorges will be UFA next summer and I have a feeling that Gauthier will have to do a lot of butt kissing to keep Gorges from at least listening to offers comes July 1st. And if he has a good season this year, the offers should be way up there! Gauthier could have, and in my opinion should have, signed him for 2-3 years and buy some of his UFA years until Tinordi, Beaulieu and some others are ready. But what do I know?

Old
07-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Records are meant to be broken. At least, that’s what they’re telling us. But hockey has changed and some records seem to be pretty safe, if not unattainable. Let’s take a look at some of the feats from the past which, at first glance, don’t seem to be in any danger.

Most career goals

Wayne Gretzky holds this record with his 894 goals. Of all active players, Jaromir Jagr sits 12th all-time with 646. Teemu Selanne, who has yet to announce his decision to play or retire, is next amongst active players with 637 goals. Jarome Iginla follows with 484 goals, good for 3rd amongst active players and good enough for 46th overall. Considering that teams don’t score as much as they used to, let’s just say that this record should hold for quite some time.

Read more: NHL records not at risk

PS: I update the first post of this thread with the latest blogs.

Old
08-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Habs: He who wants a spot, stand up!

Almost every year, during training camp, there is a rookie or two to surprise management and fans. It is also true that some players disappoint and are being sent down to their junior team or in the AHL sooner than expected. We can all remember Guillaume Latendresse who was dominant for two consecutive camps, forcing management to keep him instead of sending him back to his junior team. And last year, Max Pacioretty said openly that he didn’t want to get called up as he felt the need to dominate in the AHL in order to build his confidence.

So who will wear those shoes this year? Let’s have a look together at the young guys who will get the opportunity to impress, showing everyone that they’ve done their homework this summer, and that they’re ready to fight for a spot on the final roster.

LOUIS LEBLANC :
The Canadiens’ first round pick at the 2009 draft has now completed his first season in the QMJHL after deciding to play junior hockey instead of continuing at Harvard. While some feel he didn’t perform to what they expected, Leblanc had a good season adapting to a new league, with 26 goals, 58 points and 100 PIM in 51 games with the Montreal Junior. He also managed to make Team Canada for the World Junior Championships, where he performed well. It would be surprising to see Leblanc make the team and he will likely find himself playing in Hamilton even if he has a good camp.
Recent news

Read more... Habs: He who wants a spot, stand up!

Old
08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
neofury*

Good read.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Habs: He who wants a spot, stand up!

Almost every year, during training camp, there is a rookie or two to surprise management and fans. It is also true that some players disappoint and are being sent down to their junior team or in the AHL sooner than expected. We can all remember Guillaume Latendresse who was dominant for two consecutive camps, forcing management to keep him instead of sending him back to his junior team. And last year, Max Pacioretty said openly that he didn’t want to get called up as he felt the need to dominate in the AHL in order to build his confidence.

So who will wear those shoes this year? Let’s have a look together at the young guys who will get the opportunity to impress, showing everyone that they’ve done their homework this summer, and that they’re ready to fight for a spot on the final roster.

LOUIS LEBLANC :
The Canadiens’ first round pick at the 2009 draft has now completed his first season in the QMJHL after deciding to play junior hockey instead of continuing at Harvard. While some feel he didn’t perform to what they expected, Leblanc had a good season adapting to a new league, with 26 goals, 58 points and 100 PIM in 51 games with the Montreal Junior. He also managed to make Team Canada for the World Junior Championships, where he performed well. It would be surprising to see Leblanc make the team and he will likely find himself playing in Hamilton even if he has a good camp.
Recent news

Read more... Habs: He who wants a spot, stand up!

Leblanc had shoulder surgery and may need untill november.
My personal dark horse has got to be Avstin. He got talent, size and skating abuilty but can he put it together and earn 10-15 minutes a night? Does he need more time in the AHL? How hard has he trained this summer?

Last edited by otto bond: 08-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
neofury*

Yes for me Avtsin or Pribyl will be our next 100 point guy

Seriously though if one of those guys pans out... woot

Old
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yes for me Avtsin or Pribyl will be our next 100 point guy

Seriously though if one of those guys pans out... woot
Well that's the hope for Avstin but not sure about Pribyl....haven't seen any video of him yet so....
I like to think that Avstin's potential is a playmaking winger with the possibility of scoring and if he makes the team out of camp, I predict 12-15=27pts and I see him in his prime in the 20-30 for 50pts. anything more would be just a dream and anything less is more likely.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Palushaj and Weber for me.
Weber might not be considered a dark horse, but I fully expect him to prove himself. Personally, I have no doubt he's ready for full time nhl action.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
otto bond

Palushaj could make the team IMO
Weber I like and PG needs to make a decision with him. He has tools that many teams look for. For the first time, the Habs have an abundance of RHD who can move the puck and shoot it. Will Weber wait until hečs given a shot?

Old
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
scariest thing is that both Gorges and Price are western canadian guys, who spend their offseason's out West, and conceivably would prefer to play closer to "home"...

combine that with a Calgary Flames team that has a boat load of cap space opening up next year, and it makes for a scary potential scenario. (even with Kipprusoff, they'd salivate at the chance of "stealing" price, and i don't think they'd have much issue with paying Gorges ~4M/per if he comes back healthy, would be like getting Regehr clone and that is one market where the notion of paying a premium for a reliable one-dimensional player of strong character is not an issue).

i'll feel much better once Price has been extended for a long-term deal, until then, it's a concern...

Yah but gorges has expressed time and time again that he loves montreal, that it's his home now and he want's to win the cup there. And he doesn't just say it like every other player does. He says it with a passion. You can tell by his words and the expressions on his face during an interview or at an opening ceremony that he cares deeply about this team.
As for price, i'm pretty sure this was his team growing up and any chance of leaving it was douced last year when he re-signed. He fought through the pressure and criticizm of the media, the fans, teammates and everyone, since 2008. Do you really think he worked so hard to push through that so he could play another two years, just so he could leave at the end of it. He's in it for the long haul. and even on the offchance that he did ever considering going for more cash, montreal would match it. No carey, no cup, I can guarantee you that, mangement knows it too.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote