HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unproven but huge potential > proven stars?

Old
07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Nash plays wing so the whole point of getting Carter was to get a #1 center to play with Nash. No doubt the two will be playing together. Nash can pass and still pot 30+G and Carter can score 40G and still get 30A the other winger will have to be a Leino/Voracek type player aka the playmaker.
I think they are expecting Carter to be something that he isn't. When you have a winger like Nash it would be ideal to have a center that can dish him the puck. Carter passes about as well as Hartnell skates.

FlyersFanSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:56 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanSinceBirth View Post
I think they are expecting Carter to be something that he isn't. When you have a winger like Nash it would be ideal to have a center that can dish him the puck. Carter passes about as well as Hartnell skates.
hahaha....as good as Hartnell skates. Anyway if they don't know what they are getting in Carter then Columbus has bigger problems then a Carter and Nash line.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Why don't you stuff it? You're a typical, pissy Philadelphia fan. Turn on a player the second he has a bad game/shift etc. No doubt you were cheering in 2010, though. BTW, the multi-quote button is your friend, so unless you're trying to pad your stats, use it.
I'll make you a deal. I'll use multi-quote when you stop whining about a player that's been gone for weeks and isn't coming back.

Save the Montreal series of 10' I don't think Mike Richards has played well for 2 years and I'm glad to see him gone.

Quote:
I also own several flyers jersey's as well as a coyotes jersey and an old jets jersey. just because I have jerseys of other teams that almost never play the flyers doesn't mean I'm not a flyers fan. on the day the teams actually do play each other you will never see me wearing the opposing teams jersey. and to say a player with 66 pts was horrible and pathetic to watch who had 40 assists with no creativity is so incredibly stupid. Hitler thought it made sense to kill jews too so just because a statement makes sense to you does not mean its logical. I am sure most people would agree with me on this.

Think you should take your own advice. people have every right to express their opinions as do you but when you repeatedly say move on why don't you follow suit? some people on here think he was moved for a good reasons and others don't which I'm completely fine with but you can't keep arguing that he wasn't effective cause thats just ridiculous. most people know richie is a 70+pts guy so 66 is not much of a drop. and if your argument is that he was overpaid as compared to his production then you should be angry at paul for signing him at the price that he did. in several years even if he is only putting up 70pts most teams would kill for his salary mark my words. I mean leino and laich both got 4.5mil for 6 years. leino even got a 9 mil signing bonus and for only a little over 1 mil more you get richards. and those contracts were given out this year, three years from know they will be even worse as the cap rises and teams try to reach the floor.

oh and by the way you know you can respond to multiple people in one post right? seriously not trying to be a jackass but you can just hit the quote button and then copy and paste multiple quotes into your one.

Move on as in move on from the trades. Carter and Richards aren't coming back. Stop whining about it. Buy that Kings Richards jersey if it will help you get over it.

Team>Players and always will be.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-24-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: merged
Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I'll make you a deal. I'll use multi-quote when you stop whining about a player that's been gone for weeks and isn't coming back.

Save the Montreal series of 10' I don't think Mike Richards has played well for 2 years and I'm glad to see him gone.
No thanks, but welcome to the wonderful world of ignore!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Oh noes!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Move on as in move on from the trades. Carter and Richards aren't coming back. Stop whining about it. Buy that Kings Richards jersey if it will help you get over it.

Team>Players and always will be.
lol, now you're not even arguing your opinion anymore its just gone to "stop whining", "move on" with little to nothing else. I challenge you to go back and prove to me and everyone else on here that during the course of our dialog that I was whining. In fact the argument could be made to the contrary. Someone says something that you don't agree with and instead of having an intelligent conversation/debate you just decided to attack my dedication as a Flyers fan. I never once said I'm not a Flyers fan anymore or that they will regret this decision or anything even remotely similar.

So I ask you again in hopes you understand this time, why not take your own advice and stop whining that I and others don't see things your idiotic way and move on? Again move on from the argument, not the trade, the argument. Oh I have a theory that answers the aforementioned question, it may very well be that you're a flat out d@uche.

From my original post: "Personally I would have liked for the Flyers to have just moved Carter for Voracek and the 8th overall. Richards would have gotten the message and straitened out after that and if not you could have traded him at the end of the year before his NMC kicked in". Pay specific attention to the words in bold. I am and forever will be all about team over the individuals but apparently having an opinion that deviates from your own is where I went wrong. I guess in your eyes that warrants an attack on my dedication as a Flyers fan. This attack is why I continuously come on here and look for your posts not because I haven't "moved on". If you want to continue going back and forth like this trust me I have plenty of time.

Old
07-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanSinceBirth View Post
They just signed Prospal, so maybe he'll be the one to pass to both Carter and Nash?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
They just signed Prospal, so maybe he'll be the one to pass to both Carter and Nash?
forgot about that, main problem there is his health but a couple teams are gambling on players in similar situations. I even hope the Flyers take a shot at drury, maybe a camp invite.

Old
07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
forgot about that, main problem there is his health but a couple teams are gambling on players in similar situations. I even hope the Flyers take a shot at drury, maybe a camp invite.
I was hoping the Flyers would have gotten Prospal.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I was hoping the Flyers would have gotten Prospal.
Who do you think Homer would dump in order to get him? We're in cap hell and have maxed out on contracts.

Old
07-24-2011, 07:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Who do you think Homer would dump in order to get him? We're in cap hell and have maxed out on contracts.
Would be hard but if they dump Shelley in favor of sestito they save .55mil and if Lappy goes on LTIR and Bob is traded for picks/prospects it could be done. It would be very tight but it could be done. I don't think all this would be worth it though. What do you guys think?

Old
07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Would be hard but if they dump Shelley in favor of sestito they save .55mil and if Lappy goes on LTIR and Bob is traded for picks/prospects it could be done. It would be very tight but it could be done. I don't think all this would be worth it though. What do you guys think?
I can't see Homer trading any of his retarded signings, including Leighton, Shelley, Lilja, Talbot etc.

I'd hate to see Bob traded but I think for his own good, he should be. Can't imagine we'd get a lot for him so it would be a salary dump.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:12 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
If no one touches him, I'd give him a camp tryout, and make him pass a physical. If he passes all that, sure why not.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Just wondering when we entered cap hell?

We are in really, really good shape for next year too.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:22 AM
flyguys7475

when d-day happened, i wasnt even pissed that the flyers got rid of richards. i was so excited about brayden. but the day after when richards was on preston and steve it kinda hit me that my favorite player got traded though. but idk why id rather have huge potential

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:38 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys7475 View Post
when d-day happened, i wasnt even pissed that the flyers got rid of richards. i was so excited about brayden. but the day after when richards was on preston and steve it kinda hit me that my favorite player got traded though. but idk why id rather have huge potential
having Brayden and Couturier is great and the future is bright IMO. Flyers have a lot of real young talent and hopefully Paul holds onto his 1st and 2nd rounders for the next couple years so they can continue to build. You know it seems like when the Flyers pick in the first round they choose wisely. In 1998 they Drafted Gagne 22nd overall, 1999 they drafted Maxime Ouellet also 22nd overall, In 2000 with the 28th overall they drafted Justin Williams, in 2001 they drafted Jeff Woywitka at 27th overall, 2002 4th overall Pitkanen, 2003 Jeff Carter at 11th overall and Richards at 24th overall, No pick in 2004 but in 2005 they picked Downie w/ the 29th overall, then in 2006 they got Giroux at 22nd overall, 2007 JVR 2nd overall, No first rounders in 2008 or 2009 but in 2010 they picked Couturier w/ the 8th overall. I'm sure you know most of this but you have to admit thats pretty impressive. Only busts were Ouellet and Woywitka. In 2001 when they drafted Woywitka they also drafted Patrick Sharp in the 3rd round at 94th overall.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
having Brayden and Couturier is great and the future is bright IMO. Flyers have a lot of real young talent and hopefully Paul holds onto his 1st and 2nd rounders for the next couple years so they can continue to build. You know it seems like when the Flyers pick in the first round they choose wisely. In 1998 they Drafted Gagne 22nd overall, 1999 they drafted Maxime Ouellet also 22nd overall, In 2000 with the 28th overall they drafted Justin Williams, in 2001 they drafted Jeff Woywitka at 27th overall, 2002 4th overall Pitkanen, 2003 Jeff Carter at 11th overall and Richards at 24th overall, No pick in 2004 but in 2005 they picked Downie w/ the 29th overall, then in 2006 they got Giroux at 22nd overall, 2007 JVR 2nd overall, No first rounders in 2008 or 2009 but in 2010 they picked Couturier w/ the 8th overall. I'm sure you know most of this but you have to admit thats pretty impressive. Only busts were Ouellet and Woywitka. In 2001 when they drafted Woywitka they also drafted Patrick Sharp in the 3rd round at 94th overall.
We are a pretty good first round team. It's when they trade their first rounders their returns are "busts".

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:57 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Saying that we are in cap hell is taking it too far, but starting the season being forced to utilize LTIR isn't exactly great for a team either. We have to hope our guys stay healthy (or receive season-ending injuries...).

There is of course the possibility that Schenn won't make the cut and then we're pretty safe all of a sudden.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
kicksave27

It's hard to say in general "yes or no"

Trade's have gone awful either way.

In this case, i think that the 4 kids we got will add up to more than carter& richards. You get some cap wiggle room for a few years. Hopefully next year you can get a stud D since all the smaller market teams already topped out their teams with the crazy off season this year.

maybe it will work like abreu trade for the phils, change the atmosphere in the locker room with young talent coming in.

Then again the 08 team was young and had so much promise, most are now gone.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
malfeasance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

This year we have to add in last years bonuses (1.4 million?) and keep people on LTIR. And we have a very expensive backup goalie, which isn't helping. As always, its kind of a mess.

Next year.......uh, maybe for the moment. But once we sign & bump up JVR, Coburn, Voracek and Carle (or their FA replacements) + 3 more roster spots, then your $15 million or so in cap space is pretty much boned

malfeasance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
JoeFlyer

I think the cap situation is actually ok atm. A little close for comfort but looking at our young players and looking a little further down the line (say 2 years) we will have dropped a few of the bigger contracts freeing up a lot of cap for resigning. Bryz will still be there but that deal might not look so bad if he plays well and the cap goes up more.

The only iffy ones are Pronger and Briere. However, if Briere keeps playing well it's not such an issue (though we'll end up overloaded with centers again). Prongers deal is the bummer because even if he retires we have the cap hit I believe... Perhaps (and maybe it's quite likely) that we'll LITR him if he breaks too much. I think that's why Lappy hasn't retired in part, we'd still have the cap hit if he retired but on LITR we don't... Or so I understand it...

Anyway, I think that going forward the cap situation is actually quite healthy... I wouldn't bet on Homer not screwing it up though...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfeasance View Post
This year we have to add in last years bonuses (1.4 million?) and keep people on LTIR. And we have a very expensive backup goalie, which isn't helping. As always, its kind of a mess.

Next year.......uh, maybe for the moment. But once we sign & bump up JVR, Coburn, Voracek and Carle (or their FA replacements) + 3 more roster spots, then your $15 million or so in cap space is pretty much boned
We are looking at around 3 million and change in cap space next year, and thats without the possibility of the cap going up, and kimmo maybe calling it quits.

That can create an awful lot of wiggle room.

Old
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfeasance View Post

I could see next season being a problem if Timonen sticks arouns because we'd be trying to carry 5 top end contracts on our defense... But there are still options, we'd be able to defer some of the ELC bonuses again if we had to wouldn't we? And there are a few well paid less intergral players that we could move if we had too... Not that that's ideal but again, the season after that things look a fair bit brighter...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
So you guys think in general, that an unproven huge potential player worth more than a proven impact player?

Why most of you talk about Richards and Carter, when i ask in general?

Donīt get it

Itīs not about their drinking
itīs not about their lacking Playoff afford
itīs not about carters injury problems

Itīs a general question without names in it.

Carter and Richards are only examples!

__________________________________________________ _____________________

So we restart the thread at this point pls.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Richards was a FREAK OF NATURE in the 2010 playoffs.

Flashes of Primeau 2004 even though he wasn't leading our team in points.

God that entire Montreal series was a work of perfection for Richie.
I don't like the Flyers.

I don't agree with most of what Shafer says, usually.

He is right about Richards in that Montreal series. The impact a player has on a series is not necessarily only obvious in points totals.

As far as the current topic: The Flyers gave away key components of a Cup contending team that they didn't necessarily need to give away. Bryzgalov was the only thing missing from the last two playoff runs for the Flyers to win at least one Cup. Rather than people believe Richards and Carter were these huge locker room cancers, believe that a team rotating 3 goalies in a single playoff series is what hurt the Flyers. When your team has no confidence in their goalie, and that seemed quite obvious on the ice, then you are just going to lose.

I think that Philly received a lot of tremendous potential for the future that could help this team down the road. It also seems likely that Philly took a step backwards to do so. Your team with Carter, Richards and Bryzgaov, even without Leino, would be far more terrifying to meet in the playoffs. Right now? You are a good team that looks like it can be beat more easily than otherwise based on the trades.

Of course, that is why we play the games! Let the season begin, already!!

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote