HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2011-12 most complete Habs team in 5 years?

Old
07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Fair enough to say this. I also think he'll add some offense to the PP, if Markov can stay healthy and play the point when Gomez is out there.

But then again, it falls back into your statement of a player carrying him.

Alone, Gomez can't do it. When he has capable linemates to pass to, he'll see more stats on the sheet in his name. However, that doesn't take away all his cred. I doubt even Crosby, a guy that makes teammates appear much better than they really are, could put up as much offensive with Darche and Moen on his wing, than he could with Pacioretty and Gionta.
Yes but that's sort of a ludicrous statement. A lot of top 6 players are complementary players who produce based on good chemistry and/or line mates. To say a 55-60 point Gomez would still make us not a "real top 6" is absolutely ludicrous. The results are what is important and if we have a top 6 of all 50-60 point players, whether or not Gomez is one of them isn't relevant, it's a top 6 by default.

Plus people often forget Gomez has had 80+ point seasons and he's still only in his early 30s. He may have had a bad season but so did Plek and tons of people ate crow. Gomez sadly has proven more in his career than Plek has. It's sad how quickly people are willing to jump to the conclusion that if our 2nd line center gets 50-60pts we'll still not be a real top 6... even though 50-60 points is fine for a 2nd line center. Whether he's "carried" or not isn't relevant. I didn't see him getting "carried" this year, so if he manages to get carried this year and gets 50-60pts then he's a 2nd line center and we have a real top 6. There's no two ways about it, it's about the results not about your bias against Gomez. Need I remind you 55-60pts isn't true 1st line C numbers either and you're not saying it's because of Plekanec that we don't have a true top 6.

This is a team that performs by a committee of offense and two-way play. Solid defensive play and goaltending, it's a system team. Saying it isn't a true top 6 even with the top 6 performing to standard is pretty silly, especially to blame the 2nd line center if he's performing up to 2nd line center standard. Whether or not Pacioretty/Gionta carry him isn't really relevant. If it's so easy they'd hire you off the street to do it.

This isn't raiding in world of warcraft guys, it's the highest level of a professional sport

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
I think Diaz is our 8th defenceman and after that, it's Nash.
Agree. If he is as good as some scouts reported, I'd like to see him with the Habs before Christmas. Especially if Weber fails to deliver.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yes but that's sort of a ludicrous statement. A lot of top 6 players are complementary players who produce based on good chemistry and/or line mates. To say a 55-60 point Gomez would still make us not a "real top 6" is absolutely ludicrous. The results are what is important and if we have a top 6 of all 50-60 point players, whether or not Gomez is one of them isn't relevant, it's a top 6 by default.

It's sad how quickly people are willing to jump to the conclusion that if our 2nd line center gets 50-60pts we'll still not be a real top 6... even though 50-60 points is fine for a 2nd line center. Whether he's "carried" or not isn't relevant. I didn't see him getting "carried" this year, so if he manages to get carried this year and gets 50-60pts then he's a 2nd line center and we have a real top 6.
Even though your on my side of the arguement, I still think your over valueing top 6 players.

Both Boston and Vancouver only had 4 forwards with more than 50 points. They both had 2 of their top 6 players with less than 50 points. Washington only had 3 forwards with more than 50 points. Even last years offensive juggarnaut Philly only had 5 top 6 forwards with more than 50 points. Detroit only had 3, the only team in the entire league that I found with 6 are the San Jose Sharks and they traded away 2 of those forwards this year for defensive depth.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You have a point there. But even at 38 points, Gomez was in the top 60 centres (just barely lol)

He was 60th. If he rebounds to 50-55 points, he will be in the range for top 5 second line centres. If he only gets up to 45 points, that is still a middle of the road 2nd line centre.

You have to keep in mind, 2nd line centres are guys like Koivu with 45 points, Tim Connolly with 42 points, David Legwand with 41 points, Eric Belanger, Nik Antropov.

2nd liners are often over rated and people don't realize how inconsistent 2nd liners actually are in the NHL.
They dont understand the concept of average, and the fact that there is 30 teams in the league. Thats a lot of players...

Gomez is overpaid, but he is still a top-6 player, scoring-wise. And i'm not drunk.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
patsbury

Quote:
That 2008 team was fractured. Saku was a warrior and if Gomez had half of his heart, we'd be amazing. But the reality is Saku and Kovalev didn't really get along, its not that they fought, they just kind of both did their own thing and let the other guy be.

Yea Gomez sucks but he's a great leader off the ice and for the first time since Roy left, I feel like we've got a team that buys into the team concept and support each other and buy into the system. Yea they did last year as well. Gomez and Gill were integral to setting up the dynamics of this team, Price bought into it 2 years ago when he was riding the pine and it worked good for him. Dashernais same thing, Gomez was there to help him make the transition.

I don't expect us to finish 1st, that year was the stars aligning in the regular season. Martin > Carbo but more importantly, I like the team chemistry and comraderie that this team has. PK and Price are best friends but you've seen PK and Cammy working out in the off season. Even Markov was working out with I forget who a few weeks ago, two guys that I didn't think were the same personality type, but they were in their together.
I like reading your post

That 2008 was the most complete team we had in the last 5 years. Yes, the stars were aligned but every players were playing at their max capacity. IF this year our players play at where they can play (Cam 30+ goals, Gionta 25+ goals, Gomez 50+ points, PK with 40-50 points and Markov being the general, etc.), this could become our most complete team since "I do not know when"...

Maybe it depends on the backend, Price and our D corp. I believe we have an interesting top-9 forward, kinda deep with AKost and Eller on the 3rd line. Praise the lord for a "no or almost no" injury season, we're due .

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Flambergius

Like many others I feel pretty comfortable with our forwards right now. Defence has definite potential but also many unknowns: we may well need to add a 20+ minute guy at some point. However, barring any major injuries, the team should be good enough to start the season.

Having $5M in cap space (plus accumulated payroll room) to bring in a player or two later in the season would not be a bad thing. We don't yet know which of our defensive unknowns is going to work out well and which aren't. And in the unlikely case that they all work out well, we'd have the ability to add a significant forward piece at trade deadline.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Tusk

Someone should trick Cammalleri into thinking the playoffs start in October and then the 2011-12 Habs will really be complete.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
You don't think Markov can eat those minutes?
No I don't, because wiz ate Markov's minutes and he is gone too.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
la25ecoupe

How do we know for sure it's DD-Eller-AK and not Patches-Eller-DD?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
No I don't, because wiz ate Markov's minutes and he is gone too.
Wisniewski was not playing the best lines of the opposition as much as Hamrlik, not really close about that as far as i remember it.

Hamrlik take Markov's spot, then, Wisniewski takes Hamrlik's spot.
The loss of Gorges being not felt that much (except on the PK) because of the progress of Subban.

Anyway, Weber must play, i really hope that he would have the time to show what he is capable of doing.

Old
07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Wisniewski was not playing the best lines of the opposition as much as Hamrlik, not really close about that as far as i remember it.

Hamrlik take Markov's spot, then, Wisniewski takes Hamrlik's spot.
The loss of Gorges being not felt that much (except on the PK) because of the progress of Subban.

Anyway, Weber must play, i really hope that he would have the time to show what he is capable of doing.
Still, someone was eating those minutes. I believe Hammer will be missed tremendously. Other than wiz's booming shot hammer is better than him in every aspect.

Obviously Markov is better than wiz too, but wiz still came in and ate valuable minutes. Now we've lost 2 of our top 4 and only have Markov back.

If something does happen to Markov we're not nearly as capable of dealing with it and an insurance policy is nice, but not the only reason I wanted hammer back, he ate quality minutes against quality opposition and is now gone without being replaced. To me Gorges in the top4 isn't an ideal situation at all. Gorges and gill both in the top 4 has the potential to be disastrous, the only saving grace is our top 2 are pretty damn good.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Do most people expect Subban to be on the first pairing with Markov on ES and the PP?

Overall I agree with you Macavoy. With one caveat that I think is solved. A lot of people would have written the post you just wrote in August 2008. The 1st place EC team and 2nd round playoff team had just added Robert Lang (size down the middle), Alex Tanguay (1st line winger to complement Koivu) and George Laraque (an enforcer, finally). SK74, Higgins, O'Byrne, Latendresse, Price, Plekanec, AK46, etc were young and only going to get better.

I've thought about it, and while it worries me, I don't think the analogy applies. The other big difference is Jacques Martin. He's a better coach than Carbonneau was. He's experienced. He'll give the most ice time to the top-6 and not to the bottom-6. He won't put Gorges on the 1st line, and he won't have the 4th line and 3rd pairing D out against the other team's top players.
And the leadership core is a lot different too.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this season immensely, more so than the past few years. I don't think we are a top 3 contender but I think we have what it takes to be making a lot of noise.

I feel like we finally have a legit top 6. We've had holes in our top 6 for a long time. We've even got AK who is on the outside looking in right now but is a legit top 6 imo. So when someone inevitably gets injured, we'll still have 6 top 6 forwards.

Hopefully Eller can step up his game this year. We need to decide shortly if he can be a 2nd line centre. I think one of our biggest problems is a lack of a 3rd line shut down centre. We are using that spot right now to let Eller develop and its adding strain on Pleks. I really hate paying $5m to have a guy used in a shut down role. Vancouver did it right when they got Maholtra for the 3rd line so Kessler could play an offensive role. Then when injuries occurred, they still had Kessler in the mix. We need to do the same.

I think we've got a good enough defence to make noise this year. We are a lot younger which is good. Ideally, I'd like a little more depth in case of injuries but I'm liking this core better than what we started last year with. Going into last year, while we were all super high on PK, there were doubts if he could ride the wave all year long and he's proven he can. So Markov + PK is a solid top 2 dman. Then having Gill and Gorges as your shut down guys with Markov and PK who also have excellent shut down capabilities. Then we've got Yemelin who can add some toughness and grit on the back end. Hopefully Weber continues to progress in his development.

And last but not least, we just seen a career year from Carey Price. I expect him to be in the same ballpark as last year but I don't think he'll have to steal as many games for us, so I don't have a problem if his stats dip ever so slightly. I'm just hoping that PG and staff are right about gambling on a backup again this year and going off the board with Peter Budaj. Maybe without the pressure of being a #1 and being a pure backup, he'll shine.

All in all, I like what this team can do come playoff time. We've seen Cammy turn into a beast in the playoffs. I'm really hoping my hope for next season doesn't end prematurely like it did this past January when Gorges went down.

I'm hoping for huge years from MaxPac and Yemelin but in the end all that matters is how they do as a team.
I do not think we are more complete than in 2010 playoffs. We lost important defensive pieces in Hamrlik, Moore, Pyatt and Lapierre and added Cole and Eller, so we are more unbalanced towards offence, plus we downgraded big time from Halak to Budaj.

But the team has pandered to the masses who want more scoring and size, so some are happy.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Even though your on my side of the arguement, I still think your over valueing top 6 players.

Both Boston and Vancouver only had 4 forwards with more than 50 points. They both had 2 of their top 6 players with less than 50 points. Washington only had 3 forwards with more than 50 points. Even last years offensive juggarnaut Philly only had 5 top 6 forwards with more than 50 points. Detroit only had 3, the only team in the entire league that I found with 6 are the San Jose Sharks and they traded away 2 of those forwards this year for defensive depth.
He's right though about the yeild being much higher.

We have about 9 guys who are easily capable of reaching 40+ points (Gomez, Plex, Cam, Gio, AK, Pac, Cole, Markov, Subban), out of those, at least between 4 (Cam, Plex, Gio and Markov) to 6 could reach 50+ if not more, and all that is excluding that DD and Eller could also be closer to 0,50 PPG.

It's our top 9 that is a lot better than it used to be.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:49 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I do not think we are more complete than in 2010 playoffs. We lost important defensive pieces in Hamrlik, Moore, Pyatt and Lapierre and added Cole and Eller, so we are more unbalanced towards offence, plus we downgraded big time from Halak to Budaj.

But the team has pandered to the masses who want more scoring and size, so some are happy.
It was the lack of scoring and size that allowed Philly to massacre us in the 2010 playoffs.

As for Pyatt, Lapierre, and Moore; we have White, Pacioretty, Darche, Engvist et al. as well as the possibility to pick up those kinds of depth players for 5th rounders at the deadline.

Do you not remember the sacrifice it took to pick up Glen Metropolit?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:52 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
i think the only thing that the team would be missing is defense
the top 6 has been looking good now and top 9 is much better

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Still, someone was eating those minutes. I believe Hammer will be missed tremendously. Other than wiz's booming shot hammer is better than him in every aspect.

Obviously Markov is better than wiz too, but wiz still came in and ate valuable minutes. Now we've lost 2 of our top 4 and only have Markov back.

If something does happen to Markov we're not nearly as capable of dealing with it and an insurance policy is nice, but not the only reason I wanted hammer back, he ate quality minutes against quality opposition and is now gone without being replaced. To me Gorges in the top4 isn't an ideal situation at all. Gorges and gill both in the top 4 has the potential to be disastrous, the only saving grace is our top 2 are pretty damn good.
I obviously agree. Gorges is good enough to play on a top-4. He's playing against very good players on a very consistent basis, and he's not spectacular, maybe, but he gets the job done. With Gill, i dont think its a good idea, but with Subban or Markov, no problem.

If Weber need some time, the same could be said for Emelin. He's finally playing in Montreal, and he is supposed to be able to play like a 2nd pairing defenseman. I think that this year is going to be an experiment for the D...anyway, at some point, you need to trust your young players, the vets cant keep up for ever...

Old
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
It was the lack of scoring and size that allowed Philly to massacre us in the 2010 playoffs.

As for Pyatt, Lapierre, and Moore; we have White, Pacioretty, Darche, Engvist et al. as well as the possibility to pick up those kinds of depth players for 5th rounders at the deadline.

Do you not remember the sacrifice it took to pick up Glen Metropolit?
Glen Metropolit had nowhere near the impact on the 2010 playoffs that Moore, Lapierre and Pyatt had.

Moore is a real solid NHLer and was not adequately replaced last year, and an equivalent player will not be picked up for a 5th rounder this year.

And what about Hamrlik? You missed that one in your reply!

Engqvist, LOL. I doubt he will still be in North America in another 2 years.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Uh....... you really think that?

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Uh...... you really think that?
Right now, yes. Weber over Hamrlik, Blunden over Pyatt, Engqvist over Halpern, some bizarre decisions so far, unless PG plans to spend most of the his final $5M getting real upgrade players.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Glen Metropolit had nowhere near the impact on the 2010 playoffs that Moore, Lapierre and Pyatt had.

Moore is a real solid NHLer and was not adequately replaced last year, and an equivalent player will not be picked up for a 5th rounder this year.

And what about Hamrlik? You missed that one in your reply!
I didn't "miss" Hamrlik, as the response is obvious and I don't think it needs to be said, but I'll say it anyway since you requested it. He is replaced if Markov is healthy, and if not, we are in trouble and in need of a trade.

Moore will be replaced by Eller if he shows enough forward progression.

Lapierre and Pyatt are easy deadline pickups if they are necessary.

Meanwhile, the 2010 team didn't have Cole, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Emelin, and Diaz.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:35 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Right now, yes. Weber over Hamrlik, Blunden over Pyatt, Engqvist over Halpern, some bizarre decisions so far, unless PG plans to spend most of the his final $5M getting real upgrade players.

In what projected lineup is Weber expected to replace Hamrlik?

As for Engvist, he is 6'4", he is 23, and he did well in his AHL rookie season.

Old
DJ Breadman

I don't see how this is a complete team, our first or 2nd line center had 36 points and was -15 last year, also there is a huge hole in the tough guy department, who is gonna protect emilen and subban? The last 2 cup teams had fighters. So no this is not a complete team

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Darche was already here, so no change there, and Pacioretty replaced Pouliot in the lineup with Gomez and Gionta, he did not replace our ultra-solid third line that could shut down top scorers, not just play out the string against other bottom liners.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
In what projected lineup is Weber expected to replace Hamrlik?

As for Engvist, he is 6'4", he is 23, and he did well in his AHL rookie season.
Weber is in EVERY projected lineup for the Habs in 2011-12, signing a one-way contract.

Hamrlik is not in a single projected Habs lineup.

As for Engqvist, thanks for making my point, people value him for "size", which is actually "height" since he weighs no more than Crosby or Gomez. Of course he skates at half their speed, or Moore's for that matter.

The question is whether we have a more complete team than before. I compare our current roster (admittedly with cap room left) to the roster that won two rounds in the 2010 playoffs and I do not think we are more complete.

We already had Subban, we already had Markov (at least against Washington), we already had Darche, Eller is only a FUTURE HOPE to replace a solid NHL vet like Moore, and Weber can't hold Hamrlik's jockstrap.

Engqvist is so good and so promising that last year when we had injuries, Pyatt was moved to 4th line center and Engqvist was returned to the Bulldogs after 2 useless games "motoring" ....ok, sputtering....around doing nothing useful.

No, I did not forget Engqvist is tall, so no need to tell me again.