HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will not buyout Wojtek Wolski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
  #26
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,214
vCash: 500
Fine with keeping Wolski. He has some skill and i like the fact that hes shown some dedication by trainig with B. Underhill. His skating needed some help for sure, and who knows, if he has an extra step with that skill - it could be a good recipe.

But im not banking on that by any means. It has more to do with mental part - the heart and motivation with Wolski then the physical attributes. Hes got to stay consistent and everyone including him knows this.

Regardless of what he will provide the team this season its always good to have guys like Christensen and Wolski for a few reasons. Its great to have the depth with the skill there, and both of them can get this team 4 or 5 extra points in the standings with their shootout dominance. of course, Wolski's cap hit comes into play a lot more and that alone may hinder the Rangers from doing some things with other players coming up (as well as taking a spot on the roster) - but i think you gotta give him a shot in camp to prove his worth and take it from there. Its good to have players like Wolski battling for spots, regardless of the hit - because it pushes the competition level.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:42 AM
  #27
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 50
Yeah... I doubt any one actually believed this was going to happen. He is too good of an option for our top six. The talent is all there with both Wolski, and who he will be surrounded with and to buy him out and fill his spot via trade could prove costly.

Hopefully his production this year matches his overall skill level, if so, both he and the Rangers will be an absolute force to be reckoned with. He has the potential to be a 30/40 guy. Combine that with Richards at center, and Gaborik on the RW, and Dubi-AA-Cally on our second line we will have a very very formidable top 6.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:52 AM
  #28
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,059
vCash: 500
This post isn't directed at anyone in particular, but rather at the plethora of "and he'll help in the shootout" comments about our (potential) extra forwards. I've seen it in the MZA and Christensen threads and now here again regarding Wolski.

For Wolski, it does make sense to me. If he's on the team, he's going to be given every opportunity to play top 6 minutes - and will consequently be there to make a difference in the SO. But when it comes to MZA or EC (or even to Wolski if you think he's going to wind up as an extra forward on most games) what the heck difference does it make if they're shootout specialists - if they're going to be sitting in suits and ties?!?! It's not like Torts can dress his best 20 for a game, but then when OT ends, point to the press box and say "uh, yeah, those guys up there are my 1 & 2 shooters."

To me, shootout proficiency should have no bearing on whether or not the team keeps a player as the 13th or 14th forward (or, rather, it should be way down the checklist). Much more important is whether a guy can sit out for 4 or 5 games and then slot in seamlessly and whether or not he has the flexibility to play multiple roles on multiple lines. Those factors matter in determining who makes a good extra forward.

Ability in the shootout is a much more meaningful factor in picking between two otherwise equal candidates for the last spot on the third line; not for choosing a good 13th or 14th forward.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:54 AM
  #29
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,060
vCash: 500
What it boils down to is that there is not a better option than Wolski, for the 3 mil saved, in free agency.

I highly doubt he is qualified next offseason, but there is no purprose in giving away something for nothing if we cant use the space, AND lose cap space the year after.

Wolski, along with Christensen, Zuccarello, and maybe even Avery should get shots at the LW spot on the top line.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:26 AM
  #30
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
I know this is a long shot but I'm still 100% down to give Cory Stillman a camp invite if he's unsigned a month from now.

He's old but would be a great team guy who can play lesser minutes and PP, and spot start in the top 6 in case Mr. Wolski or anyone else slumps.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  #31
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
I actually thought he was one of the best players of the Washington series. He stood out as one of the more noticeable guys in a good way IIRC. Cant just give up on such a talented RFA and let him go for nothing. Hopefully he has a good year and can be retained as a legit top 6 forward or moved for assets.
He was the highest Ranger scorer in the series. He was far, far from being one of the best players. wasn't he benched in one game?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
  #32
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now
 
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,169
vCash: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
He was the highest Ranger scorer in the series. He was far, far from being one of the best players. wasn't he benched in one game?
He played in every game, but his TOI stats were kind of all over the place:

15, 10, 8, 10, 18

Don't remember if that means he was benched for stretches or if his line got less time.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
  #33
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
I actually thought he was one of the best players of the Washington series. He stood out as one of the more noticeable guys in a good way IIRC. Cant just give up on such a talented RFA and let him go for nothing. Hopefully he has a good year and can be retained as a legit top 6 forward or moved for assets.
Yeah when he was given the time!

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
  #34
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
I have not had time to read this thread thru, but I'll make the assumption that Tort's had a lot of input on this decision.

If Tort's thinks he can turn Wolski around, then it's worth a try IMO.

By no means am I a fan of Wolski. I pretty much think his game is useless. He's Enver Lisin 2.0. He is a lot of wasted, unfocused talent. I think the chances of him changing my perception and expectations are slim....at best.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:45 PM
  #35
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
No reason to give up on W2 yet, if he plays top line LW he can easily put up 30 goals this season

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:04 PM
  #36
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
He played in every game, but his TOI stats were kind of all over the place:

15, 10, 8, 10, 18

Don't remember if that means he was benched for stretches or if his line got less time.
I feel like it was more just Torts using his line less. He was on a line for a couple of games with just extra parts. I did however watch the game where he got a chance to play with Prospal and I think, Dubinsky?, consistenly and put together a very good game.

Or, at least, I thought it wasn't a bad game, but I was tired while I was watching the game.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:04 PM
  #37
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
People are way, way too critical of Wolski on these boards.

Don't rely on "there's a reason he's been on three teams in three years" as your only argument.

He's been a Ranger for 37 games with a very inconsistent and young forward core. He needs a little longer than that before you give up on him.

Wolski is 25 years old. Younger than Cally. Older than Dubinsky by 2 months, older by Zuccarello by only a year and a half. Here's how his career has looked:

05-06: 9 games, 6 points
06-07: 76 games, 50 points
07-08: 77 games, 48 points
08-09: 78 games, 42 points
09-10: 80 games, 65 points
10-11: 73 games, 35 points

And now a chance to play on a line with Richards and Gaborik yet because he had ONE bad season, splitting time between two very inconsistent offensive teams, one year removed from putting up 65 points, he's garbage? He obviously still has the potential to be a 60+ point player, especially playing with Richards. If you took away the stat line for 10-11, and didn't know who you were looking at, you'd be saying "this is a good player". He had a bad year. Let's see if bounces back, or has another disappointing season before writing the book on him, eh?

Moreover:

Wolski 2/24/86 Drafted 2004 #21 Career: 393 games, 91 goals, 246 points
Dubinsky 4/29/86 Drafted 2004 #60 Career: 316 games, 71 goals, 179 points

Drafted 39 spots apart, in 77 more games Wolski has 20 more goals and 67 more points. He has had a 65 point season. Yes, he's more inconsistent. Yes, Dubinksy has improved every year while Wolski is up and down. Yes, Dubinsky brings A LOT more to the table than Wolski. But they're the same age and Wolski had one bad season. He makes less than we're going to pay Dubinsky this year; if he bounces back and puts up the 65 he put up one year ago, he'll be well worth it and he still easily has the skill and potential to do so. If every player in the NHL's career was over the first time they had a bad season, we'd miss out on some very good players. I'm not comparing Wolski to Dubi... I will never like Wolski as much as I like Dubi and he will never be the overall player Dubinsky is, but he can be an equal offensive threat, especially playing with Richards, especially in a contract year. How about we give him another half season before determining he's a bum?

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:11 PM
  #38
Leetch3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
like others said, with lack of depth and other options makes no sense to buy him out now...if he craps the bed in camp and doesn't win a spot we can still waive him and get his cap hit off the books. that doesn't save dolan any $$ but i don't really care about that.

i think wolski is one of the biggest keys to the season as he is only LW besides dubinsky capable of being a legit top 6 guy. if wolski can step up and handle playing with richards and gaborik...or with anisimov & cally so dubi can play on the top line then i think we'll be in great shape. WW seems to be the wild card in all line combos

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:14 PM
  #39
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
People are way, way too critical of Wolski on these boards.

Don't rely on "there's a reason he's been on three teams in three years" as your only argument.

He's been a Ranger for 37 games with a very inconsistent and young forward core. He needs a little longer than that before you give up on him.

Wolski is 25 years old. Younger than Cally. Older than Dubinsky by 2 months, older by Zuccarello by only a year and a half. Here's how his career has looked:

05-06: 9 games, 6 points
06-07: 76 games, 50 points
07-08: 77 games, 48 points
08-09: 78 games, 42 points
09-10: 80 games, 65 points
10-11: 73 games, 35 points

And now a chance to play on a line with Richards and Gaborik yet because he had ONE bad season, splitting time between two very inconsistent offensive teams, one year removed from putting up 65 points, he's garbage? He obviously still has the potential to be a 60+ point player, especially playing with Richards. If you took away the stat line for 10-11, and didn't know who you were looking at, you'd be saying "this is a good player". He had a bad year. Let's see if bounces back, or has another disappointing season before writing the book on him, eh?

Moreover:

Wolski 2/24/86 Drafted 2004 #21 Career: 393 games, 91 goals, 246 points
Dubinsky 4/29/86 Drafted 2004 #60 Career: 316 games, 71 goals, 179 points

Drafted 39 spots apart, in 77 more games Wolski has 20 more goals and 67 more points. He has had a 65 point season. Yes, he's more inconsistent. Yes, Dubinksy has improved every year while Wolski is up and down. Yes, Dubinsky brings A LOT more to the table than Wolski. But they're the same age and Wolski had one bad season. He makes less than we're going to pay Dubinsky this year; if he bounces back and puts up the 65 he put up one year ago, he'll be well worth it and he still easily has the skill and potential to do so. If every player in the NHL's career was over the first time they had a bad season, we'd miss out on some very good players. I'm not comparing Wolski to Dubi... I will never like Wolski as much as I like Dubi and he will never be the overall player Dubinsky is, but he can be an equal offensive threat, especially playing with Richards, especially in a contract year. How about we give him another half season before determining he's a bum?
Great post. Very well said. Wolski receives way too much flack on this board. The ONLY reason I don't want him as a regular on the top line is because those 3 on the top line (WW, BR, MG) would be SO weak physically. You need a bigger, physical guy such as Dubinsky or Boyle that can be the power forward on that line.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:18 PM
  #40
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Wolski is listed at 6'3 210. Someone just needs to light a fire under his ass and get him to use that size a bit better and he could be great on that line. They also don't necessarily need that power forward. It sounds good logically on paper, as they say, but you never know which combos are going to end up working the best. It could be Zuccarello. It could be Dubinsky. It could be Avery, Fedetenko or Wolski.

Point I was trying to make though is simply that Wolski is just another one of the Rangers fans' whipping boys. If Dubinsky plays with Richards/Gabby than Wolski can play with AA/Stepan and Cally and not face the other teams toughest defenders. Either way, he has the skill to bounce back and have a good year, especially in a contract year. He'll get some PP time with Richards and he has the potential to give us 50-65 points this year if he comes to play.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:30 PM
  #41
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,580
vCash: 50
Wolski/Zuccarello are a near guarantee to fail on a line with Richards and Gaborik.

Richards' game revolves around puck control and cycling. Clearly, neither of Gaborik or Richards' strong points involve puck control and strength on the puck. You need a player like Fedotenko/Avery/Dubinsky on that line to do the dirty work, or the combination of Gaborik and Richards will ultimately fail, as Zuccarello/Wolski won't be able to draw 2 defenders at once with their board skills. Dubinsky/Fedotenko/Avery can do that, giving Richards the space to set up Gaborik between the net and circles.

Wolski has size, yes, but he's soft. He plays an uninspiring, perimeter game. He's not a fit on a line with two already "soft" players.


Last edited by Alvvays: 07-24-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
  #42
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Wolski is listed at 6'3 210. Someone just needs to light a fire under his ass and get him to use that size a bit better and he could be great on that line. They also don't necessarily need that power forward. It sounds good logically on paper, as they say, but you never know which combos are going to end up working the best. It could be Zuccarello. It could be Dubinsky. It could be Avery, Fedetenko or Wolski.

Point I was trying to make though is simply that Wolski is just another one of the Rangers fans' whipping boys. If Dubinsky plays with Richards/Gabby than Wolski can play with AA/Stepan and Cally and not face the other teams toughest defenders. Either way, he has the skill to bounce back and have a good year, especially in a contract year. He'll get some PP time with Richards and he has the potential to give us 50-65 points this year if he comes to play.
But at the same time, physicality isn't something you can just teach. Look at Dubinsky, he's had the grit and physicality his entire career. Teaching that to Wolski is a long shot. Not saying he shouldn't get time on that line, but I don't want him to be "the regular" on it.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  #43
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,878
vCash: 500
If Wolski (or Zuccarello, for that matter) gets 65 points again next season, the Rangers will likely be contenders, assuming of course Brad and Gabby have good seasons. 65 points would have placed him at #34 in scoring last year among all forwards, and #8 among left wingers. That's solid first line numbers. Even with the rest of his game lacking, to get 65 points would make him a very good top-6 forward.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
  #44
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
But at the same time, physicality isn't something you can just teach. Look at Dubinsky, he's had the grit and physicality his entire career. Teaching that to Wolski is a long shot. Not saying he shouldn't get time on that line, but I don't want him to be "the regular" on it.

We shouldn't teach a dog to be a cat. Let him play the style that he plays, just do it better. I don't want Wolski to try to be more physical. I want him to put up 65 points per season again.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:38 PM
  #45
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
We shouldn't teach a dog to be a cat. Let him play the style that he plays, just do it better. I don't want Wolski to try to be more physical. I want him to put up 65 points per season again.
I know, that's my argument as well. You can't just teach it, nor should you.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:39 PM
  #46
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,580
vCash: 50
I think putting Wolski on a line with Anisimov/Callahan would help his game immensely..

With two excellent defensive linemates, and two players who can work the boards, it allows Wolski to play a perimeter game, but at the same time, possibly benefit from doing so by getting lost in the defensive coverage, and being open for an offensive opportunity at any given moment. It accentuates his positives, and masks his negatives.

Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:45 PM
  #47
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,247
vCash: 500
Wolski reminds me a little bit of a young Peter Mahovilich. He's big and looks like he could be doing more than he does. Sometimes it looks like he is going at half speed.
I'm not ready to give up on him (eternal optomist, you know) but I am wary.

When he got to Phoenix in 2010, he was an opportunistic scorer who played pretty well. He was good in the playoffs. The team had a lot of structure and he was allowed to freelance to some degree because the team badly needed offense.

Last year was a disaster. He was moved to center to replace Lombardi and that simply did not work. Don't ever suggest noving him back into the middle. He has good passing instincts but he looked lost defensively and the Coyoters did not have the wingers to compliment him. From there it went downhill on and off the ice. The Coyotes play a tightly structured system to cover their offensive deficiencies and Wolski just didn't work very hard at both ends of the rink. That's a death sentence in the Tippett's eyes. The Coyotes couldn't get him out of town fast enough.

There's a nice combination of last chance with a good team, contract year and kickass coach at work here. I can't imagine how a player like Wolski could be any more motivated than he will be this year. Either he produces and gets a new contract next summer or becomes another one of those journeyman players who signs for a year at a time with a different team.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
  #48
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,463
vCash: 500
I have a feeling Brad Richards is exactly the type of player Wolski can thrive off of. While some players can make space with his body, I think Wolski is able to make space (albeit a different type of space) with his stick handling. He biggest enemy will be his consistency but if Richards and Gaborik can keep up their pace, or if the other 3 lines really gel, Torts may feel disinclined to separate that trio. Given the type of player Wolski is, it's probably the best position for him to have in our lineup. The man needs ice time to do well. Unfortunately with him, inconsistent ice time gets you inconsistent performance.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
  #49
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,376
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think putting Wolski on a line with Anisimov/Callahan would help his game immensely..

With two excellent defensive linemates, and two players who can work the boards, it allows Wolski to play a perimeter game, but at the same time, possibly benefit from doing so by getting lost in the defensive coverage, and being open for an offensive opportunity at any given moment. It accentuates his positives, and masks his negatives.
I might be biased because I have always been a Wolski fan, and picking him up two years ago in fantasy payed absolute dividends for me and allowed me to win one of my leagues... but I think he really will do well this year. Maybe not 65, but I think we will see at least 55.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
  #50
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,580
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I might be biased because I have always been a Wolski fan, and picking him up two years ago in fantasy payed absolute dividends for me and allowed me to win one of my leagues... but I think he really will do well this year. Maybe not 65, but I think we will see at least 55.
I think he'll have a solid season, too. It's a contract year, he knows he's hanging by a thread, and by working with Underhill, it shows SOME determination on his part.


Last edited by Alvvays: 07-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.