HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle article

Old
07-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I didn't say Coburn did it often last year. I didn't specify a time frame because I meant over his career as a Flyer and yes he improved last year in that regard as well as several others. As far as Matt Carle I said exactly what you said "he is a #3 on most teams" so I assume you were referring to other posters on this thread.
If he didn't do it last year, then what is the relevance of the complaint? Not to mention Coburn barely gets PP time anyway.

The Matt Carle comment was just a general observation, not directed at anyone in particular.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I remember when I was one of very few Coburn-defenders on this board. He was even thrown on the bottom pairing for a period of time, and people were saying he would never recover.

Everyone and their mother wanted him traded.

Then he slowly began to pull out, and the 2010 playoffs were his reawakening. This past season he only got better.

I'm extremely glad we kept him through his downturn and slumps.
I've always liked him. He's freakishly athletic for his size, and also uses that size. He has a bomb from the point which he doesn't use at the right times (like firing into the ankles of his defender). Once he puts everything together and gets a more well-rounded game, he can be a #2 easily, maybe a #1 I believe, he has the tools.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:09 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If he didn't do it last year, then what is the relevance of the complaint? Not to mention Coburn barely gets PP time anyway.

The Matt Carle comment was just a general observation, not directed at anyone in particular.
Just because a player didn't do something the year before but have done it in the past doesn't mean they won't do it again in the future. I'm sure you know what I mean. And I wasn't really complaining as much as I was expressing who much it bothered me. It never really caused any problems like turnovers or subsequent scoring chances so I can't really complain. If it came off as a complaint or I literally used the word complain or any variant thereof then I'm sorry for any confusion it may have cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I've always liked him. He's freakishly athletic for his size, and also uses that size. He has a bomb from the point which he doesn't use at the right times (like firing into the ankles of his defender). Once he puts everything together and gets a more well-rounded game, he can be a #2 easily, maybe a #1 I believe, he has the tools.
apparently others have noticed as well

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Just because a player didn't do something the year before but have done it in the past doesn't mean they won't do it again in the future. I'm sure you know what I mean. And I wasn't really complaining as much as I was expressing who much it bothered me. It never really caused any problems like turnovers or subsequent scoring chances so I can't really complain. If it came off as a complaint or I literally used the word complain or any variant thereof then I'm sorry for any confusion it may have cause.

apparently others have noticed as well
If it hasn't been an issue in over a season I really don't see the point of bringing it up, but hey, you're certainly allowed to be bothered by whatever you like and talk about it. My point was just that I don't see it happening much at all. I don't see him getting his shot through on net as much as I'd like, but I don't see him hitting people in the shin pads right in front of him either.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If it hasn't been an issue in over a season I really don't see the point of bringing it up, but hey, you're certainly allowed to be bothered by whatever you like and talk about it. My point was just that I don't see it happening much at all. I don't see him getting his shot through on net as much as I'd like, but I don't see him hitting people in the shin pads right in front of him either.
I would like to see him get more PP time next season. The majority of Carles pts last year came at even strength so I think coburn should take some of carles shifts every once in a while. Every year it seems like his goal totals have gone down but w/ more PP time I could see him flirting w/ 10G

Old
07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I would like to see him get more PP time next season. The majority of Carles pts last year came at even strength so I think coburn should take some of carles shifts every once in a while. Every year it seems like his goal totals have gone down but w/ more PP time I could see him flirting w/ 10G
If Coburn gets more time on the power play next year, that probably won't be a good thing for anybody but Coburn. He's just not a creator. Kimmo, Pronger, Carle, Mezsaros.....those are my PP Dmen.

Old
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

U guys think Gus makes the team this year and if so would he see any PP time? Personally I would like to see him in the starting lineup but from what I understand he still has some work to do.

Old
07-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Kimmo and Mez will front one PP

Pronger and Carle will front the other.

If Pronger is injured, I see Coburn being put on the PP. I can't ever see them putting two puck movers on the back end.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Guys like Coburn who tend to be stupid but with really good physical skills tend to look better at PKing than they do at 5on5 IMO. It's all busting your ass and making plays, it's simpler and not as cerebral as full strength IMO.

I'm trying to think of a defenseman who was just ok at full strength but who was a stud penalty killer. Mark Eaton is coming to mind and it's completely undermining my point. Damn it.
Mike Weaver. Kind of ****s up the argument as well I guess.

Lilja has been a lot better on the pk than he's been 5v5 for pretty much his entire career.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote