HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Display driver crashing computer; please help

Old
07-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Display driver crashing computer; please help

For the last couple of months I've been having crashes due to the display driver, which is NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT. It has been completely freezing this computer so I have to turn it off manually and turn it back on.
The driver always says it is up to date, and I've even tried un-installing and re-installing a few times. Nothing worked.
Last weekend I go so frustrated with it I un-installed Windows and installed it again.
I thought that would fix the issue for sure right?? Well today it started crashing again.
It just says now "display driver has stopped working properly but has recovered."

Why did the re-install of Vista not work?? I'm not a computer expert but I assumed everything would go back to the way I bought it.
What can I do short of buying a new computer?

If you have a solution, please let me know.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:22 PM
guinness
those were the days

What's the specs of the power supply?

Did anything change between the time the card was working and then not?

Is the computer running hot? Not sure if the 8500 has a cooling fan, but that may be on the fritz.

Almost all video card problems I've ever had, have been driver related, one time I had a GPU fan, and I replaced the fan, it was easy enough to do at the time.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post

Why did the re-install of Vista not work?? I'm not a computer expert but I assumed everything would go back to the way I bought it.
What can I do short of buying a new computer?

If you have a solution, please let me know.
If you run a car for 4 years without maintenance, do you expect a car wash to return it to new condition? The card you are using, and therefore the hardware that goes with it, is very old and wasn't even great when it was around. I am not insulting your computer, but realize that all hardware fails eventually, and hardware that was made for entry level computers like the 8500 fails even faster.

You probably have a lot of dust buildup inside the case, and the card is overheating. Drivers will crash when cards get hot even though it isn't directly related to software. The card struggles to make calculations in the heat and in turn crashes the drivers.

While cleaning out the case might temporarily solve your problem, realize that even a cheap entry level computer in the year 2011 is somewhere on the order for 5x faster than yours, minimum.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
What's the specs of the power supply?

Did anything change between the time the card was working and then not?

Is the computer running hot? Not sure if the 8500 has a cooling fan, but that may be on the fritz.

Almost all video card problems I've ever had, have been driver related, one time I had a GPU fan, and I replaced the fan, it was easy enough to do at the time.
Not sure how to find that.

NOthing changed recently.

Doesn't seem to be running hot, fans seem okay and running properly.

Old
07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If you run a car for 4 years without maintenance, do you expect a car wash to return it to new condition? The card you are using, and therefore the hardware that goes with it, is very old and wasn't even great when it was around. I am not insulting your computer, but realize that all hardware fails eventually, and hardware that was made for entry level computers like the 8500 fails even faster.

You probably have a lot of dust buildup inside the case, and the card is overheating. Drivers will crash when cards get hot even though it isn't directly related to software. The card struggles to make calculations in the heat and in turn crashes the drivers.

While cleaning out the case might temporarily solve your problem, realize that even a cheap entry level computer in the year 2011 is somewhere on the order for 5x faster than yours, minimum.
Yeah I bought this at the end of 07, so I know it's old now. Runs okay most of the time. I will try blowing some dust out, I'm sure there's a bit in there.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Forgot to mention that sometimes when Windows will try to load up, the screen will just stay black and not come up, at all.
Now it's blue-screening me.
Code is Stop(0x00000124), (0x00000000), (0x84F39708, 0xF2000020, 0x,00000800)

When it starts in safe mode it says this:

Quote:
Address a problem with NVIDIA Graphics Driver
NVIDIA Graphics Driver has stopped working properly.

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

Check for optional third-party updates

Even if all critical updates have been installed on your computer, optional updates might be available for NVIDIA Graphics Driver that have yet to be installed. Here's how to use Windows Update to check for and install optional driver updates:

Click to go online to the Windows Update website

In the left pane, click Check for updates to see if there are any optional updates available for your computer.

If optional updates are available, click the link to view and select the updates to install. (If you don't see this link, you might have to click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update).

If no optional updates are available, go to step 2.

Select the optional updates you want to install (especially if they appear to be graphics related), click OK, and then click Install updates.

Try updating NVIDIA Graphics Driver manually

If no optional NVIDIA Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, you can try updating NVIDIA Graphics Driver manually.

Note
It's best to let Windows install drivers for your hardware automatically, as described in step 1 above.

If you decide to manually update NVIDIA Graphics Driver, here's how to do it:

Click to open Device Manager If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, double-click Display adapters, and then double-click the name of the device running NVIDIA Graphics Driver.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Windows will locate and install a new driver if one is available.

Check the NVIDIA Corporation website for driver updates

If no optional NVIDIA Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, go online to the following website to check for driver updates:

Click to go online to the NVIDIA Corporation website to find out if a solution or update is available
How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

Click to open Device Manager If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

Note
If you are running the latest version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver and are still experiencing the problem, we recommend that you contact NVIDIA Corporation or the manufacturer for additional information and support.

Check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates

Old
07-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Lockout Season

I had a similar problem recently with an 8800GT. It turned out to be hardware failure. After awhile it would keep blue screening when loading the desktop. It started with the occasional crash and kept getting worse over a few days time before completely crapping out.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 08:33 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
Forgot to mention that sometimes when Windows will try to load up, the screen will just stay black and not come up, at all.
Now it's blue-screening me.
Code is Stop(0x00000124), (0x00000000), (0x84F39708, 0xF2000020, 0x,00000800)

When it starts in safe mode it says this:
Your card is so old that the current set of drivers don't support it, as far as I know. If you have any USB devices attached when you are booting then that will sometimes cause the screen to stay black. I forget to unplug my phone at times and that causes startup to pause. You are also likely using a computer that was under-equipped to run Vista in the first place, which is how Vista got its bad reputation. Worse yet, your system probably has a terrible OEM power supply so buying a replacement card isn't really an option. You most likely wouldn't feel comfortable replacing it yourself, either.

There are so many potential problems with older hardware that it could be any number of things. I'd hate to waste money trying to fix up or track down a problem with an old computer when a new one is probably not that much more.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Zodiac

i'd try this ...

- download and install Driver Sweeper ...
http://www.phyxion.net/Driver-Sweepe...Version-3-1-0/

- download newest driver for your card and operating system (but don't install it just yet) ...
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

- uninstall your video driver from add/remove programs/ programs and features (remove physX driver first, if its there, then remove the actual nvidia driver)

- should ask to reboot your pc. when rebooting, go into Windows Safe Mode.

- run Driver Sweeper in windows safe mode and clear out all the remaining Nvidia driver related stuff.

- reboot pc back in to normal windows and install the new Nvidia drivers you downloaded.

see what happens.

-----------------------

like mentioned, it could be the card dying, but i'd try the driver stuff for the hell of it. check for any serious dust build up on the card's fan. verify the fan is actually working, too.

Last edited by Zodiac: 07-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

If you really think it's the driver, uninstall it; then go to add/remove programs and remove anything nvidia related.

Restart windows and it should use the Vista default drivers. If it still crashes with that you do not have a driver problem.

For reference, what is the manufacturer and model of your system?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
If you really think it's the driver, uninstall it; then go to add/remove programs and remove anything nvidia related.

Restart windows and it should use the Vista default drivers. If it still crashes with that you do not have a driver problem.

For reference, what is the manufacturer and model of your system?
Gateway model GT5628. Intel Core Quad 2 Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
32 bit operating system.
3054 MB memory(ram)

Un-installed NVIDIA last night, running the default driver now. Says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" under Display Adapters in the Device Manager. No crashes, seems to be fine w/out NVIDIA. Not as good though obviously.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i'd try this ...

- download and install Driver Sweeper ...
http://www.phyxion.net/Driver-Sweepe...Version-3-1-0/

- download newest driver for your card and operating system (but don't install it just yet) ...
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

- uninstall your video driver from add/remove programs/ programs and features (remove physX driver first, if its there, then remove the actual nvidia driver)

- should ask to reboot your pc. when rebooting, go into Windows Safe Mode.

- run Driver Sweeper in windows safe mode and clear out all the remaining Nvidia driver related stuff.

- reboot pc back in to normal windows and install the new Nvidia drivers you downloaded.

see what happens.

-----------------------

like mentioned, it could be the card dying, but i'd try the driver stuff for the hell of it. check for any serious dust build up on the card's fan. verify the fan is actually working, too.
Ran Driver Sweeper and it's scanning now.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:
Gateway model GT5628. Intel Core Quad 2 Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
32 bit operating system.
3054 MB memory(ram)

Un-installed NVIDIA last night, running the default driver now. Says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" under Display Adapters in the Device Manager. No crashes, seems to be fine w/out NVIDIA. Not as good though obviously.
I'd test it a bit longer with the default driver, and if it seems stable that way look into using an older version of nvidia drivers.

Something like this should work for you. It's the vista / 32bit verison.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...1.22_whql.html

I used the 180 nVidia drivers all the way up till 3 months ago. I don't think you should update your drivers until you have a problem. Disable all automatic driver updates.

If that specific driver doesn't go, try a few others. The nvidia website has an archive of drivers.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Also, if you have a friend/ family member with a PCIe card you could borrow; do it. I have hard cards fail before short of total failure. I agree with XX that I would hesitate to go buy stuff to try and fix it without knowing for sure what your problem is.

EDIT: and if you have more than one PCIe slot, move your card to the other slot and try it.

Eventhough your card seems to be working with the default driver it could still be a hardware issue due to the default driver not properly using the hardware to its full capabilities.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I'd test it a bit longer with the default driver, and if it seems stable that way look into using an older version of nvidia drivers.

Something like this should work for you. It's the vista / 32bit verison.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...1.22_whql.html

I used the 180 nVidia drivers all the way up till 3 months ago. I don't think you should update your drivers until you have a problem. Disable all automatic driver updates.

If that specific driver doesn't go, try a few others. The nvidia website has an archive of drivers.
Well this is not good, used the one you linked me to, installed and rebooted, didn't last a minute without crashing. If an older version isn't working, I'm not sure what will.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

If anyone can recommend a good computer to buy, let me know. I don't do much besides use the internet and d/l music.

Old
07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Well I'm pretty sure your problem is the Video Card itself but I can't be certain. You can get a new card for as little as $30 though
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500205

And the other likely culprit, the power supply, could be had for +/- $50. Even if you replaced both it's certainly cheaper than a new system. And that Q6600 + 3GB of ram seems like a good fit for you given your needs. I'd really try to borrow a PCIe video card from somebody and see if it works. It will have to be a lower end one though as your power supply probably can't take a high end one.

Another thing to try though would be, do you have an onboard video card? If you do remove the 8500 from the system physically and plug in to it and see if you crash at all. According to the gateway website you should have an onboard you can try.
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...06194Rnv.shtml