HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question for Rangers season ticket holders...

Old
07-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I actually do chip in on the tickets, but that's besides the point. I do know what you are saying is to be true, but that is no excuse for calling us "snotty rich people". (I know it wasn't you) Think about this. Would it have been so hard to say rich people?
I have several friends who have become "rich" and are still diehard Ranger fans. But, that's not the point--they are true fans. In any case, it's not the diehard "snotty rich people" who have changed the atmosphere, it's the fact that too many tickets go to people who just want to go to a sporting event and don't care about the team and the sport as the diehards do. And since hockey is not like other sports--where you can take your eyes off the action for a minute or two (or ten), that means people are less involved and the crowd is much more passive.

Don't get caught up in labels--there's always an exception. But, live sports are changing in this country and not for the better. High ticket prices are a symptom and a cause.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
PawelW007

^ woah a little touch there, don't you think" There are rich snotty people who sit in those levels, whats not to assume thats the stereotype? Not doubting your family works hard for your money, or that you don't appreciate the fact you get to see as many games as you do but to deny that a solid 70% of the people sitting down there don't really care isn't a far stretch.

I don't mean to make this a class battle but Ive snuck down there quite a few times and for the most part those sections are emotionless, cold, and snotty. There was a kid maybe 16 last time I went down there in mid November ( estimation) when the rangers were playing the Canes.He was wearing a Gilroy Team USA jersey (crappy fans wear crappy jerseys I guess) and the kid sat stoic throughout an exhilarating 3rd period, when he did speak he was insulting and cursing at his poor mother who probably provided those tickets and got annoyed when the crowd made sounds. I'll never forget the amount of disgust I felt sitting behind that jerk. For the record I scoped out the seats through 2 periods and sat down through the 3rd, didnt disrupts anyones viewing experience.

Regardless maybe you appreciate where you sit, as someone who travels 2 plus hours to a game with not as much means and then scream their lungs out til they cant speak, its a frustrating experience watching "the suits" not even care that they're at a game.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
^ woah a little touch there, don't you think" There are rich snotty people who sit in those levels, whats not to assume thats the stereotype? Not doubting your family works hard for your money, or that you don't appreciate the fact you get to see as many games as you do but to deny that a solid 70% of the people sitting down there don't really care isn't a far stretch.

I don't mean to make this a class battle but Ive snuck down there quite a few times and for the most part those sections are emotionless, cold, and snotty. There was a kid maybe 16 last time I went down there in mid November ( estimation) when the rangers were playing the Canes.He was wearing a Gilroy Team USA jersey (crappy fans wear crappy jerseys I guess) and the kid sat stoic throughout an exhilarating 3rd period, when he did speak he was insulting and cursing at his poor mother who probably provided those tickets and got annoyed when the crowd made sounds. I'll never forget the amount of disgust I felt sitting behind that jerk. For the record I scoped out the seats through 2 periods and sat down through the 3rd, didnt disrupts anyones viewing experience.

Regardless maybe you appreciate where you sit, as someone who travels 2 plus hours to a game with not as much means and then scream their lungs out til they cant speak, its a frustrating experience watching "the suits" not even care that they're at a game.
I don't sit next to suits. My section has about 5 (that I know of) season holders. They are all passionate fans. I even became friends with the guy sitting next to me. He was a Russian guy who would drink and get into the game like no other. He would curse at the players (rozsival, don't get me started) in Russian. He always offered me a drink and was a very fun guy to sit next to at the games (he had season, sat next to him at every game I went to). I know there are snotty rich people, but to label a whole group, a group that can afford those tickets, snotty rich people is just rude. My whole section 123 was passionate and loud. I know that's only my section, but I'm pretty sure other sections in the 100's were just like mine.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I've had seats in the 100's because my mother's boyfriend used to work at a Wall Street company that had season tickets.

Not only are there some real fans there, but I've had my share of bad times in the 300s sitting next to drunken idiots, especially since i'm the type who really gets into the game. "Oh but I sit in the 300's, i'm not a drunken idiot!" Well, then why are you so quick to use the snooty rich stereotype? I've had drunk "true fans" in the center 300's turn around and call me a ****** for standing up and screaming, no joke. Meanwhile, when I saw Hank's 200th win in the 200's, me, the 20-something year old next to me, and the 50 year old dude in front of me all high fived and celebrated after the shootout win after all of us got into the gmae.

There are fans everywhere, and non-fans everywhere too. You're ridiculous if you think otherwise. I've had seats next to a die hard fan in the 200's, and seats next to some chick who was on her phone the whole game in the 300's who kept calling Lundqvist "Lund-qew-vist."

The fact is though, soon you're gonna have to be rich to even sit in the 400's.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Funny, I'm not being "tough" (I assume that's what you meant), I'm blaming the system. I just said many of the "snotty rich people" (still holding out hope I'll qualify one day), some of whom happen to be season ticket holders, can be diehard fans. It's the people who go to the event, not the hockey game, who have changed the fan experience. And very honestly, the organization has helped to change the atmosphere too and not for the better. There was a time when fans weren't bombarded with noise and flashing lights constantly. The fans decided when to cheer and when to make noise, not the scoreboard. Pricing the "real" fans out of the Garden is just one way seeing a hockey game has changed. I would very much like to go back to the "good old days" and be able to see a hockey game without the distractions, but that's not going to happen. And, in any case, there may come a point where I'm priced out of the Garden (and the City) entirely or I may just give up going to games because of the noise and distractions. Either way, the world has changed. If you don't like the "suits" downstairs, stay upstairs with the "real" fans-at least until there are none of us left.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I've had seats in the 100's because my mother's boyfriend used to work at a Wall Street company that had season tickets.

Not only are there some real fans there, but I've had my share of bad times in the 300s sitting next to drunken idiots, especially since i'm the type who really gets into the game. "Oh but I sit in the 300's, i'm not a drunken idiot!" Well, then why are you so quick to use the snooty rich stereotype? I've had drunk "true fans" in the center 300's turn around and call me a ****** for standing up and screaming, no joke. Meanwhile, when I saw Hank's 200th win in the 200's, me, the 20-something year old next to me, and the 50 year old dude in front of me all high fived and celebrated after the shootout win after all of us got into the gmae.

There are fans everywhere, and non-fans everywhere too. You're ridiculous if you think otherwise. I've had seats next to a die hard fan in the 200's, and seats next to some chick who was on her phone the whole game in the 300's who kept calling Lundqvist "Lund-qew-vist."

Quite true (although as a "chick" who has seen many more guys spend the whole game looking up stuff/texting/bragging to their buddies how they're at the game, I'll take offense at your swipe at the fairer sex!)

I had to change my seats (in the 300s) because of two "suits" (with company tickets--let's get real here--"they" don't only sit near the glass) would come to 8-10 games, always late and then spend most of their time getting up during play to get drunker. When they bothered to watch the game, all they did was curse out whatever player was nearest the puck. Wouldn't even say sorry when they dumped beer on people, which usually happened several times a game.

I've also been harrassed by people down in the really good seats (used to buy one expensive set of tickets a year when my best friend's favorite player came to town) because we were too loud (cheering/etc--not being an idiot, just a fan)--which honestly I can't say has happened to me in 300/400s. Of course it was a weekend afternoon game, so maybe they were diehard fans who were hung over, but it annoyed us nonetheless.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 07-24-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
I don't sit next to suits. My section has about 5 (that I know of) season holders. They are all passionate fans. I even became friends with the guy sitting next to me. He was a Russian guy who would drink and get into the game like no other. He would curse at the players (rozsival, don't get me started) in Russian. He always offered me a drink and was a very fun guy to sit next to at the games (he had season, sat next to him at every game I went to). I know there are snotty rich people, but to label a whole group, a group that can afford those tickets, snotty rich people is just rude. My whole section 123 was passionate and loud. I know that's only my section, but I'm pretty sure other sections in the 100's were just like mine.
How many seats are in a section? Yeah, you have your 5 holders, but who do you think fills up the rest of the section? A lot of the times, from my experiences, it's people who don't really know the game and are on their blackberries the whole time.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Sorry, sorry. But she WAS a female ! The guy who called me a ****** was a guy, though, with his son no less. Sometimes I can agree I get a little out of hand and will cool down the swearing. I was livid that game where we lost to Craig Anderson and the Sens, i'm pretty sure nobody's ever heard the phrase "****ing Craig Anderson!" so many times. But i've been given dirty looks sometimes just for CHEERING in the 300's sometimes. The stereotypes just aren't true here, and you'll find real fans and "suits" or other people, in every section of the arena. the only truth to this situation is that tickets are getting too expensive.

Old
07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
How many seats are in a section? Yeah, you have your 5 holders, but who do you think fills up the rest of the section? A lot of the times, from my experiences, it's people who don't really know the game and are on their blackberries the whole time.
I was gonna say, 5 known season ticket holders in your section is pretty weak, TBH. If under 60% of my section in the 400s aren't season ticket holders, i would be surprised. But i wouldn't be, because i see the same people every game.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
I was gonna say, 5 known season ticket holders in your section is pretty weak, TBH. If under 60% of my section in the 400s aren't season ticket holders, i would be surprised. But i wouldn't be, because i see the same people every game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Like I said, 5 that I KNOW OF. I don't spend my time during games walking up and down the aisles asking people if they are season ticket holders. I go by who I see. And every game I went to, the people sitting right behind me, right infront of me, to my left, to my right, and one other group farther down to the right were there as well. There are definitely more. No one in my section wears a suit. they are all Ranger fans in jerseys cheering all the time. You guys act like it's not possible to sit down low and be a real fan. As if there aren't fake fans in the 300's/400's...

Old
07-24-2011, 11:01 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I kind of take offense to this. Just because my family can afford the tickets we have, doesn't make me any less of a Ranger fan. Whether I sit in section 123, or 423, I'm still a diehard. I have my own blog and bleed blue till I die. Heck, I post on a god damn hockey forum for the Rangers non-stop. I don't appreciate me and my family being called a snotty rich person/people just because my family can afford these seats. Now I know you are going to say it was directed at the businesses and the business men, but it doesn't matter, your comment was rude and unwarranted.

The Garden was rocking last season and it will be rocking even more next season. Just because we can afford our seats doesn't make us any less of Ranger fans.
Wow, you need to get over yourself. If you're not one of the snooty blackberry using fans, the guess what? He probably wasn't talking about you.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Wow, you need to get over yourself. If you're not one of the snooty blackberry using fans, the guess what? He probably wasn't talking about you.
Not anymore than the people who think just because they sit in the 400's that it makes them any more of a fan than another person.

The prices raises are just as much the fault of somebody in the 300's buying these ridiculously priced tickets than somebody in the 100's. More the fault of James Dolan being completely disconnected from reality.

Old
07-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Not anymore than the people who think just because they sit in the 400's that it makes them any more of a fan than another person.

The prices raises are just as much the fault of somebody in the 300's buying these ridiculously priced tickets than somebody in the 100's. More the fault of James Dolan being completely disconnected from reality.
The problem is that they are not disconnected from reality--the Garden sells out most nights. And the moves that have been made over the last year or two will increase demand. They are just doing what most businesses in New York (and elsewhere) are doing: raising prices as high as they will go. They don't care that they are pricing the diehard fan out of going.

Old
07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

If someone got annoyed at me for making noise at a hockey game I would make it a point to make as much noise as I could. I'd tell them if they got a problem with it then go call security. Good luck with getting security to tell someone to quiet down, this isn't a damn movie theater.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:57 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
thats true, and its a 35% or so increase, by estimation
Different sections of seating were affected at different rates. The lower you go down the arena, the higher the price increases. For instance, my seats in the 400's only increased by $2 ($37 to $39), or 5%... The cumulative price increase was stated at 23%, but that percentage was obviously not applied to all sections equally, so keep that in mind. People will have varying reactions to the changes relative to how much they were affected/impacted.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
The stereotypes just aren't true here, and you'll find real fans and "suits" or other people, in every section of the arena. the only truth to this situation is that tickets are getting too expensive.
I think people misinterpret the stereotypes thrown out there, then they wind up getting offended. It's not about any one particular type of fan (die-hard type vs. suit type) being in a particular section, it's about percentages.... The perception is that at the lowest levels, you are more likely to encounter a larger percentage of attendees to the game, who aren't regular Ranger fans let alone hockey fans, because they're getting the tickets comped to them through their company. Sure you could have actual Ranger fans using those tickets at times, but you also have that group of individuals who otherwise would not attend a game, let alone pay for top dollar tickets to do so... And therein lies your source for these "suit" types... But I don't think I've ever seen someone imply, that every fan who sits at those levels is that way, or that you don't also get those types in other parts of the arena. Everybody can agree that you can wind up sitting next to any type of fan in any section of the building, and that your personal seats, do not dictate your demeanor... So no need for anyone to take personal offense to the generalizations being thrown out there, they need to be looked at in the proper context and not applied internally on a personal level.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

Good post. I've sat in good seats with dull suits and/or snotty ********** around me, but I've also sat in good seats with a bunch of diehards. I've sat in the worst seats and had great experiences and I've also had HORRIBLE experiences. Good times.

Had pretty good seats in Jersey for the first playoff game after the lockout, which was one of the worst games of all-time. Almost got into a fight with a Debbie fanatic in the row behind me. The atmosphere for that game was crazy, when it was still a game, and even when it wasn't. Bad seats for the Hollweg/Simon incident at Nassau, but heck of a time, that game was.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

You do realize Gilroy is from Long Island, right? Could have been a friend of his family, a relative. I sat in the Devils player section at the Rock one game. My friend got tickets through Kevin Weekes. Next to me were Tommy Albelin's kids and a few rows in front of me was Brodeur's (at the time) new fiance. The people in those sections tend to be more low key.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Sorry, sorry. But she WAS a female ! The guy who called me a ****** was a guy, though, with his son no less. Sometimes I can agree I get a little out of hand and will cool down the swearing. I was livid that game where we lost to Craig Anderson and the Sens, i'm pretty sure nobody's ever heard the phrase "****ing Craig Anderson!" so many times. But i've been given dirty looks sometimes just for CHEERING in the 300's sometimes. The stereotypes just aren't true here, and you'll find real fans and "suits" or other people, in every section of the arena. the only truth to this situation is that tickets are getting too expensive.
I find it very hard to believe someone in the 300's gave you an attitude for cheering. Then again, if you are acting like an idiot, you'll get flack from people regardless of where you were sitting. At the opener last year, I had words with someone in my section (420). Guy was smashed, being a jerk, standing up in the middle of the play. I went off on him, he tries to act tough and wound up getting his foot stuck in his seat.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
patnyrnyg

I also love how people love to throw around the word, "suit". When I first got seasons, I had a job where I was required to wear a suit. I would go to the game straight from work. Am I less of a fan, because I had to wear a suit to work? I am also wondering when it became a crime to be financially successful in the country. "The snotty rich people who dont care..." Give me a break. I know plenty of wealthy people are also die-hard fans. They even wear a suit from time to time, oh that's right, fans aren't allowed to wear a suit.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I also love how people love to throw around the word, "suit". When I first got seasons, I had a job where I was required to wear a suit. I would go to the game straight from work. Am I less of a fan, because I had to wear a suit to work? I am also wondering when it became a crime to be financially successful in the country. "The snotty rich people who dont care..." Give me a break. I know plenty of wealthy people are also die-hard fans. They even wear a suit from time to time, oh that's right, fans aren't allowed to wear a suit.
^Amen brother.

Old
07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
So, now using a blackberry makes you snotty? Oh right, REAL fans only use iPhones, gotchya'.

Old
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
So, now using a blackberry makes you snotty? Oh right, REAL fans only use iPhones, gotchya'.
c'mon bro, you know that iphones have like 3X the "kool factor" then blackberries have

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
skroob**

Quote:
I also love how people love to throw around the word, "suit". When I first got seasons, I had a job where I was required to wear a suit. I would go to the game straight from work.
My job as well, however, i make sure that every morning before i leave for work, my jersey and my hat are in my bag. Come 6PM, the jacket comes off, and the jersey goes on.

Quote:
Like I said, 5 that I KNOW OF. I don't spend my time during games walking up and down the aisles asking people if they are season ticket holders. I go by who I see
You should *easily* be able to ID more than a handfull of people if they are regulars. I could easily pick out 50 people from my section, some by face, and a good number by name. After a few years, you know everybody. Its just how it works if everyone is there for every game.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
My job as well, however, i make sure that every morning before i leave for work, my jersey and my hat are in my bag. Come 6PM, the jacket comes off, and the jersey goes on.
I do that too, just not everyday. Sometimes I ran out of the house and forgot the jersey. Now, I go to the gym before work, so when I am leaving at 4:45am, I don't always remember to pack it.