HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will not buyout Wojtek Wolski

Old
07-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
With Wolski, he is the poster boy for inconsistency. He had a poor year last year by his standards and I think he can bounce back into becoming a 50 point player. I'm not a big fan of his style of game, but he could be a valuable asset to work around with. The biggest problem with Wolski is that he'll get to that 50 point range, but you'll be left wanting so much more. He's proven in the past that he can score for sure, he'll score 50 points with Stastny or Arnason as his center. That is the biggest problem. I would have grit on the Richards line, put Dubinsky there, put Wolski with Anisimov-Callahan and Fedotenko with Stepan and either Avery or Zuccarello.

Next year's priority is to get a legitimate #1 LWer. Sharp and Parise answer those questions, but I doubt they'll ever be available.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Wolski is going to surprise this year. There's a lot of talent on this team to play with. BR in the mix makes a huge difference. I'd like to see a PP unit with Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik-Staal-BR.

Dubi-AA-Cally for the 2nd unit

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Wolski is gonna get his shot in camp, baring any moves made after Cally and more than likely Eminger (although I don't think a move is likely at this point). But in my opinion right how he's in Boyle territory, with his name written in pencil instead of pen. He's gotta earn it, and I think he will. He gets himself in healthy scratch territory and he's done for though.

Let's hope he does follow Boyle's path.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

If Wolski can become more consistent he definitely has the skill to play on the wing with Richards and Gabby and have a 50+ point season. I believe he'll bounce back and have a great year.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:43 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Yes, but the attitude towards him is not. In this thread we've read that he's useless from a few posters and there is a significant dislike for him from most of our fanbase that is pretty unwarranted after 37 games. He is still young with room for improvement. Not so young, but certainly with room. He is also, still, regardless of yours or anyone else's assertions of his laziness, ONE season removed from scoring 65 points in the NHL, which doesn't mean anything in the immediate sense, but considering he was putting up those numbers barely more than 365 days ago, he can put them again. He didn't lose any skill or become more lazy than he was then.
Some of the attitude towards his game is justifiable, but overall, I could see where you're coming from. The negative extreme is too much; I don't even believe in the ideal of "extremes".

Even so, in those 37 games, his play shouldn't have exactly instilled confidence in any of us. He had a solid start, but tapered of pretty quickly, IMO. His first 5 games or so actually had me very excited about the possibility of what he could bring; but, just as Wolski's play tapered, so did my enthusiasm regarding his play. Just a very, very frustrating overall player. You look at the things he can do on the ice, along with the size he possesses, and it's very intriguing. He's like Nikolay Zherdev, a player I've followed for a few years. loved him as a Ranger, and they're very similar players. Both seem to lack in the hockey sense/IQ department, and both have motivational issues on the ice.

Regarding his 65 point season; I'm not going to use that as a barometer to judge his career. Jason Blake scored 40+ goals one season.I would personally consider Wolski a ~45 point scorer. IMO, he has the skill to put up 65 on average, but I question whether he has the heart or brains to do so.

Quote:
I don't mention his 40 point seasons because I think that's good production for him at this stage in his career (it was decent at the time though, 3+ seasons ago) but because it disproves people's constant BLIND assessment that he is useless. 40-50 point producers in the NHL aren't useless. Overpaid? Yes. Useless? No.
"Useless" is a subjective term. Certain fans may consider a player who can produce 40-50 points a season, yet is below-average in nearly all of the other facets of hockey, as somewhat "useless". If Wolski only puts up 40 points, I wouldn't consider him a very positive influence on the ice.

Quote:
the kid has PROVEN he can score 60+ points in the NHL, even while playing the game that so many of you are so harshly critcizing, which is far from useless and which deserves more than 40 games before kicking to the curb. He wasn't a different Wolski the year he put up 65, he was just in the right situation and playing with confidence.
This is the problem I have with Wolski; he needs to have essentially EVERY factor fall his way for him to produce slightly above-average numbers. He can't take charge and do so himself if there is even the SLIGHTEST of problems. I'm not going to deny his raw skill, but his mental makeup is far from impressive.

Quote:
I think it was you that said his going to Underhill shows some determination already. Wolski might work really hard and just have a style of game that only pays dividends in the right situation, but that doesn't make him the garbage heap our fanbase largely wants to make him out to be.
I said that about 10 posts ago, LOL.

I agree that he isn't COMPLETELY useless, but I definitely could see why people would think so.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Oh come on. Lisin is a minor leaguer. If you want to compare Wolski to anybody, it's Zherdev, except Wolski manages to put up some points in the play-offs.
Zherdev may as well be a minor leaguer.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
gimme a break

hes averaged something like 17 goals and 30 assists per year since hes been in the league. and he was +6 for us so its not like he cant play 5 on 5.

hes one of the best stick handlers in the entire league. hes one of our most dangerous offensive players and hes able to create chances on his own. all things we sorely need. hes not ryan callahan but so what. hes got solid skills.

for a team as offensively weak and goal challenged as we are, i would say a guy like this should have spot on our top 9. its not like we've got alot of other options.

no matter what you think, you cant have an entire team of brandon prusts and expect to win games 2-1 every night.

i swear if he was a rangers draft choice, most of you critics would be singing an entirely different tune about him. the guy flat out gets a bum rap around here.

and to call his game uselss. well thats just stup......silly.
I forgot that +6 = good even strength player, especially when half the time you're in the lineup you're playing 6 even strength minutes a game against 3rd and 4th liners

Old
07-24-2011, 10:34 PM
darko

Dubi/Richards/Gabby
WW/Arty/Cally

Looks good. It's his walk year so wouldnt be surprised if he ends up with 60 points or thereabouts.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:38 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Dubi/Richards/Gabby
WW/Arty/Cally

Looks good. It's his walk year so wouldnt be surprised if he ends up with 60 points or thereabouts.
Exactly how I see it.

Wolski fits well with Anisimov/Callahan, and Dubinsky can bring the best out of the Gaborik/Richards duo.

I'm the most confident I've been in the top-6 since 07-08.

Old
07-24-2011, 11:10 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I've been saying for a while that Wolski could be significantly improved with a new pair of skakitng legs. He skates from his knees an awful lot and I triul believe the rangers knew that when acquiring him. They know better than anyone how much Barb Underhill is impacting him this offseason.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Wolski is gonna get his shot in camp, baring any moves made after Cally and more than likely Eminger (although I don't think a move is likely at this point). But in my opinion right how he's in Boyle territory, with his name written in pencil instead of pen. He's gotta earn it, and I think he will. He gets himself in healthy scratch territory and he's done for though.

Let's hope he does follow Boyle's path.
I think this is all accurate - and fair.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
kennglin13

I know we all feel Dubi better fits the top line, but WW has potential and more importantly, Dubi/AA/Cally have ridiculous chemistry.

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
I know we all feel Dubi better fits the top line, but WW has potential and more importantly, Dubi/AA/Cally have ridiculous chemistry.
Wolski may have "potential," but he's softer than Liberace at the Playboy Mansion.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Exactly. I don't think we should break that line up yet because they played well together last season imo.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
94now

Wolski will be bought out. I don't want him go, but Torts cannot deal with talent that requires work. Torts is a motivator, noting else. He is not a teacher, all he can do is to challenge. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but Torts has no plan for the guy and never will. Never had any. Zherdev, Lisin, Wolski, Zuccarello he gets them all out sooner or later. After that MSG PR would blame the player. Worked before, will work again. Brooks is just a smoke screen here.
P.S. just add Chistensen to the list.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:59 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wolski will be bought out. I don't want him go, but Torts cannot deal with talent that requires work. Torts is a motivator, noting else. He is not a teacher, all he can do is to challenge. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but Torts has no plan for the guy and never will. Zherdev, Lisin, Wolski, Zuccarello he gets them all out sooner or later. After that MSG PR blames the player. Worked before, will work again. Brooks is just a smoke screen here.
Where is the indication that he will be bought out?

Also, are you blaming Tortorella for those players failing? All of those players (aside from Zucarello, who doesn't belong on that list) had already failed in numerous locations before arriving to NY. Is Dave Tippet a bad "teacher"? Is Ken Hitckcock? Laviolette? The main issue with Wolski/Christensen/Zherdev/Lisin is a severe lack of hockey IQ and intensity. Nothing else.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
not sure what that means. im pretty sure im alot older than you and i own no trucks

that, however, does not in any way change the fact that your post was drivel

please look at his career numbers before you post the crap you did. sometimes people should just refrain from posting if they havent a clue.

its painful to watch people look foolish.
If you don't like my posts then don't read them.

My suggestion was that you are childish. That went over your head. Calling people stupid and describing their posts as drivel underscores that point.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:21 AM
RangerFan10

I don't think he's in the same spot Boyle was last season at all. Boyle was barely penciled in as the 4th line center going in and battled to make sure he didn't lose that spot.

Wolski will be on this team opening night no matter what happens in camp assuming there aren't any moves made. There are no other players in our system that can challenge for a top 6 left wing spot. He'll get a shot during the season no matter what. The question then is how does he play and if he doesn't succeed how long before we cut our losses?

Old
07-25-2011, 03:24 AM
RangerFan10

Also, ridicilious chemistry would be Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry. If Dubi-AA-Cally had this amazing chemistry that apparently is so good it makes them a line to end all lines, their point totals would be off the charts. they play well together because all three of them are talented players that go to the dirty areas of the ice and play good defensive hockey. You take one of them off the line and they'll be fine. It'd be a disservice to Dubinsky, Richards and Gaborik if you don't put them together as a line.

Old
07-25-2011, 04:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Also, ridicilious chemistry would be Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry. If Dubi-AA-Cally had this amazing chemistry that apparently is so good it makes them a line to end all lines, their point totals would be off the charts. they play well together because all three of them are talented players that go to the dirty areas of the ice and play good defensive hockey. You take one of them off the line and they'll be fine. It'd be a disservice to Dubinsky, Richards and Gaborik if you don't put them together as a line.
Agreed. Callahan and Anisimov will be fine with any players because they are very smart and utilitarian players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
You heard it hear first. Fedotenko will be on the top line. They need a board player and Wolski can't do that - and as you mentioned - that line has awesome chemistry so it balances things out..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

There is no better option out there, lets see if he can get it together this year. Playing with BR&Gabby will be the chance of his life. I think he will end up something like 25+35.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:00 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I forgot that +6 = good even strength player, especially when half the time you're in the lineup you're playing 6 even strength minutes a game against 3rd and 4th liners
were he -6, im convinced that you and others would highlight that as an example of his lack of attention to the other side of the ice.

and the bolded part above explains alot about why wolski's production fell off.

like with any ''skilled '' player, if you put him on a checking line or with players who are less skilled and without offensive creativity, or you play him 6 minutes per game and give him zero pp minutes, or you expect him to become brandon prust, hes bound to struggle. thats not his game.

this is on torts imo. its not the job of a player to change his game to suit his coach- especially skill players, its the coaches job to put that player in spots where he has the best chance at success and thus, the best chance to help is team win.

its a vicious cycle we've seen before. no production = no minutes. no minutes = no production. and on and on and on.

and im not advocating letting players play outside a system or a concept. not at all. but we've seen this in the past with torts and ''skilled '' players. this isnt torts strong suit. hes best with guys like brandon prust. thats his kinda player.

guys like wolski will always struggle with torts. guys like callahan will excel.

im prepared to see wolski have some very good games and some games where hes invisible too. see, thats what you get with guys like that. no different than what we see with gaborik or what we saw with zherdev. players who get by on effort and hustle like prust, cally, boyle and feds all have less skill but show up every night and work their arses off while guys like gaby and w2, who need to get on the score sheet to look like they've had a good game, some times look invisible.

you take the good with the bad and hope that your coach understands how to use ALL his players to maximize his return.

w2 will be fine this year unless and until torts drops him down to 6 minutes per game on a checking line. then hes toast.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:05 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Wolski will be bought out. I don't want him go, but Torts cannot deal with talent that requires work. Torts is a motivator, noting else. He is not a teacher, all he can do is to challenge. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but Torts has no plan for the guy and never will. Never had any. Zherdev, Lisin, Wolski, Zuccarello he gets them all out sooner or later. After that MSG PR would blame the player. Worked before, will work again. Brooks is just a smoke screen here.
well said. you nailed it.

hes rigid, dictatorial and confrontational. thats works with some players and works against others.

a team full of brandon prusts wont win many games but torts would have them believing they could. eventually though, that mirage would disappear.

torts is torts. he wont change.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Zherdev left over a contract dispute. Lisin sucked to begin with. ODC overhyped him, he was never any good. Is it Tortorella's fault that Phoenix gave up on him? And that he's now nothing mre than an average KHL player? And Christensen, this will be his third year here. Torts has no plan for the guy? He'd likely be out of the NHL had we not given him the opportunities we did.

I'm no Torts fan, but you're off base here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote