HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How far is boyle from the nhL?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
How far is boyle from the nhL?

Since he's a power forward, i think he's still a good 3-4 yrs away.. but i'll ask you guys what you think since you know him more than me probably. (Not a Kings fan)

Is he the real thing? a 6'7" C who can score?

Old
09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
king4you

well since he still has his Jr. and Sr. years of college. and with the ammount of tallent we already have in our system i think he will stay for both years and then he will probably need 1 maybe 2 years in the minors. so i agree about 3-4 years. but if he has a stand out season this year there could be a chance that the kings have him leave college early and come up and play in manchester.

Old
09-22-2005, 12:05 PM
PRMan

You can catch him on Boston University games. I saw him on a CSTV free preview weekend once.

To answer your question, in a word, yes. He is a talented 6'7" Center who can score. He looks very much like Jason Allison. He is much faster than you can imagine at that size. Like Shaq, he is a huge guy who is also an athlete.

Still, can he succeed at the NHL level? Hard to say.

BTW, isn't there a rule now about guys staying for 4 years in college becoming free agents again? Didn't we just pick somebody up like that? Does that apply to Boyle (he was first round)?

Old
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
spudboy

Agree. 3-4 years. But, that's about like all prospects. He started slow last year, and evidently was not playing physical at all. He picked it up at the end of the year. Hopefully, he'll continue progressing. He has soft hands for a big guy. He just has to remember when you're bigger, you need to use your size advantage also.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:05 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan
You can catch him on Boston University games. I saw him on a CSTV free preview weekend once.
Not to nitpick, but he plays for Boston College

As for Boyle himself... if he keeps up his rate of development from the 2nd half of the season, he'll undoubtedly be a King within 4 years.

But he could still bust, too. It's too early to tell.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

BTW, isn't there a rule now about guys staying for 4 years in college becoming free agents again? Didn't we just pick somebody up like that? Does that apply to Boyle (he was first round)?
Yes

Old
09-22-2005, 05:03 PM
PRMan

Sorry, too many dang universities in Boston. Can't keep them all straight.

Old
09-22-2005, 05:05 PM
no name

I wouldnt be counting on him being an NHLer. He is a huge bust candidate as KP mentioned.

Old
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
I wouldnt be counting on him being an NHLer. He is a huge bust candidate as KP mentioned.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0318boy.mov
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0319bo1.mov
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0319bo2.mov
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0304bo1.mov
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0304bo2.mov
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/video/0405/0114boy.mov

Yep, looks like a huge bust candidate to me.
He is going to be one of the go-to-guys on BC's roster next season, where he will further develop and possibly earn himself a contract and make the move to Manchester and perhaps forego his senior year (of course, depending on his level of progress at BC). On the plus side, he won't be too far away from home playing in Manchester.

Oh and I should also add this regarding Boyle's performance last season...

"Sophomore forward Brian Boyle received the James E. Tiernan Award as the team's most improved player. Tiernan was the most valuable player in the 1956 Beanpot. Boyle tallied 27 points - 19 goals and eight assists - in 40 games this season. He earned All-Tournament honors in the Hockey East Tournament after recording four goals and two assists in four games. Last season, he notched eight points."

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 09-22-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old
09-22-2005, 05:36 PM
king4you

Quote:
yes there is, but i think that the player has the choice of becomming a free agent or not.

Old
09-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Yep, looks like a huge bust candidate to me.
I've never seen him play or anything, but I'd have to lean towards agreement with no name. Not many players that big have success in the NHL, and that number may shrink now with the new CBA, where mobility is more important. Many Kings fans had high hopes similar to yours for Steckel, another 6.5-foot center drafted late in the 1st round primarily (IMO) for his size. Here's hoping that Boyle develops into a stud, and he seems to have the skill for it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high because he does have a relatively high chance (compared to the Kings' other prospects) of ending up a bust, which is all I think no name meant.

BTW, thanks for the videos, Ziggy. Good find.

Last edited by Osprey: 09-22-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old
09-22-2005, 06:31 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal
Since he's a power forward, i think he's still a good 3-4 yrs away.. but i'll ask you guys what you think since you know him more than me probably. (Not a Kings fan)

Is he the real thing? a 6'7" C who can score?
He plays at Boston College and the Bruins are in Boston so he is not far from the NHL at all.

Old
09-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Game Misconduct

In my opinion, Boyle has the highest upside of any Kings' prospect, including Kopitar.

How do you like them apples?

Old
09-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
In my opinion, Boyle has the highest upside of any Kings' prospect, including Kopitar.
Well, so did Jens Karlsson at one point.

How do you like them oranges?

Old
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
spudboy

I like Boyle. He's no Steckel. Steckel was picked in a poor draft. Boyle was in a great draft class. I think he has the highest potential of all the Kings prospects, but I would rate Kopitar as having a higher probability of becoming a top line NHL center. Boyle COULD end up being better.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy
I like Boyle. He's no Steckel. Steckel was picked in a poor draft. Boyle was in a great draft class. I think he has the highest potential of all the Kings prospects, but I would rate Kopitar as having a higher probability of becoming a top line NHL center. Boyle COULD end up being better.
In a perfect world, Boyle and Kopitar could be a great 1-2 punch for years

Old
09-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Unlike Steckel, Boyle doesn't have a skating difficiency that will hamper his play. He actually skates very well and is fairly mobile for a guy his size.

The only issue with Boyle in the past was his physical game and desire on the ice. The HS level of hockey was so easy on him that he appeared to be bored on the ice. It is quite a significant jump from high school and collegiate hockey, which is why Boyle struggled in his freshman year and saw limited ice time.

Early on during his sophomore year, BC Eagles head coach Jerry York challenged Boyle and Brian stepped up and became a force for the Eagles playing on their top powerplay unit and leading the team with 19 goals.

A few more items to add to his impressive 04-05 season...

Played in all 40 games, including all 24 Hockey East contests ... earned the James E. Tiernan Memorial Award as the program's Most Improved Player ... gained Hockey East Tournament Most Valuable Player honors (and All-Tournament honors) after tallying four goals and two assists in four tournament games ... also gained Florida College Classic All-Tournament honors and NCAA Tournament East Regional All-Tournament accolades ... scored four game-winning goals ... scored two goals, including the decisive goal on the power play, to lead the Eagles past New Hampshire in the Hockey East Tournament's title game.

http://bceagles.collegesports.com/sp...e_brian00.html

Old
09-22-2005, 09:32 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
Don't get me wrong... I think he can have an NHL career. His likely upside from what little I have seen, and read, is that of Keith Primeau. I certainly don't see him as some dominant first line center, but I do think he will be able to perform in clutch situations.

But it really depends on what Boyle we see in the Junior and Senior years. Will he need to be challenged by the coach again? Or will he be proactive with his hockey career?

He's a project; because it takes longer for him to develop, he has the biggest chance of busting. Goalies take a long time to develop as well, and thus they also have a very high chance of busting.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Osprey

Thanks. Perhaps I underestimate him, which is great. It's hard to get excited or even not be skeptical when a "project" player is still 3-4 years away (edit: Kings' Pawn just said it better than I've been able to), but I hope his development continues and he ends up as good as hoped.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Thanks. Perhaps I underestimate him, which is great. It's hard to get excited or even not be skeptical when a "project" player is still 3-4 years away (edit: Kings' Pawn just said it better than I've been able to), but I hope his development continues and he ends up as good as hoped.
I think this year will go a long way towards determining if he has what it takes to be an NHL calibre player. A bad season can all but end his potential future with the Kings.

Old
09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Well, so did Jens Karlsson at one point.

How do you like them oranges?
Jens Karlsson never had Boyle's upside, and most people I know were pretty shocked when he was taken. Personally, I wanted us to take Colby Armstrong at the time, but he's not developing so rapidly either.

Boyle has the potential to be a dominant #1 center. He has a long way to go to get there, but you can't teach that size, and he skates and stickhandles extremely well for someone that big.

To be clear, upside is potential, not probable development.

Closed Thread