HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Do you miss John Davidson?

Old
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Davidson was an excellent color man but I can't say that I really miss him that much. To be honest at times he annoyed me. For instance his always backing off on the refs. He was a hard guy to replace though and Micheletti though a very insightful color man does not have half of JD's personality. The guy I miss most from the Rangers telecasts actually though is the bullet--Bob Page. That guy didn't give a **** about who's toes he stepped on. He truly made those 90's era broadcasts fun--but almost as soon as Dolan walked in the door--Page was walked out.

Anyway if I had to choose between John Davidson and Joy Division--it would be Joy Division.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I miss JD so bad but I can tell Joe knows his Hockey. He did a great job I thought at the Olympics and showed to me he knows the game. I'm used to Joe now so if he moved out I would be all screwed up lol.

On JD he had such a unique style that it's hard to replace. I'm not sure how long some of you been fans but my first taste of NYR hockey was on old CH 9 when they would televise 3 or so road games a month. JD would always have his phone going off (before Blackberry days) talking about trades and scoops of rumors he would hear during the games. I remember Sam would always say when he heard his phone "JD's getting a scoop". Plus he would do HNIC on the weekends and get some really juicy stuff. Joe tried this once I believe during the Sundin saga and I think we all remember that didn't go too well.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Sockosensei

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?"
Man, we were so spoiled and I had no clue.

Miss JD. No offense to Joe.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:13 AM
gotmonte

I terribly miss him. Think he and Sam were the best two guys in the business.

But how memory gets slighted through time.

I remember AOL Chat rooms calling for J.D.'s head towards the last two seasons of his broadcasting career. People thought he began to become more of a homer... more wishy washy. Scared to say the linesmen blew a call or even say a goal was a goal without looking at the instant replay.

I still love the guy. But it was coming time for him to go. I still was VERY sad when he left and I praise him forever. But his time came and went. Now he is Mr. Corporate. I always thought he would throw Sam some insider information who then would peddle it to the fans (sort of like helping out the rangers fans) but I dont think that ever came true.

Best of Luck J.D. AND NO I dont want him as a GM. He traded Rundblad lol

I wish him all the luck though in his Position. I just rather keep the memories fond of him and not have him come back and spoil the memories while adding new ones that arent so rosy

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I miss JD, but I'm at the point now where I'm not constantly thinking about it, anymore, during broadcasts.

Joe, while not as good as JD, still does a good job. I'm very content, right now.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont dislike Joe M. - think hes done a good job. But he does annoy me at times. The thing that bothers me most about him is that his color depth is limited. Most of the stuff he talks about is very basic. He knows the players well and has good experiences there to pass along to the viewer, but his detailed in game analysis and system breakdowns is very limited imo. Or should i say "catered to the ease of listening"

I think this could be said for a number of color guys around this league. When you watch a football game the color guys talk about defensive packages, offensive routes, etc. They breakdown the play second by second. I seldom see this done in hockey. Very few color guys actually have the ability to do this. Why do i think its important?

If you want to grow this sport you have to educate the viewer. IMO too many non-hockey or casual hockey fans fail to understand the games complexity. They just think its a bunch of goons and euros skating around punching and sticking eachother with some goals and saves mixed in. There are complex systems (that even some of the players dont understand!), rotations, locks, traps, cycles, floods, etc. that work on a grander scale that never get conveyed to the viewer. I think that would be received well. Its not just about getting in on the forecheck, its WHY and HOW and what the end result SHOULD be. If you watched any of Tortorellas coaching segments, its like a different language then what we normally hear during a broadcast.

Its not just about learning what an icing or offsides is. The reason why some games are low scoring is because each team is being incredibly disciplined. The viewer should know that and little things like forcing a pass towards the benches instead of away from them in the second period should be mentioned. Joes use of the telestrator is terrible. In a big market like NYC where there are a lot of fair-weather friends, this type of education may be useful for the fans who just yell SHOOOOT all the time. Great hockey displays extremely intelligent hockey sense, and i dont think thats pointed out enough on a grand scale - most of that stuff is done away from goals and saves.

I dont know, just my two cents. When I see a little play or sequence of little plays by Anisimov in the defense zone go unnoticed time and time again - it drives me nuts. Instead Joe talks about how a player shot it wide and they cut to another Garden of Dreams promo.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Oh Baby!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I miss JD. He was a great broadcaster and added a lot to the broadcasts. But at the same time, I think he adds more to the game overall now than he could have before. Hopefully we see him back in NY in some role in the future.

But I think we could do a lot worse than Joe. He sees the game pretty well, adds some emotion to the broadcasts, and isn't terribly annoying unlike some local teams color guys.

He's a Rangers homer for sure, but I think that's more a factor of his paycheck since he has zero ties to the Rangers organization prior to his broadcast tenure. I've seen worse, and a some homerism is expected from the home broadcast team.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

As long as I have Sam, I'm a happy ****ing camper.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:03 AM
MFesta627

Sam and JD, in my biased opinion, were the best tandem in all of sports. I miss JD, and while Micheletti's voice annoys me at times, I don't think he's too bad. Plus he's a nice guy. My brother took the train to a game last year and was on the train with Joe. Joe spent a few minutes talking Rangers hockey with my brother, and not talking down to him, like he was a regular guy.

So yes, I think any Ranger fan misses JD, but Joe has done a pretty good job.

MFesta627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
drewcon40

I am a little older watching Rangers hockey in the 80s and 90s. I definately miss JD. I think that his "softness" towards the end of his broadcasting career was partially due to a mandate that may have come from the MSG bosses. Remember, these are the same folks who a local paper claimed asked Marv Albert to stop openly criticizing the Knicks.

I remember JD used to say on the air what he thought the Rangers should do in the off season right down to naming players. If I recall correctly, in 1995, Petr Nedved was centering a line with Kovalev and I forget who else. I remember him saying "Wouldn't Esa Tikkanen look good on the left side." During a game towards the end of one season, Bob Bassen was an upcoming free agent and J.D. would say "The Rangers really should go after Bassen to fill the 4th line center". He would always mention how much Neil Smith coveted Stu Grimson. These are things that you don't hear today.

One JD memory that I love was when the Rangers were retiring Mike Richter's number, JD was the master of ceremonies. JD started his opening and the crowd started yelling "Richter, Richter". JD eventually paused, looked up with a proud look and simply said "you're the greatest". It appeared very sincere and just a small moment that I remember fondly.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
yes I miss him a lot. Him and Sam were the voice of hockey for me when I was growing up

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

More then you can possibly imagine. I blame Micheletti (and Al Trautwig) directly for the pant load that Sam Rosen has turned into. I know a lot of people will say this is blasphemy, and that's fine, but it's the truth. You take Sam out of the MSG booth, and away from those 2 babbling idiots, and you have a completely different announcer.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont dislike Joe M. - think hes done a good job. But he does annoy me at times. The thing that bothers me most about him is that his color depth is limited. Most of the stuff he talks about is very basic. He knows the players well and has good experiences there to pass along to the viewer, but his detailed in game analysis and system breakdowns is very limited imo. Or should i say "catered to the ease of listening"

I think this could be said for a number of color guys around this league. When you watch a football game the color guys talk about defensive packages, offensive routes, etc. They breakdown the play second by second. I seldom see this done in hockey. Very few color guys actually have the ability to do this. Why do i think its important?

If you want to grow this sport you have to educate the viewer. IMO too many non-hockey or casual hockey fans fail to understand the games complexity. They just think its a bunch of goons and euros skating around punching and sticking eachother with some goals and saves mixed in. There are complex systems (that even some of the players dont understand!), rotations, locks, traps, cycles, floods, etc. that work on a grander scale that never get conveyed to the viewer. I think that would be received well. Its not just about getting in on the forecheck, its WHY and HOW and what the end result SHOULD be. If you watched any of Tortorellas coaching segments, its like a different language then what we normally hear during a broadcast.

Its not just about learning what an icing or offsides is. The reason why some games are low scoring is because each team is being incredibly disciplined. The viewer should know that and little things like forcing a pass towards the benches instead of away from them in the second period should be mentioned. Joes use of the telestrator is terrible. In a big market like NYC where there are a lot of fair-weather friends, this type of education may be useful for the fans who just yell SHOOOOT all the time. Great hockey displays extremely intelligent hockey sense, and i dont think thats pointed out enough on a grand scale - most of that stuff is done away from goals and saves.

I dont know, just my two cents. When I see a little play or sequence of little plays by Anisimov in the defense zone go unnoticed time and time again - it drives me nuts. Instead Joe talks about how a player shot it wide and they cut to another Garden of Dreams promo.
I totally agree with all of this. Unfortunately, you're right that there are almost no color guys that do it. So while I would say that Joe is better than a lot of color guys, it isn't something that's of a high quality league-wide. I think it would be much more interesting if teams got former coaches to go into the broadcast booth, rather than the former players who seem to get those jobs more often.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
gluvhand

It's impossible to break down a hockey game like you can a football game. The pace doesn't allow for it. I do feel JD did a better job of it than JM, who I can't listen to for too long, but having said that, I think JD's time here was ending anyway, as a previous poster said. I feel he was becoming a caricature of himself. I do think he elevated Sam's game a bit too. I won't be sad when Sam steps down either. Time marches on.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
ZacUSNYR

Nay I don't miss him, I think we're good in goal with Hank and Biron.

:lol

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

well said

a LOT of good efforts, particularly defensive efforts, go unmentioned and its very frustrating to watch...ESPECAILLY in the presence of loudmouth fans who have no clue what their talking about

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
still dont like micheletti because of how much i loved JD

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:

Precisely.

This is what made JD so good, what makes Eddie O so good. He obviously has hockey knowledge, but is unable to articulate or pick up on things with speed. It's remarkable to watch broadcasts with Eddie O because of his incredible ability to break something down that it is only possible to see from a different angle or slowed down. It takes all of 5 seconds after the play for an intelligent breakdown of what just happened. JD had that, Eddie has it. Not many do I suppose. There is almost nothing Micheletti can say in a given night that I couldn't surmise on my own. Truthfully he brings very very little to the table for me--other than telling me that gaborik has been working on his wrist shot in practice

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Orr Nightmare

Joe sucks....JD was great.

We need Kevin Weekes.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?"
Man, we were so spoiled and I had no clue.

Miss JD. No offense to Joe.
He was amazing, and I am still sad he's gone. Not that he has a bad job now...he's got such a smart hockey mind and he really had this friendly demeanor on air that made him so likeable.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Never got to hear him live. But just by watching old clips... JD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

I couldn't agree more, particularly about the staggering number of fans (and, as you said, players) that don't know the tactical side of the sport very well, if at all. I think you're playing down how many people fall into that classification. But I don't think you can blame Joe for his lack of further insight, because as you said, this is a league wide issue. For some reason, the broadcast producers must feel like people are too stupid for it (and maybe they are).

I like Joe, and I understand why he isn't as deep as he probably could be. It's the same thing as watching him and Don Maloney spend 2-3 years trying to analyze the reason why the Rangers are a mediocre mess, while not once showing the willingness to actually discuss the real reasons why the Rangers weren't very good (overpaid role players and a big lack of offensive skill and talent).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Reijo R

I miss JD very much and I'm going to be an absolute basket case when Sam retires one day.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:54 PM
BOO KA BOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
I miss JD very much and I'm going to be an absolute basket case when Sam retires one day.
Maybe one of his kids will take his place! (i vaguely remember him having a son or two that are into broadcasting)

I grew up listening to JD and Sam, miss hearing him on the t.v.

Or maybe I just miss being young and having no responsibilities.

BOO KA BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote