HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Ryan Callahan [3 years, $4.275M per]

Old
07-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't know. It seems pretty damn cut and dry to me; I mean, Torts' loves him, and all you hear from teammates/opposing players is how much they respect him. I have a hard time seeing him NOT named captain.
He will be the captain in my opinion, but I also don't think he should make $5M. Maybe in the last year of the contract, but no two years in this contract should have him making $5M a year, in my opinion. If he does get a contract like this, I wouldn't be mad whatsover, but I would still think he's getting too much.

07-23-2011, 06:39 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
He will be captain, and there is no way his cap hit is 5 mil. I would be shocked if it's over 4.5. I expect something in the 4.3 - 4.5 range.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
YatQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
He will be captain, and there is no way his cap hit is 5 mil. I would be shocked if it's over 4.5. I expect something in the 4.3 - 4.5 range.
I agree...about $200K more than Dubi, if that.

YatQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Lock him up for as long as you can. This kid is everything you want from a hockey player. Hes worn the Rangers sweater with pride and has set an example of consistency for not only the Rangers but the rest of the NHL. His work ethic is second to none, and hell do whatever it takes to win. Any game, any period, any shift. He should be an all-time Ranger. He embodies the teams character better than any other player. He symbolizes the hard working Manhattanite.

Reward that. If he wants a little more than his stats indicate, give it to him anyway. Ryan Callahan is in a very select group of home-grown tenured Rangers i'd happily "overpay" to retain if the term is there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:19 PM
NYRKING30

i hope his contract is not shorter than 5 years..id prefer a 6 year contract after that is when youll have to start carefully watching him because we all know he will not last forever with his style of play.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Lock him up for as long as you can. This kid is everything you want from a hockey player. Hes worn the Rangers sweater with pride and has set an example of consistency for not only the Rangers but the rest of the NHL. His work ethic is second to none, and hell do whatever it takes to win. Any game, any period, any shift. He should be an all-time Ranger. He embodies the teams character better than any other player. He symbolizes the hard working Manhattanite.

Reward that. If he wants a little more than his stats indicate, give it to him anyway. Ryan Callahan is in a very select group of home-grown tenured Rangers i'd happily "overpay" to retain if the term is there.
only negative is his combination of playing style, and size dictate that he's going to be injured, and wear/slow down quicker than other players.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:

Love this post.

For the epitome of an NHL Hockey Player, see: Callahan, Ryan.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:30 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Would a longer deal that guarantees him a large total payout & early bonuses(like BR, Erhoff) lower his cap hit?

Im thinking if Sather offers 10years with the 20mil(or whatever max is legal) in bonuses before next CBA could we lock him up for less?

Maybe 10yrs 40mil ?

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Would a longer deal that guarantees him a large total payout & early bonuses(like BR, Erhoff) lower his cap hit?

Im thinking if Sather offers 10years with the 20mil(or whatever max is legal) in bonuses before next CBA could we lock him up for less?

Maybe 10yrs 40mil ?
that wouldn't be a bad idea.. seems like everybody else is doing that these days.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
that wouldn't be a bad idea.. seems like everybody else is doing that these days.
I don't think a young player like Callahan would want one of these types of contracts. He could easily get a lot better in the future, and his value would go up. Why will he want to be stuck in a contract when he could be making more money?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I don't think a young player like Callahan would want one of these types of contracts. He could easily get a lot better in the future, and his value would go up. Why will he want to be stuck in a contract when he could be making more money?
Because getting 20 million in the next year is very very appealing. And theres a lot of security in that. If injuries start piling up he can be free to retire anytime and not have to worry about it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Other than that, as much as we all love Callahan, you have to admit his future is a bit of a question mark. With the style he plays, he could barely be hitting the 40 game mark during the latter part of that contract, and I don't think Callahan at 35 is going to be worth a $4M cap hit. He's just too reckless a player (in terms of sacrificing his body for the team, not reckless like a Matt Cooke, obviously).

5 years for a $4.2M-$4.5M cap hit is a perfect deal for Callahan. That's roughly the window this team most likely expects to legitimately contend for a cup in, and it locks Callahan up for the majority of his prime.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:

Nothing more to say, very well spoken Sir!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
nyrfan1026

one thing we need to realize is that we are buying out more UFA years, so callahan will get more then dubi.. not to say one is better then the other, they are both great in their own way, but its simple business.
there are two sides to this argument and both bring up valid points, are you willing for a guy with one truly "good" season have a 5 mil cap hit for the next 4-6 years? (i'm assuming on the term based on comparables)
i'd be perfectly fine if he got the exact deal ladd got and i would not consider that overpayment. it also sets a good precedent that if you work hard, the organization will take care of you.
if sather can get this settled before the arb hearing on terms similar or identical to that of ladd then it will wrap up the most dominant offseason of sathers career. i even like the rupp signing though most probably view that as sathers one default stupid offseason signing.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don't prolong this negotiation. Hopefully it gets done by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Bartlett stopped talking to the media on Thursday. No need to have another 11th hour agreement by agreeing to delay the arbitration hearing. So many comparables. Bartlett's client Erik Cole received $4.5M. Dubinsky contract. Ladd contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
only negative is his combination of playing style, and size dictate that he's going to be injured, and wear/slow down quicker than other players.
Well, it certainly makes him more likely to wear down and face recurring injuries than other players. Hardly a certainty though.

I think he's worth the risk.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Adam Graves was another guy who gave 110% all the time. He had to retire at what, 32? It's certainly a question mark.

I'd lock him up for 5 or 6 years. When he's 31/32 we can see where we stand. I don't think he'll be the same player at that point. If I'm Ryan, I try to rack up some dollars now.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Adam Graves was another guy who gave 110% all the time. He had to retire at what, 32? It's certainly a question mark.

I'd lock him up for 5 or 6 years. When he's 31/32 we can see where we stand. I don't think he'll be the same player at that point. If I'm Ryan, I try to rack up some dollars now.
Gravey's lower back was a bullseye for dmen when he posted in front of the net. He took some serious abuse.

I think Ryan's career will definitely surpass Gravey's. Hopefully, anyway.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
“We know each other; If I dump the puck in he’s going to go get it, if he dumps the puck in, he knows I’m gonna go get it. There’s no question of where the other guy’s going to be. We’re battling together, I don’t think either of us is one of the elite talents in the league, I hope he doesn’t get mad at me that I said that, but if we work hard, the talent we have comes out.”
-Dubinsky on his on-ice trust/relationship with Callahan, courtesy of Zipay

Kind of makes it hard to want to split the pack line up after reading this.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Gravey's lower back was a bullseye for dmen when he posted in front of the net. He took some serious abuse.

I think Ryan's career will definitely surpass Gravey's. Hopefully, anyway.
True, to your point forwards don't take the same amount of abuse they did. However, you also have to factor in that forwards didn't block shots like they do now (and esp. like Ryan does).

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Callahan probably has about 5-6 good NHL seasons left before he breaks down like Drury did.

Give him the same deal Dubinsky got, plus one year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post

I think Graves retired at 35. But that's still pretty early for a player of his caliber. We shouldn't worry about the Callahan at 32 because he still can have 5+ years as our captain.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Arthur Staple

Quote:
Now, the Rangers have just one more bit of contract business this week, with Ryan Callahan. His arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday, so contract talks could go down to the wire as they did with Brandon Dubinsky, but expect Callahan to sign a similar deal as Dubinsky did, though for more than the $4.2 million cap hit -- Callahan is a year away from unrestricted free agency, so it will cost more for the Rangers to lock him up long-term.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...9?showAll=true

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

What's taking this greedy ****face so long to sign? We should just trade him while his value is relatively high. In a few years we'll have a ton of guys with more talent that will deserve that money he wants.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
What's taking this greedy ****face so long to sign? We should just trade him while his value is relatively high. In a few years we'll have a ton of guys with more talent that will deserve that money he wants.
Haha, come on man, its business!
I know for sure that when I get offered a job I do not accept the first offer put on the table, do you?

I've seen you post this same post, more or less, atleast two times already.
You need new material, Seinfeld!

Hellion is online now   Reply With Quote