HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

See ya Hopeless Hines

Old
07-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
See ya Hopeless Hines

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, btw take Rudy with you

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:59 AM
zellthemedic

Don't watch local channels/news. Why are we supposed to hate him? Hardly talks about hockey/incorrectly reports hockey?

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:01 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
What a b-day present that'll be!

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
Don't watch local channels/news. Why are we supposed to hate him? Hardly talks about hockey/incorrectly reports hockey?
Is completely ignorant to hockey and doesn't care in the least about the accuracy of his coverage when I'm sure it is forced onto his show...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Jarnberg

To sum him up, he'd usually save the Predators highlight to last or second to last. Then they'd show about one goal from the game and he'd always butcher the guy's name. It was a treat if he got the opposing team right. Then he quickly cut to more Braves or Nascar.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Is completely ignorant about sports and doesn't care in the least about the accuracy of his coverage when I'm sure it is forced onto his show...
FIFY

Oh, and I always liked the nickname "Dope Hines"...but Hopeless works, too.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Hope Hines can’t remember a day in the past three decades
Pretty much sums it up.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:52 PM
irisheyes555

Hopeless Hines

i grew up with this guy(and chris clark). the term "hopeless hines" seems to fit. from other media members who called him this, to lack of anything substantial in reporting, to football and nascar(possible director driven focus). this guys was not even qualified to be a talking head. he was a legacy-face, a.k.a. communist news reader. he never added anything, contributed anything, knew anything(unless it was people in sports-couldn't ask intelligent questions), did anything regarding a story. he was the old fat cat living off the work of others and getting by on his (undeserved)reputation. i for one will be glad to see the new blood.

and before you think i am too harsh. when out-of-town-media-types call you "hopeless hines" i think your reputation proceeds you.

warning: language

Last edited by irisheyes555: 07-24-2011 at 08:57 PM.
irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:45 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
No but want to give props to Joe Dubin who tends to do a pretty decent job covering the Preds. He's @BIGJOEONTHEGO on twitter and will let you know what coverage he's giving the Preds.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
token grinder

He is your typical southern sports fan. All football and Tennessee and loacl sports. And there is nothing wrong with that. The guy is a good guy, and had a nice long run. the guy wasn't a terrible sports anchor, he just didn't get the hockey thing. Whoopteedoo. Takes a big interent tough guy to sit behind a keyboard and take potshots.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Fo Shea Shea

He was the guest speaker at my college graduation. Nice guy, great story teller, and was very entertaining. I have had to opportunity to get in with some of the local media and he is you like him or can't stand him kind of personality. From the feeling I get, there are a lot more of the can't stand him these days. None the less, the guy has been around for a long time and has been successful at his job for a reason. Wish him the best. Now bring back Mark Howard. (There is a face for HD!)

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
He is your typical southern sports fan. All football and Tennessee and loacl sports. And there is nothing wrong with that. The guy is a good guy, and had a nice long run. the guy wasn't a terrible sports anchor, he just didn't get the hockey thing. Whoopteedoo. Takes a big interent tough guy to sit behind a keyboard and take potshots.
gotta disagree here. he is a paid TV sports broadcaster, not some random sports fan. Its his chosen profession. The predators are one of only two major sports in town. If he didnt "get" hockey, as a professional, he should have educated himself so he could at least speak knowledgably about the subject.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
gotta disagree here. he is a paid TV sports broadcaster, not some random sports fan. Its his chosen profession. The predators are one of only two major sports in town. If he didnt "get" hockey, as a professional, he should have educated himself so he could at least speak knowledgably about the subject.
Nice standing 8 count post

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you sleeping with Hope?

Calm down, just kidding you...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 07-25-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Don't go there...
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I disagree. You're paid to cover sports in a town with only two pro teams. You may not like hockey, you may not care about it, but you damn sure need to try. Hines made it clear, from the start, that not only did he know nothing about hockey, he had no desire to change that. Maybe to you that's just Hope being Hope, but to me it's unacceptable. If my company purchases a new software, but I'm perfectly comfortable and happy with the old software, can I just choose not to learn it or familiarize myself with it? No. I'd be fired.

He may be a Nashville institution, but to me, he's an unprofessional hack. You can call me an 'internet tough guy' for that, but believe me, I'd repeat those exact words to him, you, or anyone else.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:55 AM
token grinder

Please don't take away that I watch channel 5 sports, or agree with how they handle the preds.

My point was I think it incredibly juvinile and foolish to just bombard the guy. If he sucked, he wouldn't have held his post that long. He knew what his audience was-football loving joes, and catered to them. Smart move imo.

Other thing to consider, maybe he doesn't view hockey as a major sport. We all know it is, but to him it isn't. and if he is calling the shots for his station, the stories he chooses reflects that. Hockey is still growing here, but if you think it comes before NFL, college football, mlb, and nascar to the average fan sports fan, I think it is a naive thought. NHL may be closing in on nascar here, and I think another decent run may push it past there and mlb. but right now it isn't there, and until there is demand for it, you will keep seeing what you see.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:19 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
In the local media business, just being around long enough is often enough of a qualification to keep your job, especially as most news watching decisions are based on the totality of the news coverage and the news anchors and rarely specifically on sports. So if he was truly deficient, it wouldn't necessarily be apparent.

So from that perspective, I don't think his longevity is true support for his quality. But I say that as someone who doesn't feel he was good at his job. Like Biddle is to the Tennessean, I think he doesn't add value to the broadcast that couldn't be added by a 28-year old former small town weather girl who just reads from the teleprompter. I prefer more intelligent thought mixed in with my sports, and he just doesn't provide that. Oddly enough, I hate intelligent thought when it comes to the real news though as I find it politically tinged.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
roseyc

I disagree as well if you are a sports anchor and head of the sports department and to not acknownledge that one of the few major sports teams in the market and you completely ignore the sport is shameful and unprofessional. They give credence to the OVC basketball which is not the top basketball conference in the market but if a Murray State or Austin Peay has a decent run they cover like they been fans all along because the fans of those teams demand coverage The Preds may have not been the top draw in the beginning but they did draw the eqivalent of Vandy Football and have grown beyond that to beyond the draw of Vandy basketball and now I would put them third in interest behind the Titans and Tenn Football. Hope never brought in a hockey expert to help him learn about this growing sport in your market and to put them as the eqivalency along with the Sounds is ignorant. So with Hope leaving and the Preds winning their first playoff series channel 5 should bring an anchor in that not only understands the game but identifies and finally come aboard and be a professional journalist.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:19 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Or at least go over his script so that he would not have to ask, ON AIR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STORY, how to pronounce a guy's name.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote