HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Partying prompted parting?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2011, 05:18 AM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Partying prompted parting?

Quote:
The two unnamed players said that the Flyers front office was disappointed in Carter and Richards' longstanding party lifestyle and that teammates were concerned about the pair's drinking.
http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...an_Gross_.html

Really? It's the damned gossip columnist with the story?

So, it seems there were indeed divisions in the room. The partying going on must have been legendary if Lavy was having people taking pledges not to drink for months at a time. I have a feeling 24/7 with Richie and Carter would have been an amazing watch.

Any thoughts as to who the two players giving dirt to the freaking gossip columnist are?

Old
07-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Clearly Pronger

When it's written like that, then it generally means

"two unnamed players, playing for delaware pee-wee hockey said that....."

Lol at a drinking pledge. Seriously, how were there not 23 names on that board.

Old
07-25-2011, 05:41 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Clearly Pronger

When it's written like that, then it generally means

"two unnamed players, playing for delaware pee-wee hockey said that....."

Lol at a drinking pledge. Seriously, how were there not 23 names on that board.
Clearly the players are actual Flyers since they spilled the beans on all that "Dry Island" absurdity.

What kills me is that per the report this is something that happened 6 times. That's asking 6 months of not drinking from a bunch of single millionaires in their mid 20's. That's nearly half of Lavy's entire in-season tenure as Flyers coach. How freaking bad was the partying?

Old
07-25-2011, 05:49 AM
dookie88

The funny part about this is, that all the Carter and Richards haters will come out in no time to say "well we told you so blablabla", while the real problem is the two gutless punks who are probably still with the team who would give something like this to the media.

I don't know if this is a usual disciplinary technique or what but it's sounds pretty stupid of Lavy to do this.

Old
07-25-2011, 06:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The more and more the pieces are coming together, the more and more this seems like there was a rift between Richards/Carter and not only Laviolette but the other guys in the locker room as well, and I'm thinking almost everyone in the locker room.

Shame on whatever players did bring inner locker room discussions outside. What happens in the locker room should stay there. Period.

That said, more shame on this writer for putting this out a month later.

If you need to write an article, spin the article in a different direction. This borders on tabloid/slanderous material.

Old
07-25-2011, 06:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bummer.

Old
07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The more and more the pieces are coming together, the more and more this seems like there was a rift between Richards/Carter and not only Laviolette but the other guys in the locker room as well, and I'm thinking almost everyone in the locker room.

Shame on whatever players did bring inner locker room discussions outside. What happens in the locker room should stay there. Period.

That said, more shame on this writer for putting this out a month later.

If you need to write an article, spin the article in a different direction. This borders on tabloid/slanderous material.
It's the freaking gossip columnist. It's what he does.

Old
07-25-2011, 06:46 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Clearly the players are actual Flyers since they spilled the beans on all that "Dry Island" absurdity.

What kills me is that per the report this is something that happened 6 times. That's asking 6 months of not drinking from a bunch of single millionaires in their mid 20's. That's nearly half of Lavy's entire in-season tenure as Flyers coach. How freaking bad was the partying?
Well these rumors of a rift have lasted for years (where practice was held, etc?) By process of elimination, that leaves few players given the current roster. Briere and Timonen are "vets". Hartnell, Coburn and Carle are younger but have been on the team and Hartnell lives in Olde City (I believe).

Old
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
JVR21
G

Dry island? What kind of policy is that? I could understand no drinking the night before or on game days, but a month of no drinking is simply unnecessary. Regardless, the article sounds at least half ******** to me.

Old
07-25-2011, 07:02 AM
xifentoozlerix

The one thing I have seen which was pretty egregious is the way Richards supposedly disrespected the staff within the organization. Everyone can understand Carter being moved for on-ice reasons, but the only thing that could get Richards moved is stuff like that being true.

I still love the guy, though. Hopefully things ends up working out better for him. Carter too.

Old
07-25-2011, 07:24 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Well these rumors of a rift have lasted for years (where practice was held, etc?) By process of elimination, that leaves few players given the current roster. Briere and Timonen are "vets". Hartnell, Coburn and Carle are younger but have been on the team and Hartnell lives in Olde City (I believe).
I don't think you can make that presumption. A rift could have started in prior seasons, but that doesn't mean that newcomers couldn't get involved in it. Anybody on the team could be one of those two players.

I agree that Hartnell is probably unlikely, and I'd hope that Kimmo wouldn't be going around like that. He's said enough vaguely with his name attached that I don't think he'd go airing the team's dirty laundry to a guy who isn't even a sports writer.

Old
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Dry island? What kind of policy is that? I could understand no drinking the night before or on game days, but a month of no drinking is simply unnecessary. Regardless, the article sounds at least half ******** to me.
Well, if the partying really was out of control, either affecting performance on ice or seriously risking difficult situation off ice, Dry Island -policy could be seen as necessity to break the habit.

Regarding locker room dynamics, I think such a policy is quite interesting, although risky. In a sense the coach formally asks the players to make a sacrifice for the team, sacrifice that clearly some players (not definitely Carter and Richards, but some as confirmed by Holmgren in the article) did not make the commitment. I can easily see such a decision cause tensity between the players.

Also keep in mind that this isn't actually about whether those players drank or not, but about their decision not to formally commit to that beforehand.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Really. Hockey players generally play 3 times a week. In-between those games they are almost always training. These guys are paid millions of dollars to be responsible athletes.

Is it really that strange to think that they shouldn't be drinking through the season. Makes you wonder how bad it was for them to bring in the policy in the first place. I've never heard of a team doing this ever. If you can't go a month without drinking, then you have a problem.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I don't think that policy is so absurd frankly. But in all honesty, it could be any 2 players, it doesn't specify if they're current or former. For all we know it was Carcillo and Asham. Hell, or in an ultimate troll move, maybe it was Carter and Richards themselves!

Old
07-25-2011, 08:17 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I don't think that policy is so absurd frankly. But in all honesty, it could be any 2 players, it doesn't specify if they're current or former. For all we know it was Carcillo and Asham. Hell, or in an ultimate troll move, maybe it was Carter and Richards themselves!
For 5.00m a year I can hold off until the offseason to do my partying quite frankly.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:17 AM
MrHockey1982

It says, "two flyers that played with the pair last season." To me, that means that these two players aren't with the team anymore and were traded. Why would a current player drop this about the locker room if he were still part of the team?

Old
07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
For 5.00m a year I can hold off until the offseason to do my partying quite frankly.
Dude I've gone 24 years for free haha, never touched the stuff. For $5M, I might just start!

Old
07-25-2011, 08:18 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
It says, "two flyers that played with the pair last season." To me, that means that these two players aren't with the team anymore and were traded. Why would a current player drop this about the locker room if he were still part of the team?
Good point.

So who left after the 2010 playoffs?

Old
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I don't know if you can make that presumption either. Your line of thinking would give me some hope. I'd rather the team not feature two guys who'd run to a gossip columnist to dish dirt on the team.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:26 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Good point.

So who left after the 2010 playoffs?
Richards. Carter.

But seriously.

I don't think Zherdev would bother with trying to speak English to a reporter. I think Carbomb's been in some of the party photos, which would seem to exclude him.

OD? Veteran guy that might have been pissed, definitely would have sided with the Pronger faction, but I would suppose he'd know better than to air that **** out, even if he wasn't going to be on the team anymore.

Powe?

Boucher? He has a history of this sort of thing, if anyone can remember the year he participated in the public execution of Bill Barber.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:32 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Richards. Carter.

But seriously.

I don't think Zherdev would bother with trying to speak English to a reporter. I think Carbomb's been in some of the party photos, which would seem to exclude him.

OD? Veteran guy that might have been pissed, definitely would have sided with the Pronger faction, but I would suppose he'd know better than to air that **** out, even if he wasn't going to be on the team anymore.

Powe?

Boucher? He has a history of this sort of thing, if anyone can remember the year he participated in the public execution of Bill Barber.
Parent, Krajicek, Emery, Gagne, Asham, Syvret, Pyorala, Tollefsen, Cote?

Old
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Richards. Carter.

But seriously.

Powe?

I have a feeling one of them is Boucher...good call.

This is not all that surprising considering the rumblings from Renegade and the Dobberhockey guy (don't remember the actual name) . It was obviously an issue but I doubt one of the main reasons they were traded. Again there's a host of reasons and many were mentioned by the two sources who have since been gagged or gone underground.

The funny part is when Holmgren starts using hyperbole and feigned outrage in denying the accusation. Clarke used to do the same thing when denying a trade or during the Lindros soap opera. They are just very bad at trying to keep things under wraps. They should just learn to kill it by silence instead of feeding into it and making it obvious it was an issue...

Old
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Parent, Krajicek, Emery, Gagne, Asham, Syvret, Pyorala, Tollefsen, Cote?
I'm taking the "last season" thing as meaning the 2010-2011 season. So, all of those guys are clear.

Leino's another possibility.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I'm taking the "last season" thing as meaning the 2010-2011 season. So, all of those guys are clear.

Leino's another possibility.
I think we've ID'd the leakers.....Leino seems like the other one but who knows.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:06 AM
MrHockey1982

Another thing to think about, imagine HBO showing this no-drinking policy. How embarrassing would that be for the Flyers?

Closed Thread