HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards: Partying Prompted Parting?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
jimmy1100

vCash: 500
So let me get this straight - some PHI people think that they made their locker room stronger by moving Carter/Richards due to their partying ways and yet they still have two players who choose to remain anonymous talking about private locker room things?!?

Sounds like if that WAS the reason, they didn't move the right guys.

Let's see, two players who party and STILL perform on the ice versus two players who hide in the shadows and divulge information to journalists that is supposed to be private locker room stuff?

Hmmm....

Old
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Kingjordan

I don't understand something.. If a player like Richards was such a party person and was not doing what was best for his teams. Why was he asked to be the Captain or is the Captain?

Old
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM
KingNick07

Yeah I would laugh at this "Dry Island" thing too..

Old
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

If the Kings get to Game 6 in SCF with Mike Richards, they can fill his water bottle with Old English for all I care.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
cyclones22

In the end, it all boils down to whether or not you trust DL. This is a guy who held onto his valuable chips until he got exactly what he wanted. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Dean rushed into this without due dilligence. The guy can overanalyze to a fault and he trades his most valuable chip not knowing what he needs to know about Richards?

Which sounds more probable, that internet message board posters know more about Mike Richards exploits or that Dean might have some trustworthy contacts left in Philly? C'mon now. I'm quite sure that Dean and others in the Kings FO have internet access...like Dean is reading that link and thinking "Guys, did you know about this? We just traded for a locker room cancer and possible alcholic?! Can we call the Commissioner for some possible compensation?". Right. I'm going with Dean's judgement on this one.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
bobafettish*

So is DL going to ask for some sort of compensation....

Old
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Everyone knows that hockey players drink and that's fine. But clearly there was a power struggle in the room and even though I will miss Richards, Pronger was the real leader of the team. I'm sure you Kings fans hate Pronger but he's awesome to have on your team. Anyways, I just thought I'd pass the story along.
Its all interesting to me.

I would say that while Pronger seems to be a great guy to have on your team he sure seems to be responsible for causing nothing but havoc wherever he goes and in the end leaves after causing allot of damage.

In this case if MR and JC were even a little out of control with their partying which might be true though remains unproven (it is allot like Doughty/Simmonds rumored partying which sure appears to have been) then hopefully this deal should be good for each of their respective careers.

Phi is taking its own risk with Simmonds who was also notorious for being a partier so the risk reward ratios seem to be fine with me.

Last edited by etherialone: 07-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
(it is allot like Doughty/Simmonds rumored partying which is a case of smoke meeting fire)
My daddy told me that 'smoke' was not a nice word to call black people.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:21 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
My daddy told me that 'smoke' was not a nice word to call black people.
OH! I didn't even think of that. Im gonna change it.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
OH! I didn't even think of that. Im gonna change it.
LOL! I'm kidding. I love that you wrote it and am glad it will stay in my quote if you insist on changing it!

Old
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
MxK1NGS

Seems like Philly's media is easing the pain for Flyers fans? Trying to make it seem like the won the deals.. lol.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

The Richards and Carter trades were certainly not Holmgren's idea. He was almost in tears discussing them, his telling comment being "I think the world of those two players".

Does that sound like a GM concerned about an alleged "drinking problem"?

Snider told him to make those trades, primarily because of the rift between Pronger and some of the younger players. The message was "Pronger's the leader, and the rest of you ignore that fact at your peril".

Old
07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
The Richards and Carter trades were certainly not Holmgren's idea. He was almost in tears discussing them, his telling comment being "I think the world of those two players".

Does that sound like a GM concerned about an alleged "drinking problem"?

Snider told him to make those trades, primarily because of the rift between Pronger and some of the younger players. The message was "Pronger's the leader, and the rest of you ignore that fact at your peril".
Didn't he also say it is what it is?

Sounds like Snider led the way on the deals and Holmgren just followed, regardless of what it'd do to the team itself.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Didn't he also say it is what it is?

Sounds like Snider led the way on the deals and Holmgren just followed, regardless of what it'd do to the team itself.
I don't know what it's like where you work, but when the guy who signs my checks tells me to do something that I think is a bad idea, I comply, after trying to talk him out of it fails.

Pretty sure it's the same situation with Snider and Holmgren.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
Seems like Philly's media is easing the pain for Flyers fans? Trying to make it seem like the won the deals.. lol.
They may have. Schenn, Voracek and Couterier(sp?) could very easily make up half of their top 6 in a few years. And we all know Simmonds is a nice player to have.

They won't know how they did on these deals for a few years. LA and CBJ however, made these deals looking for immediate results.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...an_Gross_.html

Thought you guys might want to know this. I loved having him on the team regardless of what happened and wish you luck with him.
That has to be one of the worst pieces of wanna-journalism I have ever read in my life.

Translation: I don't know jack ***** but I'm ******** so I am going to paint Carter/Richie in a negative light.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
tantrum4*

Listen, I live in Kelowna BC which is home to a TON of young NHL players during the summer. I see them all out drinking, partying, falling down, and picking up chicks at all the bars around town. If everyone is worried about a couple players from the Flyers drinking, maybe Montreal, Nashville, Anaheim, Washington, Buffalo, Minnesota, Chicago, New York, and yes, even Los Angeles, also need to trade some of their players away because I've seen guys from each of those teams have more than a "few" drinks at one sitting.

Unless they are drinking before or during a game, it's no big deal.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post

Exactly. The real problem here is these 50+ yr old "journalists" are putting "partying" all under one umbrella. Yeah there are a lot of pics of Richards out there....

in a bar
laughing with his friends and women

Kind of like everyone with a normal social life (esp. when single).

Old
07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

To me it all falls down again to the one common denominator who is Chris Pronger. Everywhere he goes there is some major drama and the team is damaged. Personally having met Chris Pronger a few times once with his kid I will just say that he seems to be very familiar with himself and has a very high opinion of his own self worth but that is my opinion of him. On the ice he has been one of the top Dmen in the league but then that is only part of the story.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Omni Owl

I mean as long as the partying isn't effecting his on ice performance, I see no reason to worry. I'm more concerned about him being susceptible to injury due to his style of play...

Old
07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Listen, I live in Kelowna BC which is home to a TON of young NHL players during the summer. I see them all out drinking, partying, falling down, and picking up chicks at all the bars around town. If everyone is worried about a couple players from the Flyers drinking, maybe Montreal, Nashville, Anaheim, Washington, Buffalo, Minnesota, Chicago, New York, and yes, even Los Angeles, also need to trade some of their players away because I've seen guys from each of those teams have more than a "few" drinks at one sitting.

Oh give us some stories dude!

Old
07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Johnny Utah

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2011/07...ff-carter.html

Old
07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
jml87

Philly media at its best again.

You know what other team were known as partying and drinking machines? The 1970s Broad Street Bullies. The guys who won the only two championships in Flyers history.

No, this trade happened because Snider was embarrassed by getting crushed by the Bruins and thought disassembling the team was his only option. There's a reason that man hasn't brought Philly a Cup in 35 years.

Old
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

The Philly media is trying to put lipstick on a pig with this stuff.

The Flyers organization has made a lot of their fans uneasy, to put it mildly, after all the guys they gave up this summer. There's no getting around it, it's going to take time to put the pieces of the Flyers back together.

A professional hockey player in his mid-20s earning big dollars and traveling from big city to big city cannot be expected to live like a Tibetan monk. Wake me up when Richards demonstrates subpar fitness or is hated by his teammates, otherwise I consider this pretty much a non-story.

Old
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
no name

What I got from this column was that the only thing that can be substantiated was Homgren talking positive about the players and discrediting everything the would be bean spiller says. If you even belive there really is a bean spiller.

Closed Thread