Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
People forget, stat wise last season was the second best of his career, 2007 being the best. The guy threw 36 TD's with only 4 INT's.

It's not his wife or his hair. The Pats need a REAL offensive coordinator, not some guy that was holding tackling dummies the year before. Wouldn't hurt if they had a RB who could average more than 1.5 yards per carry.
Hell I'd even go as far as saying last year was better than 2007. Look at his receivers last year, and compare them to 2007. Randy Moss had a career defining year in 2007. You'll never see 23 TD's in a season from a WR ever again IMO. Brady had to go back to a more traditional Patriot game plan with screens and short passes to Gronk, Woodhead, and Welker with Hernandez, and Tate to an extent, being the downfield guys, and put up those kind of numbers?

As for your OC comment, I completely agree. BB really needs to get someone who can run an offensive.

The one comment I don't agree with is RB. Did you not watch BJGE last year? He had a great year. Over 1000 yds, averaging 4.4 Yds/C. Woodhead with 550 yards for 5.6 Yds/C. Their running game is solid.

I also really don't get the Mankins hate. The guy got absolutely screwed by the system in place on his deal length and UFA/RFA status. He's a good player and deserves to be paid. Yes the system is what screwed him, but when everyone in your draft block gets their deals redone before they hit RFA status, and you're superior to all of them, at a key position, he deserves to be pissed. If anything be mad at Kraft for publicly humiliating him demanding he publicly apologize. This isn't ****ing Kindergarten.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Hell I'd even go as far as saying last year was better than 2007. Look at his receivers last year, and compare them to 2007. Randy Moss had a career defining year in 2007. You'll never see 23 TD's in a season from a WR ever again IMO. Brady had to go back to a more traditional Patriot game plan with screens and short passes to Gronk, Woodhead, and Welker with Hernandez, and Tate to an extent, being the downfield guys, and put up those kind of numbers?

As for your OC comment, I completely agree. BB really needs to get someone who can run an offensive.

The one comment I don't agree with is RB. Did you not watch BJGE last year? He had a great year. Over 1000 yds, averaging 4.4 Yds/C. Woodhead with 550 yards for 5.6 Yds/C. Their running game is solid.

I also really don't get the Mankins hate. The guy got absolutely screwed by the system in place on his deal length and UFA/RFA status. He's a good player and deserves to be paid. Yes the system is what screwed him, but when everyone in your draft block gets their deals redone before they hit RFA status, and you're superior to all of them, at a key position, he deserves to be pissed. If anything be mad at Kraft for publicly humiliating him demanding he publicly apologize. This isn't ****ing Kindergarten.
Good catch, I completely forgot about BJGE. My bad.

Now that I have refreshed my memory. I kind of still feel the same way...about needing a better running game. BJGE had a tremendous year, but I don't think anyone really fears him or game plans to stop him. He's a nice option to move the ball and eat up the clock...which is great. I guess my point is, I'd like to see the Pats have a three down back that could gash teams for huge chunks of yards. I was really hoping they'd take a flyer on Marshawn Lynch last year. He would have been a nice compliment to BJGE and left Woodhead fresh for passing downs and 3rd down situations.

As for Mankins, I don't get it either. He came in and played his arse off which shows a character. I think fans sometimes forget there is a business side of things and while these guys make good money, their careers are relatively short.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Good catch, I completely forgot about BJGE. My bad.

Now that I have refreshed my memory. I kind of still feel the same way...about needing a better running game. BJGE had a tremendous year, but I don't think anyone really fears him or game plans to stop him. He's a nice option to move the ball and eat up the clock...which is great. I guess my point is, I'd like to see the Pats have a three down back that could gash teams for huge chunks of yards. I was really hoping they'd take a flyer on Marshawn Lynch last year. He would have been a nice compliment to BJGE and left Woodhead fresh for passing downs and 3rd down situations.
I see what you're getting at a bit here. We need to realize that the Pats are a pass first team, hence why I do think BJGE does work well in their system.

I really don't think a premiere back would fit well with how their offense is set up right now. Especially since they use their 2 TE sets as passing options not blockers more often than not.

As always, this team is going to live and die with its defense. It'll be interesting to see if Bodden can come back healthy this year and play like he did in 2009. a Bodden/McCourty tandem would be solid. They still lack a premiere pass rusher, and that is still my biggest concern.

Mankins sat out, came back and immediately gave credibility to that O-Line. He's a top guard in the league, and deserves to be paid like one, especially since this will most likely be the only big contract he gets in his career.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Alicat
Charge!

MVP or not I still think he lacks focus at times..

What is Law Firm's status, contract wise?

As much as Mankins pisses me off, just pay the guy. Imagine he, Vollmer and Solder for the other team.

I want to see how they handle Kevin Faulk. I believe he is 100% but the stability of his knee concerns me.

They need a taller WR so it will be interesting to see who's available and if that is one of their target areas.

I can't wait to see what Hernandez and Gronk do this season along with Woodhead.

Julian Edelman, do you move him to special teams and have him run the wildcat if they ever run it?

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
stick9

Quote:
Aly, I just find it extremely hard to believe that (a) Tom Brady isn't focused and (b) it's related to his personal life.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Aly, I just find it extremely hard to believe that (a) Tom Brady isn't focused and (b) it's related to his personal life.
I have to agree. It's "sexy" to point the finger at his supermodel wife and Hollywood lifestyle, but the dude is a world class athlete. Every bone in his body is competitive. I don't think his life off the field is influencing what happens on it, but if it it and he wants to repeat last year's performance, have at it.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
At some points during games he's seemed a bit off so maybe I'm mistaking it for lack of focus when it is something completely different. What he did last year was vintage Tom there's no denying it but you can still have some wobbly moments.

Seamless,
We'll just have to see gameday who gets the last laugh but Brady is better than Manning

Old
07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
At some points during games he's seemed a bit off so maybe I'm mistaking it for lack of focus when it is something completely different. What he did last year was vintage Tom there's no denying it but you can still have some wobbly moments.

Seamless,
We'll just have to see gameday who gets the last laugh but Brady is better than Manning
Let's just say I wouldn't want to bet my life on Eli's performance. The thing with Eli is simple if he doesn't think about what he's doing and just plays he's fine. He just complicates things sometimes. I'd be the first to give the edge to Brady in that matchup. But let me ask you this if Brady has an Eli type day do the Pats don't win? Giants could still win with a mediocre Eli. That's the difference.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
BritishBruin

Got to say, after watching the announcement I've got a new found respect for Jeff Saturday. **** the Colts an' all, but what he said about Bob & Myra Kraft was very touching. Spoken like a true gent

Old
07-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseSeguin View Post
Got to say, after watching the announcement I've got a new found respect for Jeff Saturday. **** the Colts an' all, but what he said about Bob & Myra Kraft was very touching. Spoken like a true gent

I just saw that segment on the news. Very touching. You could tell Kraft was very emotional.

Old
07-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Mione134

Hearing Herzlich has offers from Ravens, Giants and Eagles...

What the hell Pats. Sign him!

Old
07-26-2011, 09:19 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

What is Law Firm's status, contract wise?

As much as Mankins pisses me off, just pay the guy. Imagine he, Vollmer and Solder for the other team.

I want to see how they handle Kevin Faulk. I believe he is 100% but the stability of his knee concerns me.

They need a taller WR so it will be interesting to see who's available and if that is one of their target areas.

I can't wait to see what Hernandez and Gronk do this season along with Woodhead.

Julian Edelman, do you move him to special teams and have him run the wildcat if they ever run it?
Signing Mankins should be priority one, two, three, and four. They can't let a dominant player like that leave. The future of this possible game changing O-line literally hangs in the balance. It's time to put hurt feelings, and required apologies aside and do what's best for the future of this franchise.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Mione134

Bummer. Mark signed with the Giants.

Best of luck to him.

I like the Jeff Tarpinian signing. Dude hits like a bull.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Hearing Herzlich has offers from Ravens, Giants and Eagles...

What the hell Pats. Sign him!
If Herzlich was completely healthy and coming off a great senior season... The Pats still wouldn't be interested.

He's just not a 3-4 linebacker.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Mione134

^ I doubt that. Heard they were interested in him. Long before the draft. Thought he could be converted. But I guess they felt after when he didnt get picked, they'd move on and find someone else.

Wish he was a Pat, I know a lot of insiders were rooting for him, especially on twitter. He'll help the Giants immensely.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Banta-Cain will be released on Thursday.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Banta-Cain will be released on Thursday.
From the team or the hospital?

Old
07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
From the team or the hospital?
Team. BB isn't messing around I guess.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Team. BB isn't messing around I guess.
Weird. I thought there was a rule about releasing injured players? Or maybe that's just players on IR. So now the question is who do they bring in to fill that hole? A team without a lot of pass rushers releasing one of their better rushers (which is pretty pathetic to say, FWIW) better be ready to make a move through FA to fill that spot...

Old
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Weird. I thought there was a rule about releasing injured players? Or maybe that's just players on IR. So now the question is who do they bring in to fill that hole? A team without a lot of pass rushers releasing one of their better rushers (which is pretty pathetic to say, FWIW) better be ready to make a move through FA to fill that spot...
BB always has a plan so we shall see. Last I had heard was Chris Roth of the Browns who's good when playing the 3-4 or so says my friend who's a Browns fan.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Banta-Cain was barely hanging onto a roster spot as it was, and the injury which will cost him all of training camp(and the new CBA has limited what coaches can run for practices) makes him basically useless and taking a roster spot someone else could be using.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I just saw on twitter that they could release Banta-Cain and resign him after for cheaper $$.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Schefter reporting that Mankins will sign his one-year tender and report. This is huge.

Dallas also released Marion Barber, he'd be a guy to look into, though I think we can get by with BJGE, Woodhead, and Faulk.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Gruntfuttock

Quote:
BB always has a plan so we shall see. Last I had heard was Chris Roth of the Browns who's good when playing the 3-4 or so says my friend who's a Browns fan.
That would be Matt Roth. And yeah, he was pretty damn good for the Browns last year and is a typical 3-4 guy. Really physical with a never quit attitude. When the Browns hired Jauron, Roth said he wants to play in a 3-4 scheme where he doesn't have to think too much.

Closed Thread