HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If I have to read "Barbara Underhill's" name one more time....

Old
07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
NYROrtsFan

vCash: 500
I don't think Boyle had a lucky first half in any way... Boyle talked about it in that piece above where he basically made the mental decision that he had to find ways to get better. Sometimes players at any level just go out there to be out there. THey aren't necessarily out there figuring out every possible way to get better. He made that decision and took the skating very seriously. He realized he had to take it serious because his spot in the league relied on it.

Last year it was pretty clear what he was... He has a VERY good wrist shot. His improved skating he even said gave him more control in other areas of the ice which allows him to do.

It's about imposing your will on the game and Boyle decided to do that. It's impossible to know what turns on that switch with a player, just that sometimes it does turn on. Even though he didn't put up the same numbers in the 2nd half, he was still doing a lot of great things for the team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
First Del Zotto not having success last year doesn't discredit Gary Robert's training regimen. It's a strength and conditioning thing of course it's not going to improve his defensive awareness. Stamkos wasn't nearly as strong in his rookie season and it was a combination of hard work and feeling more comfortable in the NHL sure.

That's not the point. The point is people automatically assumed Del Zotto was going to have a stellar season because he worked out with Roberts, when in reality it had little barring on the actual outcome.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
That's not the point. The point is people automatically assumed Del Zotto was going to have a stellar season because he worked out with Roberts, when in reality it had little barring on the actual outcome.
agreed. NOBODY is denying Underhill helped Boyle...everyone simply assumes shes going to turn every piece of coal into a diamond now. Thats what annoys the hell outta me. im sure she will help some...but im not A)convinced she will help everyone all that much B)convinced that Boyles first half was anything other than a very lucky streak and that the Boyle we saw the 2nd half is more like what we'll see going forward.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
agreed. NOBODY is denying Underhill helped Boyle...everyone simply assumes shes going to turn every piece of coal into a diamond now. Thats what annoys the hell outta me. im sure she will help some...but im not A)convinced she will help everyone all that much B)convinced that Boyles first half was anything other than a very lucky streak and that the Boyle we saw the 2nd half is more like what we'll see going forward.
I think this is a classic example of board members taking the minority, extreme opinion, and assuming it's more widely believed/held by the majority of fans, when it's not....

Fans, overall, are pleased to learn about the players focusing on their skating in this manner, because its hows a commitment by the aforementioned players to improve an area of the game the players do actually have influence over (as opposed to hockey sense or IQ or something along those lines). Skating is key with the type of game plan that Tortorella runs, and to see so many players focusing on their skating in the last 2 years, tells me that the players want to buy into his style of play, and want to try to maximize their effectiveness under that type of game plan. May also tell me that what Boyle has undergone is rubbing off on or influencing his teammates and who may be eager to try and achieve similar results, which is also a positive...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
That's all well and good, but at this point, both sides are arguing a point with a very small sample size available as evidence.

In my opinion, the Boyle's biggest downfall as a player has always been his skating. He always looked like you plucked a guy off the Giants or Jets roster and put him on skates. "Good skater for a guy his size" certainly isn't synonymous with "good skater" and that's exactly what people said about him. Improving that part of his game has undoubtedly influenced his game in a positive way, and while he may have gotten lucky, he also became a much better hockey player because of his skating.

People also often over look the fact that one of the reasons he slowed down in the second half was that while he's in his mid twenties, that was the most hockey he's ever played at the NHL level. In 09-10, he was averaging 8 minutes per game. Last year he doubled that. It's a major adjustment for anyone, not just 20 year old rookies.

Do I think Underhill is responsible for all of Boyle's success? No, of course not. He's always been a skilled player. However, skating is such an important part of the game that I have no doubt that working with her helped Boyle take his game to the next level. Will it do the same for MZA, MDZ, and Wolski? It of course remains to be seen, but I'm remaining optimistic.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:33 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

hahaha more more more more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a huge proponent of what she's doing for the guys, but I kind of agree with you.

Mostly, though, I just like it when people get angry.

Blobara Underwear in 2012

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I think what she did with Boyle and players in the past was great, but I agree that she gets WAY too much publicity.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:57 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

If it addresses a weakness in a player, I don't see why anyone would criticize the process of skate training.

I don't think anyone is implying Barb is going to save Wolski's career. They are hoping that it will (in theory) improve on his weak skating that is a negative factor to his game. Anyone with sense knows that Wolski won't turn into a 70 point player, but if skating training contributes to him returning to 55 points while improving in other areas of the ice it was a success.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I honestly don't care how many hits Boyle has. He dies not truly hit, he shoves. Prucha hit harder than Boyle, and I am not exaggerating. He should learn to drive through the guy he hits.

Same for shots. He does not shoot, he just flips the puck towards the net.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I think this is a classic example of board members taking the minority, extreme opinion, and assuming it's more widely believed/held by the majority of fans, when it's not....

Fans, overall, are pleased to learn about the players focusing on their skating in this manner, because its hows a commitment by the aforementioned players to improve an area of the game the players do actually have influence over (as opposed to hockey sense or IQ or something along those lines). Skating is key with the type of game plan that Tortorella runs, and to see so many players focusing on their skating in the last 2 years, tells me that the players want to buy into his style of play, and want to try to maximize their effectiveness under that type of game plan. May also tell me that what Boyle has undergone is rubbing off on or influencing his teammates and who may be eager to try and achieve similar results, which is also a positive...
Pretty much. I don't see anyone that thinks Barb is going to turn every piece of **** to diamonds.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill, Barbara Underhill.......

Staals Eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
Anyone with sense knows that Wolski won't turn into a 70 point player
He had 65 two years ago, are you so sure this is impossible?

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Do I think she's a magic worker? No.

Boyle himself said the game came to him and he understood it but skating never came naturally. It's something he needed a little extra help with. You were right initially when you said he was more confident and that is what really helped him but that confidence came from his improved skating. Knowing he could make a turn or accelerate quicker into open space and get better scoring chances.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
E Nixson