HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Ryan Callahan [3 years, $4.275M per]

Old
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
5 years, 4.5 million cap hit per year. Get it done.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Haha, come on man, its business!
I know for sure that when I get offered a job I do not accept the first offer put on the table, do you?

I've seen you post this same post, more or less, atleast two times already.
You need new material, Seinfeld!
Yeah I posted basically the same thing in the basic arbitration thread but it got locked quickly afterwards so I figured I'd tweak it and repost it here.

It's definitely not serious, it's supposed to make people realize how stupid they are for thinking that way about anyone since they think it's absurd to think that way about callahan. I never blame any of these guys for trying to get their first big contracts. They'd be stupid/irresponsible not to. It'd just be nice if fans could put themselves in their places for a second before they draw all these negative conclusions about a guys character.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Yeah I posted basically the same thing in the basic arbitration thread but it got locked quickly afterwards so I figured I'd tweak it and repost it here.

It's definitely not serious, it's supposed to make people realize how stupid they are for thinking that way about anyone since they think it's absurd to think that way about callahan. I never blame any of these guys for trying to get their first big contracts. They'd be stupid/irresponsible not to. It'd just be nice if fans could put themselves in their places for a second before they draw all these negative conclusions about a guys character.
Oh, seems like I fell for it.... 3 times! haha
Damn sarcasm, I guess my wife is right when she says i dont get it hehe.
For future refrence, please use in your posts!

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The signing of the 27-year-old defenseman leaves only Ryan Callahan's contract to be settled. The Rangers are engaged in talks regarding a multi-year deal for the associate captain, who has a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Callahan, in line for a long term contract in the neighborhood of $4.7million-$5.2million per, would be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next July 1 if he indeed goes through the arbitration process.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1T9KxaUcq

How much? 4 days ago,Brooks wrote $4.2-$4.75M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1T9KxaUcq

How much? 4 days ago,Brooks wrote $4.2-$4.75M.
Based on the comps, $4.2-$4.7M sounds more accurate.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It must be for 6 years at that price. It's not an over payment. People underrate his value, and they've concocted this theory about Callahan getting injured and having a short career. Maybe his career will be short. He plays all-out, every shift, every game. Short meaning he retires at 33-34. He's not going to be finished in his 20s. Also, judging by the intelligence he displays on the ice and off of it, he'll probably realize that he can be just as great and effective a player without having to put his body through a battle every night. He'll adapt and learn to rely more on his stick on defense, like the best defenders do. He consistently displays great stickwork on defense, so he is capable of it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I say 4.5-4.7 cap hit with a 6 year deal. Get it done....coming down to the wire here. Then name him captain

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
What's taking this greedy ****face so long to sign? We should just trade him while his value is relatively high. In a few years we'll have a ton of guys with more talent that will deserve that money he wants.
Relax.

It's a comparables game. Cally with his slightly better points per game and leadership role probably wants a slightly better contract than Dubisnky got. The NYR on the other hand probably wants to pay him Dubi money. Each side has no point to hurry things along to make you happy, so on the 27th or morning of 28th, they'll sit down, probably meet in the middle of the small difference, and we can all start debating what we're going to do with the few pesos of cap space we have left. Either way I see it at 4.5 a year. That's fine.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I'm a Cally fan but he's been vastly overrated on these boards the past few weeks.

He's not as good offensively as Dubinsky is and that's what makes these guys their money. If he signs for 4 years, it will be equal to or less than the 4.2 Duby got. Yes, I know 4 years would be buying 3 UFA years. I don't see the contract going over 4.5M no matter how long he signs for.
I'm sure others have already jumped on your silly statement about dubi being a better offensive player than call but jus in case, calli's ppg is better every year and gets rare time with the first line and torts trust him more in the ultimate offensive situation, the power play. Love dubi; call is the better player and will be paid accordingly. Btw, which of the two was on the Olympic team?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Arthur Staple

Quote:
The Rangers will continue to try to wrap up their top priority, which is a long-term contract for Ryan Callahan. Callahan's arbitration hearing is set for Thursday. His agent, Steve Bartlett, said in an email that contract negotiations are ongoing.

With Eminger's signing, the Rangers are roughly $5 million under next season's salary cap. If the Rangers and Callahan come to terms, as the team did with Brandon Dubinsky on the day of his arbitration hearing last week, figure that Callahan will command a salary with a yearly cap hit of about $4.5 million.

Once he's signed, the Rangers have 48 hours to decide whether to buy any of their other players out. The most likely candidate is Wojtek Wolski, who could be bought out for one-third of his $3.8-million salary. At the moment, the team reportedly has not decided anything about further buyouts and might go into training camp with a few extra forwards.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...deal-1.3050832

Zipay is on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Staple is covering the Rangers in Zipay's absence.

Brooks wrote a Wolski buyout wasn't/doesn't appear in the Rangers plans.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

6 years $4.7 mil for Cally is my guess.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I'm sure others have already jumped on your silly statement about dubi being a better offensive player than call but jus in case, calli's ppg is better every year and gets rare time with the first line and torts trust him more in the ultimate offensive situation, the power play. Love dubi; call is the better player and will be paid accordingly. Btw, which of the two was on the Olympic team?
Right now I only have the energy to say start watching the games...

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Right now I only have the energy to say start watching the games...
I wouldn't say that one is far and away better than the other. Dubi is more talented in the offensive zone and has scary skills when it comes to puck possession. That being said, Callahan was the keystone to the powerplay this past season, and the PP points show this. Dubinsky is always an offensive force, the kind of pressure you need on the defense, while Cally acted like a shock trooper out on the ice. We saw that one didn't work quite as well without the other, but when you put them together you had the equivalent of a first line.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The 26-year-old right wing is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next July 1, so he is certain to command a higher salary and cap number than the $4.2 million per Brandon Dubinsky will earn over the next four seasons on the contract he gained last Thursday just before his scheduled hearing.

Callahan, who recorded 48 points (23-25) in 60 games while establishing career highs in goals, assists and points, will likely come in somewhere between $4.5M and $4.75M on a multi-year deal, though he all but certainly would command more on the open market next July.

If the parties cannot agree on a long-term deal and Callahan goes through with the hearing for what would automatically be a one-year contract given his status as an impending free agent, he would likely get somewhere around $4.2 million.

Moreover, a one-year contract would likely eliminate Callahan from consideration to succeed Chris Drury as captain. If Callahan's Broadway future is uncertain, Brad Richards would almost certainly get the "C."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1TCvOQCdz

$4.5M-$4.75M is more realistic than $4.7M-$5.2M. If its $4.75M,has to be for more than 4 years.

The sooner the better.

Old
07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Umm, no. Last year was the first year Callahan had a better PPG average than Dubinsky.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:17 AM
beastly115

Quote:

Lay off the kool aid a bit. Here are Dubinsky and Callahan's PPG stats since the 07 season:

Callahan
10-11 - .8
09-10 - .48
08-09 - .49
07-08 - .25

Dubinsky
10-11 - .70
09-10 - .63
08-09 - .50
07-08 - .48

The only season Callahan had a better ppg was this past season. Every other season Dubinsky has put up a better ppg and oh yeah, he's also a year younger.

Dubinsky is a better offensive player, period.

And oh yeah, Chris freaking Drury was on the Olympic team. He must be a stellar offensive player!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I hope Cally gets his contract, but in the $5 mil range is complete overpayment.

Personally, I don't think he's worth more than Dubi. I mean I really like what Callahan brings to the table. He's fierce, and he competes, but I think Dubi is just slightly ahead of him in the talent department and has the same drive and attributes that Callahan does. Personally I don't think it should be over $4 mil as a cap hit. If it's between $4-4.5 I won't be at all dissapointed. $4.5-5 leaves a bad taste, but if you are going to overpay a guy might as well be a homegrown kid that gives his all. Over $5 is a mistake by the organization. There is depth here, and his worth in a trade could be tremendous and maybe a better route than overpaying him.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1TCvOQCdz

$4.5M-$4.75M is more realistic than $4.7M-$5.2M. If its $4.75M,has to be for more than 4 years.

The sooner the better.
Sometimes I wonder what these guys really would commend on the open market. Would anyone really go 6m per for Callahan?

Don't forget that you do not need to have much depth before Cally ends up on a 2nd PP unit, and than he would not score more then maybe a little under 50 pts on the avg year. Add in a a few weeks to a month missed due to injury -- and it is a lot to pay him 6m per. A lot.

I am not saying that we shouldn't resign them or that we really are overpaying them. But I sometimes it sounds like they would get superstar money as UFA's, I don't know about that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Sometimes I wonder what these guys really would commend on the open market. Would anyone really go 6m per for Callahan?

Don't forget that you do not need to have much depth before Cally ends up on a 2nd PP unit, and than he would not score more then maybe a little under 50 pts on the avg year. Add in a a few weeks to a month missed due to injury -- and it is a lot to pay him 6m per. A lot.

I am not saying that we shouldn't resign them or that we really are overpaying them. But I sometimes it sounds like they would get superstar money as UFA's, I don't know about that.
Its in the nature of free agency for some guys to come in higher in free markets. If callahan was a UFA right now, especially with this years class, he could fetch 5.5-6.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to be fair to cally, he never got a chance to play with Jaromir Jagr.....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
to be fair to cally, he never got a chance to play with Jaromir Jagr.....

Although it is true.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

5 years 4.5

07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Blah... Dubinsky is the better offensive player. Callahan is the better overall player. I'm sick of everyone comparing the two. You'd think they were on different teams the way people are acting.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Steve Eminger ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)
CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $527,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,160,334; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,139,666

Hagelin and Zuccarello are the first forward callups for bottom and top6 respectively.

Vtank and Kundratek are first callups for defense.

This team is thick, injury resistant and has cap space. We're going places!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Levitate

Maybe even the second round! (as long as they don't draw Washington in the playoffs again)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote