HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Steve Eminger (1 year, $800k)

Old
07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
rangers1314

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not bad at all for a 6/7 guy. In a perfect world, would've liked to have acquired a legitimate 3rd pairing guy with some experience, but one wouldnt have materialized at this price.

Still huge question marks on that 3rd pair.
Eminger is a fine third pairing guy. So thats one spot to be filled by either Erixon/Valentanko/MDZ...so if all 3 of those guys whiff then yes, we'll have to address it and go find a lower level guy to fill that spot, but I dont think it will happen. Hopefully Erixon starts with Eminger as the season starts as Valentenko easies his way into the lineup....like Sauer did last year.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

I like it.

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Rangers' Twitter confirms.

Nice signing.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Erixon/Valentenko-Eminger

Good to hear.
Uh, where's Del Zotto on that chart? Have we already given up on a (just-turned) 21 year old, 1st round draft pick?

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Guy obviously wanted to play here. He could have had that salary or better just about anywhere. Get the feeling our players liked the off season moves by Sather, as well as Tort's leadership. Good sign!
Seems like we've assembled a relatively tight-knit group here, and that guys enjoy being a part of the organization. A big part of it is signing and drafting high-character players..

And Torts, for all the **** I give him, seems to have mellowed quite a bit and shifted a bit towards the "player's coach" category.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if the terms are right, this is about as perfect a signing as you can have. cheap, short term, and a decent player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Nice re-signing! Happy with this.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He's our third best Right Defenseman right now. Eminger is a better option than anything else I could think of based on his history with the team, his quality of play and salary. Anyone better than him would have been a big, multi-year contract, and we would not know how he'd mesh with the team.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Wow he must have really wanted to come back to take that kind of pay cut. I like Eminger and am happy to have him back.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

What's our cap space looking like now? If it's tight, would have to assume the Rangers have a good idea how much salary they'll be doling out to Callahan, perhaps the term hasn't been finalized yet.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Wow he must have really wanted to come back to take that kind of pay cut. I like Eminger and am happy to have him back.
not really he stunk the last few yrs and did'nt earn his money so he played good enough last yr to earn a NHL contract

He's a spare and a pretty good one if that's all he is . No complaints

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
beastly115

Good signing. He'll be bounced around between the press box and 3rd pairing.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Great hit, good depth D.

Good signing.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

My spreadsheet says the Rangers have $4,182,987 in summer space. $66,547,013 in commitments which includes Callahan's $2.4M qualifying offer. The Rangers have $2M in summer space remaining giving Callahan $4.5M per.

The Rangers have 44 SPCs. Callahan makes 45. JT Miller when he signs his OHL deal and then his ELC makes 46. Pashnin 47. Whenever Johnson and Bickel signs their contracts that's 49. McIlrath,Miller and Thomas slide if they are returned to the CHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What's our cap space looking like now? If it's tight, would have to assume the Rangers have a good idea how much salary they'll be doling out to Callahan, perhaps the term hasn't been finalized yet.
Unless one of MZA, Erixon or Avery don't make the team (or gets traded), it looks like we are going to go with a 22 man roster. But whether than means 14/6 or 13/7, who knows. It will depend on how the D looks in camp, I guess.

The best case scenario might be if Erixon needs a little time in the AHL to adjust to the smaller rinks. Then we could go with a 23 man roster, with MDZ and VTank filling out the other spots. Or even still go with 22 (by dumping Christensen) and saving a ton of cap space for later in the year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
UberTroll*

Can't complain about this signing, more then happy.

UberTroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Good stuff, for 800k it's a great deal for a 7th d-man

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Eminger is a fine third pairing guy. So thats one spot to be filled by either Erixon/Valentanko/MDZ...so if all 3 of those guys whiff then yes, we'll have to address it and go find a lower level guy to fill that spot, but I dont think it will happen. Hopefully Erixon starts with Eminger as the season starts as Valentenko easies his way into the lineup....like Sauer did last year.
Eminger sat in favor of McCabe and Gilroy during the stretch run last year.

Hes just as much of a question mark as the younger guys as far as Im concerned.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Unless one of MZA, Erixon or Avery don't make the team (or gets traded), it looks like we are going to go with a 22 man roster. But whether than means 14/6 or 13/7, who knows. It will depend on how the D looks in camp, I guess.

The best case scenario might be if Erixon needs a little time in the AHL to adjust to the smaller rinks. Then we could go with a 23 man roster, with MDZ and VTank filling out the other spots. Or even still go with 22 (by dumping Christensen) and saving a ton of cap space for later in the year.
Christensen can go... MZA I'm indifferent about.... Already scratching my head though because with our glut of forwards, it already looks like Avery & Rupp are likely to take turns sitting in the pressbox due to the sheer glut of forwards... Hoping the roster opens up a bit as the season moves on, because a player like Hagelin could prove early on that he's ready to play at the NHL level and contribute.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
rangers1314

Quote:

I see your point, and like I said before I think Gilroys play did improve toward the end of last season and into the playoffs. McCabe was a complete nightmare defensively, he was just there to shoot on the PP. Honestly I wouldn't have been upset/shocked to have seen McCabe scratched in favor of Eminger in the playoffs, but whatever.

However I don't see Eminger as a "question mark", he just is what he is. A halfway decent 3rd pairing guy who isn't great, but isn't awful. And someone you can get by with and win with if hes getting 12/13 mins a night. I fully expect for him to be paired with Erixon on the 3rd pair on opening night, and hopefully Valetanko gets a shot as the 7th Dman is start the season and is gradually worked into the lineup as the season gets going, much like Sauer did last season. If either Valentenko/Erixon proves they aren't ready then you bring back MDZ (who should start the season in Hartford playing 20+ a night in all situations to rebuild his confidence and "swagger" after his total loss which was last year). If that fails, then its time to start making calls.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:51 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I am okay with the signing because it is cheap, but wasn't this guy sitting out at the end of the year while Gilroy & McCabe were playing? Doesn't say much about him, but apparently Torts wanted him back even though he was sitting him for two crappy players. Odd.
I think him sitting had more to do with Torts looking for more offense than with Emingers play...remember he was also so desperate at one point they brought MDZ back from Hartford. Plus did you think McCabe was gonna sit, he was the deadline get for the PP.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:58 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

i contest that he sat becuase the team was beyond desperate for offense and they felt they couldnt keep gilroy's offensive potential sitting in the press box

The surprsingly good play of McD and Sauer made Eminger the odd man out of the "defensive" d-man crew, and if our offense had been firing on all cylinders then theres no way Gilroy played over him down the stretch

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Eminger did not sit during the stretch run, from March 1 to the end of the regular season he sat out for only 4 of the 18 games...in fact he played in 9 of the last 10, the only one of the last 10 he did not dress for was the last game of the season against the Debbies.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:

no he didnt

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

mlah =P was hoping we'd go young but good insurance. I hope we do not have any overaged camp invites now.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
no he didnt
He most defintley did. Playoffs too, no one could understand why Gilroy was in over him.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote