HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles and Preds talking to Buffalo

Old
07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
ct2111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Exactly. Also for Nashville to take both Boyes and the defenseman they need Buffalo to take either Lebda or Bouillon to stay under the mid-point.
If given the choice of O'Reilly for Boyes or O'Reilly/Bouillon for Boyes/Morrisonn I'd imagine the Sabres would prefer the first offer.

As some already stated the Sabres don't need to get rid of Boyes. In that sense it differs a little from Nashville's situation as Buffalo's owner could afford those $5m in Kotalik and Morrisonn sitting in the minors (he wouldn't be happy about it, of course, but he'd do it) whereas, if I got the situation correctly, the Preds have an internal budget and Lombardi's salary wasn't covered by the insurance, so they were risking $3.5m sitting on their books that could be used to improve the team instead.

I'm not saying your offer is off, but I would think Regier wouldn't trade Boyes to "solve" their cap situation, but in a "hockey" trade that improves the team. Not saying your offer is a cap dump, though.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
If given the choice of O'Reilly for Boyes or O'Reilly/Bouillon for Boyes/Morrisonn I'd imagine the Sabres would prefer the first offer.
Either way I'd do it.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:06 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment on O'Reilly. None of those other players had such a great start to a season as O'Reilly did. He was our leading scorer after 2 and a half months, went into a 2 week slump, then broke his leg. Can't say anything remotely similar about the players you just listed (referring to the the points part here ).

Also, why are you splitting up Smithson and Spaling? They showed that they have great chemistry together, and have been on the same line for a while now. Spaling usually plays center, but they swap sometimes too.

I don't think O'Reilly will be our savior or anything, but how can you write him off already with all that he's shown?
Yeah, I'm hesitant on giving up on Cal already as well.
And those lines he posted are not what I had in mind. Bergfors will not be on a checking line, atleast I hope not.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
piratessabres08

Could be off here but how about Spaling and Mueller for Boyes and Morrisonn. Nash gets a vet d and a top 6 winger and adds salary. Buffalo gets cap relief, a 3 rd line center and adds center depth/a hometown kid to stick in Rochester.

piratessabres08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:46 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratessabres08 View Post
Could be off here but how about Spaling and Mueller for Boyes and Morrisonn. Nash gets a vet d and a top 6 winger and adds salary. Buffalo gets cap relief, a 3 rd line center and adds center depth/a hometown kid to stick in Rochester.
That would be something to strongly consider. But Spaling has very quickly made a name for himself around here. He's not just a checker, pk'er, he can score too. That's why I'm not a gm. Hard decisions.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratessabres08 View Post
Nashville can't take on that much salary I don't think. I'll have to check the numbers again though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

now come on take Shaone dammit

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 03:27 AM
bandit614

can i just point out that boyes was LITERALLY second on the team in points? and 70th in the league in points means that he is technically a first liner.
why would they trade him? his contract is reasonable if he gets 55 points again. it all depends on whether or not they play him on the wing or at center..

mind you, i have no attachment to him, so if someone wants him then i don't mind if he goes.. but don't undervalue the return.

Last edited by bandit614: 07-25-2011 at 03:35 AM.
bandit614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:48 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
now come on take Shaone dammit

If Morrisonn's salary is an issue, we can just send a low pick instead. Trading away Boyes for two young players saves Pegula some money anyway.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:54 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Count me in among those who'd rather just keep Boyes than do a trade where we take on a bunch of clutter as well. My ideal Boyes trade is pretty much a straight up 2nd-line-RW for 3rd-line-C (or a very good 4th line C like Lapierre) deal, with the added elements being low picks, AHL roster players, or mid-level prospects. As soon as we start talking dead weight NHL roster players, no thanks.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit614 View Post
can i just point out that boyes was LITERALLY second on the team in points? and 70th in the league in points means that he is technically a first liner.
why would they trade him? his contract is reasonable if he gets 55 points again. it all depends on whether or not they play him on the wing or at center..

mind you, i have no attachment to him, so if someone wants him then i don't mind if he goes.. but don't undervalue the return.
Buf also got him for a 2nd rounder, do not overvalue him for a return either. Boyes is solid though, there were years he was the blues best forward, he is sick on the pp. But with his offensive skills comes defensive liability. In his best offensive season (70 points) he was a - 20. Now that he is not attacking as much he is a + player. Another factor for the Sabres should be that he got his highest point production in his contract year. I say keep him, but I also think that asking for pretty high prospects for him is too much.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:28 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment on O'Reilly. None of those other players had such a great start to a season as O'Reilly did. He was our leading scorer after 2 and a half months, went into a 2 week slump, then broke his leg. Can't say anything remotely similar about the players you just listed (referring to the the points part here ).

Also, why are you splitting up Smithson and Spaling? They showed that they have great chemistry together, and have been on the same line for a while now. Spaling usually plays center, but they swap sometimes too.

I don't think O'Reilly will be our savior or anything, but how can you write him off already with all that he's shown?
I'm not really throwing out lines (to the extent Trotz actually has lines - he seems to just pull names out of a hat on a nightly basis), just a quick depth chart to show what it might look like with Boyes/without O'Reilly.

This trade would be for potentials - we'd be getting the potential for Boyes to click with our playmakers and get back to his 30-40 goal form (for at least a year), and trading away O'Reilly's potential, which is at best a 15G, 30A type season while bouncing between the bench and the bottom lines.

I'm done with the David Poile kool-aid - there's always some young guy we "can't wait to see what he can do when given more top line minutes, good health, learns to play defense, whatever."

If you're counting on Cal O'Reilly to be that missing piece between us and serious Cup contention - well, don't hold your breath. Brad Boyes, however remote those chances might be, might actually be that piece, because he's done it before.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Most likely/easiest scenario: Buffalo buries Kotalik (3.0) and Morrisonn (2.05) in the minors and clears 5 million in cap space.

Morrisonn could have a trade market as he is a physical NHL 3rd pair defensemen who has 1 year left at a very reasonable salary for what he brings.

The Sabres could also shop Brad Boyes (4.0), but they won't be giving away a 55 pt winger for nothing.
ok, I didnt know Buffalo had the cashflow to bury 5 million.

Is this new owner really that cavalier with his cash?

Boyes for oreilly makes sense.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I think he's counting on somebody taking Morrisonn, either for a low-round pick (5th-7th), or even off waivers. That'll save him $2.075m right there. As far as Kotalik goes, I'm sure they'll try to move him, but they'll play him in Rochester if they have to. The main reason they took Kotalik was because Calgary was essentially giving us their 2nd rounder to do so, and it was the key to getting them to agree to the Regehr deal and not go soliciting other offers for Regehr (which they may have done given Regehr's initial reluctance).

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

No one knows if he's really that cavalier with it but he's a huge fan from his younger days who made a massive amount of wealth and isn't afraid to spend it (and lose it) on his team. To what extent he's willing to lose it remains to be seen, but it wouldn't stun anyone that's familiar with him if he did spend $5M in that fashion if he thinks it'll bring his team closer to the Cup.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
No one knows if he's really that cavalier with it but he's a huge fan from his younger days who made a massive amount of wealth and isn't afraid to spend it (and lose it) on his team. To what extent he's willing to lose it remains to be seen, but it wouldn't stun anyone that's familiar with him if he did spend $5M in that fashion if he thinks it'll bring his team closer to the Cup.
And by the same token, I don't think for a minute that Regier isn't trying to find a way to unload some if not all of that.

07-25-2011, 04:02 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And by the same token, I don't think for a minute that Regier isn't trying to find a way to unload some if not all of that.
Exactly. Pegula isn't a charity or an idiot. But he will do what needs to be done.

My two cents by the way is that I'd like to see Boyes on this roster unless there's a 1/2 center coming back (in other words, he's packaged).

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Yog S'loth

Newsflash:

Every GM in the league talking to every other GM in the league.

Because it's July, and what else do they have to do?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote