HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign F Byron Bitz to a 1-Year, $700,000 Deal (Two-Way)

Old
07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Why do this signing? It just seems weird with Oreo still in the fold. Unless he isn't going to be...

MG should be taking a serious look at Campoli. If he can't add that top 6 foward now, at least use that money to add a solid dman. Going into the season with that cap space is fine, but I'd rather have an asset locked in instead.
Having cap space at the trade deadline could be very useful for bringing in a high salary player.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

vCash: 500
Our lineup to start the year will be stronger than the one that started last year. We'll still be the number one defensive team in the league, and we actually have a stronger group of forwards this year. Looking very good.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
hackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
lol give me a gritty top 6 forward to play with kesler, or this offseason is a fail

I said this many times, and I won't back off my stance on it. The #1 goal this offseason was to find a top 6 with kesler, if this is not going to happen, especially with losing ehrhoff, its a failure.

I am sure many people will debate this with me, go nuts
It's near the end of July not the end of September

So tie those young hormones down before you hurt yourself

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:20 PM
GingersRULE

Personally, I love this signing. I think its going to push more of our core players such as Kesler and Hansen to really up there game this season knowing that theres a potential threat to replace them. I've followed this Mr. Bitz the last year very closely and hes definitely a player you can count on to carry the load for a team when there in a scoring slump and to pick up the pace if were skating like snails out there. I think hes going to work out very well here in Vancouver and I'm happy Mike Gillis is doing the right thing with this move. More depth equals more competition. Thats going to motivate us more going forward. As a long time Canucks fan this is definitely a sign of more things to come. I'm already looking forward to this upcoming season. WE GOT SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESSS TO TAKE CARE SO LETS CHEER OUR BOYS ON. GOOOOOO CANUCKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GingersRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
Personally, I love this signing. I think its going to push more of our core players such as Kesler and Hansen to really up there game this season knowing that theres a potential threat to replace them. I've followed this Mr. Bitz the last year very closely and hes definitely a player you can count on to carry the load for a team when there in a scoring slump and to pick up the pace if were skating like snails out there. I think hes going to work out very well here in Vancouver and I'm happy Mike Gillis is doing the right thing with this move. More depth equals more competition. Thats going to motivate us more going forward. As a long time Canucks fan this is definitely a sign of more things to come. I'm already looking forward to this upcoming season. WE GOT SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESSS TO TAKE CARE SO LETS CHEER OUR BOYS ON. GOOOOOO CANUCKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
addybojangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Just realized why Bitz took the two-way--he didn't play any hockey at all last year...missed the entire season due to a sports hernia. Ouch.
Eek!

I mistyped his name to a friend calling him "Blitz" but "Bitz" is an even cooler name. I approve.

addybojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Why do this signing? It just seems weird with Oreo still in the fold. Unless he isn't going to be...

MG should be taking a serious look at Campoli. If he can't add that top 6 foward now, at least use that money to add a solid dman. Going into the season with that cap space is fine, but I'd rather have an asset locked in instead.
Eh.

Not really...I mean, we lost Glass (oh noes!), and have Pinizzotto and Mancari as potential AHL promotions, but outside of Oreskovich we are still missing one additional fourth line or 13th forward type guy who can crash and bang. Thus why a lot of people were clamoring for Winchester. This guy seems like he could have a higher ceiling then Winchester as well, similar size, etc. We also lost Torres and Rypien as options in the bottom six; so I think this signing makes sense...especially on a two-way.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Having cap space at the trade deadline could be very useful for bringing in a high salary player.

True, but at the same time, having an asset is more useful. It gives you an extra option in trade talks. Also, you are going to pay a premium price at or near the deadline, and that's not good. If the piece Gillis is looking to add is a significant one, then he will have to pay out big.

Stock up in the offseason. It is the best time to do so. The parts might not be the same, but at least you get NHL quality players without giving up assets in return.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Eh.

Not really...I mean, we lost Glass (oh noes!), and have Pinizzotto and Mancari as potential AHL promotions, but outside of Oreskovich we are still missing one additional fourth line or 13th forward type guy who can crash and bang. Thus why a lot of people were clamoring for Winchester. This guy seems like he could have a higher ceiling then Winchester as well, similar size, etc. We also lost Torres and Rypien as options in the bottom six; so I think this signing makes sense...especially on a two-way.

Oreskovich is, or is destined to become, the 13th forward. The team carries 8 D and goes with 13 forwards. With Oreskovich and Hansen back in the fold, that's 12 (Raymond out to start). The next and only add should be a top 6 forward. What happens to Bitz if and when that piece is acquired? He or Oreo will then have to go to the AHL in that case.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that he isn't a Desbiens or a Bolduc, if in fact that is the role he is pegged to fill. Massive upgrade if that is the case. But if he is expected to challenge for a top 13 spot, I'm not sure where he fits if a better forward is eventually brought in.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Oreskovich is, or is destined to become, the 13th forward. The team carries 8 D and goes with 13 forwards. With Oreskovich and Hansen back in the fold, that's 12 (Raymond out to start). The next and only add should be a top 6 forward. What happens to Bitz if and when that piece is acquired? He or Oreo will then have to go to the AHL.
Which is fine considering Bitz is on a two-way deal; it's competition without risking waivers really. Same deal with Pinizzotto and Mancari; I suppose management is banking on ONE of these guys working out at the NHL level. And who knows how long Raymond is going to be missing for...most recent updates categorized his recovery as 'slow'.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Which is fine considering Bitz is on a two-way deal; it's competition without risking waivers really. Same deal with Pinizzotto and Mancari; I suppose management is banking on ONE of these guys working out at the NHL level. And who knows how long Raymond is going to be missing for...most recent updates categorized his recovery as 'slow'.
I doubt he's waiver exempt. They probably just want to save some cash if he doesn't make the team.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
In 87 games he's put up 9 goals and 18 points, not to bad.
His discipline is also a positive. Bitz has only taken 10 minor penalties in 92 NHL games.

I don't know if he skates well enough to make the team but you can't go wrong with the two-way contract.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:11 PM
deckercky

Quote:
True, but at the same time, having an asset is more useful. It gives you an extra option in trade talks. Also, you are going to pay a premium price at or near the deadline, and that's not good. If the piece Gillis is looking to add is a significant one, then he will have to pay out big.

Stock up in the offseason. It is the best time to do so. The parts might not be the same, but at least you get NHL quality players without giving up assets in return.
Agreed....except there hasn't been the right pieces available at a decent price. Sturm may be a misstep, but other than that, it's all solid deals. And the Canucks are better starting this season than we were last season (health issues aside).

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Marco Sturm ($2.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Cody Hodgson ($1.666m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.500m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)
/ Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Victor Oreskovich ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($0.750m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $15,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,039,999; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $260,001

I think Higgins/Lapierre/Bitz is the best looking 4th line we can make. Sturm will get a shot at Kesler's wing, as should Hodgson. When Raymond comes back, we shift out Hodgson and slot Raymond in with bottom 6 duty until he's up to speed, when he'll get a chance to win back his spot on Kesler's wing (assuming Sturm and Higgins aren't looking like great fits).

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I doubt he's waiver exempt. They probably just want to save some cash if he doesn't make the team.
I think he'd be waiver exempt because he hasn't played 60 professional games in the last two years. 52 games in 09-10, and didn't play last year.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

As long as its competition for Oreskovich, cool. But since he plays RW, I can't help but wonder a slight bit if he might be potential Hansen insurance...

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
The end goal is the Stanley Cup, not to "win" the offseason. It's not like the teams "needs" another top 6 forward to win the division. We're deep enough that we're a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd seed before the season eve starts which buys Gillis a TON of time to do something to shore up our top 6 and give us a better chance to win the cup.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I share your thoughts that we need another top 6 forward to feel comfortable of our chances to win the cup but I disagree completely that a rush move has to be made during the offseason. Gillis has time on his side, and he's always proven that he's not one to rush into decisions.
A rush move?, I ain't asking for a rush move, I am looking for a smart move to get a legit player to play with kesler. If he gets him now, thats great, if he gets him in a month, that's great.

If he does NOT get one this offseason, then I have a huge problem

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Agreed....except there hasn't been the right pieces available at a decent price. Sturm may be a misstep, but other than that, it's all solid deals. And the Canucks are better starting this season than we were last season (health issues aside).

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Marco Sturm ($2.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Cody Hodgson ($1.666m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.500m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)
/ Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Victor Oreskovich ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($0.750m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $15,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,039,999; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $260,001

I think Higgins/Lapierre/Bitz is the best looking 4th line we can make. Sturm will get a shot at Kesler's wing, as should Hodgson. When Raymond comes back, we shift out Hodgson and slot Raymond in with bottom 6 duty until he's up to speed, when he'll get a chance to win back his spot on Kesler's wing (assuming Sturm and Higgins aren't looking like great fits).
it's not 100% sure raymond is gonna come back, the earliest we can hope for is the trade deadline.

What happens if raymond is out for 3/4th of the season, and sturm is awful next year on the kesler line.

Who is going to play on the 2nd line?.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:34 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
it's not 100% sure raymond is gonna come back, the earliest we can hope for is the trade deadline
Wait, wtf? Has there been some incredible new development since I last read about his injuries?

All the reports I read from mid June was that he would be out 3-4 months. That would place his return to be safely around middle of October, middle of November if you want to be really conservative.

Why is the earliest he can hope for him to be back late February all of a sudden? Has his expected recovery time been shifted from 3-4 months to 8 1/2+ months now?

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
I think he'd be waiver exempt because he hasn't played 60 professional games in the last two years. 52 games in 09-10, and didn't play last year.
He's not, he signed out of college at 23 before the 07-08 season, so his exemption ended at the end of 09-10 or after 60 NHL games, and he hit 60 midway through 09-10.

Assuming the two-way is for $105k at the AHL level, he's exempt from re-entry waivers on a recall. But if it's more, he's not; he's not been off an NHL roster (IR counts as on the roster for this purpose) since mid-08-09.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
My wife used to date this guy when he was playing for the Nanaimo Clippers back in 2002... she dumped him, just like the Canucks will be dumping him onto waivers before long.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
My wife used to date this guy when he was playing for the Nanaimo Clippers back in 2002... she dumped him, just like the Canucks will be dumping him onto waivers before long.
Scouting report? Does he go into the dirty areas?

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
You sound kinda jealous bro.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
biturbo19

I'm ok with this signing. Not jumping for joy by any stretch, but if he's intended as a guy to platoon with Oreskovich as the 12/13th forward on 4th line RW to keep guys hungry and fresh...at least there's a little bit of upside there. Playing that sort of game over the course of an 82 game season is going to take it's toll, so having a tandem to work with is probably good. And having those two big bodies to duke it out for games and playing time on the 4th line can only mean two very motivated big-hitters.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashy McSlewfoot View Post
Scouting report? Does he go into the dirty areas?

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Scurr

Quote:
lol give me a gritty top 6 forward to play with kesler, or this offseason is a fail

I said this many times, and I won't back off my stance on it. The #1 goal this offseason was to find a top 6 with kesler, if this is not going to happen, especially with losing ehrhoff, its a failure.

I am sure many people will debate this with me, go nuts
I'm not going to debate it with you but I'll tell you why you're wrong.

We didn't get outscored by other teams top 6 forwards in the playoffs, we got outscored by their bottom 6's. This team doesn't need to get more top heavy, it needs more scoring depth.

We already have wingers 4 wingers that have produced at a 2nd line clip in the past (Higgins/Sturm/Raymond/Samuellson) Overpaying for for a support type player, either in money or assets would have been a worse gamble than banking on two of these guys filling that role.

I expect Gillis has been and will continue to look for an impact winger to play with Kesler but he isn't going to make a desperation move, nor should he. Kesler produced at a rate that should be considered his offensive ceiling imo with the guys we have. Bergeron produced in the playoffs with Marchand and Recchi, why can't Kesler do it with what he has to work with?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote