HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

J.T. Miller has Change of Heart, Going to OHL not NCAA

Old
07-17-2011, 10:39 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
He's gonna be a Ranger in the Fall of 2012. Book it.
I agree, he wouldn't be accelerating his degree if he wanted to go elsewhere (it would make no sense, as he would have to find someplace to play for a year until the Ranger's rights on him expired).

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Charlie Coyle

Quote:
"It was nice seeing the Bruins win, but it was a little weird. San Jose was still in it and people kept asking me who I was rooting for. But, at heart, it was nice to see the Bruins win. You've got to root for the hometown team."
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18497781?source=rss

That must be why SJ traded Coyle

The BC fans weren't wrong about some of the people here. Just look at some of the responses in this thread.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Fast forward to 44 minutes

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/50...h-clark-gorton

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
And there it is.

From Clark's mouth, on video.

He's taking full course loads this summer and he's graduating and getting his degree after his Junior year, and he will go Pro and concentrate only on being a Pro hockey player.

Clark also said he feels Kreider could have stepped into the NHL like Stepan did.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Just a few facts from the beat writer for UND. He has done his homework. Take it anyway you like but these numbers don't lie.

UND’s Zach Parise has scored more NHL goals than every player the Plymouth Whalers have produced in the last eight years combined (and Parise missed almost all of last year).

When you add in others that the Sioux have produced in that timeframe — Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Toews, 30-goal scorer Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, alternate captain Matt Greene, T.J. Oshie, etc. — the former Sioux are dwarfing the production of Plymouth players (and other major junior teams) in the NHL.

The official numbers (in players produced during the last eight years)?

NHL games played: UND 2,648. Plymouth 1,245.

NHL goals: UND 551. Plymouth 154.

NHL assists: UND 794. Plymouth 259.

NHL points: UND 1,345. Plymouth 413.

Players with 100+ NHL games: UND 10. Plymouth four.

NHL captains/alternate captains: UND three. Plymouth zero.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Just a few facts from the beat writer for UND. He has done his homework. Take it anyway you like but these numbers don't lie.

UND’s Zach Parise has scored more NHL goals than every player the Plymouth Whalers have produced in the last eight years combined (and Parise missed almost all of last year).

When you add in others that the Sioux have produced in that timeframe — Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Toews, 30-goal scorer Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, alternate captain Matt Greene, T.J. Oshie, etc. — the former Sioux are dwarfing the production of Plymouth players (and other major junior teams) in the NHL.

WOW! Thats kinda funny for the OHL being the better route.

USA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA! View Post
WOW! Thats kinda funny for the OHL being the better route.
Exactly. The NCAA route took a beating by quite a few posters on here and I'm waiting to hear from them to explain these numbers. UND is an NHL producing factory and I still say Miller made the wrong decision. Time will tell.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:

LOL.

Look, I know you love your team and you're disappointed with Miller's decision.

But the choice wasn't between UND and Plymouth. It was between the NCAA and the CHL/OHL. Miller did not choose to go to Plymouth because they are a powerhouse team known for pumping out NHL players. He chose the CHL/OHL over the NCAA.

Comparing numbers between UND and Plymouth is pointless and really shows nothing. Collegiate players CHOOSE what school they want to attend/play for. CHL players get drafted and really have no choice of what team they play for unless they hold out/demand a trade. The stats/numbers would look the same if you compared any top NCAA program to your average CHL team. Top NCAA programs get the top collegiate players year after year. CHL teams go through cycles of rebuilding years and dominant years. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.

Compare the numbers between the NCAA and the CHL or OHL for a better analysis.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 07-25-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
LOL.

But the choice wasn't between UND and Plymouth. It was between the NCAA and the CHL/OHL. Miller did not choose to go to Plymouth because they are a powerhouse team known for pumping out NHL players. He chose the CHL/OHL over the NCAA.

Comparing numbers between UND and Plymouth is pointless and really shows nothing.

Its not pointless at all. It shows what each program has produced in the past eight years. Maybe Miller didnt want to go to class ect. It was his choice but those numbers don't lie.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
LOL.

Comparing numbers between UND and Plymouth is pointless and really shows nothing. Collegiate players CHOOSE what school they want to attend/play for. CHL players get drafted and really have no choice of what team they play for unless they hold out/demand a trade. The stats/numbers would look the same if you compared any top NCAA program to your average CHL team. Top NCAA programs get the top collegiate players year after year. CHL teams go through cycles of rebuilding years and dominant years. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.

Damn right I love my team but my point is how so many posters said Plymouth is a more offensive minded team. Well it may be but it hasn't translated into the NHL in the last 8 years. Hey I just like to get things going a bit and Miller made his decision and so be it. The Sioux will be fine without him believe me.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Its not pointless at all. It shows what each program has produced in the past eight years. Maybe Miller didnt want to go to class ect. It was his choice but those numbers don't lie.
Collegiate players CHOOSE what school they want to attend/play for. CHL players get drafted and really have no choice of what team they play for unless they hold out/demand a trade. The stats/numbers would look the same if you compared any top NCAA program to your average CHL team. Top NCAA programs get the top collegiate players year after year. CHL teams go through cycles of rebuilding years and dominant years. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.

You can always skew numbers and statistics, but they hardly tell the whole truth.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Damn right I love my team but my point is how so many posters said Plymouth is a more offensive minded team. Well it may be but it hasn't translated into the NHL in the last 8 years. Hey I just like to get things going a bit and Miller made his decision and so be it. The Sioux will be fine without him believe me.
I love your passion for your team, but if "Miller made his decision and so be it. The Sioux will be fine without him believe me," then why the need to try and ruffle feathers on here posting useless stats from a biased UND beat writer?

He made his choice. If he fails to become an NHL player after playing in the OHL, whose to say he would have been an NHL player if he played at UND instead? We'll never know.

But if you look at the numbers, the CHL has produced FAR MORE NHL players and IMPACT players over the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years than the NCAA.

"The numbers don't lie"

Old
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
USA!

Quote:
Collegiate players CHOOSE what school they want to attend/play for. CHL players get drafted and really have no choice of what team they play for unless they hold out/demand a trade. The stats/numbers would look the same if you compared any top NCAA program to your average CHL team. Top NCAA programs get the top collegiate players year after year. CHL teams go through cycles of rebuilding years and dominant years. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.

You can always skew numbers and statistics, but they hardly tell the whole truth.
Bad CHL teams get top draft picks correct? How about you compare Sids old team for the past 8 years vs UND.

Games played: UND 2,648. Rimouski 883.
NHL goals: UND 551. Rimouski 294.
NHL assists: UND 794. Rimouski 467.
NHL points: UND 1,345. Rimouski 761.
Players with 100+ NHL games: UND 10. Rimouski 3.

We could do this with alot of the top CHL teams if you would like.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
I love your passion for your team, but if "Miller made his decision and so be it. The Sioux will be fine without him believe me," then why the need to try and ruffle feathers on here posting useless stats from a biased UND beat writer?

He made his choice. If he fails to become an NHL player after playing in the OHL, whose to say he would have been an NHL player if he played at UND instead? We'll never know.

But if you look at the numbers, the CHL has produced FAR MORE NHL players and IMPACT players over the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years than the NCAA.

"The numbers don't lie"
Of course the CHL has produced more NHL players. I am well aware of that. I'm defending the program at the University of North Dakota where Miller made a commitment to play. Just pointing out what the program has produced lately with numbers brought up by our,as you say,biased beat writer. I just like a good natured debate about the great game of puck. That and I will defend my home states college hockey team any day.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Bad CHL teams get top draft picks correct? How about you compare Sids old team for the past 8 years vs UND.

Games played: UND 2,648. Rimouski 883.
NHL goals: UND 551. Rimouski 294.
NHL assists: UND 794. Rimouski 467.
NHL points: UND 1,345. Rimouski 761.
Players with 100+ NHL games: UND 10. Rimouski 3.

We could do this with alot of the top CHL teams if you would like.
There's 60 CHL teams. The talent is WAY MORE diluted than the top 10-15 NCAA programs.

The numbers will look the same no matter what CHL team you compare to a powerhouse NCAA program.

CHL teams can not recruit players and stack their programs. Yes they get top draft picks, but that's 1 draft pick in the 1st round unless they make trades for more. A team like UND theoretically can recruit the top 10 players in a recruiting class any given year. A CHL team can't bring in the top 10 fifteen-year-olds in a given year.

It's apples and oranges. If you don't want to take off the USA shades and look at it objectively, that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Of course the CHL has produced more NHL players. I am well aware of that. I'm defending the program at the University of North Dakota where Miller made a commitment to play. Just pointing out what the program has produced lately with numbers brought up by our,as you say,biased beat writer. I just like a good natured debate about the great game of puck. That and I will defend my home states college hockey team any day.
You have to look at it as NCAA vs OHL/CHL.

Not UND vs Plymouth.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
You have to look at it as NCAA vs OHL/CHL.

Not UND vs Plymouth.
Yeah I know and the Sioux have had a pretty good run of producing top end talent the past 10 or so years. Just letting folks know who otherwise wouldn't what the program at UND is capable of doing.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:30 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Yeah I know and the Sioux have had a pretty good run of producing top end talent the past 10 or so years. Just letting folks know who otherwise wouldn't what the program at UND is capable of doing.
Im pretty sure everyone here is aware that UND is a top program.

However, JT's goal is to turn pro as soon as possible and feels that this is the best way for him to go about that.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

You cant just use Plymouth. You have to use all the CHL players who turned down UND to play in the CHL. Miller is going to Plymouth because they have his rights, not because he thinks that particular club is better for his development than UND.

Plus, Tyler Seguin is slated to be a franchise No. 1 center and he played for Plymouth.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Levitate

jesus christ who cares. People bashing the NCAA are just being dumb as hell and on the flip side, it's not a slight against UND that Miller decided not to go there. Don't take **** so personally

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote