Notices

TV schedule - Updated; TSN To Get Broadcast Rights

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2011, 10:16 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
It was mentioned on H&L on Monday I think that the dude who is filling in this week will be hosting a morning show starting in the near future. Probably 6-9 AM or 7-10 AM or something like that.

Old
07-22-2011, 12:30 AM
jamwires

vCash: 500
See Ya Cjob!

Old
07-22-2011, 12:43 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
To those hoping that 1290 boosts its transmitter power to match CJOB's, fuggedaboutit. CJOB is on a "clear channel frequency", not to be confused with the American radio conglomerate "Clear Channel Communications. That's why...
  • they can have a stronger nightime signal
  • and have less co-channel interference
Bottom line is that 1290 cannot boost their nighttime power. The only option for Jets radio broadcasts is a "mini-network" with other radio stations in Manitoba, and possibly Saskatchewan and Northwestern Ontario.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
To those hoping that 1290 boosts its transmitter power to match CJOB's, fuggedaboutit. CJOB is on a "clear channel frequency", not to be confused with the American radio conglomerate "Clear Channel Communications. That's why...
Bottom line is that 1290 cannot boost their nighttime power. The only option for Jets radio broadcasts is a "mini-network" with other radio stations in Manitoba, and possibly Saskatchewan and Northwestern Ontario.
I'm sure that's what they will do. That's what they did with the Oilers when I worked up north... a series of radio stations pay for the rights and just pick up the feed.

07-22-2011, 09:18 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Since the closest 1290AM station operating in the States is out of Benson, MN (some 500km south of the border with a very localized broadcast range, even at night), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Sports Radio 1290 in Winnipeg boosts their signal strength to guarantee coverage to the area of southern Manitoba traditionally covered by Winnipeg radio stations?

Here's a look at coverage maps for CBC and CJOB. There is a huge difference in initial coverage area, but the bottom line is that neither station even comes close to overlapping with the coverage area of the Benson station that shares a frequency with Sports Radio 1290.

The problem is, if 1290 doesn't boost its signal strength, there are going to be communities within driving distance of Winnipeg that go unserved by the radio broadcasts, as 1290s signal is too weak to reach them, and they are not close enough to smaller centres (Steinbach, Portage, Brandon, Winkler, Dauphin, The Pas) to pick up the other stations that usually form the "radio network" for Jets/Moose/Bomber/Goldeyes games etc.

Since it doesn't look like there are any applications to boost signal strench before the CRTC at this time, and I'm not sure if one could be "pushed through" in time for the start of the NHL season, does this mean partnering with another (competitor's) station to ensure all of Manitoba is covered? One way to avoid that would be a partnership with NCI FM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Communications) which has repeaters throughout the province. Otherwise you're looking at CJOB or CBC to get your games out over AM.

Last edited by bodybreak: 07-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
shtinky

Sorry if this has been asked already, but will any of the preseason games be on TV?

Old
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtinky View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already, but will any of the preseason games be on TV?
At least one of them will be since it's the Kraft Hockeyville game in St. John's against the Sens. Not sure if the rest of them will be, but it would probably be a smart move for CKY or Global if they wanted to jump on board with the team for some ratings bumps...

Old
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Wolf357

I wouldnt worry about 1290s broadcast strength at all. I'm sure they will simply do what CJOB does with the bombers and have a Jetshockey network similar to the "blubomberfootballnetwork" that includes Winkler,Brandon,Dauphin.

I do have a question regarding Sirius Satelite. Since XM holds the radio rights to all NHL games and "The Best of XM" is only available to the U.S does anyone know if Sirius will be able to broadcast in the future?
Right now Sirius holds a market share of 82% of all subscribers in Canada. The XM/Sirius Merger in June was primarily only music. Sirius still exclusivly holds the rights to CFL games while XM holds the rights to NHL games.

Old
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
I wouldnt worry about 1290s broadcast strength at all. I'm sure they will simply do what CJOB does with the bombers and have a Jetshockey network similar to the "blubomberfootballnetwork" that includes Winkler,Brandon,Dauphin.

I do have a question regarding Sirius Satelite. Since XM holds the radio rights to all NHL games and "The Best of XM" is only available to the U.S does anyone know if Sirius will be able to broadcast in the future?
Right now Sirius holds a market share of 82% of all subscribers in Canada. The XM/Sirius Merger in June was primarily only music. Sirius still exclusivly holds the rights to CFL games while XM holds the rights to NHL games.
I doubt it. I've called XM many times to try to get NFL games and I never can. I imagine the same will be with Sirius. The reason I chose XM over Sirius was the NHL games being exclusively on XM. I doubt they open up those rules just because another Canadian city got a team.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I doubt it. I've called XM many times to try to get NFL games and I never can. I imagine the same will be with Sirius. The reason I chose XM over Sirius was the NHL games being exclusively on XM. I doubt they open up those rules just because another Canadian city got a team.
I have a house in the US and bought my vehicle there but live in the Peg full time and am able to get US XM by using my US address.....US XM has the NFL network (Sirius feed) and the NHL network so it is ideal coverage maybe if you have a buddy in the US you can pull it off but I m not sure?

Old
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I have a house in the US and bought my vehicle there but live in the Peg full time and am able to get US XM by using my US address.....US XM has the NFL network (Sirius feed) and the NHL network so it is ideal coverage maybe if you have a buddy in the US you can pull it off but I m not sure?
Yeah I'm sure it works (just like the old DirectTV thing), but you'd need a US address to bill it to. There's always a work around, but for the most part, if you have Sirius you're out of luck for the NHL, in Canada.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:38 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

So who is carrying the broadcast on the radio? CJOB or 1290?

Old
07-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

So now that TSN has the broadcasting rights, will they be showing every game or is there still need for me to get NHL CI? I may still get it for the pure enjoyment of watching many different games, which I love. However, I want to know that i'll get to see every single Jets game.

07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
So now that TSN has the broadcasting rights, will they be showing every game or is there still need for me to get NHL CI? I may still get it for the pure enjoyment of watching many different games, which I love. However, I want to know that i'll get to see every single Jets game.
TSN will show the majority of games on TSN & TSN2 along with CBC.

If you live in Winnipeg, these games will be blacked out.

However, not all the games will be on TEN or CBC and you will need NHL CI for those ones.

Old
07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post

However, not all the games will be on TEN or CBC and you will need NHL CI for those ones.
Guerzy, are you in Manitoba? If you are, you may not need CI for the Jets games. Guardian said it, the Jets games on CI will be blacked out if you live in the Jets region.

The amount of games on each network is up in the air still. There are now 19 Sat. games plus two Sunday games in which most if not all of those games will be on HNIC. For TSN national games, it could be 10 games just like the other western teams and Ottawa. The Sens also get two games on TSN2 which the Jets might also get. That equals 33 national games and leaves 49 games for TSN regional games and that is possible even with less national games and more regional ones. The western teams have 58 regional games each and the Sens have 53 when combing all their Sportsnet games.

Old
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:

I would think it's a huge miscalculation if all 82 games are NOT broadcast in the Manitoba region. I doubt you'll need CI for Jets games.

Old
07-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:

From my understanding all games will be on either TSN, TSN2, CBC, or a new TSN Jets channel that will be available on cable/satellite.

I have ShawDirect at the lake, and there are channels for Sportsnet Flames and Oilers. It will be similar to that situation (most regional games will be on the TSN Jets I would imagine).

Old
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Since the closest 1290AM station operating in the States is out of Benson, MN (some 500km south of the border with a very localized broadcast range, even at night), wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Sports Radio 1290 in Winnipeg boosts their signal strength to guarantee coverage to the area of southern Manitoba traditionally covered by Winnipeg radio stations?
That was the daytime pattern. Most games are played at night. Here's their nighttime GROUNDWAVE pattern... http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=F&hours=N Problem is that at night (when most NHL games are played) reception is usually well beyond the groundwave limits.

When I was a kid growing up in Winnipeg in the 1960's, my parents had a good multiband radio in the basement, hooked up to a long length of copper wire in the back yard. Back then we didn't have the web. We had to use radio. Right after the 1967 expansion, I was able to pick up NHL games at night on...
  • KMOX St. Louis (reliable; but sometimes tape-delayed because the St Louis Hawks basketball broadcasts got priority. More than 40 years later, the Hawks are still getting priority over hockey, even for Atlanta arena space)
  • WCCO Minnesota (reliable; even got staticy reception during the daytime)
  • WJR Detroit (reliable for a couple of years; then a southern Manitoba station moved on top of their frequency )
  • WGN Chicago (not very reliable)
  • KDKA Pittsburgh (not very reliable)
  • WBZ Boston (freak skip reception)
  • KNX Los Angeles (freak skip reception)
The prairies are miles and miles of miles and miles. Almost totally flat. Reception is unbelievable at night. 500 km is nothing, especially if 1290 boosts their power.

Out of sheer curiousity, when and why exactly did CFRW switch from 1470 to 1290?

Old
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
[FONT="Arial"]Guerzy, are you in Manitoba? If you are, you may not need CI for the Jets games. Guardian said it, the Jets games on CI will be blacked out if you live in the Jets region.
Why the hell would games be blacked out? The building is sold out for the next 5 years... nobody is choosing to not buy a ticket and stay home.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Why the hell would games be blacked out? The building is sold out for the next 5 years... nobody is choosing to not buy a ticket and stay home.

I'm assuming he means the games on CI will be blacked out because there will be a local feed for all the games, available to Manitoba's region only (including parts of NW Ontario and Saskatchewan).

Old
07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
I was at the cabin in Kenora this weekend and 1290 was loud and clear.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post

Has nothing to do with attendance...regional rights. Not sure about TSN Jets but for the Sportsnet regions if you want to watch your favourite team and you are out of their area (ie. Me in Alberta) then the only way to watch the Canucks on SN is to buy the CI package. TSN national games and CBC is obviously available to everyone.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
dochaliday
Rookie User

1-I guarantee not all 82 games will be broadcast locally so if you want to catch most games you WILL NEED CI (keep in mind a small percentage of games have no TV coverage). Don't expect TSN to show 50+ Jets games unless they add a Jet's only channel the way Sportsnet did with the Oilers and Flames. If not then 20-25 is more likely(I'm only guessing of course).
2-CI will black out all Winnipeg games which we can pick up locally on TSN or CBC, they WILL NOT black out games which are not locally available.
3-Before we lost the Jets CBC did not show all Saturday games because of their desire to get the Toronto Make beliefs on every weekend, so I don't think it is guaranteed that all 18 Saturday games this year will be shown (though I do belive most will).

Old
07-25-2011, 09:44 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochaliday View Post
1-I guarantee not all 82 games will be broadcast locally so if you want to catch most games you WILL NEED CI (keep in mind a small percentage of games have no TV coverage). Don't expect TSN to show 50+ Jets games unless they add a Jet's only channel the way Sportsnet did with the Oilers and Flames. If not then 20-25 is more likely(I'm only guessing of course).
2-CI will black out all Winnipeg games which we can pick up locally on TSN or CBC, they WILL NOT black out games which are not locally available.
3-Before we lost the Jets CBC did not show all Saturday games because of their desire to get the Toronto Make beliefs on every weekend, so I don't think it is guaranteed that all 18 Saturday games this year will be shown (though I do belive most will).
It's tough for anyone to guarantee that not all 82 games will be televised locally. I don't have the quote handy but Jim Ludlow had said it is his belief that in the first season all 82 would be televised.

What are you basing your guarantee on?

EDIT: I'm attatching an article stating that there is a "good chance" all 82 will be televised. And that is TNSE working assumption.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...124337109.html

Last edited by wpgsilver: 07-25-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old
07-26-2011, 07:06 AM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I was at the cabin in Kenora this weekend and 1290 was loud and clear.
Funny because .... 1290 is not listenable after 10 pm in Lac Du Bonnett area at the cottage. Even OB isn't that great.

That part of my issue with 1290 some I have to listen to and won't be able to see.

How about satelite radio will 1290 be available that way ?

Closed Thread