HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew MacIntyre

Old
07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
Well, the Canucks gave a 3rd round pick for Lapierre, so he was worth something. At the end of the day, the Ducks have a 3rd and we're left with nothing. Not great asset management.
We got Festerling and a 5th, Fersterling turned into MacIntyre whom, we let go but we signed Lawson, so even trade there. They got a 3rd for Lapierre because prices go up at the deadline.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
habfan1968

Seems to me that he chance to play in the NHL. Not a good situation in Montreal as we are set in goal with Price playing 60 ish a year. Budaj will play the rest of the games and not be pushing behind Price to get more starts. Solid number 2 type goalie. macintyre is young and will likely look for more starts etc.. not really the situation habs want.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Seems to me that he chance to play in the NHL. Not a good situation in Montreal as we are set in goal with Price playing 60 ish a year. Budaj will play the rest of the games and not be pushing behind Price to get more starts. Solid number 2 type goalie. macintyre is young and will likely look for more starts etc.. not really the situation habs want.
They are almost the same age, Budaj is 28 and will be 29 in a couple months, MacIntyre just turned 28. The difference is, Budaj is an established NHL goalie and MacIntyre is a fringe NHLer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I can't believe with the lack of goaltending depth in our organization we didn't give this guy who has a save percentage of .920 for the last FOUR years and by all accounts looked terrific saving the Bulldogs season when Stanford went down with an injury. At the very least PG should have signed this guy to a two way deal and let him push Budaj for the backup job before he just handed to him.

PG fell asleep on this one!!!
And yet, just a few post before yours, you can read :

Quote:
The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Habís system.

"I was pretty frustrated with that signing," he said from his home in PEI.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
AllCanadienFan

So both Mac and Curtis are gone the Dogs two MVP's for the past year. I get in trouble when I say the Habs don't care about the Dogs but this is a great example of it. If they can't give Mac the chance he wants fair game but Curtis would have gladly come back and been a great help to any young goalie as well as a positive force in the dressing room.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-to-nhl-dreams

Drew MacIntyre has signed a deal with the Buffalo Sabres; he'll be fighting for a spot as Ryan Miller's backup.

The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Habís system.

"I was pretty frustrated with that signing," he said from his home in PEI.
Guess he'll be even more frustrated with this one: SABRES SIGN G ENROTH TO MULTI-YEAR DEAL AS BACK-UP TO MILLER

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Lapierre asked to be moved and he's not exactly what we are missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So letting go a guy who put up 9 points in 65 regular season and playoff games after leaving was a huge mistake?

Wait while I regain my composure. I have no problem with Lapierre as #4 center, but he wasn't happy with that role. We can find more skilled option on the 3rd line(Eller AK Desharnais etc).
Of course we can agree on that, if that's the direction the team wants to go, that's legitimate. He did not ''fit'' here .... but I always saw 2 problems with this analysis and the way he was dealt with (by JM) and bashed here;

1 - that doesn't change the fact that some teams will be right to go down with max as a 3rd line player (ie : cup finalists) for what he will bring on that particular team. He's not a fit here, doesn't mean the guy can't play.

2- there is a problem with waisting picks every year for a 3rd liner (especially if that dude is not skilled, like you suggested), No one here is saying lapierre was our saviour... but on the other hand, seeing all those ''good riddance'' ... well then what ? trade a 2nd rounder for a lesser player ( rental ) and because he won't be called Max Lapierre he's going to be just fine? Imo JM should have given him 5mins more TOI/game ... mainly on the PK and we would have had a great bottom liner for the next 5 years (moreso if you never intended to keep pyatt, and overused him). Right now there is a hole in this team, and there won't be enough competition during trainning camp, and that's the real issue to me, especially if you intend to have a lot of young players. there were plenty of sustainable solutions available, but PG and JM passed on them. (ie : moore)

and please ... no one is knocking at the door other than those who will be in the lineup. Palush-eye maybe ... but I swear I saw kristo in some lineups here ... I mean the guy can't freakin tie his winter boots properly...give me a break.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 07-21-2011 at 06:59 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
I think he could've outplayed Budaj easily. Guy's still young and was a wall with the Bulldogs. Budaj is a total scrub. We could've given a chance to MacIntyre in the pre-season to see whether he has what it takes and then sign a goalie in the 800k-1.2m range from the FA if he wouldn't perform well (I honestly think there are still better options than Budaj out there).

This..............

All we had to do was tell MacIntyre that the backup position in Montreal was his to lose. Just play better than Budaj in the preseason and the job is yours.

But............that did not happen. Another in the long list of trades for nothing and mismanagement of assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Did PG fall asleep, or did four different organizations all fail to see something in MacIntyre to make him worth holding onto when he was posting those .920 save percentages? Usually when a guy bounces around like that despite putting up what appear to be solid numbers, there's a reason.

Tim Thomas anyone? He was all over the place and look at what he has become.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I also was thinking the Habs were out of their mind.

Then they signed Lawson who's a great AHL Goalie & if Budaj stinks, then Lawson can sit on the bench and play 8 games. No Sweat, Price is a Thoroughbred anyway...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
CTHabsfan

Aren't we talking about someone who is 28 years old and has played only 61 minutes in the NHL?

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
I also was thinking the Habs were out of their mind.

Then they signed Lawson who's a great AHL Goalie & if Budaj stinks, then Lawson can sit on the bench and play 8 games. No Sweat, Price is a Thoroughbred anyway...
Exactly

Lawson is just as good.

If Price goes down long term we will not be able to find a replacement. The season is over. If he goes down short term, we got Budaj who should be able to hold the fort with Lawson as his backup.

Drew made the mistake of trying to get a better situation elsewhere and then choose Buffalo.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:14 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Drew made the mistake of trying to get a better situation elsewhere and then choose Buffalo.
He made a horrible decision based out of spite imo. He cut off his nose to spite his face. Enroth is the future in Buffalo or a great trading chip. The only reason he was in the AHL was to give him playing time, otherwise he would have spent more time in Buffalo, they called him up when Miller needed a rest.

Lalime was there as Miller's practice buddy, not as the backup.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Give me a break. For every Tim Thomas that proves the scouts wrong, there are thousands that prove them right. He's the exception, not the rule.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:36 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
He made a horrible decision based out of spite imo. He cut off his nose to spite his face. Enroth is the future in Buffalo or a great trading chip. The only reason he was in the AHL was to give him playing time, otherwise he would have spent more time in Buffalo, they called him up when Miller needed a rest.

Lalime was there as Miller's practice buddy, not as the backup.
I agree. Don't see an opportunity to play in Buffalo. He'd have been better off playing for the isles farm team or the panthers. Any team that's shallow in goaltending. Buffalo!? That's worse than Montreal.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
If Price goes down long term we will not be able to find a replacement. The season is over.
Which is another reason that I listed in the "most complete lineup" thread for thinking we are less balanced than in 2010. We no longer have a situation where we have Price in the wings if Halak got hurt.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Please and for every Tim Thomas there are 50 other goalies that continue to bounce around the minors and euro leagues until they retire.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I agree. Don't see an opportunity to play in Buffalo. He'd have been better off playing for the isles farm team or the panthers. Any team that's shallow in goaltending. Buffalo!? That's worse than Montreal.
Actually the Isles have probably the deepest NHL calibre goalie pools, they've got between 4-5 NHL readyish goalies.

Last edited by macavoy: 07-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old
07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Exactly

Lawson is just as good.

If Price goes down long term we will not be able to find a replacement. The season is over. If he goes down short term, we got Budaj who should be able to hold the fort with Lawson as his backup.

Lawson will be 28 in Sept. has played 10 NHL games (1 win, 4 losses, 2 OT losses, 4.06 - .893 %)

Budaj will be 29 in Sept. Has played 242 NHL games (101 wins, 91 losses, 27 OT, 2.83 - .901 %)

So Lawson is just as good ????

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Actually the Isles have probably the deepest NHL calibre goalie pols, they've got between 4-5 NHL readyish goalies.
I beg to differ.

Kevin Poulin
Al Montoya
Nathan Lawson
Rick DiPietro
Mikko Koskinen

Old
07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
macavoy

Quote:
I beg to differ.

Kevin Poulin
Al Montoya
Nathan Lawson
Rick DiPietro
Mikko Koskinen
Your also leaving out Nabokov. But remove Koskinen & Lawson and they are all basically NHL calibre goalies. Poulin is probably the best long term solution but he'll be better served with another year in the AHL.

Montoya will likely steal the starters job from DiPietro if they move Nabokov.

I don't get how you don't claim that isn't a deep pool of goalies, I'd take all of Poulin, Montoya, DiPeitro, Nabokov over Peter Budaj.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Your also leaving out Nabokov. But remove Koskinen & Lawson and they are all basically NHL calibre goalies. Poulin is probably the best long term solution but he'll be better served with another year in the AHL.

Montoya will likely steal the starters job from DiPietro if they move Nabokov.

I don't get how you don't claim that isn't a deep pool of goalies, I'd take all of Poulin, Montoya, DiPeitro, Nabokov over Peter Budaj.
Nabakov isn't listed because he said he wouldn't report to the isles, therefore he cant be included on the Isles roster.

Montoya is complete bust. Since being drafted 6th he's basically had no NHL experience what so ever.
DiPietro HAD potential but that was a long time ago and has since barely played in the NHL.
Poulin has potential but as yet, no real NHL experience save for 10 games.

If you'd prefer this rag team group of goalies over Budaj at $1.15MM then that's your prerogative. I'll take the backup with over 240 NHL games played vs their 3 back ups who have a combined total of 46 games between the 3 of them.

On their team I think Budaj would be their starter and MacIntyre would be 2nd or 3rd on their depth chart. Much better then what they have right now IMO.

If you like their scrubs, you can keep them.

Last edited by shutehinside: 07-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old
07-25-2011, 09:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
He made a horrible decision based out of spite imo. He cut off his nose to spite his face.
That's my take on it as well. His agent should have given him better advice, cause now it just looks stupid to sign with the Sabres (and one of the Dogs main rivals) I personally was impressed with what I saw from MacIntyre and hate to see him go especially if Budaj stinks it up as it would have opened a door for him to backup Price easier then he has it now. Oh well, too bad cause now the Dogs are going to have face him several times so hopefully it doesn't burn us but it was his choice to leave so good luck to him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Nabakov isn't listed because he said he wouldn't report to the isles, therefore he cant be included on the Isles roster.
For what it's worth, Nabokov says he intends on playing for the Islanders this year.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote