HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Do you miss John Davidson?

Old
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Joe sucks....JD was great.

We need Kevin Weekes.
I think we should definitely bring Weekes in more as well. Even if its just Hockey Night Live, but if somehow we can get him into the broadcast booth...

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
jd was great...but hes gone...hes been gone for a long while...time to move on kiddies. I think Michelleti has been fantastic....its not easy replacing one of the greatest of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The idiotic hate toward Joe continues to be ridiculous. He's easily a top 10 color guy in the league, if not better. Who doesn't miss JD? He's the best, but you gotta move on and face facts.
Honestly, all the yearning for JD that's still out there starts to make me like JD less. That's the only annoying part of our color guy situation.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
hockeygoon15

I even miss JD. That man had a gift for calling games, and the chemistry he had with Sam was something rare.

Joe is a B+ announcer in my personal opinion. If you don't believe me watch some Center Ice games and you'll quickly get a feel for how good he is (watch a Penguins game and you'll be thanking the hockey gods for Joe every day). JD left some big shoes to fill, and I think he's doing an excellent job. I mean hell, if you guys don't like Joe we'll take him back and you're welcome to have Butch.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by the zamboni View Post
He's got more knowledge of the game in his little finger than you could ever dream of...
yeah the finger holding the paper given to him by an MSG statistician.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
I even miss JD. That man had a gift for calling games, and the chemistry he had with Sam was something rare.

Joe is a B+ announcer in my personal opinion. If you don't believe me watch some Center Ice games and you'll quickly get a feel for how good he is (watch a Penguins game and you'll be thanking the hockey gods for Joe every day). JD left some big shoes to fill, and I think he's doing an excellent job. I mean hell, if you guys don't like Joe we'll take him back and you're welcome to have Butch.
I'll do Joe for Howie, that's the only swap we're interested in.

But I agree. Joe is a fine color guy even though he can be a little annoying sometimes. People just don't realize that there's much, MUCH worse out there.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Never got to hear him live. But just by watching old clips... JD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe
Really? thats a shame, it really is. Because what made JD so great wasnt just his incredible color commentating but his relaxed fun-loving personality - you could tell he really loved his job, especially when it was alongside Sam. It was the little moments of laughter they had together- it came to a point like it was just the viewer and them hanging out together watching a game. All that was missing was a beer.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
RangerBlues

JD is DA MAN! Wish he was still here.

I believe he wanted a more influential role with the organization and he was not taken seriously.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Really? thats a shame, it really is. Because what made JD so great wasnt just his incredible color commentating but his relaxed fun-loving personality - you could tell he really loved his job, especially when it was alongside Sam. It was the little moments of laughter they had together- it came to a point like it was just the viewer and them hanging out together watching a game. All that was missing was a beer.
Thats extremely well said.

While Michelleti is an adequate color guy, the rapport between him and Sam is downright awkward multiple times per telecast - its been 5 years now, so I doubt that changes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If the Blues dont turn this around soon, I wouldnt be surprised if they let JD go and he comes back to MSG with open arms.

I'm done with Micheletti. The guy has zero chemistry with Sam.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:42 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I wish JD was back for this year.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I think Joe definitely knows his stuff better than the majority of color commentators out there. He does make you feel awkward with some comments though...

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:59 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO KA BOOM View Post
Maybe one of his kids will take his place! (i vaguely remember him having a son or two that are into broadcasting)

I grew up listening to JD and Sam, miss hearing him on the t.v.

Or maybe I just miss being young and having no responsibilities.
Haha, very possible im in your boat pal.

Regarding what HBNY said about sam and jd cracking jokes and basically hanging out with them, man I miss those moments when JD roared laughing and the times the two of them couldn't control themselves. Great times. Sometimes paul oneill and michael kay get like that on yankees telecasts.

On a serious note and im stunned nobody brought this up, who else would kill to have maloney move to tv. Guy is intelligent, well spoken and probably the only guy working for MSG who seems not to be afraid to criticize the team.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

While i would welcome Sam and JD back in a heartbeat, i feel like they had their time and it was a special time. Its like an entity that has passed on.

Lets face it, Sammy's getting old, he isnt as sharp. JD is going to continue to build his Blues team - hes not the quitting type. But hey who knows a reunion would be great, but i dont expect it because JDs a stand up guy and he would never take Joe Ms job away from him.

That being said... how many years before Sam decides to hangem up? Turning 64 this month - hes got to be getting tired of the travel, etc, especially when you throw football in the mix. If i had to guess it would be a few years, i just think he loves his job, specifically the Rangers, too much to quit. Its a tough thing retiring. I'm watching my father go through it right now. Its incredibly bittersweet with unstoppable moments of reflection. A very emotional time... anyway - im going off on a tangent here.

Old
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrelle Lundqvist View Post
I think Joe definitely knows his stuff better than the majority of color commentators out there. He does make you feel awkward with some comments though...
Not as convinced as you are...

Old
07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
While i would welcome Sam and JD back in a heartbeat, i feel like they had their time and it was a special time. Its like an entity that has passed on.

Lets face it, Sammy's getting old, he isnt as sharp. JD is going to continue to build his Blues team - hes not the quitting type. But hey who knows a reunion would be great, but i dont expect it because JDs a stand up guy and he would never take Joe Ms job away from him.

That being said... how many years before Sam decides to hangem up? Turning 64 this month - hes got to be getting tired of the travel, etc, especially when you throw football in the mix. If i had to guess it would be a few years, i just think he loves his job, specifically the Rangers, too much to quit. Its a tough thing retiring. I'm watching my father go through it right now. Its incredibly bittersweet with unstoppable moments of reflection. A very emotional time... anyway - im going off on a tangent here.
Not an unwarranted tangent. You're right. My father is approaching retirement too. While he would love for it to be sooner than later it still has been a time of reflection. Retiring is a big step. Sam definitely loves his job. He loves calling the game and being around it. He seems to have great relationships with the players; he's always speaking with them before games for quick comments. He's got a great job, play-by-play guy for a team he loves. Original 6 team in the world's most famous arena (which he usually opens most rangers home games or used to at least). Hard to walk away from.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I guess joking is frowned upon in this place, good to know. ( lol at the mod that deleted my post)

Yeah JD was the best color guy in any sport.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think it would be much more interesting if teams got former coaches to go into the broadcast booth, rather than the former players who seem to get those jobs more often.
I think Keenan has a terrible personality for broadcasts, but he DOES offer some interesting comments sometimes. More coaches should go into broadcasting.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Also, as someone stated above, if/when Sam retires, we better poach Howie from the Islanders.

I think the only reason he is sticking around is because he wants Sam's job when he hangs up his mic. He's quite obviously miserable over there. He's a huge Rangers fan, and an excellent play by play guy.

Old
07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vengeance View Post
It must be past my bedtime because I read the subject three times thinking, "why is someone asking the Rangers board if we miss Joy Division?"
I've been trying really hard to think of a Joy Division song title that I could turn into a pun, but I got nothing.

Of course I miss JD. Oh baby! I'd love to have seen him groomed for upper management for the rangers instead of eventually losing him as we did.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Ola

I miss him. Its very rare that you actually get a knowledgebel guy in the both. I assume the networks are looking to find someone who can speak to the casual fan, and thats what you get.

Thats why I miss the JD types, they do not annoy you. The veterans, you know what you get.

Then I don't mind on the odd occasion to like listen to people with special insight, like a Neil Smith or someone like that. But more often than not, a guy like John M and co, who really have not been around the game in like 30 years, make pretty odd comments...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
jd was great...but hes gone...hes been gone for a long while...time to move on kiddies. I think Michelleti has been fantastic....its not easy replacing one of the greatest of all time.
I agree with this. I also think the Rangers future broadcast team will be Howie Rose and Dave Maloney. If not Howie then Kenny Albert.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
JD was a rare gem. But those who are killing Joe have obviously never lived in other parts of the country and had to listen to the local color guy. Joe is one of the better analysts out there today. And a damn good replacement for JD.

07-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
I agree with this. I also think the Rangers future broadcast team will be Howie Rose and Dave Maloney.
This would be outstanding. I'd love Maloney but not sure he'd last very long, he may be a little too outspoken for his own good.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I have been a fan of JD's since that fantastic run on basically one knee to the finals in 78-79

he was the definition of clutch

anything after that remarkable performance was simply gravy

I was happy to see him return to his STL roots as it was the blues who drafted him.

It would be welcome news to see him take over the NYR after Sather leaves

some great clips from that marvelous run especially that game 3 which is when JD was run and hit in the mask, which apparently resulted in the Foreigner song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

"double vision"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIifT9Yi44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrRl-nvGRhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYdVaqO5fdM

Last edited by donpaulo: 07-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.
donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

We've been through this before.

Over time Davidson became a blow hard that ruined Sam Rosen by making believe that they were two guys sitting on a coach talking about everything except the game in front of them. It was embarrassing watching highlights and hearing them ignore the game they were supposed to be announcing.

Fans didn't turn the sound down and put Marv on the radio for nothing.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote