HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Hometown Analysis Blog] Taking A Look: Northeast Division

Old
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 500
Awards:
[Hometown Analysis Blog] Taking A Look: Northeast Division

When a team begins to work on their bottom six, they usually look for a few key factors;

a. Player should be defensively reliable.
b. Player should have size.
c. Player should play with some grit.

More specifically, if a player is on the fourth line, he should have the points mentioned above as well as the ability to throw big hits, drop the gloves when needed and most importantly, have an intimidating presence. These traits make a very solid player in a bottom six role.

Read more here: Full Blog

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:

"This past friday, the Montreal Canadiens came to terms with restricted free agent defenseman, Josh Gorges. Josh Gorges was set for arbitration on July 28.

The contract Gorges signed was one year, $2.5 million.

Last season, Josh Gorges played a mere 36 games, finishing with one goal and six assists, before being side-lined by a knee injury. Josh Gorges was averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time. It was a game in Long Island, that saw Gorges leave the ice in pain, and not return for the rest of the year."

Read the full article: Click Here

Here's to hoping I get some feedback this time!

Old
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Iwishihadacup

Nice article, but i think this contract is about value, it was really hard to precisely evaluate Gorges' value at the end of his contract so i think they signed this deal to re-evaluate his value at the middle of next season

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Never worried about Josh, a Canadian! He will play hard until the legs fall out. Markov is the question mark?

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:53 PM
neofury*

Pretty much agree with the entire blog/post. I think it was a very smart decision as I explained in the Confirmed with link thread.

Basically for similar reasoning. Plus I think Josh would want to stay here. He strikes me as a guy who believes in this team and the management and wants to win the cup here, not just in any other city. I think he believes in us and himself. You need players of his caliber at least one and he's one of the best players like that in the league imo.

I'm not saying he's Chara/Pronger, but when compared to similar players Josh plays D with the best of them. He won't contribute offensively and it's just something you need to accept when having a player like that. It isn't all about offense, Gill and Gorges are more important than people realize, in defense and leadership.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Pretty much agree with the entire blog/post. I think it was a very smart decision as I explained in the Confirmed with link thread.

Basically for similar reasoning. Plus I think Josh would want to stay here. He strikes me as a guy who believes in this team and the management and wants to win the cup here, not just in any other city. I think he believes in us and himself. You need players of his caliber at least one and he's one of the best players like that in the league imo.

I'm not saying he's Chara/Pronger, but when compared to similar players Josh plays D with the best of them. He won't contribute offensively and it's just something you need to accept when having a player like that. It isn't all about offense, Gill and Gorges are more important than people realize, in defense and leadership.
I really dont get why people think that (and lots seems to believe this), the guy plays with heart and shown leadership... doesnt mean he wants to be a Habs forever...

LOTS of players with those qualities signed with different teams once they hit UFA status...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:46 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I always thought he'd get around 2.5-2.75 over 3-4 years, I thought that going back as far as this time last year.

So given the amount the cap has gone up, I'd say we got good value on him in terms of dollars but the total years on the contract is low. I guess it gives both parties more time to evaluate what he can bring going forward and go from there. I don't have a problem with it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:

When it comes to the Montreal Canadiens, their fans attempt to remain optimistic by taking a "glass half full" approach. While I tend to do somewhat the same, I also glance at the "glass half empty" side of things, in order to have a more realistic approach to things.

This year, with the addition of Cole into the top 6, Gorges coming back for another year and Auld being replaced by Peter Budaj, it has led fans to believe that this may be the most complete team the Habs will ice in the last five seasons. With Cole's size and even strength production and Budaj possibly playing more games than Auld, to give Price more of a "relaxed" season, the Habs have indeed improved in some ways.

That's the "glass half full" approach. The other side of the coin leads to many question marks, from the top six, all the way down to the goaltending duo. Here are some questions that I ask myself, and of course, the answers won't be given until the season starts and we see for ourselves.

Thanks for the feedback on the last article, guys. Much appreciated!

Old
07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

I like him alot as 4/5ish a solid role player

2.5-2.75 is very fair fo him

I think he tests ufa next summer and truthfully if some team wants to stupidly overpay let him go ...you cant pay Josh 4 ish money

this is the kind of money Kronwall will get on his next deal ...Josh is a lsightly better than average defensman

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I like him alot as 4/5ish a solid role player

2.5-2.75 is very fair fo him

I think he tests ufa next summer and truthfully if some team wants to stupidly overpay let him go ...you cant pay Josh 4 ish money

this is the kind of money Kronwall will get on his next deal ...Josh is a lsightly better than average defensman
Like I said before, the most I can see him getting from PG is a 3-4 year deal, at max $3 million per year. Not that he's worth more, but I see him getting that type of deal offered by PG. He could easily get $4 million on the open market.

Hell, I'd be okay throwing Spacek's contract right to Gorges.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Hell, I'd be okay throwing Spacek's contract right to Gorges.
I wouldn't. Spacek's contract was too expensive. I don't see why we'd go straight back into overpaying another that has a very limited skillset.

As for your blog, I don't really see the purpose of your last article. You can question every single player of every team in the very same manner you did with ours.

I think there's a way to question things. Having doubts about injuries is one thing, I understand this, but wondering how Cole will perform with Plek?..If Cammy is going to perform since Cole will be there?..Can Gill be the same slow sprawling dude??..Can Gomez bounce back from a career low year??..Those aren't really questions you should be asking yourself. Shall we also wonder if PK can continue his progression? if Gionta can score about 30 again?..

Will Markov's knee finally be healed? I understand that. But MaxPac and Gorges, have not gone through a series of injuries one after the other that limited them to 60 games since April 09 (almost two years and a half when camp will start). I'm not worried about them getting back into shape.

But Cole, Cammy, Gill and Gomez have no reason to be doubted. Why would Cole not perform? Why wouldn't Cammy?..Gill or Gomez?? There is no reason for them to do bad.

You should not have doubts about our top 6. For the first time in years, we have one going into camp. I don't think that's looking with a glass half empty, I feel it's you forcing doubts.

Markov and Emelin I can agree, bottom six, somewhat as well, other than that, I don't think there's much to worry about.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:01 AM
habitue*

According to a Montreal Gazette article today, Gorges wanted a longer term contract and is a bit disappointed to get only a one-year deal... But he understands Habs' management decision which want to see how his knee will hold up.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Good to take a cautious wait-and-see approach to Gorges. His game relies totally on nimble mobility and positioning, if a weak knee throws his range and timing off he's a very ordinary and replaceable player.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
According to a Montreal Gazette article today, Gorges wanted a longer term contract and is a bit disappointed to get only a one-year deal... But he understands Habs' management decision which want to see how his knee will hold up.
Ya, he also said he feels we have a cup contender team, but hey, what does he know.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
shamrun

http://www.ckac.com/audioplayer.php?mp3=107175

If you want you can listen to bits and pieces of his press conference here.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't. Spacek's contract was too expensive. I don't see why we'd go straight back into overpaying another that has a very limited skillset.
Can't really see this as an overpayment. Salary cap will probably go up again after this upcoming season and the raise is slightly over $1 million more then what he makes. Unless you see the $2.5 he is making now as an overpayment. By the way, I meant the raise in money and years, only if he shows he can play just as good, if not better than the way he played before.

Quote:
As for your blog, I don't really see the purpose of your last article. You can question every single player of every team in the very same manner you did with ours.

I think there's a way to question things. Having doubts about injuries is one thing, I understand this, but wondering how Cole will perform with Plek?..If Cammy is going to perform since Cole will be there?..Can Gill be the same slow sprawling dude??..Can Gomez bounce back from a career low year??..Those aren't really questions you should be asking yourself. Shall we also wonder if PK can continue his progression? if Gionta can score about 30 again?..

Will Markov's knee finally be healed? I understand that. But MaxPac and Gorges, have not gone through a series of injuries one after the other that limited them to 60 games since April 09 (almost two years and a half when camp will start). I'm not worried about them getting back into shape.

But Cole, Cammy, Gill and Gomez have no reason to be doubted. Why would Cole not perform? Why wouldn't Cammy?..Gill or Gomez?? There is no reason for them to do bad.
I think it's fair to wonder if Cammy will get to the 30-35 goal mark, because he does go into cold streaks at times, and it did look like his pace slowed down a step or two when he came back from that knee injury. Given, off-season gave him a lot of time to work on it and rehabilitate his knee a bit, but it still raises the question.

As for Cole, it will be a change for him. He's going from Staal to Plekanec, which is quite a big difference. I will say that Cole's use of his big frame is going to help the Habs, but it's more of a new team/coaching system that I think will affect Cole's production.

Last season, mid-way through the season, it looked like Gill was gassed. Yes, Markov was out with injury and he did play more minutes than he is used to. I'm just wondering if he still has it in him.

As for Gomez, I am on the wagon for hoping he has a rebound season. I think he will as well, but it's fair to wonder if it's possible. Ever since his big contract, this dark cloud has formed over his head, in regards to him not performing the way a $7 million dollar player should play. It's affected not only his production, but his play in general as well.

As far as Gorges is concerned, I am wondering more about how he'll play, knowing the fact that he was playing injured for several seasons and now has to adapt to playing differently. Sure, it should sound easier now, playing fully healthy. But knowing first hand myself, when you come back from an injury, that injured part of your body is never the same again.

On Max, I see your point. He is a warrior and has battled back quite quickly. I still have my worries though that he'll shy away a little from physical play and it will affect his type of game. Not that I blame the guy, as he did suffer a pretty back neck injury.

Quote:
You should not have doubts about our top 6. For the first time in years, we have one going into camp. I don't think that's looking with a glass half empty, I feel it's you forcing doubts.
I'm not forcing doubts on anybody, really. The entry was more of a "thinking out loud" type thing. I don't expect anybody to share the same worries as I do. Generally, I don't over-hype myself up the way some do. I am excited as everyone else is for the top 6 and the way it looks. But I also won't go crazy if some tend to become streaky (production and play) during the season.

Quote:
Markov and Emelin I can agree, bottom six, somewhat as well, other than that, I don't think there's much to worry about.
I hope you're right and that my question marks are erased quickly.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Ya, he also said he feels we have a cup contender team, but hey, what does he know.
And if this team doesn't win it or is far from it, do you think he's gonna stay next July 1st ?

I don't think so. Some team will throw him a 20 million / 5 year contract.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Stradale

Im a big Gorges fan but i really doubt and don't see why a team would give 4M$ for a defenseman like Gorges.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Im a big Gorges fan but i really doubt and don't see why a team would give 4M$ for a defenseman like Gorges.
Inflation, lack of supply. Every year the amount and quality of UFA's that are available go down.

With players like Fleischmann getting $4.5m, Kopecky $3m, Leino $4.5m

Then you look at dman, Hammer getting $3.5m over 2 years, Jan Hejda getting $3.25m, adding another year of inflation plus Gorges youth compared to those to.

Seeing him get $4m wouldn't be a stretch.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If Marc Methot can make 3 million + in Columbus, Gorges can make near 4 million with his defensive and leadership skills somewhere.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Can't really see this as an overpayment. Salary cap will probably go up again after this upcoming season and the raise is slightly over $1 million more then what he makes. Unless you see the $2.5 he is making now as an overpayment. By the way, I meant the raise in money and years, only if he shows he can play just as good, if not better than the way he played before.
A little over 1M in raise for Gorges represents a 50% raise. That's too much.
I think 2.5M for Gorges is the perfect salary. Anything over 3.5M and I'd prefer to walk. It'll be free agent frenzy again next season, maybe some Dmen will sign extensions before the end of the season, maybe others will re-sign before july1st, but as of today, you have guys like Jackman, Burns, Oduya, Suter, Beauchemin, Stuart, Wideman, Rozsival, Boychuk, etc.. all set to become UFAs.
If they are available, I rather overpay for them. But this is now, July 27th 2011. It can certainly change by June 2012.

Quote:
I think it's fair to wonder if Cammy will get to the 30-35 goal mark, because he does go into cold streaks at times, and it did look like his pace slowed down a step or two when he came back from that knee injury. Given, off-season gave him a lot of time to work on it and rehabilitate his knee a bit, but it still raises the question.

As for Cole, it will be a change for him. He's going from Staal to Plekanec, which is quite a big difference. I will say that Cole's use of his big frame is going to help the Habs, but it's more of a new team/coaching system that I think will affect Cole's production.

Last season, mid-way through the season, it looked like Gill was gassed. Yes, Markov was out with injury and he did play more minutes than he is used to. I'm just wondering if he still has it in him.

As for Gomez, I am on the wagon for hoping he has a rebound season. I think he will as well, but it's fair to wonder if it's possible. Ever since his big contract, this dark cloud has formed over his head, in regards to him not performing the way a $7 million dollar player should play. It's affected not only his production, but his play in general as well.

As far as Gorges is concerned, I am wondering more about how he'll play, knowing the fact that he was playing injured for several seasons and now has to adapt to playing differently. Sure, it should sound easier now, playing fully healthy. But knowing first hand myself, when you come back from an injury, that injured part of your body is never the same again.

On Max, I see your point. He is a warrior and has battled back quite quickly. I still have my worries though that he'll shy away a little from physical play and it will affect his type of game. Not that I blame the guy, as he did suffer a pretty back neck injury.
My point with Cammy is that it doesn't really matter if he does't get to 30-35. If these past two years have shown us anything is that individual performances are way less important than the overall team's performance. If our top line scores at their career average pace, then Cammy should get around 29, Plek 22 and Cole 25. That is a production I'm very comfortable with. Even if it's slightly less, with Plek getting 20 and Cammy 25, it's still pretty good. Injuries can happen, they are unpredictable at this point however. Point being, we should have a stronger top line compared to last year. There is no doubt about it.
Also, Cammy certainly didn't appear to have slowed down in the POs.

People have a hard time grasping that goal scorers have droughts. Unless you are Ovechkin and can score 65goals, then you will go through cold streaks. Happens to every goal scorer in the NHL. Expect the same from Cole. He had 5goals in his first 28 games last year. Only superstars don't go through long slumps like that, that's why they are the cream of the crop.
If you are going to question whether or not Cole can adapt to his new team, then do the same for every player that changed teams during this summer. I don't see why it would be any different for anybody. I'm not concerned about this at all. No reason to doubt whether or not he'll be capable of doing it.

As for Gill, I'm not a fan of this signature. He's a PK specialist, it's that simple. The man should not play more than 18min per game. He is probably the slowest player in the NHL, isn't great defensively at ES, and brings nothing to the table regarding transitional/offensive skills. This will come down to how Martin will use him, and what role does he see him in this year. Thankfully, our D has gotten faster generally speaking. Markov-Gorges-Weber-Emelin-PK are all good skaters (reports say so for Emelin), we shall see how affected Markov-Gorges knees are, but I'm confident in their ability to bounce back.

Gomez will never produce at his 7M contract pace. But most fans expect him to at least go back to his 50ish pt mark. I argued all of last season that Gomez needed two wingers to be successful. It's irrelevant if any fan thinks he shouldn't need that seeing how he's paid that much, the reality of it is he needs two solid wingers.
Gio-Gom-Max was a perfect combination because they complete each other perfectly. One playmaker, one gritty sniper and one PF. It doesn't get better in terms of matchmaking (we have kind of the same line match with Plek-Cammy-Cole).
I think MathMan's and Olivier's observations and analysis over the season were spot on and reflected my own personal vision of Gomez. It simply was an off year, much like Plekanec's a couple years ago.

As for Gorges, I'm wonder how he'll bounce back too. Doesn't mean there's much to be concerned about. Shall we be concerned about Eller too? DD?..Are we going to be concerned every time a player gets injured?...Gorges should be back to his old self.
I understand that it's never the same, having gone through it myself as well, I agree. However, this doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Quote:
I'm not forcing doubts on anybody, really. The entry was more of a "thinking out loud" type thing. I don't expect anybody to share the same worries as I do. Generally, I don't over-hype myself up the way some do. I am excited as everyone else is for the top 6 and the way it looks. But I also won't go crazy if some tend to become streaky (production and play) during the season.
I expect our goal scorers to keep being streaky. That's what happens throughout the league. This time around however, we have the luxury of hoping that when one goes cold, the other can keep putting some in. In the previous years, when one got cold, Martin had to shuffle lines up and bring in role players like Darche. This time around, if Cole goes cold for a few games, well, he can always switch it up and put MaxPac there, or AK, or whatever other combination he sees fit with top 6 players.
We won't have to resort to putting scrappers there anymore (unless we get hit with the injury bug again and lose a couple top 6 players simultaneously).

The reason why I say people overdo it with concern and questioning, is because most of these questions could be applied to every NHL team. There isn't one team that starts camp/season without any question. But I feel we force the questioning some times. Like wondering about Gill or Cole. To me that's irrelevant.

The only two players I really need to question and wonder about is Markov or Emelin.

Quote:
I hope you're right and that my question marks are erased quickly.
I certainly hope so too!

Old
07-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:

With Andrei Markov and Josh Gorges signed up for the season, Erik Cole added into the top six mix, filling in quite a few needs, and throw in Peter Budaj as Price's back-up, and we have ourselves quite a nice looking team.

Today, we take a look into the Northeast division and see how the other four teams did at free agency, this year. Who did they sign? Who did they let go? Most importantly, are the Montreal Canadiens able to stand with these teams, battle it out and come out on top? Or did the other four teams improve well enough, to give Montreal a tough season to battle through.

On a special note, thank you Kriss E. I really enjoy the in depth conversation that you offer and I can understand your view. I always love hearing different views on topics that I talk about.