HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Byron Bitz to a 1-Year, $700,000 Deal (Two-Way)

Old
07-26-2011, 03:19 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
My biggest question is, hows his skating?

Its a kind of curious move. Bitz has 2 inches on Oreskovich and comes in at the same weight while registering near the same amount of hits per game. Is Bitz more of a fighter compared to Oreskovich (who isn't a good one)? Seems like these two RHS will battle it out for 4th line RW while the other gets to watch.
Looks decent:

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
A rush move?, I ain't asking for a rush move, I am looking for a smart move to get a legit player to play with kesler. If he gets him now, thats great, if he gets him in a month, that's great.

If he does NOT get one this offseason, then I have a huge problem
Expecting it to happen in the offseason is expecting a rush job.

Go ahead and have your problem at the trade deadline. Any sooner is just being childish.

Gillis is a patient GM and he will wait for the right moment.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Wisp

Anyways the reason for this: fill the fourth line hole, and establish a big pool of big forwards who could perhaps establish themselves as a goal scoring threats. Gillis wants a power forward bad, and he's not had any luck. So he's drafted and signed as many big men as he can with hopes one of them will grab the reins and establish themselves in the NHL.

Not a terrible plan.

Worst case scenario is they're big and banging fourth liners.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post

Go ahead and have your problem at the trade deadline. Any sooner is just being childish.

While I would agree that some Canucks fans are showing impatience, waiting to overpay for a Top 6 forward at the deadline doesn't strike me as the soundest phillosophy, nor does it seem like a plan Gillis is likely to employ based on both past remarks and actions.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
While I would agree that some Canucks fans are showing impatience, waiting to overpay for a Top 6 forward at the deadline doesn't strike me as the soundest phillosophy, nor does it seem like a plan Gillis is likely to employ based on both past remarks and actions.
There's two sides to every overpayment, the side overpaying, and the side that's getting overpaid.

It's entirely possible someone gives us something rediculous for one of our goalies or someone else at the trade deadline.

I don't think Gillis is the one who gets swindled, but I can see him doing it to another desperate GM who needs to shore up his goaltending for a playoff push pr whatwver.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post

Sounds like Nonis.

I think this need for a 2nd line winger to play with Kesler is almost entirely a fan fabrication. Yes Kesler basically carried the 2nd line by himself last year but we had one of the best offenses in the league (most goals for). BOTH of Kesler's wingers in Sammy and Raymond had what most would consider "off years". Behind those two Higgins also was showing some chemistry with Kesler before his broken foot in the playoffs. Not to mention the addition of Sturm gives another option. That's 4 realistic options for 2nd line wingers but there is unlikely scenario where Hodgson is ready for top 6 duties out of camp.

Yes people will still rant for a more physical option. Yes the Boston bruins were a 'tougher' team but I don't think Gillis is going to model Boston just because they won it all last year. MG has his own pretty good model that I'm certain he intends to stick to.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I think this need for a 2nd line winger to play with Kesler is almost entirely a fan fabrication.
I disagree with this for 2 reasons...

1. Gillis has alluded to the fact he's looking for a 2nd line player and said he wants someone considered 'great'.

2. The way the Canucks distribute icetime makes it very important that the top 6 carry the offensive burden. With Malhotra playing the toughest minutes in the NHL among forwards and a 4th line centred by a checker in Lapierre it's up to the Sedins and Kesler to score a ton with the quality offensive minutes they get. With how strong of a player Kesler is the 2nd line didn't produce enough last year and though a lot of that can be attributed to Raymond and Samuelsson's health there will be the same issues next year with Raymond coming off the most serious injury of his professional career.

The only fan fabrication I see is the notion that the 2nd line wing addition will have to play a power game. As if a Martin St. Louis wouldn't be a much better acquisition than a Stewart, Backes, Morrow, Doan or the like...

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

1. Gillis has alluded to the fact he's looking for a 2nd line player and said he wants someone considered 'great'.

2. The way the Canucks distribute icetime makes it very important that the top 6 carry the offensive burden. With Malhotra playing the toughest minutes in the NHL among forwards and a 4th line centred by a checker in Lapierre it's up to the Sedins and Kesler to score a ton with the quality offensive minutes they get. With how strong of a player Kesler is the 2nd line didn't produce enough last year and though a lot of that can be attributed to Raymond and Samuelsson's health there will be the same issues next year with Raymond coming off the most serious injury of his professional career.

The only fan fabrication I see is the notion that the 2nd line wing addition will have to play a power game. As if a Martin St. Louis wouldn't be a much better acquisition than a Stewart, Backes, Morrow, Doan or the like...
Agree with all of this, 100%.

All things being equal, I would prefer a "power forward" type as the final top six addition, but its not a requirement. Burrows, Kesler, and Samuelsson are all gritty and fiesty players who will be in the top six this year.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:

If Samuelsson is healthy then I would like to see the Canucks acquire a LW for the 2nd line. It gives AV the ability to move Burrows and Samuelsson up and down, while giving the left side some needed stability for Kesler.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Reign Nateo

Like this signing a lot. This guy will make the 4th line a lot tougher to play against. If healthy, he's a much better option than Tanner Glass. Hoping he works his way in on the 4th line.

He's not really comparable to Oreskovich, well not as much as has been thrown around. He's far more aggressive and more polished along the boards. Also has tolerable hands and will go to the net. Oreskovich doesn't have great hockey sense. He'll be in tough to make the team with this signing.

Lapierre - Bitz is 2/3rds of what could be a hard to play against 4th line.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
I think this need for a 2nd line winger to play with Kesler is almost entirely a fan fabrication.
Quote:

IMO you guys are splitting hairs.

Gillis wants a '2nd liner', and the reality is that is a 50-60 pt guy, not the 1st line player that some are looking at or even worse pie in the sky ideas like getting Parise. The great part comes via the player being near elite in some area...it could be size. St. Louis has elite puck handling which overcomes his small size for example.

Every team thinks they can 'compete' at this point so making a trade may be difficult until some dust settles and reality kicks in.

Last edited by rye&ginger: 07-26-2011 at 01:02 PM.
rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
It might be better than signing a player to zero discount deal for four to six years when they will probably earn that money for half the term..

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
It might be better than signing a player to zero discount deal for four to six years when they will probably earn that money for half the term..
If those are the two options, I'll go with option C.) None of the Above.

I think Gillis will try to make a trade in mid August. If he's incapable of doing so, he may end up making a deadline deal, but I think he'd prefer not to go that route if at all possible. The only way I see him making a "blockbuster" trade in-season is if he has distinct plans to re-sign that player before the end of the season.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Gudbranson44

lol seriously whats up with gillies signing panther rejects? somehow he makes them turn out well for you guys so I guess there's no harm in it...

regarding bitz, when he came to us at the end of 09/10 he was great!! a real physical precense we lacked. while I was in tank mode at the time, he worried me because he seemed to play with so much effort we actually won games. then he got injuried and was out for the rest of the season. and we kept tanking.

Then this training camp he re-injuried himself and didnt play one game for us.

I wish him all the best and hope he gets some nhl time with you guys. if he's back to his normal self, you will love him

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
If those are the two options, I'll go with option C.) None of the Above.

I think Gillis will try to make a trade in mid August. If he's incapable of doing so, he may end up making a deadline deal, but I think he'd prefer not to go that route if at all possible. The only way I see him making a "blockbuster" trade in-season is if he has distinct plans to re-sign that player before the end of the season.
I pretty much totally agree.

I'm just saying that aside from something wacky like trading for Jeff Carter or Mike Richards (or Ryan Smyth I guess), Gillis' only option to this point has been to sign an unrestricted free agent to some ridiculous deal.

I'd like him to make a hockey trade and I'd like to see it happen before training camp or even as things are shaking out on other rosters around the league, but I don't see too many teams in cap trouble and I doubt some established top six winger is going to find himself shuffled off some team at the end of training camp.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
alternate

Quote:
His discipline is also a positive. Bitz has only taken 10 minor penalties in 92 NHL games.

I'm not convinced this is such a positive. Ya, we don't want a 4th liner taking lazy hooking pemalties or stupid unsportsmanlikes. But when a guy is running around being physical shift after shift, he's bound to get the odd accidental elbow, charge or highstick, especially when he's 6'5" tall. And I actually want a fourth liner who pushes the edge, even if it means taking the odd roughing or instigating or cross checking. These kinds of calls can bewnefit the team if they're taken in the right way and at the right time.

I mean when Hordichuck was signed, the same thing was said about his discipline. Ended up that his lack of minor penalties wasn't a result of extraordinary discipline, but rather the result of Darcy not engaging physically AT ALL save for his scripted bouts vs other goons.

And before someone posts Hordy running over Turco, that play reinforces my point. Anyone think it was a bad minor to take? I still say this team needs a loose cannon that toes the line, even if it means taking some minor penalties. As long as they result from physical play, intimidation, or sticking up for teammates (including running the goalie) and not from stupididty or laziness, I'm okay having a fourth liner take some minors.

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Timmer44

Let's just hope what happenned to Oreskovich doesnt happen to Bitz. All gung-ho hoping to get into "10-to-15 fights", then he was caught by a massive right uppercut from Jackman which almost immediately kicked him back to the minors.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
keslerburrows

I like this signing, it'll be good dress a line of him Oreo and Lappy against Calgary/Edmonton. Heres a pretty nice goal. -

Edit: Got beat to it.

keslerburrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I'm not convinced this is such a positive. Ya, we don't want a 4th liner taking lazy hooking pemalties or stupid unsportsmanlikes. But when a guy is running around being physical shift after shift, he's bound to get the odd accidental elbow, charge or highstick, especially when he's 6'5" tall. And I actually want a fourth liner who pushes the edge, even if it means taking the odd roughing or instigating or cross checking. These kinds of calls can bewnefit the team if they're taken in the right way and at the right time.

I mean when Hordichuck was signed, the same thing was said about his discipline. Ended up that his lack of minor penalties wasn't a result of extraordinary discipline, but rather the result of Darcy not engaging physically AT ALL save for his scripted bouts vs other goons.

And before someone posts Hordy running over Turco, that play reinforces my point. Anyone think it was a bad minor to take? I still say this team needs a loose cannon that toes the line, even if it means taking some minor penalties. As long as they result from physical play, intimidation, or sticking up for teammates (including running the goalie) and not from stupididty or laziness, I'm okay having a fourth liner take some minors.
You can speculate all day about the reason why Bitz hasn't been thrown out of any games or taken (m)any majors, but the fact is that he's a huge guy who's been credited with about two hits a game in minimal ice time.

Anyone who doubts whether Bitz is a gamer can look at his fight card, the guy will go toe-to-toe with the heaviest of the heavies - including to stand up for his teammates - despite long odds at actually winning.

And for every Darcy Hordichuk (let me pause while the thought of Horny as a positive contributor sinks in...) there is a Ben Eager or a Dan Carcillo who are huge liabilities out there and cost their team games as often as they help them.

Old
07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles View Post
Eek!

I mistyped his name to a friend calling him "Blitz" but "Bitz" is an even cooler name. I approve.
Gord Miller of TSN called him Ritz for a WHOLE game one night.

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Sounds like Nonis.

Doesn't sound like Nonis or Gillis. Neither one have done anything major at the deadline in their history as Vancouver GMs.

Quote:
You mean like Burrows. No one can doubt that they have great chemistry together. They didn't have a long run at it last year, but it was certainly fun when they were. Absolutely doesn't need to be a prototypical power forward.

The major problem with the Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson line is that Kesler is consistently good when Raymond and Samuelsson are incredibly streaky. And when they (Raymond and Samuelsson) are on a bad streak, it is horrible to watch. And when they are on good streaks, it's almost never at the same time.

Kesler needs at least 1 guy on that line who is consistently good. Doesn't even need to be great. Just good, but consistent at it. And Sturm is not.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Kesler needs at least 1 guy on that line who is consistently good. Doesn't even need to be great. Just good, but consistent at it. And Sturm is not.
You pretty much used a phrase that describes Sturm perfectly and then claimed that it's not Sturm. Puzzling.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:18 AM
TroubaFan1

Hate this move! This guys is just more trash Gillis has been signing this off season. I accually hate this more then the Sturm sigining and I really dislike Sturm!

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Hockeyfan68

Bruins fans weren't happy to see him get traded but it is the business. You guys won't be disappointed, he'll be a fan fave very quickly.

Huge guy and he plays extremely hard and hits anything very hard AND showed some skill here in Beantown.

Also to the gentleman not happy with signing Sturm .... not sure how his knee is. It was bad enough for the bruins to unload him BUT he is a really good goalscorer and makes the best goal scoring faces the NHL has ever seen lol. I called him "The Sturminator".

Fan favorite who gives his all always. One of the few players who can score with a slapshot from out a bit of way off the wing left in the league.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Bruins fans weren't happy to see him get traded but it is the business. You guys won't be disappointed, he'll be a fan fave very quickly.

Huge guy and he plays extremely hard and hits anything very hard AND showed some skill here in Beantown.

Also to the gentleman not happy with signing Sturm .... not sure how his knee is. It was bad enough for the bruins to unload him BUT he is a really good goalscorer and makes the best goal scoring faces the NHL has ever seen lol. I called him "The Sturminator".

Fan favorite who gives his all always. One of the few players who can score with a slapshot from out a bit of way off the wing left in the league.
Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope he's better than the last Byron we signed.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote