HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howlings - DZ Interview

Old
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Howlings - DZ Interview

Some good stuff over on Howlings this morning, check it out.

Quote:
The biggest thing for me this summer is to forget about last season. No one is perfect, it was unfortunate with how things went, but that is the beauty of the game; anything can happen. Im just trying to get myself in the best shape possible and be mentally prepared. Confidence is the biggest thing for me, I know I belong in the NHL and know what I can do when I play my game. When I get the opportunity to play my game Im going to excel.
Read it here

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
CH2

I think some of the problem last year was the Rangers put a lot of pressure on him to be the only offensive defenseman once it was evident gilroy wasn't going to cut it. This year with Erixon in the mix I think DZ won't have that same pressure in the beginning of the season.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
rangers1314

I still bet he starts the season in Hartford. Valentanko is out of options and if Torts really does believe that he is part of "the core", as he has stated in the past, they need to give him a shot now or risk losing him on waivers. MDZ playing top pairing minutes in all situations in Hartford is probably the best thing for his development at this point. Let him go down, kill it, then earn his way back up. Hes still a puppy.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Levitate

If Valentenko doesn't earn it, he shouldn't get a spot... I think people overrate him a fair bit

Hard to say what will happen with Del Zotto this year. As always, I think if he earns a spot in camp then he should get it. I hope he comes back ready and able to step back in and provide some more offense on the blueline, though I think it would require some juggling of the lineup.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If Valentenko doesn't earn it, he shouldn't get a spot... I think people overrate him a fair bit
I think that goes without saying. However just like Sauers contract did play a role in him sticking around to start last season, I think the same issue will factor in with Valentanko. And thats not to say that Sauer didn't play well enough to make the team in last years camp, he did. But the fact that he was going to have to pass thru waivers in order to be sent to the AHL was absolutely a factor as to why he was given a crack, its illogical to think it wasn't.

Valentenko was one of the final cuts in last years camp, earned praise from torts and sather for his play, had a good season in Hartford plus he does bring a style of play that our blueline lacks. I hope he gets a shot.

Last edited by rangers1314: 07-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old
07-26-2011, 09:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I think some of the problem last year was the Rangers put a lot of pressure on him to be the only offensive defenseman once it was evident gilroy wasn't going to cut it. This year with Erixon in the mix I think DZ won't have that same pressure in the beginning of the season.
Wasn't he the only offensive defenseman his first season?

07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Wasn't he the only offensive defenseman his first season?
You could argue Rozsival was still expected to be an offensive contributor. Besides, anything Del Zotto contributed was a bonus for the most part.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
I still bet he starts the season in Hartford. Valentanko is out of options
Doesn't Valentenko have one more option year due to his contract rolling because of his year in the KHL?

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Reijo R

I think MDZ got a little too cocky for his own good and was humbled by last year's experience. I expect him to be part of the 3rd defense pairing and 1st PP unit, playing point with Mr. Richards.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Doesn't Valentenko have one more option year due to his contract rolling because of his year in the KHL?
I could be wrong, but I believe I read that he was out of options. Maybe someone can verify.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I believe I read that he was out of options. Maybe someone can verify.
Rangerboy comfirmed because he went to the KHL the contract carried over so he is in his last yr of the deal, under contract and can be sent down without waivers. Which is likely if DZ and Erixon make the team. Eminger seems a lock for the 7th spot.

I think as the yr goes on Vtank, Zuke package plus will be offerered for a top LW

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
The Mouth

Still puzzled by the eminger signing and btw Mitch beck is a hack.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He is currently waiver exempt, but only needs like 33 games in the AHL to be eligible for waivers.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
What's to be puzzled about

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Whats Puzzling about signing a vet 7th dman? To rely on these kids to take 2 spots out of camp is crazy. I get we all love our home grown talent on the blue line. But it was be stupid and irresponsible not to have back up plans...

oh and injuries happen too!

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Pizza

Pulling for Del Zotto.

The guy has all the tools to be a dynamic game changer.

He's got great experience for a 21 year old. Really hoping he gets it back on track.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
mullichicken25

while i think Erixon has a solid shot at making the lineup, i feel its a stretch to assume he's guaranteed a spot

honestly, i feel like del zotto is more of a lock to start the season in NY than Erixon, and the last spot will be battled for between erixon, eminger, and valentenko

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Puzzled by the fact that we inked a 5th-7th dman for less than $1mil who knows the system and can step in and play on any night?

What's puzzling here?

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

The best thing for this team would be for Staal to have a new partner this year. Not given, but taken by force. Girardi is a great player but McDonagh and Sauer can be the new shutdown pair and if DZ or Erixon can step it up, it would be a good thing.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Let's hope Stamkos imparted some secrets.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why are you puzzled? It was a good move for a solid 7th defenseman

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Barnaby

I'd really like to see DZ start in CT ... let him play top minutes, get his confidence back, and just be more comfortable in the D-zone... a spot will be ready for him, when he's ready for it..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Hard to say what will happen with Del Zotto this year. As always, I think if he earns a spot in camp then he should get it. I hope he comes back ready and able to step back in and provide some more offense on the blueline, though I think it would require some juggling of the lineup.

The Rangers don't have a lot of short-term depth on defense. All those guys like McIlrath or even Kundratek are not relevant right now.

If Vally can't win a spot in the top 6-7 of the Rangers, then he's just not good enough to play in the NHL on a regular basis and nobody will bother picking him up off waivers.

This reminds me of the crazy maneuvers the Rangers were trying to pull in order to save Rumun Ndur from the waivers when in reality nobody wanted him anyway and soon enough he wound up in the lower leagues (UHL, Austria, England).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Barnaby

What is the rush for DZ to start the season in the NHL.... the guy hasn't excelled in awhile.. Unless he blows people away at camp, then why wouldn't it be a great move to start him in Hartford? He can play many minutes in every situation. He can get comfortable performing under pressure and get his swagger back. Then, when someone struggles or inevitably get hurt - then he comes up. When he is ready. I don't get the 'DZ must start in NY stuff. The talent is def there, but he was AWFUL defensively last year. If you aren't Bobby Orr, then that won't do... He would hopefully be ready by the time we need him - why push him and risk stalling his development... Is not having him in games 1-30 really going to cripple the team?

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
haveandare

Quote:
What's puzzling about that? Its Staal - Girardi, 2 sophomores and 2 rookies or 1 rookie and DZ without Eminger. That's not a very good idea. What if McD or Sauer doesn't play as well as last year? What if it turns out that there aren't 2 rookies (or 1 rookie and DZ) who are ready for the NHL? They signed a guy that they already have a history of mutual trust and confidence with for a low, low price.

You being puzzled by it is far more puzzling than the signing itself.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote