HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Last years starting line up compared to now

View Poll Results: What do you think of last years team compared to this years?
I think this is the better team 125 99.21%
Last years team was better 1 0.79%
They're about the same 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Profet

vCash: 500
Everyone keeps putting Gaborik and Richards on the top line. I have no doubt that this will be the first combination attempted but I just don't see it working.

Maybe its because I just don't see Richards as the Gretzky-esk passer everyone on the Ranger boards makes him out to be.

I see Richards as a guy who knows when to get the puck on net. Allowing his line mates to get the garbage goals. In other words, an ideal line mate for Callahan and Dubinsky.

With those three on one line I see gaborik getting the space he needs to work his magic with anisimov.

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

I voted last year's team just because they didn't have a single vote yet.... Trolololol.

But seriously, did we even need to have a poll for this?

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Hi guys.

The way I see it, since our team is one of the younger clubs in the league, we should theoretically be on the upswing for the next bunch of years whether we drastically change the roster or not.

I know there's no rule when it comes to young players definitely improving from one year to the next and they can have slump seasons like MDZ or stagnate in their progress, but in general I think our guys are all pretty good and they're going to be be a little bit better each year. Even if their production isn't necessarily better, most of their overall games should be.

I really expect McDonagh and Sauer to be very good this year and I think MDZ probably ends up returning to full time NHLer. Anisimov and Stepan both look like they could be a little better than last year and I think this is Dubinsky's "breakout" year where he reaches pretty close to his ceiling.

So all of that said, I think the addition of Richards is huge. I think this team is much, much better than last season, just on the strength of the experience our young players have under their belts. Richards fills a big void I haven't seen on a Rangers team in a long time. As a result, I think the Rangers are actually kind of close to being a genuine competitor, especially if all of the young guys do take a step. I actually think a lot of other hockey fans are underestimating how much better this team will be.

I've never been this excited for a season of Rangers hockey. I've just got a really good feeling.

I also agree with the poster who said Richards and Gaborik may not end up on the same line. If they have great chemistry, I'm sure they will, but if it doesn't seem like there's anything special going on between them by mid-season, I would split them up, do what the poster said and play Richards with Dubinsky and Callahan, because that line would have a great blend of skill, grit, two-way play and hockey sense. Dubinsky and Callahan could both be 30 goal scorers. Meanwhile, Gaborik should still have more space just because the threat is spread to two lines and teams can't cover both with their best defenders. One of Anisimov/Stepan will be a good enough match for him at center. I guess Wolski rounds out the top six but I can't say an upgrade their wouldn't be the one thing I think this team could really benefit from.

Anyhow, that's my take on the lineup for next season.

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
twistedwrister17
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMcD View Post
Hi guys.

The way I see it, since our team is one of the younger clubs in the league, we should theoretically be on the upswing for the next bunch of years whether we drastically change the roster or not.

I know there's no rule when it comes to young players definitely improving from one year to the next and they can have slump seasons like MDZ or stagnate in their progress, but in general I think our guys are all pretty good and they're going to be be a little bit better each year. Even if their production isn't necessarily better, most of their overall games should be.

I really expect McDonagh and Sauer to be very good this year and I think MDZ probably ends up returning to full time NHLer. Anisimov and Stepan both look like they could be a little better than last year and I think this is Dubinsky's "breakout" year where he reaches pretty close to his ceiling.

So all of that said, I think the addition of Richards is huge. I think this team is much, much better than last season, just on the strength of the experience our young players have under their belts. Richards fills a big void I haven't seen on a Rangers team in a long time. As a result, I think the Rangers are actually kind of close to being a genuine competitor, especially if all of the young guys do take a step. I actually think a lot of other hockey fans are underestimating how much better this team will be.

I've never been this excited for a season of Rangers hockey. I've just got a really good feeling.

I also agree with the poster who said Richards and Gaborik may not end up on the same line. If they have great chemistry, I'm sure they will, but if it doesn't seem like there's anything special going on between them by mid-season, I would split them up, do what the poster said and play Richards with Dubinsky and Callahan, because that line would have a great blend of skill, grit, two-way play and hockey sense. Dubinsky and Callahan could both be 30 goal scorers. Meanwhile, Gaborik should still have more space just because the threat is spread to two lines and teams can't cover both with their best defenders. One of Anisimov/Stepan will be a good enough match for him at center. I guess Wolski rounds out the top six but I can't say an upgrade their wouldn't be the one thing I think this team could really benefit from.

Anyhow, that's my take on the lineup for next season.
Pretty good first post! Longest run-on sentence of all time but none the less I agree. Cheers to a great year.

07-26-2011, 01:10 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
Everyone keeps putting Gaborik and Richards on the top line. I have no doubt that this will be the first combination attempted but I just don't see it working.

Maybe its because I just don't see Richards as the Gretzky-esk passer everyone on the Ranger boards makes him out to be.

I see Richards as a guy who knows when to get the puck on net. Allowing his line mates to get the garbage goals. In other words, an ideal line mate for Callahan and Dubinsky.

With those three on one line I see gaborik getting the space he needs to work his magic with anisimov.
IMO, Gabby is an opportunistic scorer. If Richards is what you say he is, Gabby should still score a ton of goals. So many of Gabby's goals are just on loose pucks and bad angle shots that he doesn't miss the way other players do.

If I may:

Feds - Richards - Gabby
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Prust - Stepan - Boyle
Avery - Rupp - WW/MZA/EC/Weise

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
IMO, Gabby is an opportunistic scorer. If Richards is what you say he is, Gabby should still score a ton of goals. So many of Gabby's goals are just on loose pucks and bad angle shots that he doesn't miss the way other players do.

If I may:

Feds - Richards - Gabby
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Prust - Stepan - Boyle

In my opinion that's a bad lineup because you're guranteeing that fourth line winger will just be a body and a complete waste. And it kinda forces you to not play that line much, because there's no way any of those players really produce much with Rupp and Aves, but also they're not defensive or chippy enough for that line to be too good of an energy line. That's basically a three line team. I don't mind the thought of Prust and Boyler on Stepans wings, but they're really ideal fourth liners and I think its better to be a four line team anyways.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Ola

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with you to big extent. Like you never know, they are good players and if both have good years -- it could definitely work. But you never know, and le me put it like this, I would not be surprised if it did not work. I think many here learned that lesson here with Gomez and Drury. I know many downright laughed at me when I suggested JJ with Dubi and Drury as a 3rd lineer ("a 7m player as your 3rd line center?").

The thing is, I cannot see any problem with Gabby on LW on Richards wing. It would simplifie his game a lot, he would be more about speed on the wing than cutting in and snipping. I personally think a line of Gabby-Richards-Cally would be perfect. Dubi is a good option, but a little bit too much of a circler for BR. Cally is undoubtedly a better option.

Wolski? Ive yet to see 1st line hockey from him. He must put a lot of things together to take that spot IMHO.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:

If I may:

Feds - Richards - Gabby
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Prust - Stepan - Boyle
Puked in my mouth a little...

But seriously, Feds is a 3rd/4th line winger, nothing more. It's easy to admire him because he gives us hard minutes, but he doesn't belong anywhere near the top line. I would seriously question Torts' intelligence if he puts Feds on the top line. The dude is a grinder at this point in his career. He has little to no playmaking skills, and isn't particularly good at puck possession, both of which would be desireable on that line. It has to be Dubinsky or Wolski there.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Chief

Last year's Ranger leading scorer had 54 points.
We're adding the 10th most productive player in the league last season, who scored over a point per game.
We are losing no one of any consequence.
No question this team is better (on paper).

I think you'll see any number of players on the top line LW spot. I wouldn't be shocked to see Avery there for a bit as he played with Richards for some time while they were both in Dallas.

As for the defense, I understand everyone being conservative and wanting to keep pairings together but all you heard from the Rangers when they acquired Erixon was that he was a top 4 NHL Dman. You will no doubt see him in one of the top two pairs before long.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
As for the defense, I understand everyone being conservative and wanting to keep pairings together but all you heard from the Rangers when they acquired Erixon was that he was a top 4 NHL Dman. You will no doubt see him in one of the top two pairs before long.
How can you say that when he hasn't played an NHL game yet? Who could he possibly displace out of Staal, Girardi, McD, Sauer unless McD or Sauer really took a step backwards? McDonagh is supposed to be capable of being a top pairing d-man and I'm expecting big things from him this year, especially his offensive side showing a little more.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Even if 3 regulars were erased from last years starting lineup, and Richards inserted - its still a better team.
well...not to be nitpicky, but id disagree with this.

take out Gabby, Dubi, and Cally, and replace em with Richards, and like....i dunno...MZA and HAgelin or something, and we are SCREWED

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I don't think I needed the poll at all, honestly.

I just wanted to point out how good our team looked.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMcD View Post
In my opinion that's a bad lineup because you're guranteeing that fourth line winger will just be a body and a complete waste. And it kinda forces you to not play that line much, because there's no way any of those players really produce much with Rupp and Aves, but also they're not defensive or chippy enough for that line to be too good of an energy line. That's basically a three line team. I don't mind the thought of Prust and Boyler on Stepans wings, but they're really ideal fourth liners and I think its better to be a four line team anyways.
If it were up to me, Weise would be among those fighting for that spot. But Torts has shown to not use his 4th line as much and maybe likes to keep MZA or EC for the shootout. I don't agree with it, but with all of the other spots pretty much locked down, where else will a battle take place?

Old
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Puked in my mouth a little...

But seriously, Feds is a 3rd/4th line winger, nothing more. It's easy to admire him because he gives us hard minutes, but he doesn't belong anywhere near the top line. I would seriously question Torts' intelligence if he puts Feds on the top line. The dude is a grinder at this point in his career. He has little to no playmaking skills, and isn't particularly good at puck possession, both of which would be desireable on that line. It has to be Dubinsky or Wolski there.
You don't have to be a first liner to play on the first line. There are plenty of solid first lines with complimentary parts. But, I personally don't want Wolski on this team and want to keep that 2nd line in tact. So there you go.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Quote:
If it were up to me, Weise would be among those fighting for that spot. But Torts has shown to not use his 4th line as much and maybe likes to keep MZA or EC for the shootout. I don't agree with it, but with all of the other spots pretty much locked down, where else will a battle take place?
Fedetenko won't play in the top six and one of WW/MZA/EC/Avery or a rookie will. That's the way I see it. Not because Fedetenko would be terrible next to Richards just because he is a good bottom sixer and those other guys mostly need to be in the top six to be productive.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
isn't particularly good at puck possession, both of which would be desireable on that line. It has to be Dubinsky or Wolski there.
Fedotenko not good with puck possession?

Fedotenko is a better fit on that line than Wolski is, because of how good of a board player he is.

Also, considering Tortorella was playing Fedotenko in place of Callahan in the playoffs, I would not be surprised in the least to see him on that line - especially if he doesn't want to break up the line of Dubinsky/Anisimov/Callahan.

Fedotenko is one of the most versatile players on the team - he doesn't have the skill of a top-6 player, but he certainly has the brain of one. He knows where to be on the ice, and he provides a good - maybe great - defensive presence to whatever line he's on, and the Richards/Gaborik combination could certainly use a sound defensive player.

I don't think Fedotenko is an ideal linemate for those two players, but it certainly wouldn't be a travesty if he played there. Dubinsky could be considered 'ideal', but I'm not sure if Tortorella wants to put all of his eggs in one basket with a Dubinsky/Richards/Gaborik line.

To add - I believe Fedotenko was actually Richards' linemate in 2003-2004 when the Bolts won it all - from watching highlights, that's what I noticed.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.

Last edited by BrianBoyle: 07-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
chip chipperson*

much better this year

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Esa 10

Something to consider about the Pack line. Stepan might wind up in the top 6 over Anisimov anyway. Last year he got ice-time over Artem on a few occasions. If this were to happen, the Pack line is over with regardless of the LW situation.

Something like this:

Dubi-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Cally
Avery/Boyle-Anisimov-Fedotenko

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well...not to be nitpicky, but id disagree with this.

take out Gabby, Dubi, and Cally, and replace em with Richards, and like....i dunno...MZA and HAgelin or something, and we are SCREWED
you took the best 3!!! not fair.

Pick 3 randoms from a hat cmon. lol

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Something to consider about the Pack line. Stepan might wind up in the top 6 over Anisimov anyway. Last year he got ice-time over Artem on a few occasions. If this were to happen, the Pack line is over with regardless of the LW situation.

Something like this:

Dubi-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Cally
Avery/Boyle-Anisimov-Fedotenko
i see the pack line staying together with a AA/stepan swap. but i don't think if they swap those two it'll completely change things. i still have this projection for the lines going into the season

Avery/Fed-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Wolski-Anisimov-Fed/Avery
Rupp-Boyle-Prust
EC

i think that gives you 4 balanced lines without any serious wild cards (like the lines that get posted here suggesting hagelin or mza will be in the nhl at the beginning of the year). avery and fedotenko aren't ideal first liners, but with what we have they're our best options for that line. both guys can make the right passes when they have to, both are very good defensively, great on the boards, great on the forecheck. when you have a line with richards and gaborik you absolutely NEED a 3rd guy who will be physical and get into the dirty areas where those two guys can't. i could possibly see dubinsky getting top line left wing duties, but i think the best thing to do is keep the pack line (mostly) together. either way, you have 3 lines that are absolute scoring threats every time they're on the ice (especially if wolski gets his game together, him and AA could be deadly) and a 4th line that will work hard as hell every night and could possibly account for 35 points on the season.

petejudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i see the pack line staying together with a AA/stepan swap. but i don't think if they swap those two it'll completely change things. i still have this projection for the lines going into the season

Avery/Fed-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Wolski-Anisimov-Fed/Avery
Rupp-Boyle-Prust
EC
I keep seeing Rupp put on wing. I get that we have too many centers, but isn't he a natural center, that wins faceoffs, and supposedly a reason NY liked him, considering their futility last year?

Move Boyle to wing, or whomever can't figure out how to win more than 40% of their draws.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:

Who in their right mind thinks that? Gretzky is the greatest passer of all time, in today's game no one is even close. Crosby is the best in the league today even though he's still no Gretzky.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Richards has the 6th highest assists-per-game since the lockout. He's a great playmaker, sure no Gretzky, but he will be fine playing with Gaborik. Gaborik has NEVER played with a center in his career with the skill, speed and vision of Richards.

I really think they will be a dynamic duo and a treat to watch.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Based on chemistry this is what I would start the season with:

Fedotenko-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Rupp/Avery-Boyle-Prust

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Fedotenko not good with puck possession?

Fedotenko is a better fit on that line than Wolski is, because of how good of a board player he is.

Also, considering Tortorella was playing Fedotenko in place of Callahan in the playoffs, I would not be surprised in the least to see him on that line - especially if he doesn't want to break up the line of Dubinsky/Anisimov/Callahan.

Fedotenko is one of the most versatile players on the team - he doesn't have the skill of a top-6 player, but he certainly has the brain of one. He knows where to be on the ice, and he provides a good - maybe great - defensive presence to whatever line he's on, and the Richards/Gaborik combination could certainly use a sound defensive player.

I don't think Fedotenko is an ideal linemate for those two players, but it certainly wouldn't be a travesty if he played there. Dubinsky could be considered 'ideal', but I'm not sure if Tortorella wants to put all of his eggs in one basket with a Dubinsky/Richards/Gaborik line.

To add - I believe Fedotenko was actually Richards' linemate in 2003-2004 when the Bolts won it all - from watching highlights, that's what I noticed.
They were linemates. Both via highlights and also confirmed by Richards who said he'd love to play with Feds. Oh, and you pretty much posted exactly what I had in mind. Nice post

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
TrueBlue9

count me in as another who sees Feds getting time on the first line. especially if the cally dubi anisimov line is going to stick together. Wolksi fits better with the stepan line too.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote