HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Ryan Callahan [3 years, $4.275M per]

Old
07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
to be fair to cally, he never got a chance to play with Jaromir Jagr.....
To be fair to Dubi, he earned the right to play with Jagr by outplaying the guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Maybe even the second round! (as long as they don't draw Washington in the playoffs again)
I think they have an outside chance at the finals this season. Realistically a second round berth is what I am expecting, but I can see them going on a run and going deep

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

maybe they are going to arbitration? still hoping they get things done before that. Don't see Callahan get more than $4.5M with comparables from this off season Andrew Ladd, Erik Cole, Ville Leino, Brooks Laich, and David Backes all getting that number. Some at UFA market price. And you know how Sather is about not given RFAs UFA money. crossing fingers they get it done! $4.5M cap hit @ 5 years would be dandy.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
To be fair to Dubi, he earned the right to play with Jagr by outplaying the guys ahead of him on the depth chart.
Stiff competition, that was, beating out a third line center with limited offensive skills and a mediocre second liner that stands as one of the most inefficient players of the last 2 decades who has no clue how to play with any player that needs to carry the puck to make things happen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Stiff competition, that was, beating out a third line center with limited offensive skills and a mediocre second liner that stands as one of the most inefficient players of the last 2 decades who has no clue how to play with any player that needs to carry the puck to make things happen.
remind me who they were?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
remind me who they were?
99% sure the first player Sting was referring to was Drury. 150% sure the second was Gomez.

07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Sometimes I wonder what these guys really would commend on the open market. Would anyone really go 6m per for Callahan?
Not a chance. Not even $3mil. I am not sure where this got totally out of control. Callahan is a nice player, a solid player, not a great player or franchise player by any means. The public at large labeling him the next Captain is going to double his salary.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Not a chance. Not even $3mil.
You wouldn't give Callahan $3M?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh, come on. This is all based on comps. You may think he's only worth $3MM, but there are enough contracts for similar players in the market that, whether you like it or not, his value is in the $4-5MM range, depending on duration.

Similarly, because it's all based on comps, there shouldn't be much room for disagreement - so hopefully it all gets ironed out prior to arbitration.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Not a chance. Not even $3mil. I am not sure where this got totally out of control. Callahan is a nice player, a solid player, not a great player or franchise player by any means. The public at large labeling him the next Captain is going to double his salary.

Thats a bit much. However, I agree both Dubi and Cally are both getting more than they are worth. $4m or less seems right. Anything above is excessive in my opinion.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

I wouldn't want to be paying Callahan 5mm. I don't want to pay him above 4mm really. I love him and want him to be a career Ranger, but how do you re-sign McDonagh when he's developed into a #2-3 d-man or Stepan when he starts putting up 70+ points if you have guys like Callahan making 5mm? In the end, we'll pony up what it takes to keep him but I'd be doing my best to keep the cap hit as low as possible too. He's worth it for all the intangible things he brings, but you need to have enough room to keep your other players too if you're going to really build a winner.

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Some team will pop out of the wood-work looking to make a splash and overpay in UFA .. so lock him up for 5-6 years. Look at contracts that guys like Ville Leino just got. You will have 4-5 teams make a serious push for Parise (or have assets ready hoping he'll be avail), and he will re-sign or jump ship - and all the losers will shower down on Cally. Callahan is the truest Ranger since Messier. I'm not saying overpay like crazy, but I could easily live with 4.7 for 5 years. If this team pulls a Boston and wins a cup any time soon - then Cally will be the first one hoisting it...

Last edited by Barnaby: 07-26-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMcD View Post
I wouldn't want to be paying Callahan 5mm. I don't want to pay him above 4mm really. I love him and want him to be a career Ranger, but how do you re-sign McDonagh when he's developed into a #2-3 d-man or Stepan when he starts putting up 70+ points if you have guys like Callahan making 5mm? In the end, we'll pony up what it takes to keep him but I'd be doing my best to keep the cap hit as low as possible too. He's worth it for all the intangible things he brings, but you need to have enough room to keep your other players too if you're going to really build a winner.
I'd love to keep his cap level lower. If this was baseball, then I'd love to see the guy make a killing - heart - soul - talent. However, it's a cap world.

In all honesty - who didn't get psyched at the opportunity of being a sleeper team at the end of last year - then throw their hands up when he got hurt, and say - oh well, maybe next year... This is not a guy you let walk. Don't give him everything, but you give this guy fair value long-term.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I'm not saying overpay like crazy, but I could easily live with 4.7 for 5 years. If this team pulls a Boston and wins a cup any time soon - then Cally will be the first one hoisting it...
I would have no real qualms with giving him $4.7M per, either. He's - arguably - the most valuable forward to the team, on the ice, IMO. Just an overall difference maker on nearly every shift.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Talk about downplaying achievement. Brandon Dubinsky as a 21 yr old rookie beat out two very good players to earn that right.

Drury had 69 pts one season before coming to NY. Was one of the best players on that Buffalo roster. A former hobey baker winner, Calder winner and Stanley cup winner.

Gomez was coming off a 60pt, on a defensive club where he missed 8 games. The season before he had 80 season At the time he was in his 8th year. In that time he won 2 cups, made it to the finals a 3rd time plus he also won a Calder.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
I would have no real qualms with giving him $4.7M per, either. He's - arguably - the most valuable forward to the team, on the ice, IMO. Just an overall difference maker on nearly every shift.
A team looking to contend in 2-3 years cannot let him walk. He is heart - soul - talent. I see Rangers and I see Lundqvist, Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan - these are the guys you keep together.

.. and a few posters keep saying better talent is coming. I'm excited for Kreider, Thomas etc.. but they haven't performed at this level. I need to see it first. Thomas may be St Louis or Chad Kolarik - these guys can't impact our moves on the players we already have who are the identity of the team.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

The most valuable forward needs to play. Cally's too small to play his style in the NHL. He's going to miss games every year and eventually break down. He's great when he's on the ice, but he isn't worth $5m for 5+ yrs...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
.. and a few posters keep saying better talent is coming. I'm excited for Kreider, Thomas etc.. but they haven't performed at this level. I need to see it first. Thomas may be St Louis or Chad Kolarik - these guys can't impact our moves on the players we already have who are the identity of the team.
I'll never understand some fans' obsession with 'youth' and 'potential' - because, it's just that. 'Potential'. Callahan has surpassed that stage, and is a legitimate difference maker to the team night in, and night out. A 20 year old prospect doesn't make a player like Callahan expendable because said prospect might become a player of Callahan's level.

This isn't really directed at any poster here in particular, just some fans in general. The idea puzzles me.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
The most valuable forward needs to play. Cally's too small to play his style in the NHL. He's going to miss games every year and eventually break down. He's great when he's on the ice, but he isn't worth $5m for 5+ yrs...
4.7 ain't 5. I'm not joking, I'm being serious. There is a difference in the cap world

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
pwoz

Quote:
This. I'd even go as high as 5m if it was a 6-7 year deal.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
The most valuable forward needs to play. Cally's too small to play his style in the NHL. He's going to miss games every year and eventually break down. He's great when he's on the ice,
I added 'on the ice' for that particular variable - his style of play is reckless, and that is definitely going to have him missing some games along the way. But, a player with the mental capacity of Callahan can adjust, and change his style, while still being just as effective as before. As Sting point out, Callahan is an excellent stick checker. He needs to focus on using his stick to defend more so than sacrificing his body to accomplish that.

Quote:
but he isn't worth $5m for 5+ yrs...
'Worth' is a subjective term among fans - mainly because there is no concrete general opinion regarding a players' supposed 'worth'. Strictly using facts - or, in other words, 'comparables' - Callahan's cap hit should fall between $4.2M and $4.7M.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:32 PM
hollenbeezy

Who thinks the Caps series would have been different, maybe even competitive, had Cally been healthy? Go ahead, convince me the Rangers wouldn't have pushed the series to six games.

I say pay the man. $4.75 over 5 would be my offer.

hollenbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
I don't get this. 5 is high. I agree.... I mentioned 4.7 at 5 or 6 years.

You really think a team aiming at a cup lets its best forward walk? What do we do? Sign someone else's guy who they didn't care to give fair market value to? Like I said earlier - this team seemed like they had a shot to make a run last year - Callahan gets hurt and we all knew that was it. THAT is value. Check out the UFA market - who are we getting at that price who even resembles Callahan?

Old
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
This. I'd even go as high as 5m if it was a 6-7 year deal.
Not me. The way Callahan plays I would say the higher cap hit should be on a shorter deal. Callahan is 26 and I don't expect him to be able to maintain the speed and physicality and grittiness, grinding it out and blocking shots and stuff for more than 4-5 years. If we were giving him a 7 year deal, I'd want to front load it a bit and get him to take like 4.3mm so that later in the contract, if he slows down or has injuries, he can more easily be moved, if it came to that.

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It was in response to what he'd get on the open market. I don't believe he'd get that much. To the Rangers (fans) he's worth every penny, but his "heart" is commanding at least another $1m.

I would probably pay $4.25 but I have to do it keeping in mind that we are not paying a 'talent' rich player, we are paying someone who sacrifices his body on every shift. The question I have to ask myself is what happens when a 185 pound player who punishes himself day and in day out approaches his 30's?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote