HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What If? Eric Lindros had stayed in Quebec

Old
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

vCash: 500
What If? Eric Lindros had stayed in Quebec

Watched the Eric Lindros trade feature on the NHL Network last night. It raised an interesting question. Let's say Lindros stays in Quebec, does that franchise still have the success it had after Lindros was traded? We know that with Lindros, Forsberg never goes to Quebec. Also would Quebec have stayed put had Lindros agreed to go there?

Interested to hear some of your thoughts.

07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
TheRedressor

If my timeline is correct I believe Eric makes it to Colorado and spends most of his career there. Quebec had to move regardless of him playing there or not. I think Colorado would have been MORE dominant with a 1-2 punch of Sakic-Lindros than Sakic-Forsberg Plus

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:11 PM
FrozenJagrt

If they don't trade Lindros, they may not get Roy.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The Nords still move to Colorado, IMO.

Assuming they can still get Roy, the Av's would still win at least one cup IMO, but it would be a different makeup. One issue is whether they can still get Roy. The center piece of the deal from a Habs standpoint was Thibault, one of the best prospect goalies of the time, but the pick Quebec used to draft Thibault was acquired in the Lindros trade. Does Quebec have the package that's attractive to the Habs when Roy got dealt, or do the Habs instead go with the rumored Detroit package? Without Thibault, do the Habs instead go for Fiset, but insist on an upgrade on the Rucinski/Kovalenko aspect of the deal, weakening the Av's future top 2 lines? Who knows? Houle was an idiot, so for all be know, he takes Fiset, Kovalenko and Rucinski.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Lindros would complain after being relocated to Colorado.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
tjcurrie

The biggest factor there would be if they still would have moved or not. None of us were on the inside so it's difficult to know for sure.

If they stayed: They definitely still would have been a contender. They wouldn't have been able to trade for Roy so they would have had to go another route. Maybe they sign Ed Belfour in '97 over my Stars ( unlikely ) and then the Stars don't win their Cup ? Who knows. But they still would have needed to go after a quality goaltender.

If they still moved: They likely still trade for Roy and definitely win Cups.

tjcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
The biggest factor there would be if they still would have moved or not. None of us were on the inside so it's difficult to know for sure.

If they stayed: They definitely still would have been a contender. They wouldn't have been able to trade for Roy so they would have had to go another route. Maybe they sign Ed Belfour in '97 over my Stars ( unlikely ) and then the Stars don't win their Cup ? Who knows. But they still would have needed to go after a quality goaltender.

If they still moved: They likely still trade for Roy and definitely win Cups.
Actually reminds me of the fact Roy wasn't too far away from free agency eligibility back in 95. Chances are if he's dealt to a team other than the Av's, he would eventually sign in Colorado with his old buddy Pierre Lacroix.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Actually reminds me of the fact Roy wasn't too far away from free agency eligibility back in 95. Chances are if he's dealt to a team other than the Av's, he would eventually sign in Colorado with his old buddy Pierre Lacroix.
Quite possible.Maybe Philly signs or trades for Roy and they win a Cup ? Maybe Dallas goes after Roy and they win a Cup with him instead of Belfour ? Interesting to think of the different scenarios.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Bexlyspeed

i dont think the avs would have been as good with lindros. the nordiques not only got forsberg, they also got Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash.

Hextall became Uwe Krupp
Ricci became Alex Tanguay
the pick (and mats sundin) traded to the leafs was for Wendel Clark, who became Claude Lemieux
and the tibault pick became part of the deal to get Roy and Mike Keane

simon was pretty good for the avs

all in all i dont think they have the depth that made them so succesful withour the lindros trade.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
rmchahn

He would have retired with a SC ring or two.

rmchahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
the pick (and mats sundin) traded to the leafs was for Wendel Clark, who became Claude Lemieux
That's an interesting one there, and less convoluted than the Lindros scenario. Obviously Claude Lemieux played a part in Colorado's cup win in 1996. But imagine if they kept Sundin instead (keeping in mind that Sundin played RW very successfully early in his career)? Sundin and Forsberg together would have been terrifying stuff.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
i dont think the avs would have been as good with lindros. the nordiques not only got forsberg, they also got Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash.

Hextall became Uwe Krupp
Ricci became Alex Tanguay
and the tibault pick became part of the deal to get Roy and Mike Keane

simon was pretty good for the avs

all in all i dont think they have the depth that made them so succesful withour the lindros trade.
Basically. The Lindros deal left the Avs with an abundance of assets, so much so that they had the advantage when any big name player was on the market - people have talked about how they probably wouldn't have had the assets to get Patrick Roy without the deal; I don't think they would have had the assets to get Rob Blake, either.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
That's an interesting one there, and less convoluted than the Lindros scenario. Obviously Claude Lemieux played a part in Colorado's cup win in 1996. But imagine if they kept Sundin instead (keeping in mind that Sundin played RW very successfully early in his career)? Sundin and Forsberg together would have been terrifying stuff.
i think for the playoffs they were better off with Claude Lemieux.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Basically. The Lindros deal left the Avs with an abundance of assets, so much so that they had the advantage when any big name player was on the market - people have talked about how they probably wouldn't have had the assets to get Patrick Roy without the deal; I don't think they would have had the assets to get Rob Blake, either.
that's a great point, look at all the deadline deals they made (or close to the deadline): Fleury & Selanne come to mind instantly, but im sure there were a few more

Old
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Instead of Scott Stevens wrecking Lindros, Konstantinov would've been wrecking him instead.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Dave Karp

In THN's magazine The Great Debates special issue from a few years back they discuss this. The author writes back on Lindros' career as if he had stayed with the 'Nords. Don't recall the details but the gist was that he would've been more successful. I'll try to dig it up.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:52 AM
tjcurrie

Obviously a lot of the deals the Avs made with the assets they received helped out, but the Nords were a pretty good team as is and with the addition of Lindros, plus it's impossible to say what else they would have done afterwards to acquire pieces but they likely would have added, they had a real good shot. The goalie position would have been the main piece they needed to add.

Old
07-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Theokritos

Imagine the Avs with Lindros and Sundin instead of Sakic and Forsberg. Interesting vision.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
If they don't trade Lindros, they may not get Roy.
Care to develop on that?

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Canadarocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
In THN's magazine The Great Debates special issue from a few years back they discuss this. The author writes back on Lindros' career as if he had stayed with the 'Nords. Don't recall the details but the gist was that he would've been more successful. I'll try to dig it up.
That sounds really interesting! I hope you find it.

Canadarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Care to develop on that?
Read the thread.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:08 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadarocks View Post
That sounds really interesting! I hope you find it.
I have this issue, it says if Lindros had stayed the Nords would not have moved due to his popularity and the success of the team...

I always like to ponder how this line-up would have done...

Nolan-Lindros-Sundin
Kamensky-Sakic-Kovalenko

The top line could have been a substitute Legion of Doom.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:03 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

edit, oh yeah, no forsberg

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Stephen

If Lindros had played for them, you'd be looking at a team including:

Sakic
Lindros
Sundin
Nolan
Kamensky
Kovalenko
Rucinsky
Young

with little depth on defense outside of an Adam Foote and some pitiful goaltending. The Lindros deal really fleshed out their ranks and allowed them to add guys like Duchesne and then populate their forward group with serviceable talent like Ricci and later Forsberg.

But who knows, maybe they steam roll offensively, or they trade a couple of those guys for defense and goaltending and still roll with Sakic and Lindros and Sundin up front.

Although I do have to say a Sakic-Lindros 1, 2 punch just doesn't sound right in terms of chemistry or cohesive playing style.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Further potential repercussions that can be thrown into the mix, perhaps...

In 1997, Joe Sakic signs that front-loaded offer sheet with the Rangers...do the Avs have the money to sign a UFA goalie (I'd assume that's the route they'd go) pay Lindros his big bucks and have all that capital up-front to keep Sakic? To further that point, in hypothetical fashion, they have to have generated a lot of revenue from winning the Cup in 1996 - which they likely do not do without Roy and the subbing of Forsberg for Lindros doesn't necessarily help them in the postseason.

Just throwing a tiny bit of a monkey wrench in the plans for Colorado's future domination (once they acquired a big time goalie, presumably).

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote