HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arturs Irbe Assigned to Johnstown (ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

vCash: 500
Arturs Irbe Assigned to Johnstown (ECHL)

Former NHL All-Star
Irbe Assigned To Johnstown
Thursday Oct 16, 2003

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - The Johnstown Chiefs announced on Thursday that former National Hockey League All-Star goaltender Arturs Irbe has been assigned to the team by the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL. Irbe will be available for Friday’s game at Toledo on Friday, and is scheduled to be the starter for the Chiefs’ home opener on Saturday.

The 36-year-old Irbe has spent the last five seasons with the Hurricanes and led the team to the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals where Carolina lost in five games to Detroit. He played in the NHL All-Star Game in 1994 and 1999 and represented his native Latvia at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. Irbe is 213-234-78 with a 2.82 goals against average in 558 career NHL games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a pretty crazy story....2 years after playing in the NHL Stanley Cup Finals, you're playing ECHL "AA" Hockey...

...i'm surprised he is sticking with it and playing through it, I would've expected that he'd have retired by now.

For more information/discussion on this topic, head over to the ECHL board.

Old
10-16-2003, 04:07 PM
PensFan68

As I said in another thread, I'd stick with it and get paid too.

I'll have to take a trip to see him play when they're playing the Nailers(Pens affiliate).

Old
10-17-2003, 05:53 AM
jeffbear

My how the mighty have fallen. Kind of sad really, to see a warrior like Irbe just lose his NHL fastball so quickly.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:06 PM
loveshack2

Hrudey commented on this on HNIC, he sees it as the organization just trying to embarrass Irbe into accepting a cheap buyout and retiring. According to him they had the opportunity to trade him last season if they would have agreed to pay a portion of his salary, or they could have bought him out in the summer for 2/3 of his contract. This guy backstopped them to the Cup finals two years ago and now they're trying to embarrass him into retiring. Shameful.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Hrudey commented on this on HNIC, he sees it as the organization just trying to embarrass Irbe into accepting a cheap buyout and retiring. According to him they had the opportunity to trade him last season if they would have agreed to pay a portion of his salary, or they could have bought him out in the summer for 2/3 of his contract. This guy backstopped them to the Cup finals two years ago and now they're trying to embarrass him into retiring. Shameful.

Where else are they going to put him? Not the AHL affliate because there are goalies with a future with the organization that need the playing time. He was waived and no one else picked him up, he was offered out to every AHL team as a loaner and no one wanted him. ECHL may be embarrassing to him but at least he is playing, otherwise he would be a scratch for an AHL team.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:32 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan10
Where else are they going to put him? Not the AHL affliate because there are goalies with a future with the organization that need the playing time. He was waived and no one else picked him up, he was offered out to every AHL team as a loaner and no one wanted him. ECHL may be embarrassing to him but at least he is playing, otherwise he would be a scratch for an AHL team.

Where did you hear that he was offered as a loner to every AHL team? According to Hrudey the 'Canes were offered a trade for him last year and they refused. Also which goalie on your affiliate has a future in the NHL? Zepp, Desrochers, Pelletier, Other??

Old
10-19-2003, 05:09 AM
jeffbear

1. I've heard an awful lot of rumors about Carolina's so-called chance to trade Irbe last year, but I'm not buying it. The only attributed comment on that topic came from Irbe himself ... and he claimed that Boston wanted him ... which is total BS. So don't let Kelly Hrudey ... who wouldn't know what's going on in Raleigh if it bit him ... color your judgement. He's re-spinning an old rumor, plain and simple.

2. As for where Irbe should be playing ... who cares? He obviously doesn't have NHL game anymore. It's sad, but it's true. He was MISERABLE last year ... in every phase of the game. If he's playing at the AHL level, then he's stealing icetime from kids with a chance ... even a remote chance ... of contributing in the NHL. He's done and should have accepted his buyout like a man with some dignity instead of hanging around collecting a paycheck. With the 2/3 offer the Canes gave him and whatever he could get from a Russian or Swiss team, he'd be coming out ahead on the cash anyway ... and playing at something other than class B minor pro level to boot.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Where did you hear that he was offered as a loner to every AHL team? According to Hrudey the 'Canes were offered a trade for him last year and they refused. Also which goalie on your affiliate has a future in the NHL? Zepp, Desrochers, Pelletier, Other??
Rob Zepp is the guy in Lowell.

Pelletier is with Phoenix now.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Skydog

Loveshack02,

It was very well publized that Rutherford not only let Irbe contact teams to get a trade started but that he was also available to every AHL team if they wanted. You clearly have one source who happens to know next to nothing about the situtation.

My question to everyone who gets upset about the way our team is treating Irbe is would you want him on your team? Not many people do.

And as far as future goalies, DeRochers and Zepp have alot more future in the NHL than Irbe because they are YOUNG and are still IMPROVING. Irbe is doing neither. Its a shame to see a guy fall so far so fast but there aren't many options.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:25 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear
He's done and should have accepted his buyout like a man with some dignity instead of hanging around collecting a paycheck. With the 2/3 offer the Canes gave him and whatever he could get from a Russian or Swiss team, he'd be coming out ahead on the cash anyway ... and playing at something other than class B minor pro level to boot.

Well I could be wrong here, but from my understanding of the CBA the 'Canes could have bought out Irbe and he'd have no say in it. The only way he could have a say in the matter is if Carolina were trying to get him to terminate his contract for less than the standard amount.

That's the part I dont understand. The 'Canes could have paid him $2.5 million to just go away this summer if they wanted to, instead they elected to pay $4+ million for an old ECHL level goaltender. Maybe I am missing something but the only way that makes sense to me is if they think they can convince him to accept less than $2.5 million to retire at some point during the season. Or I suppose they think he's valuable enough to keep around rather than save themselves over a million and a half dollars??

As for wanting him on my team, of course not. But in fact my team was faced with a similar situation this summer. They bought out the player and saved themselves a roster spot and some money instead of sending him to ECHL.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:52 AM
jeffbear

Unless I am mistaken, Irbe has to agree to the buyout. The TERMS are spelled out in the CBA, but it's not an automatic option for the team ... otherwise he'd already be off the books.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:12 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
13. The Club, in addition to other rights hereunder, at its
option, by written notice delivered to the Player in person or by
mailing by certified mail to the Player's address set forth
herein, may terminate this Contract on the following conditions:

(a) The Club shall offer the Player on waivers, without
right of recall, at a waiver price not in excess of one hundred
dollars ($100), either before or promptly after the notice of
intention to exercise Buy-Out option (herein called "notice of
termination') is given.

(b) Termination pursuant to this Section 13 shall be
effective upon receipt by the Player of the notice of
termination.

(c) The notice of termination must have been given after
the end of the regular playing season and prior to the next
following July 2nd (deadline shall be July 1), and is to be sent
to Player by certified mail or hand delivery. Fax notice
received by NHL Central Registry or NHLPA office within deadline
shall meet deadline requirement.

(d) If the Club elects to terminate this Contract pursuant
to this Section 13, it shall be obligated to pay to the Player,
in equal monthly installments, beginning on the October 1st next
following the date on which the termination is effective, at a
minimum annual amount (if owed) of no less than $50,000, to be
paid in full during a period of twice the remaining years of the
contract, including the option year:

(i) if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time
the termination is effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or

(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the
time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the
total fixed amount of the Player's league salary, as set forth in
Section 1, for the unexpired fixed-term and option year of this
Contract, reduced by any advance payment of salary received by
the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.

(e) The Player may, within 10 days after the receipt of the
notice of termination, elect in writing to be paid a lump sum
equal to the present value of the amount payable pursuant the
subsection (d) above on the date of termination in lieu of
receiving monthly installments. Written notice of such election
shall be delivered to the Club or mailed by registered mail
within the said 10-day period at its address set forth below.
The present value of the amount payable pursuant to subsection
(d) shall be computed on the basis of an interest rate equal to
the prime rate of interest of the Chase Manhattan Bank, New York
City, on the date of termination.

(f) Upon receipt of the notice of termination the Player
shall immediately be a free agent not subject to equalization and
shall no longer be obligated to perform under this Contract.

(g) Waiver claim of Player by another Club shall pre-empt
and relinquish Club's Buy-Out obligation, due to failure to clear
waivers.
There's the termination rules that are a part of every NHL player's contract. Im no expert in legalese, but it doesnt sound to me like Irbe has a say in it as long as they woudl have given him notice by July 1st.

"The Club...at its option, by written notice delivered to the Player...may terminate this Contract on the following conditions"

Old
10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
jeffbear

I got a clarification on this issue from somebody who would know better than me ...

Apparently the Canes worked out a deal with Irbe and his agent that the club would give him all summer in 2003 to work out any deal with any other team, and gave them a set amount that the Hurricanes would be willing to pay towards his existing contract if a deal with another club could be reached. All parties were hopeful that Theopholus (Irbe's agent) could come up with SOMETHING ... but he failed. That was why the July 1st date came and went with no action from the Canes.

Now, as their end of the deal Irbe and his agent agreed that in return for the ability to negotiate with the Canes blessing, they would accept whatever assignment the Canes saw fit for this season if no deal was reached. In other words Irbe and his agent bought the freedom to negotiate knowing full well if they failed he'd be stuck in the ECHL or worse this year. The Canes were clear at the time that they had no plans to keep him on either the NHL or AHL roster unless forced to by unforseen circumstances.

So Carolina gambled about $1.5 million that Irbe could find himself a deal ... and lost. It's now expected that they will invoke the buyout clause at the end of this season.

Sorry for the confusion ... in retrospect this all makes a bit more sense.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:32 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Well he won his first game on Saturday, allowing one goal on about 27 shots. Not sure if thats good or bad.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:57 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear
I got a clarification on this issue from somebody who would know better than me ...

Ok that makes much more sense. Thanks.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
He is a classy player. Probably one of the last ones to hold out if sent down.

Closed Thread