HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howlings - DZ Interview

Old
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Whats Puzzling about signing a vet 7th dman? To rely on these kids to take 2 spots out of camp is crazy. I get we all love our home grown talent on the blue line. But it was be stupid and irresponsible not to have back up plans...

oh and injuries happen too!
Eminger has not been a regular defenseman pretty much his whole career. He is about 6 months older than Girardi so I dont see how much of a veteran presence he is.

He was benched in the second half of last year in favor of two guys who are no longer on this team Gilroy and McCabe. I think the veteran presence thing is way over hyped with this guy.

He is capable at the position but they surely they can improve on Steve Eminger They could go younger or sign somebody who is a vet and who at one time logged a lot of ice time in a top four situation that now can be had for 1 million or less.

Last edited by The Mouth: 07-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Eminger has not been a regular defenseman pretty much his whole career. He is about 6 months older than Girardi so I dont see how much of a veteran presence he is.

He was benched in the second half of last year in favor of two guys who are no longer on this team Gilroy and McCabe. I think the veteran presence thing is way over hyped with this guy.

He is capable at the position but they surely they can improve on Steve Eminger They could go younger or sign somebody who is a vet and who at one time logged a lot of ice time in a top four situation that now can be had for 1 million or less.
He's a seventh defenseman. What exactly are you expecting? And for 800k, who is a really an upgrade?

07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
free0717

Quote:
Still puzzled by the eminger signing and btw Mitch beck is a hack.
Hey Eddie, we need Eminger because he is a Right Handed Defenseman. Both Erixon and MDZ play the left side.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
free0717

Quote:

Eddie, we are getting close to the cap. Once we sign Cally, the choice will be MDZ or Erixon. The only way we could keep both would be to get rid of a forward.

Emminger is a cheap option for a 3rd RH dman.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:

But Eminger is a guy who is ok with being a 7th dman who is reliable to step in if need be. Not everyone is cool with or has the mental make up to sit on the bench for weeks at a time and then come in if needed in a pinch rather then call up some kid from CT to get minimal minutes when he could be logging 20+ for the whale.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:

He was signed to be a solid 7th defenseman. He knows the system and excels in it. He has played his best hockey under Torts and in blue.

Honestly if you have a problem with having an NHL experienced 7th defenseman that excels in our defensive system then there is something off in your head.. no offense

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:22 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's a seventh defenseman. What exactly are you expecting? And for 800k, who is a really an upgrade?
perhaps somebody who actually has a veteran presence and/or uses the body. will be back with a short list tomorrow lol

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:32 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

as someone already mentioned.

this is a guy who was scratched for matt girlroy and bryan mcabe- who skated in mud, during end of the season crunch time.

dude didnt dress for one playoff game. that tells you something.

i remember screaming... why play girlroy over eminger torts ?? i wanted steve in there. he wasnt awful at all and in fact, he was way better than matty. torts just didnt seem to have alot of confidence in him.

so this signing confuses me. alot.

and its hard to take him seriously given that.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 07-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Levitate

Why yes Emminger never used the body at all

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
as someone already mentioned.

this is a guy who was scratched for matt girlroy and bryan mcabe- who skated in mud, during end of the season crunch time.

dude didnt dress for one playoff game. that tells you something.

i remember screaming... why play girlroy over eminger torts ?? i wanted steve in there. he wasnt awful at all and in fact, he was way better than matty. torts just didnt seem to have alot of confidence in him.

so this signing confuses me. alot.

and its hard to take him seriously given that.
I had the same reaction at the end of last season. I didn't get it at all. I usually back Torts and his moves, but I didn't see where Gilroy was better than Eminger. I thought it was quite stupid, to be honest.

Maybe Torts was looking for some offense to start. I mean, Gilroy is a better fit to start some offense than Eminger by a mile, but they're both terrible at it. I dunno. What I do know, Gilroy played decently well in the playoffs. Created more than most.

I'm for the signing. He's great fit for a 7th defenseman, even a 5th/6th guy. Torts can scratch him as much as he wants now if DZ, Erixon, or Valentenko make the team.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
As long as he doesn't end up by default playing every game or playing more than 15 minutes a night, it's OK. But, unlike many people here, I'm not thrilled with Eminger's play, I think he's very inconsistant, slow and not very good at picking his spots. The more he plays, the more his problems are exposed.

Signing Eminger was the easy thing to do, but not necessarily the best thing. And if necessary the Rangers can always trade for someone better as the season progresses--if the prospects/Del Zotto can't handle the load. At least he's cheap.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:09 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
I think that goes without saying. However just like Sauers contract did play a role in him sticking around to start last season, I think the same issue will factor in with Valentanko. And thats not to say that Sauer didn't play well enough to make the team in last years camp, he did. But the fact that he was going to have to pass thru waivers in order to be sent to the AHL was absolutely a factor as to why he was given a crack, its illogical to think it wasn't.

Valentenko was one of the final cuts in last years camp, earned praise from torts and sather for his play, had a good season in Hartford plus he does bring a style of play that our blueline lacks. I hope he gets a shot.
that's a great point. before last season non of us were pinning sauer as our 3rd defensemen. Now he is. It's all about opportunity.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:10 AM
xander

I can't believe that anyone who watched a majority of Ranger's games last season wouldn't want Steve Eminger back for one year/under a million dollars.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:34 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
What is the rush for DZ to start the season in the NHL.... the guy hasn't excelled in awhile.. Unless he blows people away at camp, then why wouldn't it be a great move to start him in Hartford? He can play many minutes in every situation. He can get comfortable performing under pressure and get his swagger back. Then, when someone struggles or inevitably get hurt - then he comes up. When he is ready. I don't get the 'DZ must start in NY stuff. The talent is def there, but he was AWFUL defensively last year. If you aren't Bobby Orr, then that won't do... He would hopefully be ready by the time we need him - why push him and risk stalling his development... Is not having him in games 1-30 really going to cripple the team?
People saying DZ was horrible in his own zone last year are absolutely wrong. He was average in his own zone, which from a 2nd year player is fine. Because McDonagh and Sauer out performed him in the D zone, doesn't make him bad.

The reason he was sent down was because they wanted him to play 20+ minutes a night, opposed to 12-14 minutes a night because the top 4 was set. It wouldn't make sense to have him on the ice for so little time because that would hinder his progress. He got those minutes in Hartford and if he didn't get hurt, he would have finished the year there.

The team also knew they did not have a partner for him with the emergence of McD and Sauer. Eminger, Gilroy, or McCabe would not have helped a young Del Zotto. Also, those guys are worse off than DZ in their zone as well, so Torts knew that playing him less and less down the stretch wouldn't help his confidence because his partner was playing like total garbage. The team wanted in the playoffs, but they also know developing DZ is important, so playing him sparingly in the NHL is not better than playing 20+ in the AHL.

Also, the AHL was to get his offensive swagger back. He needed a shot in the arm on his offense, and playing in the NHL with a lot of pressure of making the playoffs could either make or break him. Playing in the AHL would give him that swagger back and not hinder the team at any point. It was a no-brainer to send him to Hartford.

With the team having someone like Erixon, Kundratek, or Valentenko ready to play in the NHL with DZ, it'll be much better. I could see Erixon impressing the Ranger so much that he'll play with McDonagh freeing up Sauer or Girardi to play with DZ. If that's the case, DZ will be in NY. If Eminger is the 6th, which is highly unlikely, my guess is that DZ is in Hartford and Erixon or Valentenko will play with Eminger. I honestly believe they do not want to pair DZ with Eminger because Eminger can run around his own zone at times, and DZ will become more confused, and when a youg player becomes confused, they regress. I think Erixon is more capable of playing with an Eminger type D than DZ is, because he is more defensive-minded first and less run around than even DZ is.

I just hope DZ and Erixon make the team and this will all be put to rest because that is what I think everyone would really like to see happen.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Erixon
MDZ-Sauer

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I can't believe that anyone who watched a majority of Ranger's games last season wouldn't want Steve Eminger back for one year/under a million dollars.
Yeah I dunno, even if you don't really like the guy, it's such a non event that it doesn't really matter IMO

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
As long as he doesn't end up by default playing every game or playing more than 15 minutes a night, it's OK. But, unlike many people here, I'm not thrilled with Eminger's play, I think he's very inconsistant, slow and not very good at picking his spots. The more he plays, the more his problems are exposed.

Signing Eminger was the easy thing to do, but not necessarily the best thing. And if necessary the Rangers can always trade for someone better as the season progresses--if the prospects/Del Zotto can't handle the load. At least he's cheap.
I'm wasn't thrilled with his play either. He's Doug Lidster someone who can be effective for a few games but not someone you want playing every game.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
perhaps somebody who actually has a veteran presence and/or uses the body. will be back with a short list tomorrow lol
He's a seventh defenseman. Waiting for the list of a veteran or someone who will take the body. Keep in mind salary and keep in mind what defensemen were getting on the UFA market this summer.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:01 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I just hope DZ and Erixon make the team and this will all be put to rest because that is what I think everyone would really like to see happen.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Erixon
MDZ-Sauer
People need to stop breaking up Staal/Girardi and McSauer; these are potentially two of the best shutdown d-pairings we've had in the LONGEST time...the third pairing will work itself out in camp...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I'm wasn't thrilled with his play either. He's Doug Lidster someone who can be effective for a few games but not someone you want playing every game.
I thought about Doug Lidster too--but he was a better defenseman at one point in his career than Eminger ever was or ever will be. I had more faith in Lidster for a game here, a game there (and certainly during the playoffs!) than I do in Eminger.

Plus, my main concern is the inexperience factor on the blueline--if several of the youngin's have rough patches, I could see Eminger playing more minutes than I think he's capable of doing relatively effectively.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote