HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles City reaches deal with AEG re NFL Stadium

Old
07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Ajtacker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I'll take whatever we get, including the Raiders. Of course that's because I'm a Raider fan, but honestly, I'll take whatever they're willing to give us.
Agreed, I just want to go to a NFL game, been to too many USC and UCLA games, not one NFL game.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'm a Chargers fan but I really want an expansion team, not someones castoff.
But the Chargers would be returning home.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Kingjordan

Do Not Want the Choakland Traiders...

Chargers, Vikings would be perfect or expansion.

there is talk about 2 teams in LA playing in same stadium.. like in NY.

Would be better if one went to Anaheim and other to LA

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Cool I guess . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
But the Chargers would be returning home.
True, but they've been in SD longer.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Melrose Munch

Rumored teams are

Vikings Raiders Rams Jaguars Bills.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:36 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Rams or Vikings would be awesome. I know whatever team moves I will become a fan of.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Rams/Jaguars or new team.

I can't see L.A. dealing with the Raiders again, Al Davis pretty much made love to that canine.

I hate the idea of Min losing the Vikings and Buf losing the Bills. Can't see it happening and hope it doesn't.

To me it comes down to the Rams returning or maybe the Jaguars.

Best of luck to whoever it is.

Can Football is the superior version of the game in my opinion and as such I don't watch much NFL. The players are less talented in the CFL for the most part but the game moves so much better and is more exciting. My hope would be that one day the CFL and the NFL would merge with the NHL adapting several of the CFL's rules.

That would be a fun thing to watch whenever hockey wasn't happening.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

I can't see L.A. dealing with the Raiders again, Al Davis pretty much made love to that canine.

I hate the idea of Min losing the Vikings and Buf losing the Bills. Can't see it happening and hope it doesn't.

Can Football is the superior version of the game in my opinion and as such I don't watch much NFL. The players are less talented in the CFL for the most part but the game moves so much better and is more exciting. My hope would be that one day the CFL and the NFL would merge with the NFL adapting several of the CFL's rules.

That will NEVER happen. Field dimensions have been this way for almost 100 years, they will never award a point essentially for missing a FG. And the US already had a league with the WR motions and such, it's called the AFL.

If a merger were to ever occur, NFL rules would be adopted across the board. Mainly because they would only be adding a handful of teams, while the original AFL-NFL Merger doubled the league size.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
That will NEVER happen. Field dimensions have been this way for almost 100 years, they will never award a point essentially for missing a FG. And the US already had a league with the WR motions and such, it's called the AFL.

If a merger were to ever occur, NFL rules would be adopted across the board. Mainly because they would only be adding a handful of teams, while the original AFL-NFL Merger doubled the league size.
Your probably right but then that is why I said "my hope would be" that the two would merge and the outcome I would like to see happen would come to be.

I don't think for a minute that it could but I can hope.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Your probably right but then that is why I said "my hope would be" that the two would merge and the outcome I would like to see happen would come to be.

I don't think for a minute that it could but I can hope.
Fair enough.

It would certainly be interesting.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Reaper45

Quote:

Can Football is the superior version of the game in my opinion and as such I don't watch much NFL. The players are less talented in the CFL for the most part but the game moves so much better and is more exciting. My hope would be that one day the CFL and the NFL would merge with the NHL adapting several of the CFL's rules.

Speaking as someone who's played football his entire life, and has friends in the NFL, the CFL rules are interesting to say the least. The NFL is superior AND if they were to merge, the NFL rules would be the ones to be adapted by the CFL.

Old
07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Speaking as someone who's played football his entire life, and has friends in the NFL, the CFL rules are interesting to say the least. The NFL is superior AND if they were to merge, the NFL rules would be the ones to be adapted by the CFL.
Ya but again that is why I said "my hope would be that one day the CFL and the NFL would merge with the NHL adapting several of the CFL's rules". That is what my hope would be anyways. I can always hope.

I was writing what I hoped would happen, not what I believed would happen.

Old
07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Ya but again that is why I said "my hope would be that one day the CFL and the NFL would merge with the NHL adapting several of the CFL's rules". That is what my hope would be anyways. I can always hope.

That would be crazy to see Stamkos catch a 50 yard pass on 3rd down!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Ajtacker

Quote:
Kind of OT but what position did you play?

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtacker View Post
Kind of OT but what position did you play?
Played fullback and some tailback.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Me too.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Melrose Munch

At this point it looks like the Vikings and Chargers, as they are the farthest from having deals done.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!

This makes me impossibly excited.

St. Louis (expletive)! St. Louis (expletive)!
L.A. Rams! L.A. Rams!

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Whiskeypete

ive been following this for years. the Bolts and the Vikings for years have been the leading candidates to move to LA, because of their current stadium leases. ive been a life long Vikings fan and also a fan of the Bolts after college, when a bunch of us got season seats. as a result ive been interested to see what would happen to my teams.

the two teams that make the most sense are the Bolts and the Vikings. the Bolts came from LA and has a large fan base in OC and LA with the departure of the Lambs and Faders. the Vikings have a massive existing fanbase already in the SoCal area.

the 'Murph' in SD is a remnant of the old 60's cookie cutter multi-purpose facilities. imo the stadium should have been replaced 10+ years ago, but on going scraps with the city have gone no place. personally i'm surprised Spanos has never taken a more hard line with the city in order to get a new stadium. iirc he couldnt because of the lease agreement and its expiration.

the Murph needs to be retired asap. the great city of SD needs a world class facility. the fact it can host Super Bowls because of the weather every 3-5 years is a very strong reason. the fact the Bolts have a large and very hardcore fanbase that has grown up with the team i think will keep the team in the area. it may not be SD proper, but other cities like Chula Vista are putting out proposals. ultimately this gets done and the Bolts stay where they should.

the Metrodome was a needed solution in MN at the time. the old Met the Vikings played in (along with the Twins) was a converted-upgraded minor league baseball facility. i went to quite a few games back in the 70s and it was awful. not to mention the fact it had low capacity and was outdoors. the Metrodome came about just after we moved from MN in the early 80s and was an immediate upgrade. at the same time it was like most high tech items these days. outdated by the time it opened for business. by the mid 90s it was outdated and the 'new' stadiums being built then blew away the Homerdome.

MN i hate to say it is a very cash strapped state, a welfare state to be honest. it has never been able to recover from the loss of jobs/revenue from the manufacturing, mining and timber industries dating back to the 70s and 80s. i was shocked that the UofM got a new stadium before the Vikings. the Twins i understand, but the UofM over the Queens. come one now. the Twins are popular statewide, but the Vikings are THE state's team. with the exception of the intermixed GB fans along the state lines with WI (dont even get me started on that). the MN-GB rivalry is downright nasty and heated. i live in chicago, bears fans try and make the GB and CHI rivalry to be big. they have no idea. a friend of mine that is a lifelong GB fan laughs at CHI fans when it comes to it. GB fans dont want to see the Vikings leave because of the rivalry.

ok back on subject......MN simply doesn't have the money to build a stadium. but now they are at a critical juncture, because the contract with the Vikings ends after this season. the state simply CANNOT afford to lose the team. the money the team produces, the jobs the stadium would provide is money and jobs the state needs. the state has rode this out as far as it could without having to 'pony up' the funds. with the contract set to expire, they seem to really be looking to resolve this. the new site will be north of downtown MSP in Arden Hills. the Wilf family has pledged ~$400M of the reported $1B to build the facility. i think this gets done finally and the Vikings stay in MN.

if the Vikings do move to LA it will have an immediate HUGE fan base. it won't be LA people excited to now have a NFL team. it will be existing Vikings fans. SoCal overhaul has a massive amount of MN transplants. outside of MN, the 2nd largest Vikings fanbase fan club is - you guessed it, in the LA/OC/SD area. i remember going to Rams-Vikings games at the Big A and it was at least a 60/40 split (rams/vikings) of fans. like i said though i think the Queens stay in MN where they should be. if they don't it will be a very tough ticket to get between transplants (like my dad) and new fans lining up for tix.

the Bills i've only heard a few reports concerning them, but again it comes down to an old stadium. lack of cash for a new stadium. very devoted fans. a stadium that has already been renovated and is at max capacity. hmmmm sounds like SD and MN all over. not sure where the Bills are in their lease with the city/state/county that runs the stadium, so i couldn't speculate.

the one team that personally i think leads the pack now to relocate to LA are the Jags. they have the most current stadium, so it's nearly impossible for the owner(s) to play that trump card. the thing was built in '95, so it isn't that old. the bigger issue they have is attendance. the team has struggled with this for years now. they may have turned this around last season, but time will tell. sounds eerily similar to Rams flight to STL by G Frontiere.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
ive been following this for years. the Bolts and the Vikings for years have been the leading candidates to move to LA, because of their current stadium leases. ive been a life long Vikings fan and also a fan of the Bolts after college, when a bunch of us got season seats. as a result ive been interested to see what would happen to my teams.

the two teams that make the most sense are the Bolts and the Vikings. the Bolts came from LA and has a large fan base in OC and LA with the departure of the Lambs and Faders. the Vikings have a massive existing fanbase already in the SoCal area.

the 'Murph' in SD is a remnant of the old 60's cookie cutter multi-purpose facilities. imo the stadium should have been replaced 10+ years ago, but on going scraps with the city have gone no place. personally i'm surprised Spanos has never taken a more hard line with the city in order to get a new stadium. iirc he couldnt because of the lease agreement and its expiration.

the Murph needs to be retired asap. the great city of SD needs a world class facility. the fact it can host Super Bowls because of the weather every 3-5 years is a very strong reason. the fact the Bolts have a large and very hardcore fanbase that has grown up with the team i think will keep the team in the area. it may not be SD proper, but other cities like Chula Vista are putting out proposals. ultimately this gets done and the Bolts stay where they should.

the Metrodome was a needed solution in MN at the time. the old Met the Vikings played in (along with the Twins) was a converted-upgraded minor league baseball facility. i went to quite a few games back in the 70s and it was awful. not to mention the fact it had low capacity and was outdoors. the Metrodome came about just after we moved from MN in the early 80s and was an immediate upgrade. at the same time it was like most high tech items these days. outdated by the time it opened for business. by the mid 90s it was outdated and the 'new' stadiums being built then blew away the Homerdome.

MN i hate to say it is a very cash strapped state, a welfare state to be honest. it has never been able to recover from the loss of jobs/revenue from the manufacturing, mining and timber industries dating back to the 70s and 80s. i was shocked that the UofM got a new stadium before the Vikings. the Twins i understand, but the UofM over the Queens. come one now. the Twins are popular statewide, but the Vikings are THE state's team. with the exception of the intermixed GB fans along the state lines with WI (dont even get me started on that). the MN-GB rivalry is downright nasty and heated. i live in chicago, bears fans try and make the GB and CHI rivalry to be big. they have no idea. a friend of mine that is a lifelong GB fan laughs at CHI fans when it comes to it. GB fans dont want to see the Vikings leave because of the rivalry.

ok back on subject......MN simply doesn't have the money to build a stadium. but now they are at a critical juncture, because the contract with the Vikings ends after this season. the state simply CANNOT afford to lose the team. the money the team produces, the jobs the stadium would provide is money and jobs the state needs. the state has rode this out as far as it could without having to 'pony up' the funds. with the contract set to expire, they seem to really be looking to resolve this. the new site will be north of downtown MSP in Arden Hills. the Wilf family has pledged ~$400M of the reported $1B to build the facility. i think this gets done finally and the Vikings stay in MN.

if the Vikings do move to LA it will have an immediate HUGE fan base. it won't be LA people excited to now have a NFL team. it will be existing Vikings fans. SoCal overhaul has a massive amount of MN transplants. outside of MN, the 2nd largest Vikings fanbase fan club is - you guessed it, in the LA/OC/SD area. i remember going to Rams-Vikings games at the Big A and it was at least a 60/40 split (rams/vikings) of fans. like i said though i think the Queens stay in MN where they should be. if they don't it will be a very tough ticket to get between transplants (like my dad) and new fans lining up for tix.

the Bills i've only heard a few reports concerning them, but again it comes down to an old stadium. lack of cash for a new stadium. very devoted fans. a stadium that has already been renovated and is at max capacity. hmmmm sounds like SD and MN all over. not sure where the Bills are in their lease with the city/state/county that runs the stadium, so i couldn't speculate.

the one team that personally i think leads the pack now to relocate to LA are the Jags. they have the most current stadium, so it's nearly impossible for the owner(s) to play that trump card. the thing was built in '95, so it isn't that old. the bigger issue they have is attendance. the team has struggled with this for years now. they may have turned this around last season, but time will tell. sounds eerily similar to Rams flight to STL by G Frontiere.
Very Very Good.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
At this point it looks like the Vikings and Chargers, as they are the farthest from having deals done.
That's what I've heard as well. The Chargers owner is awful and Ziggy is a free spender, the Vikings would be the best choice.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
That's what I've heard as well. The Chargers owner is awful and Ziggy is a free spender, the Vikings would be the best choice.
Me too.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losange...=la&id=6801669

Looking like a done deal.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
21Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Bring back the Rams I say. I hated when Georgia Frontiere took the money and ran to St.Louis.
agree

21Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Quattro

I'm a Charger fan but I would hate for them to come here. They are San Diego's team. The only one of the potential teams without deep roots in their current city is the Jaguars. That is the best option imo.

Rams or (especially) Raiders? HELL no. Those ships have sailed.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote