HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
07-24-2011, 01:38 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

vCash: 500

Arghh!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:43 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
George Gillet and Pierre Boivin did it with the Habs. They were not in an as bad position financially but the team was crap in the end of the 90s. It's crazy how a serious and hard working staff can flip a team's performance, success, popularity and value.
The two are not even close to being comparable. For the Canadiens the team was here, the new arena was built and the team had the richest history of all hockey. The only thing was the team had good but not great attendance.

With baseball you would have to find suitable land, build a stadium, accept MLB to let you move a team back to Canada, buy the team and sell all the tickets and luxury boxes from scratch. You're looking at a billion dollar plus investment, and a team failed and moved away not 10 years ago. It would be a huge gamble.

As I said before no one wants the Expos to come back someday more than me, but I'm not kidding myself. It's not happening, barring major changes in the economy and culture of Quebec and the United States. And now you have the Impact MLS team starting next year, with the growing popularity of soccer the MLS is probably going to be a major success in the coming years and decades, so that's going to make it even more unlikely for baseball to come back.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Holy ****. Did anyone just hear Rodger Brulotte on Melnick?

He went on for a good 15 minutes about how this is for real, and there's a group in place that's extremely serious about bringing a franchise to Montreal. Talked about how he was a skeptical when they approached him the first several times, and now he believes it.

He made it clear this was not a "rumour", that it was serious. And that if they get a plan together, they will go to Selig. They cited the Hippodrome as a place they would target as a playing field, and he brought up a recent study that Montreal would be a viable place for an MLB franchise.

There's a lot more he said, but in a nutshell...he's convinced they're going to make a play for a team, and with expansion likely coming, he said there was a chance that could be the window.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:00 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

He went on for a good 15 minutes about how this is for real, and there's a group in place that's extremely serious about bringing a franchise to Montreal. Talked about how he was a skeptical when they approached him the first several times, and now he believes it.

He made it clear this was not a "rumour", that it was serious. And that if they get a plan together, they will go to Selig. They cited the Hippodrome as a place they would target as a playing field, and he brought up a recent study that Montreal would be a viable place for an MLB franchise.

There's a lot more he said, but in a nutshell...he's convinced they're going to make a play for a team, and with expansion likely coming, he said there was a chance that could be the window.
Obviously a stadium downtown would be ideal but the hippodrome is a pretty good location and would be pretty awesome.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:00 PM
DAChampion

In 2004, one Canadian dollar was worth approximately 0.80 US dollars.

Today, one Canadian dollar was worth approximately 1.06 US dollars.

That's the difference between 20,000 fans a game and 26,000 fans a game.

If the Expos do come back to Montreal, the number 1 cause will be the financial crisis in the USA.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
shamrun

Quote:

My question would be is there enough of an interest in montreal to make the team work? Last time i watched the expos the stadium was border line empty.

I am happy to hear this news though. I am not a big baseball fan but when the team left i felt like crap

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM
coolasprICE

Figured it would be built at the hippodrome.though I doubt hampstead residents will be happy with the traffic....u2 was insane, but like Roger mentioned, it wouldn't be 80,000 per game

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:

I wish I heard this interview...that will teach my to listen to The Team 990 all day at work!

Still an extreme long shot (although you never know if Tampa is in bad enough shape, the AL East would be a perfect fit...), but I'm glad there's at least some interest from people with money. This group really needs to publicize their efforts.

I need my Expos!

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I wish I heard this interview...that will teach my to listen to The Team 990 all day at work!

Still an extreme long shot (although you never know if Tampa is in bad enough shape, the AL East would be a perfect fit...), but I'm glad there's at least some interest from people with money. This group really needs to publicize their efforts.

I need my Expos!

http://www.team990.com/sound_bytes/v...audio_clips/1/

click on the Rodger Brulotte joins Melnick in the Afternoon. I am not sure if its the same audio as posted above though. I am listening to it right now.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:33 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Really? Well I'm a little skeptical because it's so vague about who this group is...

If true, the Hippodrome isn't the most ideal location but it's much better than the East end.

Anyway, bring 'em back!

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Sports1131

Doesn't sound like there has been much planning done other than just throwing the idea around, but hopefully something comes of it.

Old
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Hugo Sham

hippodrome is ok. right next to namur metro and all the decarie arteries coming from st. laurent, laval, west island and montreal north / anjou. it's not downtown but it's much better than Olympic stadium area.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
walsy37

Hippodrome - terrible idea. But I would go anyway, I went to the Big Owe and would go anywhere to watch my 'spos. Let me be clear - I would hope Washington would give us our history back. That being said this will unfortunately never happen. Selig won't allow it.

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Hypothetically speaking, Joining the AL East would be tough... Don't get me wrong, playing against the Blue Jays would be great, the only thing is, The Yankees and Red sox. There's just so many about them that I just can't stand (Most because they basically championships). It'd be hard to make to Playoffs with the current system.

Look at the Blue Jays for example. They have a team that many could argue would fight for the division title in say, the AL Central or maybe even the AL West. Last Year theyfinished 85-77. Being in another division could have garunteed another 5-6 wins, perhaps more, Bring them to 91-71. The Rangers won the AL West with a record of 90-72 and the Twins won the AL Central with a record of 94-78. It's easily a playoff record.

That's all hypothetically speaking of course (and if they stick to the current playoff format).

I personally hope that they switch to the new format regardless if Baseball comes back to Montreal.

Old
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

I wouldnt bet a dollar on it.

The last time the MLB brought in expansion was in 1993.

Not exactly something they enjoy doing it seems.

Im going to be extremely pessimistic about this because i dont even wanna feel any bit hope until a shovel is in the ground.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I wouldnt bet a dollar on it.

The last time the MLB brought in expansion was in 1993.

Not exactly something they enjoy doing it seems.

Im going to be extremely pessimistic about this because i dont even wanna feel any bit hope until a shovel is in the ground.
Tampa and Arizona in '98.

With their new playoff format, They don't want interleague play in September, and the only way to prevent that is to Contract to 28 teams (won't happen) or Expand to 32 teams so Each league has 16 teams.

Old
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Sports1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Tampa and Arizona in '98.

With their new playoff format, They don't want interleague play in September, and the only way to prevent that is to Contract to 28 teams (won't happen) or Expand to 32 teams so Each league has 16 teams.
Why couldn't they just even up the AL and NL with 15 teams each?

Old
07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Hippodrome - terrible idea. But I would go anyway, I went to the Big Owe and would go anywhere to watch my 'spos. Let me be clear - I would hope Washington would give us our history back. That being said this will unfortunately never happen. Selig won't allow it.
Never say never, Bettman didn't want to move any teams back to Canada but he didn't have a choice. With the Dollar being stronger then ever, you never know

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Why couldn't they just even up the AL and NL with 15 teams each?
Teams are constantly playing 3 game series vs each other, so let's say each team in each league is playing, that means 7 games per league are going on, leaving two teams either not playing for 3-4 days, or constantly having interleague games going on, which they want to avoid.

As dumb as it sounds, 16/14 for a 30 team league is a must for baseball.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Never say never, Bettman didn't want to move any teams back to Canada but he didn't have a choice. With the Dollar being stronger then ever, you never know
I personally talked with Bob Dupuis in very early September of 2003 about staying in Montreal. The 'spos were 2 or 3 games back of the Marlins at the time (still pisses me off that Loria/Samson @$$holes got a world series) and they had just had that most amazing series against the Philies at the Big Owe (remember that 8 run deficit game - read http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230826120 for some awesome memories). Attendance at that series was only OK for a team in the thick of the wildcard. Bob told me that despite all the publicity around the team and the earlier attempt at contraction, MLB was having a tough time selling the team. They were begging people in Montreal to buy the team and absolutely would have sold it just to be rid of MLB's ownership, which was turning out to be a huge headache. They received 0 interest, no one entity stood up and even expressed any desire to keep the team. Do you really think they are going to turn around any time in the near future and somehow forget all that?

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Sports1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Teams are constantly playing 3 game series vs each other, so let's say each team in each league is playing, that means 7 games per league are going on, leaving two teams either not playing for 3-4 days, or constantly having interleague games going on, which they want to avoid.

As dumb as it sounds, 16/14 for a 30 team league is a must for baseball.
Ah, I know I've heard that explanation before. Makes sense, thanks!

Old
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
I personally talked with Bob Dupuis in very early September of 2003 about staying in Montreal. The 'spos were 2 or 3 games back of the Marlins at the time (still pisses me off that Loria/Samson @$$holes got a world series) and they had just had that most amazing series against the Philies at the Big Owe (remember that 8 run deficit game - read http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230826120 for some awesome memories). Attendance at that series was only OK for a team in the thick of the wildcard. Bob told me that despite all the publicity around the team and the earlier attempt at contraction, MLB was having a tough time selling the team. They were begging people in Montreal to buy the team and absolutely would have sold it just to be rid of MLB's ownership, which was turning out to be a huge headache. They received 0 interest, no one entity stood up and even expressed any desire to keep the team. Do you really think they are going to turn around any time in the near future and somehow forget all that?
they won't but with an american dollar at 94 cents Canadian (and not about to change in decades), revenue sharing back in MLB, etc anything is possible

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
I was at that 8 runs comeback and it is definitely my best live sport memory ever.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:08 AM
ymenard

Forget about the hippodrome, it's 100% impossible. That just basically means they aren't serious and they don't have a place. There are urbanists and architectural firms that are working since years with developpers and the city : it's all going to be TOD housing. There's nothing else going there.

ymenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:21 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymenard View Post
Forget about the hippodrome, it's 100% impossible. That just basically means they aren't serious and they don't have a place. There are urbanists and architectural firms that are working since years with developpers and the city : it's all going to be TOD housing. There's nothing else going there.
ya, that area has been on hold for years. that land is worth a lot, and it won't be cheap to live there once it becomes residential... it'll likely be an expansion of Hampstead.

It's too bad there are train tracks to the south and crappy industrial buildlings on the north side... if not for those, it could of been possible to have both res. development and stadium.

If we were an American city, those crappy industrial buildlings on the edge (Paree) would have been knocked down years ago and sitting there would be a baseball and football stadium.... Impact would have been much better off playing there too.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote