HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with the Opening night roster

Old
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Help with the Opening night roster

Hello everyone,

A group of us Oiler fans are trying to put some information together about the possible opening night line-ups for the various teams in the Western Conference. I have taken on the task of doing some some research on the Preds in part becuase having spent a fair bit of time on the Business Board I have been impressed at how the franchise has turned things around financially under new ownership and because I have great respect for the way your management and coach make so much out the resources they have.

In any case, the primary info we are looking for right now is an estimate of the opening roster with line combos and defensive pairings. I suspect that your top four on the back end will look something like

Suter Weber
Klein Blum

I would have had Bouillon with one of your kids but I gather that he is on the shelf. Does Lebda slot in or would you go with two of your kids back there and have Lebda in the PB?

Your forward combos are a complete mystery to me. I know a fair bit about many of the players individually but have no idea how they might end up being put together this year.

I am assuming that if Fisher is good to go that he and Legwand will be your top two centers.

Would it be fair to say that Kostitsyn, Erat and Hornqvist would be three of your top four wingers? Any chance that Beck makes the jump this year or is he in Milwaukee to begin the year?

Obviously, there can still be some moves before the season opens and there can be some surprises. But based on what you know right now, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Your forward combos are a complete mystery to me.
Same for Barry Trotz till he waits for my playing card roster so he can put in a deck of cards and pull them from a hat.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

BFC isn't joking. We really have no clue. Trotzy switches them up all the time and even lines and pairings starting the night can't be expected to end that way. Doesn't need to be injury related, Trotz' eyebrows make the decisions on the fly. It's kind of a joke around here. It could be anyone.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

With the players we have and from what ive seen and know of our current players heres my attempt at lines

Sk-Fisher-Hornqvist - Our most consistent line at end of season and round 1.
Erat-Legwand-Wilson
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo
Bergfors-O'reilly-Smith - I have Smith there because of how much the management already loves him and how they convinced him to sign a deal.

Weber Suter
Blum Klein
Ellis Josi

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

you would have more luck taking the first 3 numbers out of a bngo reel than predicting what we will throw out there

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

the only line I'm confident will start will be what was successful towards the end of the last season

Kostitsyn-Fisher-Hornqvist

You're top 2 pairs on D were spot on as well. Other than that though, who freaking knows?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Fourier

Thanks,

I must say I am not surprised at what I am hearing.

When I said that your roster up front was a mystery to me it was not becuase I don't know anything about the players or your team. As many of you have said, watching the Preds it is clear that at the best of time Trotz seems to like to mix it up. But this group is something else. You seem to have about 10 guys that not only is it tough to tell which lines they will play on, its hard to tell what position they will play as so many of your forwards can realistically play multiple postions.

In any case, I appreciate the responses so far and welcome any additional comments.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:35 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
BFC isn't joking. We really have no clue. Trotzy switches them up all the time and even lines and pairings starting the night can't be expected to end that way. Doesn't need to be injury related, Trotz' eyebrows make the decisions on the fly. It's kind of a joke around here. It could be anyone.
But, honestly, what coach doesn't switch up lines? Living in northern Virginia, I follow the Caps at times and their coach switches up lines also. It depends upon who's playing well, who's meshing, who's hurt.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Jarnberg

Probably something like:

Erat - Fisher - Kostitsyn
Hornqvist - O'Reilly - Wilson
Spaling - Legwand - Smithson
Tootoo - Geoffrion - Bergfors

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Laakso - Josi
Ellis / Lebda

Rinne
Lindback

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:04 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Probably something like:

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Laakso - Josi
Ellis / Lebda

Rinne
Lindback
Halischuk? extra forward?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Probably something like:

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Laakso - Josi
Ellis / Lebda

Rinne
Lindback
Halischuck over Geoffrion, to start atleast, imo.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
But, honestly, what coach doesn't switch up lines? Living in northern Virginia, I follow the Caps at times and their coach switches up lines also. It depends upon who's playing well, who's meshing, who's hurt.
Oh, but lstcyr, you KNOW it's more than how frequently a typical coach switches up lines. He's the MASTER. Like a strict teacher, the minute one player starts to get comfortable enough with the other to start chatting, he's moved one of them. Shoot, poor Dumont got moved to the desk in the hall.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Oh, but lstcyr, you KNOW it's more than how frequently a typical coach switches up lines. He's the MASTER. Like a strict teacher, the minute one player starts to get comfortable enough with the other to start chatting, he's moved one of them. Shoot, poor Dumont got moved to the desk in the hall.
And he's paid very handsomely to use his players in the way he thinks best. And he seems to do that with our making the playoffs nearly every year.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Halischuk? extra forward?
More than likely.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Everlong
-

It's hard to predict with this team. It's like Trotz uses a magic 8ball to decide what lines will work. Anyways...

SK - Fisher - Erat
Wilson - Legwand - Hornqvist
Spaling - Smithson - Tootoo
Halischuk - O'Reilly - Bergfors
Geoffrion/Stortini

Weber Suter
Blum Klein
Ellis Josi
Lebda

Gives us a good balanced lineup.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Laakso makes it over Ellis or Josi, not both but he'll make it over one of those.

My guess on the defense is:

Weber - Suter
Blum - Klein
Josi - Laakso
Ellis

I fully expect Lebda to be waived before the season starts.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think Laakso makes it over Ellis or Josi, not both but he'll make it over one of those.

Weber - Suter
Blum - Klein
Josi - Laakso
Ellis

You don't want Ellis hitting the press box. If he's not playing in Nashville, then get him some ice time in Milwaukee. That 7th spot is probably for Lebda for the time being.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Agree with triggrman on the defense pairings (except for Ellis being 7th) and agree with AtlantaWhaler that if Ellis isn't the top 6 he's going to be in Milwaukee. Lebda is fine for a 7th D-Man.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
It's hard to predict with this team. It's like Trotz uses a magic 8ball to decide what lines will work. Anyways...

SK - Fisher - Erat
Wilson - Legwand - Hornqvist
Halischuk - O'Reilly - Bergfors
Geoffrion/Stortini

Weber Suter
Blum Klein
Ellis Josi
Lebda

Gives us a good balanced lineup.
You're missing one thing, where's the scoring?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
cleangene

Scoring is not an important part of PREDS hockey.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Kostitsyn - Fisher - Bergfors
Erat - Legwand - Hornqvist
Wilson - O'Reilly - Halischuk
Stortini

Suter - Weber
Blum - Klein
Josi - Ekholm
Laakso

Rinne
Lindback

Three two-way scoring lines and a checking/energy unit. We possess the ability to roll four lines and play an uptempo in your face, aggressive forechecking style that screams "Predators hockey"...

Scoring comes from the team concept. It's spread around throughout the lineup with different lines stepping up on any given night and the defense and special teams getting involved too. If you're looking for a lineup that's top heavy with stars leading the way and crap bringing up the rear, you're looking at the wrong team. There is no "I" in PREDATORS!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
cleangene

Don't you expect Ellis making the big club out of camp, SL??? Any idea about how long you think he will take to develop into a full-time PRED?? Btw, I liked your projected lineup with the top 6 forward from earlier in the summer much better than tonight's version.

Old
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Don't you expect Ellis making the big club out of camp, SL??? Any idea about how long you think he will take to develop into a full-time PRED?? Btw, I liked your projected lineup with the top 6 forward from earlier in the summer much better than tonight's version.
Ekholm provides balance as a two-way defenseman and has an outclause in his contract this season that allows him to return to Sweden if he dosent make the team out of camp. I believe Ekholm will make it a tough enough decision for the team that they will keep him up.

Josi makes it over Ellis due to experience, but I could see this going either way. I think they'd like to see Ellis prove himself as ding capable in his own end against fully grown men and maybe master the finer details a little bit at the AHL level before throwing him to the wolves in the NHL. Ellis didn't look out of place last season in his series with the Ads...I could definitely see him making the team, but I don't think it'd be Josi AND Ellis to start the season, but rather one or the other.

I still believe there is a move to be made up front, but my roster tonight works with our current roster. Patience is required before we see who that "top-6 forward" will be, but know that he's coming...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Weber - Suter
Blum - Klein
Josi - Laakso
Ellis

I agree about Lebda he was thrown in to make the deal but he won't see the ice here

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Ekholm provides balance as a two-way defenseman and has an outclause in his contract this season that allows him to return to Sweden if he dosent make the team out of camp. I believe Ekholm will make it a tough enough decision for the team that they will keep him up.

Josi makes it over Ellis due to experience, but I could see this going either way. I think they'd like to see Ellis prove himself as ding capable in his own end against fully grown men and maybe master the finer details a little bit at the AHL level before throwing him to the wolves in the NHL. Ellis didn't look out of place last season in his series with the Ads...I could definitely see him making the team, but I don't think it'd be Josi AND Ellis to start the season, but rather one or the other.

I still believe there is a move to be made up front, but my roster tonight works with our current roster. Patience is required before we see who that "top-6 forward" will be, but know that he's coming...
You ARE the man! Thanks for the insight (and reassurance).