HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kopitar for MVP? ESPN think so...

Old
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
LombardiTool

vCash: 500
Kopitar for MVP? ESPN think so...

For any other ESPN Insider subscriber, ESPN has an article on Kopitar now being an MVP candidate with Mike Richards in the fold. I dont have time to read it now but when I do, I will post my comments.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...e-anze-kopitar

Last edited by Telos: 07-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I guess it's possible considering that Kopi won't see the oppositions top-pair 100% of the time, and that he will finally have the same LW (assuming he's healthy) the whole year.

But it's a long-shot at best.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 07-26-2011 at 07:01 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
If Kopitar needs another great player's help to become the MVP, then I don't think he's really MVP material.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
If Kopitar needs another great player's help to become the MVP, then I don't think he's really MVP material.
Who was the last Forward to win a hart trophy without AT LEAST two all-star quality forwards on his team?

Even Gretzky had Messier, Coffey and Kurri.

Perry: Ryan, Getzlaf, Selanne.
H. Sedin: Daniel, Burrows, Kesler.
Ovechkin: Semin, Green, Backstrom.
Crosby: Recchi(24-44-68), Malkin, Gonchar.

Need I go on?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

ESPN doesn't know ****!

Oh, err, wait, they're saying something good about the Kings?

I'll just uh... I gotta go...

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

oh no.... JINX....

Kinda liked it more when we flew under the radar 100% of the time....

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Who was the last Forward to win a hart trophy without AT LEAST two all-star quality forwards on his team?

Even Gretzky had Messier, Coffey and Kurri.

Perry: Ryan, Getzlaf, Selanne.
H. Sedin: Daniel, Burrows, Kesler.
Ovechkin: Semin, Green, Backstrom.
Crosby: Recchi(24-44-68), Malkin, Gonchar.

Need I go on?
Fair point, but on the other hand, how many playoff-caliber teams don't have at least two all-star quality forwards? Even our much maligned-offense has Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty (since you're counting Gonchar and Green).

I'm not suggesting that a Hart trophy winner is a guy who scores 50 goals while the rest of his team struggles to tie their skates. But if Kopitar is just a better player when he has a much better center behind him, that sounds more like a good player making the best of an improved situation than a Hart winner, which to me is someone who carries their team to success. Getzlaf missed 15 games in Perry's Hart season; Daniel missed 20 games in Henrik's, and in both cases the MVP stepped up their game in the absence.

If Kopitar steps up his game dramatically next year and leads the Kings past where they're expected to go, more power to him, and he can have every award they give out. But if he just picks up 10 more points with better/more consistent linemates, which is about what I expect, then that's just a very good player, not a Hart winner.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:19 PM
KingNick07

Quote:
Really?

KingNick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Nefarious
Brad Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
ESPN doesn't know ****!

Oh, err, wait, they're saying something good about the Kings?

I'll just uh... I gotta go...

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

Can an ESPN Insider on these boards please copy and paste the article here?

Thanks ahead of time!

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:43 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

kopi!!!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:45 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Fair point, but on the other hand, how many playoff-caliber teams don't have at least two all-star quality forwards? Even our much maligned-offense has Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty (since you're counting Gonchar and Green).

I'm not suggesting that a Hart trophy winner is a guy who scores 50 goals while the rest of his team struggles to tie their skates. But if Kopitar is just a better player when he has a much better center behind him, that sounds more like a good player making the best of an improved situation than a Hart winner, which to me is someone who carries their team to success. Getzlaf missed 15 games in Perry's Hart season; Daniel missed 20 games in Henrik's, and in both cases the MVP stepped up their game in the absence.

If Kopitar steps up his game dramatically next year and leads the Kings past where they're expected to go, more power to him, and he can have every award they give out. But if he just picks up 10 more points with better/more consistent linemates, which is about what I expect, then that's just a very good player, not a Hart winner.
woah slow down buddy! kopi is only 23, and hes played under terry murray,one of the most defensive minded coaches, for his whole career (correct me if im wrong).. he is a special talent and i cant think of many centers who are capable of matching his point totals playing under terry murray. and as for the point you made about perry and sedin, ray emery stepped up and stole many games for the ducks down the stretch, and dont forget players like visnoski, ryan, koivu, selanne.. and as for the canucks, they are deep as *******. you cant say it was just perry or sedin who saved their teams.

if kopi didnt get hurt he would finish with about 80 pts and if kopi adds "just" 10 points to his 80 pts, that would be a total of 90 pts which would be sixth most pts according to last seasons totals. and yet you are saying that would make him a very good player as if he isnt a very good player already!?

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
woah slow down buddy! kopi is only 23, and hes played under terry murray,one of the most defensive minded coaches, for his whole career (correct me if im wrong) he played .. he is a special talent and i cant think of many centers who are capable of matching his point totals playing under terry murray
He played two seasons under Marc Crawford, the anti-TM, but point taken. I agree that TM's offense is pretty conservative but I ask: what centers who currently outscore Kopitar would no longer do so on a TM team? I don't know that any of them would. I think that very good players (including Kopitar) figure out how to score their points in whatever system they are in, and I think the TM effect is largely overblown.

Quote:
and as for the point you made about perry and sedin, ray emery stepped up and stole many games for the ducks down the stretch, and dont forget players like visnoski, ryan, koivu, selanne.. and as for the canucks, they are deep as *******. you cant say it was just perry or sedin who saved their teams. if kopi didnt get hurt he would finish with about 80 pts and if kopi adds "just" 10 points to his 80 pts, that would be a total of 90 pts which would be sixth most pts according to last seasons totals. and yet you are saying that would make him a very good player as if he isnt a very good player already!?
Kopitar is already a very good player. Quite possibly a top 10 center in the league. I'm not saying he's a bum because I don't think he'll win the Hart, or else there'd be an awful lot of bums in this league. My assumption is that Kopitar is "now a Hart trophy candidate" because he's got more talent around him, and I don't think that has anything to do with the Hart. It might make him an Art Ross candidate, or a Richard candidate. But I think the Hart is more about a subjective (ie, highly debatable) decision about what player lead his team to unexpectedly high grounds with a brilliant personal performance. The fact that we have a better team to me seems like it would detract from, rather than increase, his chances of the Hart, because he'll presumably have more help now and won't need a brilliant personal performance for the Kings to make the playoffs. But like I said earlier, if he comes out and scores 120 points and is a dominant figure at both ends of the ice, absolutely give him the Hart. I just don't think that'll happen, or at least that it won't happen BECAUSE of his new supporting cast. We'll see.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Corey Perry*

Kopitar is a great player, but he's not MVP great. If Crosby is healthy, it's his to lose. The main reason Perry was able to win was because Crosby got injured.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Pucknut50

Crosby and Ovechkin then everyone else.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
cyclones22

Okay, who has actually read the article? I have and it's more about Kopi being an Art Ross candidate than MVP. The premise of the article is the presence of Richards having an effect on Kopi being in better position to score with taking more offensive zone starts. Only at the end does it even touch on that putting up more points may translate into Kopi having an "MVP-caliber season". If Kopi does end up being in the Art Ross race, he most definitely will be under MVP consideration if the Kings are a top seed in the West.

As far as Kopitar potentially being MVP quality, did anyone prior to last season think that Perry was a Hart candidate? What about Sedin the year before? Looking at the history of Hart winners, it's a cavalcade of repeat winners who are/were generational type talents. Kopi is not a generational type talent, but he is absolutely capable of having a Hart trophy quality season and that's what the article is saying. Jose Theodore, Martin St. Louis, Joe Thornton, Henrik Sedin and Corey Perry have been awarded Harts in the last 10 years. Nor would I have bet on any of them being named league MVP prior to the year they actually were awarded it. I would not call any of them generational type talents, unlike Ovie and Crosby, who incidentally garnered the other 3 awards. You don't have to be a great player to win the award, you just need to have a great year. So if not Ovie or Crosby, why not Kopitar?

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Crosby and Ovechkin then everyone else.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote