HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Blackberry BBM Question

Old
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

vCash: 500
Blackberry BBM Question

I preface this question by saying I searched HF for a Blackberry thread and couldn't find an appropriate one. Also I'd ask a Blackberry forum or wireless provider forum but those take forever to get responses.

Right, so my old plan expired and now I'm interested in getting a Blackberry with a new one. I was interested in using BBM when I got one, but that would require a data plan. Now I heard from friends that some providers have plans that include data but are "BBM only" data plans, so instead of paying around $25 extra a month for a data plan, I would pay $5-$10 extra for the BBM only data.

I was interested in buying the Blackberry Bold 9780. Fido provides free BBM with the Blackberry Curve 8520 on certain plans, but I don't want that phone.

My question is, who provides this sort of plan for the 9780? I checked Rogers, Fido, Virgin, and Koodo online, and none of the plans they show online seem to have such a plan. Is it that I have to physically go to a store and they would accommodate me there?

Thanks in advance.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Yeah they call it a social plan I think?

Gives you facebook and twitter access and BBM messaging. You can call the provider or just go to a store for details.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
19nazzy

Wind Mobile has the phone and you can get the social media add-on which is Twitter/Facebook/BBM for $5 a month. No contracts and you're in the coverage zone.

07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
You can use an unlocked Blackberry on Fido and still benefit from the free BBM option as long as you've got an in market plan of $35 a month or more (the $35 unlimited local calling + worldwide text + BBM, CityFido plan for example).

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:11 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=794850

This was the BB thread but it hasn't been used in a while so no wonder you couldn't find it. Took me a bit.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
DG

I feel like most of the major carriers have that kind of plan... they might not characterize it as "Free Social Networking" or whatever, but I think most plans include that "all-in" these days.

However, I believe I have seen that exact feature on a bus ad for Rogers.

Going to the store would be a good idea though.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:57 AM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

I had no clue you needed BBM included. I guess I take it for granted (at 70 a month though they ****in better include BBM)
I'd go to carriers in your area and see what they say. Sometimes they can sweeten the deal for you. They'd also probably know a little more than the forum (not that we arent helpful)

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
I had no clue you needed BBM included. I guess I take it for granted (at 70 a month though they ****in better include BBM)
I'd go to carriers in your area and see what they say. Sometimes they can sweeten the deal for you. They'd also probably know a little more than the forum (not that we arent helpful)
BBM = free. But BBM runs through your data plan, so technically, it takes up some of the data in your data plan (unless you have what the OP was describing with free social networking and BBM).

But BBM's bandwidth usage is marginal at best so for most with a data plan, it wouldn't be a big factor. I'd think the "social networking" plans would come in only if you don't get a data plan at all, which again, I think are mandatory in most packages for most major carriers these days if you get a smartphone.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:14 AM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

I have 512MB plan on my BB. I watch youtube, browse the internet all the time. The BlackBerry seems to have a special way of packing data to make it less intensive. So when the guy sais 512MB dont get too angry. It is plenty.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
DG

Quote:
I have 512MB plan on my BB. I watch youtube, browse the internet all the time. The BlackBerry seems to have a special way of packing data to make it less intensive. So when the guy sais 512MB dont get too angry. It is plenty.
Exactly, way more than enough.

Old
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Indeed, BIS servers compresses data for BlackBerry users. It cuts it almost in half while being just a bit slower. It's a good trade if you ask me.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Rogers offers a family plan of 1GB of shared data, 400 shared minutes, and unlimited social networking which includes BBM and a bunch of other IM programs as well, all for $100. Also gives discount on the 9780 and one free phone. I might just one of my parents to join in on this plan (both of their plans expired as well) and use all the data for myself since they would never use the data.

Old
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Also, thanks for all the help guys. I love how a sub-forum on a hockey forum is more helpful than the actual Blackberry/Rogers forums.

Old
07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroticBakery View Post
Also, thanks for all the help guys. I love how a sub-forum on a hockey forum is more helpful than the actual Blackberry/Rogers forums.
Check out http://www.howardforums.com/

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote