HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me score on breakaways, please

Old
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
beth

vCash: 500
I just had to come and post that this thread totally helped me, and I finally scored my first breakaway goal. I was skating down with the puck and just thinking, "don't try to get fancy, just stick it 5-hole". To my surprise, it totally worked. The first breakaway that I didn't whiff on.

So thanks!!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I've only started getting breakaways recently as I switched from D to forward once I moved from competitive hockey to recreational. I found that if I go in looking thinking shot it helps a lot more then trying to go in thinking deke. Basically rush in, look for the shot, if the goalies not giving you anything then make a quick move (a lot of people use forehand to backhand). Don't try to get too fancy, just a quick move to get the goalie out of position, when you try to embarass people you tend to just embarass yourself.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Rizzy13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH6_zxJ2mI8

Last edited by Rizzy13: 07-27-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: link
Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Logie

My favourite move is the backhand mid to high, goalies always struggle, because they always get there leg down to cover low and they really cant cover the high slot.

But when i watch most in rec games, they skate straight at the goalie, you need to move rather then just go straight and move the back, do both and get the goalie to commit and it will open another space.

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
PuckyTheWhale

gotta go with the half clapper, top cheddar. Catches the goalie off guard

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Devil Dancer

Success! I got my first breakaway goal in ages by following West's advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
1) Never ever skate straight at the net. Skate to a point 6-8 feet off one of the posts. This will make the goalie have to continuously re-adjust his angles as you come in for a shot.

It's also great for dekes as your first move is cutting hard to the opposite post or just going straight. If you do it right you'll can have more or less an empty net.
I headed for the goal post to my left, and about 5 feet out cut to the other post. As I cut in the goalie went down, limiting his ability to slide across. By the time I got to the far post there was a huge gaping hole. I calmly slid it in, no problem.

Thanks again for all the help!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:26 AM
Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I just had to come and post that this thread totally helped me, and I finally scored my first breakaway goal. I was skating down with the puck and just thinking, "don't try to get fancy, just stick it 5-hole". To my surprise, it totally worked. The first breakaway that I didn't whiff on.

So thanks!!
Personally, I'm a deker.

Nonetheless, if you think you're turning into a shooter, the key is speed. Goalies always start high on Breakaways/shootouts. U need to get him/her deeper into the net and one of the best ways to do that is to come in as hot as possible.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:30 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Deking succeeds at a FAR higher % than shooting but a shoot in stride might be the best option of all. It however takes a lot of practice to be accurate with.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Learn the shoulder drop. Once you learn that....scoring on a breakaway, or otherwise, is much easier. Drop that shoulder, wait for the goalie to shift weight one way or another(requires watching him), and then put the puck where he can't go. Often times, this is right along the ice to a bottom corner. "Freeze" him. Watch what pure goal scorers do in the NHL. They score when they get the goalie to commit first. If the goalie is patient, they often get denied. Let the goalie dictate where you are going to go.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Coming from a goalie, patience is key. Make the goalie commit before you commit. If you can get him on the wrong side of the net, it's over. Just be patient and make him make the first move.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote