HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Quailer what is happening?

Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
Steve Quailer what is happening?

Does anyone know when we have to sign Steve Quailer I have always liked this kid love to see him playing in Hamilton with Alain Berger. (I saw some where that they were trying to convert him to a center man)

Any news would be amazing thanks.

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post
Does anyone know when we have to sign Steve Quailer I have always liked this kid love to see him playing in Hamilton with Alain Berger. (I saw some where that they were trying to convert him to a center man)

He's going back to Northeastern, he has 2 years left of eligibility, so it's conceivable that the deadline to sign him will be August 15th 2013. They may try and sign him next summer if he has a bounce back year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Subnordi

I would love to see Steve in a Habs jersey at some point in his career, great skating ability, and great size, he needs to work out off ice though which I read he wasn't doing.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:07 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Well, he was redshirted, so that's a year in devellopement he lost. I have a man crush on the guy, I hope he comes back to his old self. He was amazing in camps.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall View Post

We have until August 15th 2013 to sign him. Northeastern lost their head coach, which usually means you will lose some incoming commitments since some will opt to leave now that the person that recruited them is gone. Plus they just lost one of their top defesemen in Oleksiak who is leaving for the OHL. So as an upperclassmen next season he should play a bigger role with the club in what could be a tough year for Northeastern depending on the new coach and how it works out. I believe he was a scout for the Pens or NYI.

Hopefully Quailer can get back on track, it will be interesting to see if the team will continue it's hard working defensive game or go in a different direction under the coach. Either way Quailer see get a lot of quality ice time so it should be a safe bet that he will have better success since you can't do much worse then just 3 goals for a top 6 forward in a full season. Granted missing a full season has to be tough and I fully expect him to produce like he did in his Freshman year

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Fozz

Someone will have to explain to me how this works... He missed a year of hockey but not a year of school. Why would he not be considered a senior?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Someone will have to explain to me how this works... He missed a year of hockey but not a year of school. Why would he not be considered a senior?
He was redshirted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Quote:
In a redshirt year, a student athlete may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but he or she may not compete during the game. Using this mechanism, a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus creating the phenomenon of the "fifth-year senior."

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of their eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.
It's much more widespread in College football though, where big time programs have enough talent to redshirt some freshmen and give them a chance to learn the ropes before getting into actual games.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He was redshirted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

It's much more widespread in College football though, where big time programs have enough talent to redshirt some freshmen and give them a chance to learn the ropes before getting into actual games.
Atheletes often dont take as many classes eg some ive known take 3/5 load so have something left to study also why many dont receive degrees

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 07:45 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Steve Quailer

Okay so I know he was just a 3rd round pick, and he totally fell off of the map last season but anyone think this kid could be an NHL'er someday? He suffered a pretty horrible leg break (I think) and missed an entire calender year, could it be possible he could rebound? He's not that young now, but it wouldn't be the first time a serious injury derailed a guy for an entire extra season. If you can't do anything and miss an entire calender year it makes sense that you'd possibly not pick up where you left off.

Anyone ever seen him play? I remember when they drafted for him I liked his name and his size.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Okay so I know he was just a 3rd round pick, and he totally fell off of the map last season but anyone think this kid could be an NHL'er someday? He suffered a pretty horrible leg break (I think) and missed an entire calender year, could it be possible he could rebound? He's not that young now, but it wouldn't be the first time a serious injury derailed a guy for an entire extra season. If you can't do anything and miss an entire calender year it makes sense that you'd possibly not pick up where you left off.

Anyone ever seen him play? I remember when they drafted for him I liked his name and his size.
I thought he was a fifth round pick

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

It was his knee. I saw him once this year, a couple times in his Freshman year, Northeastern isn't on national tv very often. Hard to say what the future holds for him, if he can't score in the NCAA then I don't see much hope for him as he's not physical and doesn't use his big frame well imo. Next season should be a big test for him to see where he's at now that he will be an upperclassman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
I thought he was a fifth round pick
3rd round, 86th overall

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Chet-Nick

Quailer had a productive freshman season ...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=107533

Where he was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team.

Since they're still in a crucial part of developing. Knee injuries can be a major setback to prospects.

The Hockey News' 2009 Future Watch issue had Quailer ranked as Montreal's tenth best prospect. Stating ...Has size, range, intelligence and is a strong skating two-way player.

Guess it comes down to confidence. We'll have to wait and see what the kid can do this year.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It was his knee. I saw him once this year, a couple times in his Freshman year, Northeastern isn't on national tv very often. Hard to say what the future holds for him, if he can't score in the NCAA then I don't see much hope for him as he's not physical and doesn't use his big frame well imo. Next season should be a big test for him to see where he's at now that he will be an upperclassman.

3rd round, 86th overall
Ahh, it's a lot more troublesome to hear it's his knee.

Will be interesting to see what he does next season though.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Anyone seen him play lately? Would like to know if he put on some weight. Tall lanky kid, that seemed like he needs to fill out his frame.

I remember when we drafted him, I thought he looked more like a baseball pitcher than a hockey player.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote