HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev's interview to Sport Express (Ukrainian news paper)/ Updated with new quotes

Old
07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Zherdev's interview to Sport Express (Ukrainian news paper)/ Updated with new quotes

Below is the recent interview with Nick Zherdev.

I need to apologize for the style- at work, trying to rush through the translation.

Nikolay Zherdev: I was “suffocated” in Philadelphia

Nikolay Zherdev explained his misfortunes in Philadelphia.

Q: It seemed that you did not get to play enough with the Flyers because you did not fit with the coach.
A: Yeh, I was kind of “suffocated” in Philadelphia. That what happened.
Q: What kind pf coach is Lavilolette? Does this type of coaches need just goons?
A: No, we had a few skilled players. It was difficult for me to get into top 6 to play 20 minutes per game. The coach did not want to change lines that have played well (had chemistry) together. It was too challenging for me to showcase myself in the bottom 6.
Q: May be you were just a hostage of the small contract?
A: Not really, there were guys in the first 2 lines that made less than me.
Q: Historically, Flyers are skeptical toward Russian players. Have you felt that?
A: I’ve heard that we are not in favor there. We(Russian players)had been beaten there earlier. I had a descent preseason and the coach promised me a place in the top 6. But, I was in the bottom when the season started. I was told that I had to fight more (I think the meaning was to be tougher; CSKA). But I am not a fighter, right?
Q: It has been said that you had bigger problems with the GM than with the coach. Is that true?
A: I was told recently about his remarks in press. That I was an outsider on the team, and that I do not use a car. I just wonder how he can say that about me when he had seen me for 4 times at most. How can he know what kind of person I am? And why could not I use the car service if I do not know the city and I do not have a car? What’s wrong with that? It’s my personal right.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 08-09-2011 at 01:15 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Below is the recent interview with Nick Zherdev.

I need to apologize for the style- at work, trying to rush through the translation.

Nikolay Zherdev: I was “suffocated” in Philadelphia

Nikolay Zherdev explained his misfortunes in Philadelphia.

Q: It seemed that you did not get to play enough with the Flyers because you did not fit with the coach.
A: Yeh, I was kind of “suffocated” in Philadelphia. That what happened.
Q: What kind pf coach is Lavilolette? Does this type of coaches need just goons?
A: No, we had a few skilled players. It was difficult for me to get into top 6 to play 20 minutes per game. The coach did not want to change lines that have played well together. It was too challenging for me to showcase myself in the bottom 6.
Q: May be you were just a hostage of the small contract?
A: Not really, there were guys in the first 2 lines that made less than me.
Q: Historically, Flyers are skeptical toward Russian players. Have you felt that?
A: I’ve heard that we are not in favor there. We(Russian players)had been beaten there earlier. I had a descent preseason and the coach promised me a place in the top 6. But, I was in the bottom when the season started. I was told that I had to fight more (I think the meaning was to be tougher; CSKA). But I am not a fighter, right?
Q: It has been said that you had bigger problems with the GM than with the coach. Is that true?
A: I was told recently about his remarks in press. That I was an outsider on the team, and that I do not use a car. I just wonder how he can say that about me when he had seen me for 4 times at most. How can he know what kind of person I am? And why could not I use the car service if I do not know the city and I do not have a car? What’s wrong with that? It’s my personal right.
Is there a link to Homer's comments? I find it hard to believe he would criticize a guy for using a car service.

As always, thanks so much for the translation. Has there been any news on Bob? He hasn't been heard from for a while.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Parts of this make me think Zherdev is an entitled diva, and then I got to the parts that made me think "wtf, Flyers Organization"...if he isn't completely making crap up.

I wonder if the "fight more" thing was something that was lost in translation to Zherdev, same for the car thing.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Is there a link to Homer's comments? I find it hard to believe he would criticize a guy for using a car service.

As always, thanks so much for the translation. Has there been any news on Bob? He hasn't been heard from for a while.
Maybe Zherdev was cruising around in that limo and Homer didn't like it? Still, I don't recall ever seeing comments made by Holmgren unless it was to European media and we never heard about it.

07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:

I seem to remember him saying it, can't recall where though.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

It was a video on the Flyers website or CSNPhilly. You can probably still find it. If I recall correctly, Homer was just referring to Z as an odd guy in the room.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Lavy's custom fitted helmet for Zherdev

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

"Fight more" hardly sounds like Laviolette seeing as how most of us were worried about his almost no-tolerance stance on fighting back when he coached Carolina.

I'm curious as to whether or not Zherdev really believed Lavi wanted him to "goon it up" somehow.

What a disaster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Lavy's custom fitted helmet for Zherdev

Well, Laviolette HATED people who overstayed their shift. That was a point of emphasis from him. Zherdev was far and away the biggest offender of that rule.

I think Zherdev was legitimately confused almost as if the harder he tried the more people were mad at him. Unfortunately it seemed as though things never got through to him.

I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes, but I'm glad he's no longer here.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
"Fight more" hardly sounds like Laviolette seeing as how most of us were worried about his almost no-tolerance stance on fighting back when he coached Carolina.

I'm curious as to whether or not Zherdev really believed Lavi wanted him to "goon it up" somehow.

What a disaster...

Well, Laviolette HATED people who overstayed their shift. That was a point of emphasis from him. Zherdev was far and away the biggest offender of that rule.

I think Zherdev was legitimately confused almost as if the harder he tried the more people were mad at him. Unfortunately it seemed as though things never got through to him.

Lavi probably told him he needs to show more fight, and Zherdev though it meant "punch others in face."

If that's not the case then Lavi has gone insane.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

What a disaster...

oh don't necessarily disagree...Zherdev hung himself with the rope Lavy gave him which was pretty short to begin with...

Just thought the suffocation term was funny and ironic but yeah players like him and Leino again are creative and don't do well in stifling systems but the overstaying shift deal and dogging it in practice is all on Zherdev.

Anyway...Holmgren bears responsibilty in thinking the Flyers halfway house was going to reform this dude. I was skeptical from the beginning but at least it was only one year..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Zherdev did play really well at times, and I feel like it is equally his fault and the organization's fault that it didn't work out. Z seemed to play really well at times, but then would be removed from the lineup for long periods of time. Now this is not to say it was solely the organization, but it must be hard to get into any routine when you don't have consistent linemates or ice time.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
SHaf89

Quote:

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...-for-nhl-work/

Link to the Holmgren quotes.

SHaf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

I remember Homer saying something along those lines. Saying Z wouldn't car pool (aka go with teammates) and used the car service instead. I think it was shortly after the playoff exit, during the "Richards sucks at handling media" questioning.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

The best I could find:

Old
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

Half of that interview was lost in translation.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Thanks, CSKA. I still don't see any problem with the car service thing. If the guy is that shy he probably is the kind of person that needs to be drawn into doing things with others. I remember Homer at one point saying the only guy Z was friends with was Richards but it sounds like that wasn't entirely true.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I remember Homer saying something along those lines. Saying Z wouldn't car pool (aka go with teammates) and used the car service instead. I think it was shortly after the playoff exit, during the "Richards sucks at handling media" questioning.
I remember that too. He asked him "why don't you get a ride with one of your teammates instead of using a car service?" or something like that. Paul said this when he said the Z never really fit in with the group and felt uncomfortable.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-27-2011 at 01:40 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
oh don't necessarily disagree...Zherdev hung himself with the rope Lavy gave him which was pretty short to begin with...

Just thought the suffocation term was funny and ironic but yeah players like him and Leino again are creative and don't do well in stifling systems but the overstaying shift deal and dogging it in practice is all on Zherdev.

Anyway...Holmgren bears responsibilty in thinking the Flyers halfway house was going to reform this dude. I was skeptical from the beginning but at least it was only one year..
Anyway I am glad Holmgren took a shot on Zherdev. The guy has talent and sometimes all a player needs is to mature a little bit. It did not work out so big deal. Homer set it up for a one year deal which was a good move. You skeptical? DrDoom

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I remember that too. He asked him "why don't you get a ride with one of your teammates instead of using a car service?" or something like that. Paul said this when he said the Z never really fit in with the group and felt comfortable.

Quote:
“[Zherdev was] kind of an outsider here,” general manager Paul Holmgren told the media after last season. “I think some of that is a language barrier and I think some of that is just how he is. I asked him yesterday why he had a car service all year. Why wouldn’t you ask one of your teammates to give you a ride? He’s just a different guy.”

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
BringBackStevens

Seems clear that Zherdev is never going to "get it" in regards to his ice time

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Half of that interview was lost in translation.
Please provide corrections, so that nothing is missing for the folks here.

Thanks.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Nothing wrong with that interview. Infact he's very kind towards the flyers.

About the fighting thing, it clearly means " to show more fight". Not to drop the gloves.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I'm surprised no one picked him up yet. He put up a lot of goals for someone who played that little.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He seems like a perfect fit for LA, I have no idea why though lol

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I love how the 2nd question goes straight to the Flyers only being goons.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Please provide corrections, so that nothing is missing for the folks here.

Thanks.
No, no, the translation isnt bad. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that when moving from one language to another, the original meaning of the speaker is always lost by at least a little bit. Like the "fight" thing. Obviously you translated that correctly, but Zherdev didnt actually mean that Laviolette wanted him to goon it up. And like Gagne's article on the Kings website. If he was told to write it in French, I'm sure it would sound a bit more sophisticated

Sorry, I wasnt criticizing your translation at all, I appreciate you posting these interviews

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote