HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gutaffson-Perreault

Old
07-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Gutaffson-Perreault

I apologize if I'm way off base here or if there's a better thread to post this in (didn't see any sort of master thread for trades/roster moves/etc).

How do you all feel about a trade centered around Erik Gustaffson and Mathieu Perreault?

From the Capitals perspective, Gustafsson would be an upgrade over McNeill as the #8 on the depth chart (probably playing a good portion of the season in Hershey), and would ensure that Orlov gets a full season in the AHL. And with Perreault no longer being waiver exempt, there's a chance that the Capitals could lose him for nothing if he doesn't crack the roster out of camp.

Perreault offers the Flyers scoring depth. Eight of your top nine appear to be set, and you guys still have plenty of center depth (especially in the young player/prospect area), but your 13th/14th forward spots seem to be pretty questionable, especially if a top 6 forward goes down to injury. Perreault offers you an energy player with offensive pop who can be plugged into the Top 6/9 in a scoring role in case of injury/slump. If converted to wing, he could potentially challenge Nodl for the 3LW spot as well.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Blatant trolling?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I apologize if I'm way off base here or if there's a better thread to post this in (didn't see any sort of master thread for trades/roster moves/etc).

How do you all feel about a trade centered around Erik Gustaffson and Mathieu Perreault?

From the Capitals perspective, Gustafsson would be an upgrade over McNeill as the #8 on the depth chart (probably playing a good portion of the season in Hershey), and would ensure that Orlov gets a full season in the AHL. And with Perreault no longer being waiver exempt, there's a chance that the Capitals could lose him for nothing if he doesn't crack the roster out of camp.

Perreault offers the Flyers scoring depth. Eight of your top nine appear to be set, and you guys still have plenty of center depth (especially in the young player/prospect area), but your 13th/14th forward spots seem to be pretty questionable, especially if a top 6 forward goes down to injury. Perreault offers you an energy player with offensive pop who can be plugged into the Top 6/9 in a scoring role in case of injury/slump. If converted to wing, he could potentially challenge Nodl for the 3LW spot as well.

I don't see the Flyers trading a young defenseman for another Forward. The Flyers are pretty thin on defense prospects.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Garbage Goal

What the above poster said. Even disregarding that, it's a pretty unnecessary trade.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

pass

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
hockeyfreak7

I'm a huge Perreault fan. He's really Briere-lite, and I love watching him play and hated when the Caps would send him down.

That being said, the Flyers are in no situation to be trading a defensive prospect who looks like he might one day develop top four ability. I'm really hoping Gustafsson turns into one of those under the radar defenders, not very flashy guys who gets by with a solid skill set and a good hockey head.

So, yes, I want him to be Kimmo Timonen 2.0

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:59 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Yeah we really have no other d prospects.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Yeah we really have no other d prospects.
Somewhere...Kevin Marshall is crying.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

why would the flyers trade their top d prospect for someone they could potentially get for nothing. that's where this fails

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The value's not that bad and I really like Perreault as a player, but it just doesn't fit our needs. We need a guy like Gustafsson, whereas we really don't need Perreault.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
why would the flyers trade their top d prospect for someone they could potentially get for nothing. that's where this fails
Because there's no guarantee that Perreault doesn't make the Caps, and even more to the point, the Flyers aren't very high in the waiver order so there'd be no guarantee that the Flyers would get him even if they claimed him.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote