HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Will Richards be the 1st line center or will Anze keep that spot?

Old
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
There is no true #1, because we dont have a stand out winger that would be the #1 winger. We have 4 equal wingers and 2 star centres who will both play in all situations.

Im more interested in seeing how opponents match up, whether they put out their top Dmen against Kopi or Mike, since i doubt Murray plays with matchups. With great 2 way players on every line, he can just match up line for line

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Does it matter? If Richards ousts him it's because he's playing like a stud, and if he doesn't then that's ok too because he's playing against the other teams weaker lines.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Depends how you define '1st line C'. My best guess would be that Kopitar is deployed in an offensively-oriented role while Richards is deployed more like Kesler was prior to last season (without the same heavy zonestart split that the Sedins/Kesler had). Icetime will probably be very similar, so designation of a 'first' and 'second' line will probably be in name only, and little else.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
I'm sure alot of us wouldn't want Stoll to be out there either. If it's a face-off in the dzone I can understand, but he is only an average defensive center.
If its Stoll or Penner the choice is easy

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
qBIRD

While I'm hoping for an uptick in offensive stats (on the pp especially) I am stoked about our defense! With Kopitar and Richards being two of the best two-way centers in the league, Doughty hopefully having a much better season than last, we should be able to shut teams down!

qBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:13 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
If its Stoll or Penner the choice is easy
Agreed

I would think at some point to close games, we might see Richards Kopi and Stoll on the ice at the same time.

scramble91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by qBIRD View Post
While I'm hoping for an uptick in offensive stats (on the pp especially) I am stoked about our defense! With Kopitar and Richards being two of the best two-way centers in the league, Doughty hopefully having a much better season than last, we should be able to shut teams down!
Agreed. I think Kopi, Penner and Williams all have big offensive years if they stay healthy. Couple that with our stacked D, there are a lot of things to look forward to.

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Whiskeypete

i think from game to game it will change. the Kopi line will be listed on the card as #1, but TMu will be using Kopi and MR interchangeably. TMu always looks to play the match up game against the other team's lines and he will inevitably be shuffling the two for what he sees as the best matchup.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Excellent WP.

I had really considered it before but I am certain that we will see Kopi MR and Brown or Gags or Pens etc on the ice at the same time. TM will spin the wheel.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Corey Perry*

Kopi.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I don't think TMs system really has line #s, he just spins a wheel that he hides behind the bench and then throws the lucky line out there.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:43 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
I don't think TMs system really has line #s, he just spins a wheel that he hides behind the bench and then throws the lucky line out there.
Heres how TM chooses the lines. I noticed he was tempted to throw Quick back

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:55 PM
spudboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I don't remember Butch playing center. I thought he was a winger. But then again, I was only 8 or 9 back then and didn't follow them nearly as much as I do today.
Yes, he always was a center. He was the Kings #1 center until Dionne arrived. And, he was the #2 on the Island, behind Trottier. A great #2 to have. Hopefully, the Richards' play will make his trade turn out to be as bad for the Flyers, as that Goring one was for the Kings.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
LA Kings coach Murray already juggling lines for next season

http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2011/07/l...-juggling.html

Quote:
So, now that he has a legit top-six...and by the far the deepest Kings roster he's ever had - on paper - will he be putting the blender away?

When talking to the coach about his new options, the obvious place to focus was on the addition of a pair of former Flyers. "Those are two really good adds to our team," Murray started by saying. "Mike Richards is an outstanding hockey player. When you look at (Simon) Gagne being part of the team now, they've played together before. There was good chemistry, good results on both sides of the puck. So, I have a tendency when I'm writing down lines - which I have done already - to have those guys together on a line."

Then came the comment that can be used for some fun debate over the next six weeks until camp opens - "I do have a tendency to go with two players on a line and kind of fit it in from there and see how it falls in place."

Which he went on to explain, is how he's setting up the top two lines - "With (Dustin) Penner and (Anze) Kopitar (on the first line), Gagne and Richards (on the second line) - I'm kind of playing around with that in my mind and on paper right now."

What about the captain, Dustin Brown? He started last season on the top line with Kopitar. Where is Murray thinking of playing him next season? "I've gone through that process. I've moved it around to different looks. Justin Williams is in there too. I have Williams with Kopitar sometimes."

Nothing is set in stone quite yet though. "Again, getting some thoughts down on paper right now is all that I'm doing," explained Murray. "Just getting myself ready for what I want to do as training camp approaches. We'll just play it out. I'll have some conversations with players by phone over the rest of the summer and see how they're feeling."

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Johnny Utah

Curious the know what the lines were in Philly toward the end of the season....I think Richards was playing with Versteeg?

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:25 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Curious the know what the lines were in Philly toward the end of the season....I think Richards was playing with Versteeg?
Scott Hartnell - Danny Briere - Ville Leino
James van Riemsdyk - Claude Giroux - Darroll Powe
Nikolay Zherdev - Mike Richards - Kris Versteeg
Dan Carcillo - Blair Betts - Ben Holmstrom

3 scoring lines.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
This is who he played with in the playoffs (even strength):

22.49%
13 CARCILLO,DANIEL - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

11.39%
28 GIROUX,CLAUDE - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

9.45%
15 NODL,ANDREAS - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

9.3%
17 CARTER,JEFF - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

9%
18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS - 93 ZHERDEV,NIKOLAI

7.65%
18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 21 VAN RIEMSDYK,JAMES - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

3.6%
48 BRIERE,DANIEL - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

3.15%
36 POWE,DARROLL - 18 RICHARDS,MIKE - 10 VERSTEEG,KRIS

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:41 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

So he played with Carcillo, Nodl or Powe 35% of the time. Safe to say Simon Gagne is huge upgrade from them. Williams or Brown is a big step-up from Versteeg too.

In fact, i'd venture to say that during the playoffs, he never played with 2 guys as good as he'll play with here.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

All I know is this will be the best line Richards will have been on the last few years

Old
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
There is no true #1, because we dont have a stand out winger that would be the #1 winger. We have 4 equal wingers and 2 star centres who will both play in all situations.

Im more interested in seeing how opponents match up, whether they put out their top Dmen against Kopi or Mike, since i doubt Murray plays with matchups. With great 2 way players on every line, he can just match up line for line
Two words to remember in this discussion, Terry Murray. The Houdini of line combos.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
All I know is this will be the best line Richards will have been on the last few years
Richie and Gags played together 2 seasons ago but Gags was coming off an injury and was really snakebitten. Then he blocked a shot and broke a toe in the playoffs and missed some time again. Eventually, Gags and Carter, with 3 broken feet between them, played with Richards. Carbomb was in the mix as well. Last season it was a cluster**** of wingers so this will be the first season in ages where he has good linemates. It sounds like he and Gags are both healthy going in, which is huge.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
We could just have 2 1st lines, and 2 1st line centers. Line 1A and line 1B. Just put together the best LW-C-RW for both lines chemistry wise and watch the magic. However this is TM we are dealing with so he'll probably say line 1A has too much chemistry and break 'em apart.

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Richie and Gags played together 2 seasons ago but Gags was coming off an injury and was really snakebitten. Then he blocked a shot and broke a toe in the playoffs and missed some time again. Eventually, Gags and Carter, with 3 broken feet between them, played with Richards. Carbomb was in the mix as well. Last season it was a cluster**** of wingers so this will be the first season in ages where he has good linemates. It sounds like he and Gags are both healthy going in, which is huge.
Didnt realize, has been ages