HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

ISP's

Old
07-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
ISP's

Looking to get an internet connection setup at my new place of residence.

Getting a laptop is Step 1, but once that's accomplished, which internet service provider should I consider going with? Bell/Rogers, or "the little guys"?

If the latter, list a couple I could look into; currently considering Acanac.

I'm looking for something with high to unlimited bandwidth, and obviously inexpensive but also reliable.

Any Torontonians care to weigh in?

Thanks!

07-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Bell

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
neofury*

Don't go with Bell. For one an American couldn't possibly understand just how bad Bell is in Canada (^)

For two Bell is beyond brutal bad. Be prepared to complain a lot when services aren't supplied properly or at all, or when a service goes down be prepared to be told it's on your end even though it isn't and be refused a technician. Unless you're extremely direct and know your stuff about computers they'll do everything in the book to avoid sending you a technician even if you're a business customer. As a former business client of theirs I can tell you they are far from understanding what practical (not even good, just practical) customer service is.

You don't leave a business without internet for a few days, this isn't some guys residence we're an IT company. We would basically have to escalate the calls until we spoke to somebody very high up in order to get our issues dealt with immediately and not whenever bell felt like it.

We do a lot of remote support and one time long after we ditched Bell we were dealing with a client in Ontario who was still with them. Well guess what, we had to do a bunch of changes to their system one week and Bell went down. Lets just say they couldn't operate for one week after repeated attempts from their office manager and myself to get Bell to go on site and fix a problem that was on their end. In the end it was on their end and this company went without service for 4 full business days. This is completely unacceptable period.

When I had them for residential services it was even worse. If you want to be treated like garbage just to save 10$ a month and be given an inferior speed throttled service that they lie to your face about when setting it up, then go with Bell. I don't know where you live but Bell/Rogers are probably two of the worst possible options you could choose.

If I had to choose though I'd go with Rogers if only because of how brutally bad Bell is. If they're willing to let business customers hanging for days and that's after you've finally gotten their high ups to take notice, imagine waiting a week and repeatedly being told it's on your end only to have a technician finally come and tell you flat out that it was 100% on their end and that the people on the phone support don't know their ass from their elbow. One thing I will say if you do get Bell, the first time you have a problem ask for names to hold people accountable, often times they'll go to "transfer" you after 1 hour of explaining the situation to the person and you get cut off. Then you need to start all over because of course they don't keep any information about your recent issues on your account, oh and that reference number you got last time, might as well wipe your ass with it because they still make you re-explain the issue.

Their Canadian support department is simply inept, mostly outsourced and the people couldn't give a **** about helping you. It's a game to waste as much of your time as possible. Now a days when a client has them I've learned my lesson, I just ask to speak to a manager immediately, every single time without fail they've given me the whole "they aren't here" or "they're in a meeting and won't be back for a while" bit, and each and every time I tell them I'll wait on hold then, and magically within 10-15 minutes tops I'm transferred to a local non out-sourced management person who takes care of it. Mind you once you get to that point they always resolve the issue, I don't have hours of time to waste with employees either refusing to escalate the issue, lying to me about the issue, telling me it's on my end, doing everything in the book to avoid doing a service call when the hours of my internet being down they waste == dollars out of my pocket.

This company doesn't understand the meaning of customer service and the first time you have to actually deal with them due to a service outage you'll see it's like pulling teeth. How somebody could recommend them for internet services is beyond me. For one they don't ever provide the bandwidth they say they do, for two they throttle the **** out of it and give you a horrible traffic cap in the first place, for three if you ever have a problem they'll do everything in their power to not send you a technician to the point of just wasting X amount of hours of time delaying the inevidable, the fact that a technician will need to be sent to fix the issue with their lines. /raggggggge

As an IT professional who has to often call them on behalf of our clients (not as much anymore as most local clients have switched) I find it infuriating how incompetent their IT department is. They're in the business of wasting peoples time. When I call Videotron for an outage they do 15 minutes of testing and then they send a technician. For residential I often have to wait one business day. By the time I could pin somebody down to actually agree to give me a technician with Bell often times it had been 2 business days. When I finally started to understand and realize how to deal with them I'd pin that person down within 1-2 hours of escalating, waiting on hold etc, and finally they'd over to send a technician within max 48 hours which would then end up being more like 72 hours.

For your business to be down for 2.5-3 days because Bell can't get their act together is simply unacceptable. With Videotron our current ISP we've had ups and downs but when there's an issue they're promptly trying to resolve it and technicians are sent.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

my brother hasn't had any problems with bell and he's been with them for 7-8 years. everyone had ups and downs with a company usually. depends on who you talk to on the other end. I'm with telus and they aren't the best but I've called enough to get a good deal lol.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I would strongly suggest shopping around.

Bell offers DSL and Fibre.
Rogers offers Cable.
I'm not sure what the smaller ISPs in the area are, or what quality of service they offer is.

DSL is likely the cheapest option, but connection speed depends on how far you are from the hub. It also is usually the slowest speeds.

Cable is a good middle ground, depending on how it is set up, you might notice some slowdowns during peak times.

Fibre (for residential customers) is usually offered with comparable download speeds to Cable, but far superior upload speeds. I'm not sure if this will make much difference to you.

A couple things to keep in mind:
Both Rogers and Bell offer bundles, where they might pair up phone or TV in with Internet, so be sure to shop around and explore all your options. I believe the prices on the Bell website for their Internet are listed assuming you are ordering the Bell Bundle, which I believe also includes TV. You may want a bundle, you may not, but be sure to check to see what exactly you are paying for before making a decision. This also includes any installation or setup fees, as well as ongoing costs for the modem or other technology.

Bell's wireless internet package (where they set up their own wireless access point for you), is pretty crappy, but if you choose the DSL package and you're not very knowledgeable with technology, it might be the easiest way to set up wireless internet in your place (should you desire it). For cable, it's really easy to set up wireless, just need to buy a router (about $50 bucks).

All ISPs do some form of 'traffic shaping', for lack of a better term. In laymen's terms, this is slowing down your Internet or particular services (such as torrents) under the guise of making sure that there's enough Internet for everyone. Every ISP does it, even the ones that say they don't. I'm not sure if you're a huge downloader or gamer or anything like that, but if you are, it's worth doing a little research into what methods the different companies use and how it might affect you.

Not going to disagree with the guy complaining above about Bell, but keep in mind that service departments with Bell are seperate for business and residential customers. We've had some even more ridiculous mix-ups here in Nova Scotia during the Aliant/Bell switchover-takeover. I think my record was being transferred eight different times (twice ending up back at one of the original people I was talking to) to solve an issue with web hosting. I went from business support to residential support to sales. It would have been hilarious if I didn't have my bosses breathing down my neck wondering why our website was down.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 07-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
straka91*

Have no problem with Qwest's internet. Cable One has had the best that I have used.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Marble

I'm with Rogers and have never had an issue with it.

My parents were with Bell for a long time and the Internet would conk out whenever it was too hot or if it rained.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Very happy Teksavvy user in Ontario. 300GB per month for 36.10 all in bill with no contract and payed $75 for the modem. Download speed for straight DSL is reasonable at meets my needs at 4.3mbps.

Last edited by Hounsy: 07-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Happy Telus Optik user. I don't dl alot. It's part of a month package with my TV, home phone and cellular forgot what it costs alone but I get 15mbps.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
I'm currently with Telus as a cellphone subscriber, but I don't think home internet is in the cards....just did an availability check and it's only available in BC and Alberta.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go with Acanac, they have a fantastic deal for the first year users. 5 Mbps is the regular DSL speed, you can get 7 Mbps-12 Mbps if you choose Cable.

It's also unlimited bandwidth for DSL.

I play games, browse, stream videos, download torrents and I haven't had any problem. The modem is also 50$ that they give back once you stop using their service.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote