HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to trade Zuccarello ?

Old
07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Fireonk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I have nothing against the kid at all and deffinatly see the potential but thats just it, potential, plus his stature doesn't equate well in our system if he's not a 40g+ potential threat like Thomas is considered down the line.
No way is Thomas in the 40g+ potential category.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
No way is Thomas in the 40g+ potential category.

Thomas DEFINITELY has 40 goal potential. Doesn't mean he'll reach his ceiling, but he definitely can do it. My guess though is that he'll be a 30+35=65 player.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Graves was comparing Thomas' shot to Shannahan's ("the wow shot"). These kids are so young and some do not blossom right away. IDK how some fans can be so sure what their limitations are. Dubinsky and Callahan's #'s have been going up steadily year after year. Thomas has done more at the Junior level (offensively) than either one of them.
As for Zuccarello, maybe it was just me, but I liked the looks of that third line with Step in the middle and Wolski on the left. I don't think Mats should go anywhere right now. Lets give him more than 40 games to prove what he can do.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Thomas DEFINITELY has 40 goal potential. Doesn't mean he'll reach his ceiling, but he definitely can do it. My guess though is that he'll be a 30+35=65 player.
Only 5 players hit the 40 goal mark this year in the nhl. If the consensus was he had that type of potential, to be an elite nhl goal scorer, I'd think hed be much higher rated as a prospect.

Old
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Only 5 players hit the 40 goal mark this year in the nhl. If the consensus was he had that type of potential, to be an elite nhl goal scorer, I'd think hed be much higher rated as a prospect.
I agree. Thomas had a great year in the OHL last year. But I wouldn't put him in that category yet.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
hes got the NHL caliber elite shot to score 40 goals. but thats not going to be enough...id say he ends up being more of a 20/20 kinda guy. unless he gets paired with a pure setup guy like Richards.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Graves was comparing Thomas' shot to Shannahan's ("the wow shot"). These kids are so young and some do not blossom right away. IDK how some fans can be so sure what their limitations are.
Shanahan was also about 6'3, 220 lbs.

Of course no one knows what the limitations are but for me, personally, when I talk about a prospects potential I consider the reasonable expectations not the super high end where everything falls perfectly in place, since that almost never happens.

Old
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hes got the NHL caliber elite shot to score 40 goals. but thats not going to be enough...id say he ends up being more of a 20/20 kinda guy. unless he gets paired with a pure setup guy like Richards.
You mean like Stepan's ceiling can be in a few years?

I'm evisioning a very dangerous line of Kreider-Stepan-Thomas 4-5 years from now.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:

I'm evisioning a very dangerous line of Kreider-Stepan-Thomas 4-5 years from now.
I'm incredibly pumped for what Stepan can do. A bottle rocket in the WCs, WJCs, great numbers in college and a fantastic rookie season. Having a number one center is great, but having two would be better

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
pld459666

Quote:

yeah, that line has some scary potential to it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Shanahan was also about 6'3, 220 lbs.

Of course no one knows what the limitations are but for me, personally, when I talk about a prospects potential I consider the reasonable expectations not the super high end where everything falls perfectly in place, since that almost never happens.
That's true, but what if we were to compare Thomas' shot to say Colton Orr's, who is around Shanny's size and probably just as strong?
I don't think he'll score 40 on a consistent basis. Then again idk. I'd like to watch him play more.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Mason530

The only value I see is that he can help us to steal a few shootout games other than that ........ If Slat can get something worth more than that, go for it!

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
The only value I see is that he can help us to steal a few shootout games other than that ........ If Slat can get something worth more than that, go for it!
Can't help in the shootout if he's not in the lineup.

07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
That's true, but what if we were to compare Thomas' shot to say Colton Orr's, who is around Shanny's size and probably just as strong?
I don't think he'll score 40 on a consistent basis. Then again idk. I'd like to watch him play more.
My point was that Shanahan had good nhl size along with that nasty shot, where Thomas only has that shot. Don't get me wrong, I think Thomas will be a good player(I see him at around 25-25) but just because he has one comparable aspect to a former 40g+ scorer doesn't mean he has the same package.

Old
07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
My point was that Shanahan had good nhl size along with that nasty shot, where Thomas only has that shot. Don't get me wrong, I think Thomas will be a good player(I see him at around 25-25) but just because he has one comparable aspect to a former 40g+ scorer doesn't mean he has the same package.
anyone think Thomas can be a Mark Recchi type player, small player that plays hard and has a good shot and can score with a skilled move or stand in front of the net???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
msv957

You have to trust Gordie Clark with this pick. It could be another 2nd round gem. There is a lot to like about Thomas.

However, saying he has 40 goal potential in the NHL is PURE SPECULATION right now.

There have been many, many OHL stars who never made in the NHL.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
However, saying he has 40 goal potential in the NHL is PURE SPECULATION right now.
Any discussion of "potential" is speculation based on a player's performance at lower levels, and attempting to guess how that performance will translate to a higher level. Until any player makes the NHL, no one -knows- how he'll perform. They can only guess.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:51 PM
ocarina

For the people saying that Thomas has 40+ goal potential, keep in mind that only 5 players broke that mark this season: Perry, Stamkos, Iginla, Kesler, and Daniel Sedin.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
For the people saying that Thomas has 40+ goal potential, keep in mind that only 5 players broke that mark this season: Perry, Stamkos, Iginla, Kesler, and Daniel Sedin.
I think we all realize that but those guys were north of 40.

Most people arn't going to come in here and say I think he has 37 goal potential. I'd say the term "40g potential" implys 35-40 without narrowing down a number.

Would 35+ make you feel better?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:15 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
And Dubinsky scores 25 goals and we are throwing MILLIONS at him.

So if Thomas scores 25/25 I am thrilled.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
NYR Viper

Christian Thomas = Mike Cammeleri.

I have said it at least 10x

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Mike cammallieri is awesome and I'd love it if Thomas would turn into that. My comparison is zach parise on the devils. Same size, shot, style of play, all that.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Any discussion of "potential" is speculation based on a player's performance at lower levels, and attempting to guess how that performance will translate to a higher level. Until any player makes the NHL, no one -knows- how he'll perform. They can only guess.

What is the point you are trying to make?
My point is that there have been Hundreds of OHL or Junior stars who never made it in the NHL. Just trying to be a little realistic as hyping prospects is definately the thing to do on HF boards. It is almost impossible to speculate what a junior player will do at the NHL level but that is what makes it fun as fans.

However, as I mentioned there is a lot to like about Thomas. Thomas had a GREAT year in juniors last year. Gordie Clark knows what he is doing.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
I think we all realize that but those guys were north of 40.

Most people arn't going to come in here and say I think he has 37 goal potential. I'd say the term "40g potential" implys 35-40 without narrowing down a number.

Would 35+ make you feel better?
Haha, a little better. When someone says 40+ that generally means 40 or better.

Still don't think 35+ describes what Thomas is likely to become but I'd love to be wrong on that.

Old
07-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Christian Thomas = Mike Cammeleri.

I have said it at least 10x
thats not a bad comparison at all....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote