HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM/NYI proposal

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
i already propose this somewhere on these boards.
WE'RE NOT TRADING BAILEY.

Stop listening to the same 3 Islander fans who are clueless. Bailey was a 9th overall pick who had some monster years in Junior. Bailey has regressed a bit, but he's 21 and was the NYI's best player for a few weeks to start the season last year. His talent is there, but his confidence comes and goes.

The Islanders will give him, AT LEAST, another season to find his niche.

You Edmonton fans are starting to become the worst here on HFBoards, even worse than Leaf fans.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I think it did happen, but the Islanders have too many Forwards, they really really like Strome and El Nino but shouldn't rush Strome on the other hand he might do well since Barrie had too many forwards that year, maybe move Strome to RW if he makes it, which wouldn't have enough room for Hemsky. Bailey is what you call "The perfect 3rd line Centre." De Haan I think will be the Mike Green of the Isles, just isn't really a winner, on the other hand I trade him.

In conclusion, I wouldn't do this deal, maybe make a huge deal packaging De Haan, Nelson, (ya know) for a really good defenseman and draft a defenseman in the 2012 draft.

On the other hand Isles really like Kabanov.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

Stop listening to the same 3 Islander fans who are clueless. Bailey was a 9th overall pick who had some monster years in Junior. Bailey has regressed a bit, but he's 21 and was the NYI's best player for a few weeks to start the season last year. His talent is there, but his confidence comes and goes.

The Islanders will give him, AT LEAST, another season to find his niche.

You Edmonton fans are starting to become the worst here on HFBoards, even worse than Leaf fans.
Which is almost as bad as fans that definitively say what their team will or won't be doing like they have a say in the matter.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
He's not untouchable. But he's (i) young, (ii) had a very successful NHL rookie campaign, (iii) tough, (iv) cheap, and (v) healthy, and (vi) developing on an upward trajectory. Most of all, we've watched him play. He's just about our only D-man that's not physically overmatched in the corners. While that might sound pathetic (actually, it is), it may explain how we wouldn't want to trade him unless someone better who can play the same role is coming back. Capisce?

BTW, I think Rangers fans will admit that Hamonic has shown far more aptitude in his own zone and physical ability than Del Zotto has. And Isles fans will admit that Hamonic has no where near the kind of offensive skills that Del Zotto has. (I think Del Zotto has the chance of being the among the very best offensive D-men in the game.)

As for the comparisons between OEL, Elliot, etc. I think that Hamonic matches up pretty comparably in terms of value with those guys. He's just a different kind of player. I don't care if he's never been on top-75 lists. Hamonic was not a flashy name in his draft year. Almost two years later, Hamonic was still compared with Marco Scandella and Colton Teubert. Things change.

But what's the point? None of those guys would get traded for Hemsky either.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This is a well thought out post. We need more posters like you. While we disagree slightly I can at least see your point.

Saying, we AREN"T trading for Player X no matter what is just obtuse.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Which is almost as bad as fans that definitively say what their team will or won't be doing like they have a say in the matter.
And than you have crap like this. Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.. I'm only a big Islander fan who understands that Bailey was Garth Snow's first draft pick, and that Garth is on record saying that Bailey is going nowhere. Do you want me to find these article so that all you armchair GM's will stop?

And seriously, what kind of value does a 21 year old player, who can't seem to break out in the NHL, hold to another NHL hockey team? And why would a GM, who preceded a nutjob who traded away the farm, be so quick to trade a guy who has shown some flashes of brilliance at the age of 20?

Use.
Your.
Head.

Old
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Princeton

Quote:
So according to this thread:

1) Bailey is a colossal bust by the Edmonton Oilers fans on HFBoards. At the ripe old age of 21 years old, who still has put up numbers similiar to those in his draft class

FAIL

2) Hamonic is not as good as someone who is still in juniors, even though Hamonic has become a top NHL young player in just his first year, has opened the eyes of many of those who talked about him, and has many of the tools to become a top pairing defenseman.

FAIL

3) One year of a delapitated Hemsky, who will be overpaid tremendously in UFA, is worth one of these guys.

FAIL.

Enjoy your prospects and your players, we'll keep ours. How does that sound?
My point with Bailey was to point out that some NYI fans anoint their prospects as being unbelievable after a very limited time span. (Bailey was the example.) Hamonic being the most recent one. I do not believe Bailey is a bust at the ripe old age of 21. I just said that while he was hyped by guys like you as being your future #1 center, it has quickly changed to Tavares-Strome as your 1-2 punch.
Could this happen to Hamonic who is already being labeled as your future #1 stud franchise d-man? That's the point.
You are basing this off of 1 year. (because anything that happened in Junior doesn't count...right?)

I am not an Oiler fan. Nice try.

You FAIL. On so many levels.

Keep PatientlyWaiting

Old
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
My point with Bailey was to point out that some NYI fans anoint their prospects as being unbelievable after a very limited time span. (Bailey was the example.) Hamonic being the most recent one. I do not believe Bailey is a bust at the ripe old age of 21. I just said that while he was hyped by guys like you as being your future #1 center, it has quickly changed to Tavares-Strome as your 1-2 punch.
Could this happen to Hamonic who is already being labeled as your future #1 stud franchise d-man? That's the point.
You are basing this off of 1 year. (because anything that happened in Junior doesn't count...right?)

I am not an Oiler fan. Nice try.

You FAIL. On so many levels.

Keep PatientlyWaiting
When was Bailey ever touted as our No. 1 center?

What the hell are you talking about?

Can those of you who have absolutely no clue what is going on with Long Island stop commenting on the Islanders?

Because your post is completely inaccurate, that is the problem genius.

Old
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I think this thread has run its course...

Old
07-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Princeton

Quote:
When was Bailey ever touted as our No. 1 center?

What the hell are you talking about?

Can those of you who have absolutely no clue what is going on with Long Island stop commenting on the Islanders?

Because your post is completely inaccurate, that is the problem genius.
You're embarrassing yourself.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Using +/- as a measure of how good a player is defensively is a flawed argument. It's one of those stats that can be incredibly misleading due to factors way outside the control of the player.

Take for instance Nicklas Lidstrom. Would anyone suggest he's not fantastic defensively? Yet even on a strong Detroit team this season, he ended up being a -2. Would anyone suggest that all defensemen who had better than a -2 are better defensively than Lidstrom?

Old
07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

What a stupid thread, it's bringing out the worst in Isles and Edmonton fans.

Two rebuilding teams relying on high draft picks via the Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA model are not very good trade partners. With the level of immaturity in this thread, why is it still open?

Old
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
You're embarrassing yourself.
I was just admiring how Bailey was centering my first line and how a Junior hockey player held more value than a contributing, first year, 20 year old defenseman who put up 28 points in the NHL.

Keep. Going. You. Are. Amazing.

Old
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Proof View Post
Hemsky is injury prone and Hamonic has the potential to be a #1b dman. Not to mention,this would undoubtly solidify Oilers top pairing for the future with Whitney/Hamonic or Whitney/DeHaan IMO.
I know nothing of Hamonic other then what I read on the HF page which basically has him at the same level as Alex Plante or Colton Teubert....which IMO is not a worthy return for Hemsky.

I have never seen him play, and i know nothing of his playing style. Can you shed some light on him please?

Old
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I know nothing of Hamonic other then what I read on the HF page which basically has him at the same level as Alex Plante or Colton Teubert....which IMO is not a worthy return for Hemsky.

I have never seen him play, and i know nothing of his playing style. Can you shed some light on him please?
He is much better than both.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Islanderfan17

No way we give up Hamonic, he's going to be one of the better D-men on this team for years to come.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

He would be our top D prospect if we got him. He is like Petry but only younger and more physical.

edit: and this comes from someone who has been using a J.Petry picture as avatar for 3 yrs.

Old
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Hamonic is a pretty special kid. So much about his game - I mean really, soooo much... shot, physical play, stature, skating style - so much screams of him turning into another Shea Weber, it's almost just too good to be true. I don't think it's just Islander fans who feel this way. Folks around the NHL, and around Canada, know this kid is pretty special and have been talking him up since he made the Canadian WJC team. He's got a lot to like. He's an absolute fan favorite already to boot...

I can understand why fans from other teams feel that Bailey isn't developing properly or that he needs a change of scenary or even that he's a talented kid who has worn out his welcome on the Island. But if you watch real closely, a lot of what has happened in his first three seasons really doesn't differ much from the first three seasons the Sedins had. Seriously. He's had some flashes of brilliance, but just hasn't put it together for an extended amount of time - although he looked real good to conclude last season, even if the numbers don't show this. On top of it all, he even kind of skates like the Sedins and has shown more and more confidence in making the types of plays we've come to expect from them, primarily Henrik.

I know those are some big names I'm throwing out here, but even if these guys only turn into the poor man's versions of these NHL comparables, then those are two players this rebuilding Islander team simply cannot afford to deal at this point.

Old
07-27-2011, 05:44 PM
hskates21*

Quote:

He is more in the subban schenn territory as far as young d man go he plays a Shea weber type game

Old
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I think this thread has run its course...
You'd think, but then it comes back to the top again somehow...

EDIT: Also, to some of the other posters, in all fairness many people compared Teubert to Weber just 2 years ago when he was a top 15 pick, so things can change very quickly up or down. It seems Teubert is struggling and Hamonic is rapidly progressing, but some kids just develop at different rates.

Last edited by SDig14: 07-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
caley

I wish I could declare a moratorium on Oilers trade proposals. They seem to bring out the worst, not just in Oilers fans, but in fans of all teams.

I'll close this 'cuz it's easier than cleaning it up and I'm a lazy, lazy man. If there's any truth to this (i.e. not Eklund nonsense) someone can PM me and I'll re-open it. For now, though.

Closed Thread