HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Holmstrom's '98 Postseason

Old
07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Holmstrom's '98 Postseason

I was just casually browsing through Homer's career stats when one particular item really caught my eye: Holmstrom's numbers during the 98 Cup run.

He had 19 points in 22 games that postseason, only 1 point behind Fedorov and 5 behind Yzerman's team leading 24. If i'm looking at it correctly, he tied for 3rd (with Lidstrom) in team scoring during that run. Maybe even more surprising is that only 5 of those were power play points.

I personally remember the '97 run better than i do the '98 run, but does anyone remember Holmstrom having such a huge postseason? I remember him really making a name for himself that year, but i never realized it was to that effect. The numbers that he put up that spring were such an outlier from the rest of his career. Even during the 2008 Cup run he didn't put up anything close to 98. And in 2008 he was very effective and playing on the top line.

I cannot remember the lines from 98, but i'm assuming he had to have been playing with Yzerman or Fedorov?

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I was just casually browsing through Homer's career stats when one particular item really caught my eye: Holmstrom's numbers during the 98 Cup run.

He had 19 points in 22 games that postseason, only 1 point behind Fedorov and 5 behind Yzerman's team leading 24. If i'm looking at it correctly, he tied for 3rd (with Lidstrom) in team scoring during that run. Maybe even more surprising is that only 5 of those were power play points.

I personally remember the '97 run better than i do the '98 run, but does anyone remember Holmstrom having such a huge postseason? I remember him really making a name for himself that year, but i never realized it was to that effect. The numbers that he put up that spring were such an outlier from the rest of his career. Even during the 2008 Cup run he didn't put up anything close to 98. And in 2008 he was very effective and playing on the top line.

I cannot remember the lines from 98, but i'm assuming he had to have been playing with Yzerman or Fedorov?
Holmstrom basically replaced Tomas Sandstrom on Yzerman's line.

Kozlov-Fedorov-Brown
Shanahan-Larionov-Lapointe
Holmstrom-Yzerman-McCarty
Maltby-Draper-Kocur

He had this one joke about Scotty. "Scotty asked me why I was performing so good in the playoffs and I said, "I got more ice time in the playoffs."

But I guess you can really chalk it up to just players who prefer to save their best for the playoffs. Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall. Actually I probably shouldn't single those guys out. Unless your name is Crosby I really can't think off the top of my head of a player who's compete level is on extremely high for the whole year.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Harnessed in Slums

One of the things I remember is that he was so good about going to the corners to retrieve the puck. He was never a good skater but he found his niche pretty early on as far as going to the front of the net to redirect pucks, stuff in loose pucks, and create problems for the goaltender while also being able to do good work along the boards collecting pucks to keep the puck possesion going.

He earned his nickname Demolition Man during those two Cup runs IIRC.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Kozlov-Fedorov-Brown
Shanahan-Larionov-Lapointe
Holmstrom-Yzerman-McCarty
Maltby-Draper-Kocur
My God.

Look at those lines. I am drooling over here.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Yep, Homer was in Kolzig's kitchen on this first goal from Doug Brown. The line for this goal was Brown-Feds-Homer.

http://wn.com/1998_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

On the next clip Homer is out there with McCarty and Yzerman and nearly buries a loose puck off an Yzerman shot. Kolzig deflects it out of harm's way.

On another clip Yzerman sends Homer in all alone on a breakaway. Not being the fleetest skater or having much in the way of dekes or a shot he basically falls into Kolzig and doesn't score.

This next one at the 4:50ish mark is a perfect example of Homer collecting the puck along the boards, circles behind the net and finds Larry Murphy for the goal. That's the one thing that you don't see much from Homer any more.

Old
07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Here's another great set up from Homer from that series against the Caps in 98. The guy was just so great along the boards.

http://wn.com/1998_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

Old
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I watched all of those 1997 and 1998 playoff runs and a bit more today. Holmström was just incredibly good at 1998, nothing more. He started really rolling at the 2nd round.

Here's some of his scoring at the playoffs:

Game 4 against Phoenix
2-1 Slava kozlov (Fedorov, Holmström)

Game 1 against Blues
4-2 Tomas Holmström (Yzerman, McCarty) PP

Game 2 against Blues
1-3 Tomas Holmström (Fedorov)

Game 3 against Blues
2-1 Tomas Holmström (Kozlov, Fedorov)

Game 4 against Blues
3-2 Slava Kozlov (Holmström, Fedorov) GWG

Game 6 against Blues
5-0 Tomas Holmström (Yzerman)
6-0 Steve Yzerman (Holmström)

Game 2 against Dallas
1-2 Slava Kozlov (Holmström)

Game 3 against Dallas
0-4 Jamie Macoun (Holmström, Larionov)

Game 1 against Washington
0-1 Joey Kocur (Brown, Holmström)
0-2 Nicklas Lidström (Yzerman, Holmström) GWG

Game 2 against Washington
0-1 Steve Yzerman (Holmström, Lidström)

Game 3 against Washington
1-0 Tomas Holmström (Yzerman, McCarty)

Game 4 against Washington
3-1 Larry Murphy (Holmström, Lidström)

2 goals and 3 assists are missing, but looks like he started in a line with Fedorov, because Doug Brown was injured. Then they moved him mainly with Yzerman. In the first final he is a 4th liner with Kocur and Brown. Typical Scotty juggling...

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Yeah, you can tell from those score sheets he played a ton with Fedorov and Yzerman. The assist totals are what were most impressive.

Old
07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Sadekuuro

Lapointe had a huge run too. Those two guys were great yet largely under the radar.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
One of the things I remember is that he was so good about going to the corners to retrieve the puck. He was never a good skater but he found his niche pretty early on as far as going to the front of the net to redirect pucks, stuff in loose pucks, and create problems for the goaltender while also being able to do good work along the boards collecting pucks to keep the puck possesion going.

He earned his nickname Demolition Man during those two Cup runs IIRC.
My favorite memory of him was watching him join a 3-on-2 and, instead of getting into position to receive a pass, skidding to a stop from full speed to face his ass to the goalie and screen him. One of the Wings' d-men scored only a few seconds later from the point.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote