HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jackets sign Prospal

Old
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I've added Kubalik because he is our version of Holmstrom
I think we should also have Filatov on 'cause he's our version of Kovalchuk.

oh wait

I'm as bullish on Kubalik and some of the other kids as anyone here, but let's not jump to conclusions that quickly, okay?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Premature on park that big ass in the crease

and tip the frickin puck? I see your point and I'm sure Richards can figure out his own combinations..

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:18 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Neat fact:

I saw Prospal score his first NHL goal, live in Pittsburgh when I was a young lass. If memory serves me correctly, he scored his first two goals that game, but it's been so long I can't remember if it was two or just the one.

!
He scored twice. I just happen to have the highlights from that game, and Prospal scored his first 2 NHL goals in this game.

He also did play with Lindros and LeClair for a while.

This is supposed to be an 'up' year for Prospal.

I'm happy to be able to see him play in Anaheim. Maybe even in Columbus on the off chance my anthem audition goes as I hope.

jdhebner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
He scored twice. I just happen to have the highlights from that game, and Prospal scored his first 2 NHL goals in this game.

He also did play with Lindros and LeClair for a while.

This is supposed to be an 'up' year for Prospal.

I'm happy to be able to see him play in Anaheim. Maybe even in Columbus on the off chance my anthem audition goes as I hope.

????

Old
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
WhydoesCanadahateus

Yeah I second that...WHAT?!?! If you go anywhere near Leo I might have to take action

WhydoesCanadahateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:34 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhydoesCanadahateus View Post
Yeah I second that...WHAT?!?! If you go anywhere near Leo I might have to take action
I have no plans to replace Leo. I just read that there are occasional openings when Leo is not available, that's all. I'm just sending in an audition DVD.

jdhebner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:22 PM
BluejacketNut

While I like Leo, one of the most disrespectful things I ever witnessed at Nationwide was when it was a different singer, and everyone yelled Leo. Maybe its just me, but I thought that was terrible and classless, the look on her face seemed to think so as well.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
While I like Leo, one of the most disrespectful things I ever witnessed at Nationwide was when it was a different singer, and everyone yelled Leo. Maybe its just me, but I thought that was terrible and classless, the look on her face seemed to think so as well.
I wouldnt say disrespectful as much as ignorant...

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I actually kind of thought it was funny. I mean, yeah, if you want to be sensitive about it, it's rude, but on the other hand "theresa!" isn't as fun to yell as Leo.

The beauty of the "LEO!" yell is that it's not coached, wasn't asked for and just happens each and every time...truly one of the original, organic traditions this young organization has....I'd like to think that even if Leo didn't do it, we'd still always yell Leo...so much so that years from now, they'd ask "why do they yell Leo there??"

Maybe it's just me, but those kinds of traditions are so much more meaningful than songs and what not.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Viqsi...I've been anti-firing for a long time, but I've gotta disagree with the general theme of your post. You seem to be saying that Howson shouldn't be fired because he made a bunch of big name signings. That's sort of the anti-thesis of the argument that you (and I) were making 2 months ago.

If this team flops, I'd hope that the pro-firing crowd wouldn't resort to revisionism because by then, Howson will have been around 5 years. A bad 11-12 will pretty much validate the idea that Howson doesn't know what he's doing. These moves have been nice, but I sincerely hope that the powers that be make their decisions on Howson's job status based solely on how the team does on the ice, not on how columnists rate our offseason. 5 years is a solid sample size for GMs. By that point, the drafts made earlier in a GMs tenure will have matured, the bad contracts your predecessor signed will be off the books, and it will finally be his team. Howson should be held to the same standard.

As the all-star break rolls around and this team is out of it, Howson should be fired. What happened this summer shouldn't have bought him any time.
I don't have time to read all posts these days but this is a good one... To bad Howson didn't lead last summer as he has done this summer. In the end if the Jackets miss the playoffs with a team built to make the 8th seed (the current Blue Jackets are built to squeak into the Western Conference playoffs) he will be fired (if the owner has any NHL sense that is).

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Either tank or trade up at the deadline. One may not like the prospective of "tanking" but the results are undeniable: Pittsburgh and Chicago have won cups. Tampa Bay came close. Detroit and Boston have good development programs, but to get where they are takes many years.

Essentially what I'm saying is shoulda/coulda/woulda. We needed higher picks in '06-'10 because we don't have the infrastructure to develop players selected #5-21 into top tier players. We don't have the personnel that Detroit and Boston have.

Are we better than we were last year? Yes, by a good margin. But we're not positioning for a cup run, we are simply trying to stay afloat. If all you want is to make the playoffs this year and win a game or two, then this is your team. If you want someone to rival Chicago or Pittsburgh in a few years, then Edmonton's route is more appropriate.
Good post

The Jackets could have a decent season based on the summer signings and depth, if and only if Steve Mason or his replacement knows how to win NHL hockey games. The weak spot is goal tending, this is common knowledge throughout the world of NHL information.

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:01 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Hey Robert,

long time no talk, you are probably very happy with the direction of the Sabres. Nice to have a committed ownership group there with Darcy. They seem to have made a number of aggressive moves. Buffalo should compete long into the playoffs eh?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Nordique

Great addition, and affordable. The PP should be quite respectable this year.

Downside, I'd only count on him for 40 games this season.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
osurh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Great addition, and affordable. The PP should be quite respectable this year.

Downside, I'd only count on him for 40 games this season.
He had one season with an injury. How does that = 40 games this season?

2000-01 74 games
2001-02 81 Games
2002-03 80 games
2003-04 82 Games
2005-06 81 Games
2006-07 82 Games
2007-08 80 games
2008-09 82 Games
2009-10 75 Games
2010-11 29 Games with knee injury

osurh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by osurh18 View Post

2000-01 74 games
2001-02 81 Games
2002-03 80 games
2003-04 82 Games
2005-06 81 Games
2006-07 82 Games
2007-08 80 games
2008-09 82 Games
2009-10 75 Games
He's old, count on 40 games, everything else is bonus.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Mark Recchi was in his 40's and played 80 games in each of the last 3 seasons.

I think 40 games is a bit conservative considering Prospal's history.

Nik Lidstrom is 40 has not played less than 76 games in a season with the exception of the strike shortened 94-95 season.

being over the age of 35 doesn't mean they can't play a full season.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhydoesCanadahateus View Post
Nothing to do with this thread, but I don't understand this obsession with Leo. He's fine and all, but I've heard better.

Frankly, I prefer a small variety instead of the same guy every time. But whatever, there are more important things in the world.

So, yeah, Howson addressed a need brought on by injury. Let's see how he adapts during the season.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Nothing to do with this thread, but I don't understand this obsession with Leo. He's fine and all, but I've heard better.
There may be better, but he's ours.

That's how I see it anyway.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post

Agreed. Plus, I really like the traditional style of the anthem the way Leo does it. It drives me nuts when you get someone up there who warbles so much, it practically sounds like they're yodeling. I think that's disrespectful and makes it all about the singer, not the anthem. Leo does a great job, and, though maybe it's a silly thing, the "LEO!!!" at the beginning is fun.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post

Yeah, I can't really relate. I don't feel better having Leo sing it that I did before he got here. Actually there was a chick that sang it from time to time around the same time that Leo started to become the regular that I like a lot better personally.

I'm not trying to put him or anyone else down and I understand traditions, but having the same guy sing the national anthem all the time does nothing for me personally. At least to the level of obsession and how we protect him. He's not to the level of a regional treasure.

Frankly I would rather have Leo for around 20 games and the post season and get some variety and other local talent. I know I won't get much support, but that's what I would prefer.

Thanks, but I don't want to derail what's left of this thread.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by osurh18 View Post

2000-01 74 games
2001-02 81 Games
2002-03 80 games
2003-04 82 Games
2005-06 81 Games
2006-07 82 Games
2007-08 80 games
2008-09 82 Games
2009-10 75 Games
I used to say the same thing about Modin. It was true at the time, too. We all know what eventually came to pass, though.

Good thing CBJ really only need to count on Prospal for 40-ish games anyway. If he can deliver for that long, I'll be satisfied, really.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Obvious troll ... the only way to make the troll go away is to not feed him. Probably a bitter Quebec fan who thinks (incorrectly) that they are getting the Jackets after next year.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Obvious troll ... the only way to make the troll go away is to not feed him. Probably a bitter Quebec fan who thinks (incorrectly) that they are getting the Jackets after next year.

Lololol.

Nordique is a Jackets fan and a long time poster here.

07-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Lololol.

Nordique is a Jackets fan and a long time poster here.
I should have thrown in the sarcasm face ... it was nothing more than a little playful humor.

(no harm intended, Nordique)

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
My only response to this is that you never tank on purpose. Never.
I don't think that tanking intentionally is a very defensible stance, so I won't take it.

However, as I previously stated, winners are either built through decades of work (Bruins/Detroit) or very high draft picks (Hawks/Pittsburgh). It isn't like the Jackets franchise loses less money for finishing 8th to last as opposed to dead last.

If I had it my way, the NHL entry draft would have a short 'memory' so that teams would also be weighted, in addition to how their regular season went, with how their seasons in the past few years went too.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote