HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Prospect Updates - Pt II

Old
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Aaron Sims breaks down Milwaukee's possible defense, this season...interesting note -- Ekholm's contract stipulates that if he doesn't make our roster, he can opt to go back to Sweden instead of playing in Milwaukee, which falls in line with comments he made back in the spring about not being impressed with the idea of playing in the AHL over being a star at home:

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/hom...2010/01/072611

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Tyler Biggs is apparently the only 2011 first rounder that was committed to going NCAA that still plans to do so. Connor Murphy is expected to announce today that he's going to Sarnia of the OHL instead of MU.

That's the trend more and more these days.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Aaron Sims breaks down Milwaukee's possible defense, this season...interesting note -- Ekholm's contract stipulates that if he doesn't make our roster, he can opt to go back to Sweden instead of playing in Milwaukee, which falls in line with comments he made back in the spring about not being impressed with the idea of playing in the AHL over being a star at home:

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/hom...2010/01/072611

Have the Preds ever suited up six defensemen who had all been drafted by us?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:20 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Not a chance. There's always been an SOB, Grebeshkov, Zidlicky type of player. Maybe this is the year if Cube and Lebderp don't make it.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
i think last year was as close as it got with 5--weber-suter-klein-blum-franson and whenever sulzer was in there

although last year the two games sulzer played it could have been weber-suter-klein-hamhuis-sulzer-franson.

but to be honest, i am too lazy to look it up

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
why? I could see why he comes to those conclusions.
Watson isnt nearly as physical as Clutterbuck and has more offensive upside imo. And Josi will be on a number 1 pair

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Have we done a prospects poll yet? If not I'll set it up, we should be able to finish it before training camp.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Not a chance. There's always been an SOB, Grebeshkov, Zidlicky type of player. Maybe this is the year if Cube and Lebderp don't make it.
Actually, we came very close to starting the 2009/10 season with all home grown talent. Poile even bragged to the media that it would have been the first time in recent NHL history. But we ended up signing Bouillon in the middle of camp.

If Bouillon is still injured by opening night then I'd bet we do ice all Predator draftees.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Watson isnt nearly as physical as Clutterbuck and has more offensive upside imo. And Josi will be on a number 1 pair
have yoou watched watson? he was one of the guys beating and banging in prospect camp when he could

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Have we done a prospects poll yet? If not I'll set it up, we should be able to finish it before training camp.
Go for it. Guessing you'll use HF's criteria for a prospect?

Old
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
If Bouillon is still injured by opening night then I'd bet we do ice all Predator draftees.
I swear I just said that.

Quote:
Maybe this is the year if Cube and Lebderp don't make it.
Oh yeah, I did.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
have yoou watched watson? he was one of the guys beating and banging in prospect camp when he could
Yes, maybe not as much as you though. He probably is more physical than i think. But Clutterbuck is one of the hardest hitters in the game. You think thats Watson? And the guy who wrote that said 3rd liner. Im confident he will be a top 6 forward.

Old
07-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I swear I just said that.

Oh yeah, I did.
LOL That statement wasn't directed towards you. No need to get fresh

Old
07-28-2011, 12:11 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yes, maybe not as much as you though. He probably is more physical than i think. But Clutterbuck is one of the hardest hitters in the game. You think thats Watson? And the guy who wrote that said 3rd liner. Im confident he will be a top 6 forward.
Not only that, but Clutterbuck is basically a offensively gifted Tootoo......

While Im not completely sold on Watson being a top 6 player I still think he has tremendous upside where he could very easily surprise me.

I also think Josi could easily be a first pair. Wasnt he hurt at the time Blum got called up and was the reason Blum got the shot? Also Ads fans have said he's as good as Blum if not better and we all have seen a little of what Blum offers.

I thought his assessments of all the other players were pretty darn close, but the Watson one to me was the most far fetched. I'd say He's (Watson) closer to the mold of Hartnell, IMO.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:52 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Not only that, but Clutterbuck is basically a offensively gifted Tootoo......

While Im not completely sold on Watson being a top 6 player I still think he has tremendous upside where he could very easily surprise me.

I also think Josi could easily be a first pair. Wasnt he hurt at the time Blum got called up and was the reason Blum got the shot? Also Ads fans have said he's as good as Blum if not better and we all have seen a little of what Blum offers.

I thought his assessments of all the other players were pretty darn close, but the Watson one to me was the most far fetched. I'd say He's (Watson) closer to the mold of Hartnell, IMO.
I agree with most of his assessments outside the 2 i commented on. Hartnell sounds like a better comparison.

Yea im pretty sure Josi had just gotten hurt and thats what gave Blum the nod. Josi had a damn long pt streak last year to. Josi has most upside imo

Old
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
They actually had a hard time sending Beck back to the juniors this year. Same was said about Ellis. In the long run it's better that they had the time to develop their games more.

From what I've seen of Beck in camp, he definitely stands out among our prospects. Always shooting, finding the open spots, hitting the back of the net. While it's not a game the guys that have stood out usually are the ones that make it. Ellis has always stood out and took a leadership role early on. He was always talking out on the ice. Other guys have done the same thing in years past.

I have a funny feeling Beck will be one of those uncovered gems.
Does Beck play LW or RW. ive seen him listed as both

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:05 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Watson didn't play that way in Milwaukee in the playoffs last season. He has the size to hammer people. I kept waiting for him to do it. I hope that you are correct. He looked like another Craig Coxe (6'7" and not muscling people) in the little that he played here. Maybe it was being new in the AHL or the pressure of not getting a penalty in the playoffs.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Does Beck play LW or RW. ive seen him listed as both
Beck played RW in Milwaukee in about 10 playoff games.

Old
07-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Watson didn't play that way in Milwaukee in the playoffs last season. He has the size to hammer people. I kept waiting for him to do it. I hope that you are correct. He looked like another Craig Coxe (6'7" and not muscling people) in the little that he played here. Maybe it was being new in the AHL or the pressure of not getting a penalty in the playoffs.
Watson is 19 and likely experienced a bit of shock at the difference in speed at the AHL level versus the OHL. It's kinda hard to hit people when the puck and people are flying by...

I think he'll be fine. He's grown a lot in the past year since being drafted and will continue to fill out his frame. I'm gonna bet that he's more ready to compete at that level when his junior season ends this year. Watson went from Milwaukee to Calgary to train and live with Martin Gelinas leading up to prospect camp. I think he realized what was needed to be done and is on his way to doing it...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:39 PM
hockey diva

While I question alot of management moves, hiring Gelinas as head of player development is not one of them.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Watson is 19 and likely experienced a bit of shock at the difference in speed at the AHL level versus the OHL. It's kinda hard to hit people when the puck and people are flying by...

I think he'll be fine. He's grown a lot in the past year since being drafted and will continue to fill out his frame. I'm gonna bet that he's more ready to compete at that level when his junior season ends this year. Watson went from Milwaukee to Calgary to train and live with Martin Gelinas leading up to prospect camp. I think he realized what was needed to be done and is on his way to doing it...
Watson got from A to B well. He just poked with his stick rather than plastering people against the boards to get the puck. Like I said, he was new in the AHL and probably wanted to avoid getting a penalty. You are probably right about him, I just didn't see it in the few games he played in Milwaukee. A whole season makes for a better evaluation than a few games.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Ziostilon

is Jani Lajunen coming over? what are your expectations of him

and he seems a bit small to play center, maybe throw him onto wing to start

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Seth Lake

Predators prospects Austin Watson and Chase Balisy lead the Team USA contingent in goals scored after Day 1 of the US World Junior Championship Evaluation Camp at Lake Placid scoring two apiece for their respective teams in the Blue-White scrimmage.

Blue beat White 4-3 today, so bragging rights are Watson's for the night. Rematch tomorrow before round-robin tournament begins with Finland and Sweden participating as well...

Miikka Salomaki is also participating in the camp playing as a member of Team Finland.

Old
08-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
is Jani Lajunen coming over? what are your expectations of him

and he seems a bit small to play center, maybe throw him onto wing to start
Yes, Lajunen will be starting his North American pro career this season and is expected to begin the season with our AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.

We are a bit loaded at forward this year in Milwaukee. I'd expect him to see time at both center and wing throughout the year depending on who is on the roster at the time.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, Lajunen will be starting his North American pro career this season and is expected to begin the season with our AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.

We are a bit loaded at forward this year in Milwaukee. I'd expect him to see time at both center and wing throughout the year depending on who is on the roster at the time.
I hope that you are correct. The Admirals offense came and went last season.