HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Red Bull

Old
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
GLG

vCash: 500
Red Bull

Anyone drink this before a game? If so:

(a) how much time before the game do you drink it
(b) do you find it provides you with a boost
(c) what are the "crash" effects if any

Thanks,
GLG

GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I drank it once right before a game, and after two shifts I could feel my heart pumping out of my chest. I felt jittery too. I would stay away from it.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Not a good idea to take it before a game.

JustinYS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Red Bull is made so that 22 year olds have something to mix with vodka. Drink Gatorade Prime, no caffeine in that.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No. It has way too much sugar, which will cause your insulin levels to jump all over the place, give you a slight boost of energy, and then make you crash to the floor. I also don't like the idea of drinking that much caffeine right before a game, gets your heart beating too fast.

If it's a late night game, I'll have a cup of coffee or a diet soda an hour before game time. Otherwise, it's either plain water or Powerade Zero for me (I'm doing a low carb diet so I need the electrolytes).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrelle Lundqvist View Post
I drank it once right before a game, and after two shifts I could feel my heart pumping out of my chest. I felt jittery too. I would stay away from it.
Seriously, you're just abusing your cardiovascular system with that stuff.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Pog Form

Too much sugar, too much caffeine.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
MNWild9

i normally drink 2 before a game with a powerbar. i've noticed that it helps a bit. but make sure to still drink water cause it will help with the crash

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Fred89

In my opinion Redbull is a killer for performance..

Can be used in the gym where you need to be strong for little time every series, but used for a dynamic sport could be also dangerous..

Never used in 10 years of basketball, won't use it in hockey for sure either!

Just go with gatorade or similar, plain water with something inside also (in italy we have Polase, MGK-Vis) and you'll be ok.

I used the second option all through last autumn-winter-spring for every skating session and worked fine.

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:56 AM
shoeshine boy

I used to drink the sugar-free version before games but not anymore.
now I either do a energy gel pack or the Gatorade Prime about 30 minutes before game time. I feel I get an extra little jump out of my legs.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
FiveHole23

Should try a nitric oxide preworkout supplement like jack3d. That stuff is awesome, alot better then redbull. Go easy on it the first couple times though.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I drink an 8 oz sugar free red bull driving to the rink, never had a problem. Avoid sugar, avoid larger containers and you'll be fine. Gretzky drank 4 cups of coffee before games, how did he perform?

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I drink an 8 oz sugar free red bull driving to the rink, never had a problem. Avoid sugar, avoid larger containers and you'll be fine. Gretzky drank 4 cups of coffee before games, how did he perform?
That's exactly what I used to do. If you're properly hydrated it makes a huge difference. An 8 ounce sugar free red bull isn't much. If I have an earlier game I drink about 1/4 of an 8 ounce bottle of BSN Endorush before I leave. If I have a later game I have something with caffeine much earlier. Otherwise it can be a chore to just get up pack the bag and drive to the rink. The trick is to not drink it too early, and to drink plenty of water with it. I've never had negative effects that way.

You'll see guys in the pros with a Red Bull, a Gatorade and a water on the shelf of their stall a lot of the time, drinking from all 3.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:51 PM
MooseMcD
Rookie User

I've used Gatorade prime, Red Bull and Jack3d (obviously not at the same time!) before games this past year and I'll say this:

Gatorade Prime: Never notice a difference, but me and one of my teammates took it before about 50% of our games this season anyway.

Red Bull: Never really noticed a difference. Tried the small can a couple of times and the monster can at least once, but no real difference. Didn't feel jittery or uncomfortable, but it didn't effect my performance at all really. One and only benefit was that I used to get tired on the bus trip and be half asleep in the locker room before games but Red Bull fights that.

Jack3d: Loved it.

MooseMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
That's exactly what I used to do. If you're properly hydrated it makes a huge difference. An 8 ounce sugar free red bull isn't much. If I have an earlier game I drink about 1/4 of an 8 ounce bottle of BSN Endorush before I leave. If I have a later game I have something with caffeine much earlier. Otherwise it can be a chore to just get up pack the bag and drive to the rink. The trick is to not drink it too early, and to drink plenty of water with it. I've never had negative effects that way.

You'll see guys in the pros with a Red Bull, a Gatorade and a water on the shelf of their stall a lot of the time, drinking from all 3.
Agreed. The key, like with almost anything we talk about in this forum is to find out what works for you. You cannot take 1 person saying they crashed and decide not to use it. What kind of shape was that person in? Were they drinking a high caffeine/high sugar drink? How much sleep did they get the night before? What was their diet like? How old are they? Were they drinking it on the bench instead of water? Way too many factors to just blindly say Red Bull is bad for you!

Old
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
blueberrydanish

Do not want =[

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Guffaw

Stay away from energy drinks/caffeine before and during playing. Caffeine is a diuretic so you'll get dehydrated faster. Guarana, i don't know. Too much stress on the heart with a high intensity sport.

My mix before and during.

In a 32oz. water botttle

16oz. water
16oz OJ
2/3 of a 1/4 teaspoon salt.

You'll find the same proportions of salt, potassium, and sugar in gatorade, but mines cheaper and no artificial colors or flavors that will give you cancer in 20 years.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:00 AM
AIREAYE

Good call on the potassium, a few people have told me that lack of potassium is a reason as to why my calves cramp after/during hockey, does that make sense?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good call on the potassium, a few people have told me that lack of potassium is a reason as to why my calves cramp after/during hockey, does that make sense?
Lack of potassium has all sorts of negative effects on your muscles, particuarly the legs for some reason. It's something worth watching in your diet, and eating a supplement if that's what it takes to stay at a steadily healthy level.

Old
07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Indeedly do - thats why I always have bananas around and try to have one a day or atleast on a day Ill play. Having salt also helps with cramps apparently too good thing I salt everything I eat....or bad thing =<

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Hacker10

My heart would probably explode if I drank a Red Bull and then played hockey.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
My heart would probably explode if I drank a Red Bull and then played hockey.
Seriously. Pumping your system with artificial stimulants and then doing heavy aerobics for a couple hours on a regular basis is asking for problems down the line. People saying they have "no problems" doing this should consider that heart problems build up over time. And taking NHL players as role models might not be the greatest idea, considering they have been known to use everything from cigarrettes to steroids as performance enhancers. They have millions of dollars on the line, we don't.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Guffaw

Now that I think of it before games back in college I used to drink 1-2 cups of coffee with plenty of water. I also ate antacids I was an exercise physiology major and we went over a few studies that showed it delayed the lactic acid response in SOME subjects by making your system more basic(less acidic). I never felt anything and it sure didn't help my goal scoring so who knows.

As much as I don't want to get into the caffeine/energy drinks I'm almost 39 and these beer league games are at 10pm after working in the heat all day. Maybe just a strong cup of coffee.

Old
07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Now that I think of it before games back in college I used to drink 1-2 cups of coffee with plenty of water. I also ate antacids I was an exercise physiology major and we went over a few studies that showed it delayed the lactic acid response in SOME subjects by making your system more basic(less acidic). I never felt anything and it sure didn't help my goal scoring so who knows.

As much as I don't want to get into the caffeine/energy drinks I'm almost 39 and these beer league games are at 10pm after working in the heat all day. Maybe just a strong cup of coffee.
I'm 38, feel the same way.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm 38, feel the same way.
Maybe there's something to this caffeine thing. Had a cup of really strong black coffee at 9pm. Game is at 10pm. I feel good and must have had at least 7-8 shots on goal. Around 11:30 pm tied 3-3 with 2 min. to go I get the game winner. My first goal of the season (only my second game) and first game winner of my career( 2 1/2 seasons)

The coffee is here to stay