Mark Scheifele (C) - Barrie Colts (OHL)
Selected Round 1, #7 Overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

-----------------------------------

Number 2

Carl Klingberg (LW) - Timra IK (SEL)
Selected Round 2, #34 Overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

-----------------------------------

Number 3

Patrice Cormier (C) - Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
Selected Round 2, #54 Overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:50 AM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

vCash: 500
After adding all the rookie totals to the poll, Cormier won in a close 17-16 vote over Gregoire

Vote and don't forget to tell me in the comments who I should add to the poll next

Old
07-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Jason Gregoire again for me. I like his 2 way game and feel he'll be a good 3rd line winger, with the possibility of filling in on the 2nd from time to time.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Jason Gregoire again for me. I like his 2 way game and feel he'll be a good 3rd line winger, with the possibility of filling in on the 2nd from time to time.
What he said.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
PensFan6687

Paul Postma should have gone ahead of Patrice Cormier. Patrice is a head case. Personal defects that caused him to be removed from the Flyers and we all know what he did in Junior (of course I'll get the mods on me yet again.. *runs and hides*)... but I want to give this kid a break and hope he turns it around with us. See, being positive.

I also love Postma's game. Wonder what he learned playing with Chris Chelios.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:43 AM
TroubaFan1

I vote Paul Postma. I cant vote in this poll yet.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Paul Postma should have gone ahead of Patrice Cormier. Patrice is a head case. Personal defects that caused him to be removed from the Flyers and we all know what he did in Junior (of course I'll get the mods on me yet again.. *runs and hides*)... but I want to give this kid a break and hope he turns it around with us. See, being positive.

I also love Postma's game. Wonder what he learned playing with Chris Chelios.
Care to elaborate? Flyers?

Old
07-28-2011, 01:56 AM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Ya I am surprised that Postma has fallen this far.. he has a higher ceiling than Cormier or Gregoire and is closer to being NHL ready than Scheifele and Klingberg ... I know I'm higher on Postma than most but I was surprised that he wasn't in the top 3 and based on the last poll's totals he might not even be in the top 5

Old
07-28-2011, 01:56 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Paul Postma should have gone ahead of Patrice Cormier.
For me, he's a solid offensive Dman with deficiencies in his own zone. Postma projects as bottom pairing Dman in the NHL. All of this doesn't spell Top5 prospect to me. (edit: Cormier was drafted by NJ not Philly)

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
Ya I am surprised that Postma has fallen this far.. he has a higher ceiling than Cormier or Gregoire and is closer to being NHL ready than Scheifele and Klingberg ... I know I'm higher on Postma than most but I was surprised that he wasn't in the top 3 and based on the last poll's totals he might not even be in the top 5
I have to disagree that he has a higher ceiling. IMO he's actually closer to his ceiling or possibly has already reached it and I actually like Postma He's a solid player, but based on potential I just don't think it's higher than some of the other prospects.

Old
07-28-2011, 02:03 AM
TroubaFan1

Gotta go with Momentum on this one. I would of put Postma at number 3.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:32 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Care to elaborate? Flyers?
Sorry messed up. I had Patrice Cormier and Patrick Maroon mixed up concerning the whole Flyer issue thing. Didn't get much sleep the last two days. lol

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 590
Add Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel or Edward Pasquale.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:10 AM
PostmanPat1919

Should definitely be Gregoire for #4. I think he has more potential than Postma. Add Zachary Yuen or Pettersson-Wentzel.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:38 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I voted for Yuen. I think he's going to outright surprise many. Such a smart player all around, Defensively he is a rock and he will get better offensively as he matures. Personally think we got a steal when we selected him.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:01 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I voted for Yuen. I think he's going to outright surprise many. Such a smart player all around, Defensively he is a rock and he will get better offensively as he matures. Personally think we got a steal when we selected him.
I agree that we got a steal in Yuen, but he's not a better d-man prospect than Julian Melchiori IMO. Melchiori has top 4 ability and a higher offensive ceiling. He was put into more of a defensive role this season to compensate for Ryan Murphy's high tempo rushes. I see Yuen as more of a 5-6 d-man with a mean side to his game.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:12 AM
PostmanPat1919

Ah, missed that Yuen was already up on the board. In that case, add either Pettersson-Wentzel or John Albert.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:08 AM
jazznik
Thrashers forever

Postma, add Pettersson-Wentzel

jazznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Gregoire, for all the same reasons I picked him in the last round.

My list currently stands at,

1. Scheifele
2. Gregoire
3. Klingberg
4. Postma
5. O'Dell
6. Cormier

I really like Eric O'Dell too. This kid is likely going to get overlooked, but I think he has the potential to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. When O'Dell entered the OHL with Sudbury (2007-2008), not the highest of scoring teams over the last few years, he put up very, very impressive numbers and demonstrated some very nice offensive tools. In his first 26 OHL games, he notched 14 goals and 32 points. Which turned out to be impressive enough to get him selected 39th overall by Anaheim. What is pretty amazing about that is he was just 9 picks shy of being a 1st round pick... and he played just 26 OHL games that year.

The next two years (2008-2009 and 2009-2010,) O'Dell continued impressive on mediocre Sudbury teams with back to back 30+ goal seasons and close to the 70 point mark.

Last season, his overage year in Sudbury was supposed to be his best yet, but missed time due to heart issues. He had a hole in his heart, something he was born with. He missed half the season last year but when he did return, he returned in great fashion potting 20 goals in 39 games and a total of 44 points.

I rememeber O'Dell coming to town last year. Only reason I do remember him was because he wore #91 and was the best player on the ice. Until looking the other day and seeing he was that guy wearing #91, I didn't know. I remember him to this day. Didn't know his name or much about him, but looking back I remember him. He was dominant.

In my opinion, O'Dell stands a good chance of becoming a top 6 forward at the NHL level, and if not that, a real good 3rd line forward. This kid has the tools, I have no doubt about that. I think he'll surprise.

O'Dell is a much more prolific offensive player than Cormier. And while I don't simply go by offense, it's interesting that these 2 are from the same 2008 draft class. O'Dell went 39th and Cormier went 45th.

I'm a firm believer Eric O'Dell is a fine prospect, and one thats high end potential is a top 6 forward, and if not that than a very good 3rd line forward.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-28-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Joe Hallenback

Shocked people are choosing Gregoire. He had solid College career but not spectacular. Especially considering there are prospects who have either much better pedigree or better seasons such as Postmas last year in the AHL

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Shocked people are choosing Gregoire. He had solid College career but not spectacular. Especially considering there are prospects who have either much better pedigree or better seasons such as Postmas last year in the AHL
There are a few guys who posted similar college numbers to Gregoire who are solid NHL'ers. And even some guys coming up through the ranks today appear similar and comparable. Not that that should be the lone bar in terms of projecting where these kids may end up as some post those numbers and never go on to do anything else in the AHL or NHL. I suppose at this point with these being kids and prospects, it's a bit difficult to get a true sense of where they will end up 2-5 years from now. But considering how poor the cupboard is here, I don't think Gregoire is too bad of a choice given the cards we're dealt here. Not only that and our lack of high-end depth, but I'm a believer that Gregoire has the tools to become a solid top 9 winger.

Carolina's top rated prospect Zac Dalpe is who I compare him too and have hopes Gregoire is a similar player. Both are considered solid two-way players who have a knack for scoring, but not overly flashy. Dalpe is without question more advanced than Gregoire as he just finished a solid rookie campaign in the AHL posting 23 goals and 57 points in 61 games. Where their offensive numbers pan out is a bit difficult to pin point, but nonetheless both Dalpe and Gregoire are pretty impressive and comparable prospects, in my opinion.

Old
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Numbers never look that good in college, but Gregoire would be similar to Zajac with a solid two way game, and he's older so may be more NHL ready. Im not saying he'll be as good as Zajac but comparble numbers and good in all three zones.
Zajac - 36 and 47 points at UND
Gregoire - 37 and 43 points at UND last two years

Camp will be fun to watch this year as these guys battle for the bottom six spots.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Gregoire, for all the same reasons I picked him in the last round.

My list currently stands at,

1. Scheifele
2. Gregoire
3. Klingberg
4. O'Dell
5. Cormier

I really like Eric O'Dell too. This kid is likely going to get overlooked, but I think he has the potential to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. When O'Dell entered the OHL with Sudbury (2007-2008), not the highest of scoring teams over the last few years, he put up very, very impressive numbers and demonstrated some very nice offensive tools. In his first 26 OHL games, he notched 14 goals and 32 points. Which turned out to be impressive enough to get him selected 39th overall by Anaheim. What is pretty amazing about that is he was just 9 picks shy of being a 1st round pick... and he played just 26 OHL games that year.

The next two years (2008-2009 and 2009-2010,) O'Dell continued impressive on mediocre Sudbury teams with back to back 30+ goal seasons and close to the 70 point mark.

Last season, his overage year in Sudbury was supposed to be his best yet, but missed time due to heart issues. He had a hole in his heart, something he was born with. He missed half the season last year but when he did return, he returned in great fashion potting 20 goals in 39 games and a total of 44 points.

I rememeber O'Dell coming to town last year. Only reason I do remember him was because he wore #91 and was the best player on the ice. Until looking the other day and seeing he was that guy wearing #91, I didn't know. I remember him to this day. Didn't know his name or much about him, but looking back I remember him. He was dominant.

In my opinion, O'Dell stands a good chance of becoming a top 6 forward at the NHL level, and if not that, a real good 3rd line forward. This kid has the tools, I have no doubt about that. I think he'll surprise.

O'Dell is a much more prolific offensive player than Cormier. And while I don't simply go by offense, it's interesting that these 2 are from the same 2008 draft class. O'Dell went 39th and Cormier went 45th.

I'm a firm believer Eric O'Dell is a fine prospect, and one thats high end potential is a top 6 forward, and if not that than a very good 3rd line forward.
Loved reading this, thanks Guerzy!

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

If I had to write up a potential line-up based on our team/prospects and how I would project things for 3-5 years from now, I'd go the following.

* Remember, this is projections here, nothing to go by, so it's a lot of throwing crap at the wall and who knows what sticks.

Kane - Scheifele - Little
Ladd - Burmistrov - Wheeler/Fehr
Gregoire - O'Dell - Fehr/Wheeler
Cormier - Albert - Klingberg

Enstrom - Bogosian
[top 4 d-man] - Byfuglien
Yuen - Postma

Pavelec

Old
07-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Numbers never look that good in college, but Gregoire would be similar to Zajac with a solid two way game, and he's older so may be more NHL ready. Im not saying he'll be as good as Zajac but comparble numbers and good in all three zones.
Zajac - 36 and 47 points at UND
Gregoire - 37 and 43 points at UND last two years

Camp will be fun to watch this year as these guys battle for the bottom six spots.
Zajac was also a 6'2 200 pound first round pick that played in the World Juniors and was 19 when he put those numbers up not 20 and 21. Numbers are not a good way to determine what a guy will no in the NHL

I like Gregoire but we have much better,younger and solid guys at this point.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote